• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 8,968 Views, 241 Comments

Humanity in Equestria - SPkon107

  • ...
56
 241
 8,968

Chapter Nine: End of the Search

I was separated from my group. We were high in the mountains and it was snowing. I was fighting three griffins that have ambushed me. My weapons were on the ground and my helmet was off I had a cut over my forehead. I stood up slowly as one of the birds charged at me I used the beast’s weight against him and I dropped him on the ground. I twisted its arm until it released the sword. I stomped on the griffin’s skull and I broke it open. I turned to the other two who were ready to attack I picked up the sword. Snow began to fall blood fell over my right eye making it hard to see I charged to them. I swung the sword to the closes one as he blocked it I kicked him to the ground. The other bird tried to attack from behind but I quickly turned and I forced the sword to kill him comrade. I punched the Griffin across his face as it tried to regain concentration I ran to my pistol. I rolled on the ground as I grabbed the firearm. I was on my right knee I turned back to the griffin and I finished him off. His head jerked backward and forth before it hit the ground. I walked slowly to a dead tree. I leaned against it and I wiped off some of the blood I had over my eye and I said to myself.

‘Wow this is familiar.’ I walked to my backpack. I pulled out the foam. I looked for the proper nozzle. Normally when in battle we always use the nozzle that is attached to the can but in this case I wasn’t in battle. I pulled out a small nozzle and I attached it to the can. After I applied the foam I put on a bandage to prevent blood from exiting the skin then I grabbed my things. I thought. ‘Killing that Timberwolf with my pistol was what gave me away. Maybe I should use a crossbow or a sword to stay low.’ I kept the sword and I grabbed the auto crossbow. I did some hunting back on earth so I know how to use it. I lost the group when we crossed a log well I was the last to cross and the damn thing collapsed on me. I wasn’t far down so I was able to shout to them that would catch up to them. But of course I had to take a different route. The wind blowing into my face was terrible. Up in the mountains and with a cold wind. Memories of the nuclear winter flashed in and out. I began having visions of half collapsed buildings and frozen bodies on the ground.

I turned my head left and right until I saw a tunnel. I walked inside a tunnel. I hope that there weren’t any birds inside. There was no cover and barely anyway to maneuver any fighting whatsoever. I put on my helmet when I saw what was at the end of the tunnel. A door which was weird. I pushed the door. I found a warehouse I raised the crossbow in case if it was occupied by Griffins. Analyzing the area I found multiple areas where I can use as cover. I quickly ran to a tipped over wagon I looked over for and sign of movement suddenly, the side of the wagon was chipped off by gunfire. I duck quickly I saw something all on the side of me. A small round metal ball. After a few seconds another round was fire this time it hit the body of the wagon. I dropped the auto-bow and I grabbed my P-17. I stood over and I fired randomly it was quiet for a moment and I shouted.

“Ok come out! I won’t shoot if you don’t shoot at me.” The front door opened a unicorn stallion walked out. He fired again the ball bounced off my armor as the force threw me back but I was still on my feet. “Hey! Drop it!” I aimed my weapon at him. He was trying to reload. I fired two rounds on the door. He jumped. “Drop the fucking gun.” He dropped the weapon it seemed to look like a Flintlock. I walked to him. “Why the fuck are you firing at me.”

“Because you’re trespassing!” he did have a point. This was a wolf pack scenario.I lowered my rifle.

“Sorry I was lost and i…” I noticed the barrels of gunpowder. “… what’s with the gun powder?”

“That’s none of your concern!”

“The hell it is!”

“Look just leave ok!”

“No. You have plenty of gunpowder to supply an entire platoon.”

“So I make firearms so what?! I can fix and make anything that runs on steam, clockwork or combustion engine and I specialize in experimental machinery such as plains, airships, automobiles and weaponry like Flintlocks, revolvers and muskets and I test them myself!”

“Oh. Well looks like I came across a wolf pack scenario or in your case a lone wolf.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Nothing.”

“Very well.” he looked at my rifle. “How do you make that thing fire more than one shot. Do you have weapons like the other creature?”

“Other?”

“Yes. I found him just yesterday. He was in the early stages of hyperthermia. Come I’ll take you to him.” I

followed him inside. His placed was filled with all kinds of machinery. Airships, weapons, cannons, oversized gears, and steam engines. We walked up stairs when he opened the door I saw a human soldier. I walked up to him and I said.

“Are you ok trooper?” he opened his eyes slowly. Surprised to see me he answered.

“Yes.” He has short cut hair was obsidian black and thick with gel, spiking upwards in an almost harsh manner. Standing at what I’d guess as 5’8’’...5’9’’ maybe, he wouldn’t have come across as all that intimidating; that was until I got a good look into his eyes. Eye would be the correct term, actually, as his right eye was covered by a simple elasticised patch. His other wasn’t much fun to look at either, grey and lifeless as ash, reminding me of the sour cold of the nuclear winter that brought nothing but a dead sky and blizzards of ash day-in-day-out. His flesh was well tanned, so much so he could well have been Hispanic mixed, but I guess I’ll hear it from him soon enough.

“What’s your name?”

“Zack Ryder. I’m a Corporal.”

“What happened to you?”

“Well I was dropped from the ship but the strong winds of the mountains threw my pod off course so I crash

landed about 4000 yards east. I was ambushed by the Griffins. I left my backpack behind.”

