• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 4,502 Views, 396 Comments

Combat Magic - totallynotabrony



What does Rarity have in common with a werewolf, a vampire, a tall computer specialist, a psychic reformed redneck, and a foul-mouthed wizard? Well, at the moment they're all human. And saving the world.

  • ...
13
 396
 4,502

Chapter 21

Gritting her teeth with effort, Rarity attempted to duplicate the results of her previous efforts at creating fire. Loowit stood nearby, observing.

Pure power output had never been something Rarity focused on. Really, magical practice of any kind had not appealed to her. Exerting herself, Rarity finally managed to produce a few sparks from her hands.

“I can tell you’re working with a handicap,” said Loowit. “I can’t imagine how Purity’s group managed to develop a magical suppressant, but so far you’ve gone beyond your previous efforts even with the limitation.”

If her exhaustion was physical, Rarity would have been panting with effort. As it was, she felt drained in a way she couldn’t quite describe. She chastised herself for being a unicorn but never really exercising her full magical ability. The unfamiliar fatigue probably meant she wasn’t in shape.

Fitness wasn’t something Rarity typically thought about. Other than eating right and perhaps a few calisthenics to keep her posterior in shape, she was no athlete. All the training she’d done since arriving on earth—not just physical, but mental and magical—had certainly changed her outlook.

Summoning as much power as she could muster, from depths of herself she’d never drawn from before, Rarity concentrated her mind to the task. Squinting her eyes shut, she felt the warmth of the sun and somewhere deep below the soil under her boots the molten rock that simmered beneath the volcano. She noticed the breeze, and took in the small natural sounds the crater allowed. All the while, she kept channeling energy, concentrating.

“That’s very nice,” said Loowit.

Rarity opened her eyes and could see nothing but flames in front of her face. There was a glowing ball of fire supported directly in front of her. Rarity shrieked and tumbled backwards. The sphere of magic fire fell to the ground a few feet away and dissipated into nothing.

Rarity lay still for a moment, partly frightened and partly amazed that she had managed to do such a thing. It had taken an extreme amount of effort, but she was still a beginner.

She started to get up, noticing an unpleasant smell in the air. “Is that burning hair?”

Loowit chuckled. “Yes. You don’t look too bad, though.”

Rarity found a small scorched fringe in her hair. She grumbled, but nothing about this human body had really ever pleased her fashion-wise. She had managed to find pictures of human style online, and decided that it wasn’t quite up to Equestrian standards. While Rarity’s natural generosity urged her to do something, it would be impossible to create new outfits for seven billion people, even if she had all month. To that end, it seemed better to just blend in; it was remarkably relaxing to be out of the spotlight. Not to mention all the time she saved each morning by skipping makeup and coifing.

The accidental fireball seemed like a good time to call it a day. Rarity said goodbye to Loowit and headed for the parking lot.

Later that evening, Rarity helped to analyze the data gathered from the helicopter expedition. By carefully surveying the land, they could form most likely courses of action for their adversaries.

The plan was, fortunately, nothing to do with using Rarity as bait. She’d been slightly fearful of that when she’d first caught wind that there was a plan in place. Instead, it would concentrate on defense until Rarity was scheduled to go home. Failing that, evacuation was also a possibility. Loowit had allowed them to use Mount St. Helens as an alternate location if that became necessary. While Rarity was glad that a backup plan existed, she didn’t want to camp in a volcano.

To keep that from happening, she was determined to help out with the defense of the cabin. It seemed that the airborne analysis would help.

“But of course, nothing is guaranteed,” noted Bear. “They could scuba dive in the lake for all we know. Still, I think we’ve managed to identify a few places around the cabin to watch more carefully.”

Based on the layout of the woods, roads in the area, and other terrain features, a few rough maps were made with notes for important information. It reminded Rarity slightly of the “treasure maps” Sweetie Belle and her friends had made on occasion. Despite that, she made sure to study them carefully. She had watch duty that night.


The grayscale image transmitted to the monitor provided a slightly fuzzy view of the world below the drone. The operator skillfully steered the small remote controlled aircraft over the forest.

The panel van resembled something a small delivery company would use. It was boxy, and rather anonymous. That was exactly what Mr. Wright wanted when he set up this operation. No one would suspect it contained a sophisticated mobile command center.

Wright sat stiffly behind the drone pilot, still nursing his injuries. It was not particularly healthy to be out of bed so soon after being shot and in a car crash, but he had a job to do. Beside him, Purity waited patiently for a situation report.

She had arrived in the Portland area recently, and was adamant that she be directly involved in the unicorn hunt. Wright couldn’t blame her, and he certainly couldn’t refuse her request.

This evening, Purity was dressed in a black combat outfit, a stark contrast to her white hair and pale skin. In fact, every person in the van and others waiting nearby were geared up to fight. Before the night was over, they might have to.

Wright spoke in a low voice, summarizing his report. “We’ve collected as much information as possible. It’s taken a while, but we’ve slowly narrowed their location down to a few square miles of forest. From what the drone observed during the battle at the dam, we have a description of their vehicle.”

“Are you sure they don’t know about the surveillance?” asked Purity.

Wright nodded. “There was no indication they even knew the drone was there; they were more focused on the crop duster. The formula was at least partially successful at blocking ability. We’ll have more available next time. Tonight, we’re observing the forest, looking for anything that doesn’t have a harmless explanation.”

He leaned forward to indicate a map which had been heavily marked on. Possible locations for the government safehouse had been identified and discounted, one by one. The right answer hadn’t been revealed yet, but there were still other places to look.

Wright winced slightly in pain, trying to keep it off his face, but Purity noticed. “Are you all right? I told you to rest if you needed it.”

“I’m serviceable, madam.”

Purity nodded, noting his stubbornness but pleased to have his assistance. Wright had done much for her, and she’d tried her best to reciprocate.

The drone pilot marked another possible location on the map. It was a house by a lake in the middle of the forest. Purity nodded to Mr. Wright and he got up, heading for the doors at the back of the van. A small team would be sent to covertly investigate, and if the target turned out to be at that location the rest would join them in the raid.

Purity settled in to wait. If this wasn’t the target, that would be no problem. They would find it eventually. She had waited so long, a little more would not matter.