“So you were left with nothing and you became ill with the cold.”

“I only had my weapons.”

“What do you have in the pack?”

“A message for you Gunnery-Sergeant Clearwater.”

“For me?”

“Yes.” I turned to the unicorn. “How’s the area?”

“Well I have seen multiple Griffin troops out there lately but I mostly see Timberwolves.”

“So it’s the Timberwolves I should worry about.”

“Yup.” I turned to Zack.

“Is your pod still there?”

“Yeah. I managed to close the door with my backpack inside before the enemy took it.”

“You have something else in there besides my message?”

“No just a few grenades, rations, ammo, and first aid kit…” he stopped and thought for a moment. “…wait I have a radio. We can call for back up if we needed.”

“Ok. You think you can be here while I go retrieve it?”

“Yeah I can stay.”

“Alright. I’ll be back.” I walked to the stairs. As I walked I dodge around a few items that were on the steps. I made my way to the door until the unicorn stopped me.

“Human.”

“Yeah.”

“If you must go. I recommend that you leave your weapons the sounds may cause an avalanche in the area

where the pod might be.” I thought for a minute thinking back on what happen when I killed the Timberwolf.

The sound of my gun didn’t caused an avalanche that I expected, but it exposed me to the enemy. I noticed the kind of pistol that Zack had. A Viper. Pulse pistols don’t make loud bang as a regular pistol.

“Tell Zack that I’m taking his pistol.”

“Will do.” I walked out the door with only five things. The pistol, sword, Auto-bow, NG-15 grenade and a grappling gun that Zack had. I walked through an entrance that was next to the tunnel door. this path made a left turn and it took me into the forest. The snow was soft and there was no wind. The birds were singing, small animals were running around. I need to know what this message was and as soon as Zack is well I’m going to find Rarity and the others. I heard water. Must be a river near I ran towards the source of the sound. I found the river but I also found a watermill. I said to myself.

“Maybe I can get a better look if I climb to the top.” I walked towards the mill but it seemed to be in terrible condition. I found a ladder I climbed on the unstable tool and I was on the roof. I looked around I saw a group of Timberwolves. They couldn’t climb here on the top roo-

CRACK

Too late. I looked back to see three of them on the roof. Only god knows why I shouted at them. I don’t know why I did that. “HEY GET OFF! This thing isn’t stable!” they took another step and one of them fell through the roof while the other two made their way toward me. I fired the arrows at the roof where the wood wolves were standing they fell though. I turned back to see of the rest of the wolves were still in the bottom. The beasts began to slam themselves against the watermill making it more unstable. I pulled out the grappling gun and I shot it at a distant tree. The soon as the rope was secured on three I tied the rope around a chimney. I used the gun to slide down the rope. I jumped to the snow before I hit the tree I turned back to see the wolves were still running towards me.

I tried to outrun them like a maniac until one dropped me on my belly. The wolf bit the back of my armor. I elbowed the timber creature and the head fell off. I never realized how frail they were. I stood up pulled out the sword that I had taken from the griffin. They surrounded me. Suddenly out of nowhere multiple arrows flew over me and struck the Timberwolves. I looked around I saw a figure walking towards me. It was the unicorn.

“Thought you could use some help.”

“Well thank you but, I had the situation handled.”

“Right.” The pony rolled his eyes. That annoyed me.

“I never got your name.”

“I’m Violet Runner but you can call me Runner.”

“Ok. Well since you are here I think we should get moving.”

“May I ask you a few questions as we walk?”

“Sure why not. I did that with Twilight so might as well.” the stallion answered in shock.

“Wait…Twilight as in Twilight Sparkle?”

“Yeah.”

“I know Twilight Sparkle.”

“You do?”

“Yeah. I met here when Rarity introduced me to them.”

“So you know Rarity as well?”

“Yup.” We had to crouched down because of the low trees.

“Well she was with me and the group until I was separated from them.”

“Wait she’s here?!”

“Yeah.”

“I haven’t seen her in a while since I moved out here.”

“She didn’t mention you at all.”

“I don’t blame her.”

“Well she has been busy lately.” Remembering since the beginning of our mission I couldn’t stop think about when Applejack threw her down the waterfall. I smiled a little.

“I know. So are you?”

“Am I what?”

“The warrior that saved the princesses? From the griffins when they first attacked.”

“Yeah…I think so.”

“You know you are seen as a hero right?”

“Didn’t care before and don’t care know.” I shrugged. “I’m just doing what’s right as a soldier.”

“I see.” We finally reached the pod. Normally the doors of the pods just blew open. But I think Zack used an

overwrite code so it would open and close. I inspected the pod for the emergency door release. Runner tapped on my shoulder.

“Um Sergeant?”

“Yeah.”

“Look.” I turned around I saw smoke in the sky. It seemed to be coming towards us. I turned to the pod and I

pulled the door release. The door flew open and I grabbed the backpack.

“Come on let’s go!” we began to run back to the warehouse. If anything that smoke was coming from the

enemy since their kingdom is in the east. We passed the watermill and then we reached the warehouse.

We entered the house Zack was already up and he was in his armor. I gave him his belonging and I grabbed my weapons I asked Runner who was loading his weapons. “You think we can use our firearms in this part of the mountain?”

“Of course I test my things here and they tend to explode!”

“I think Zack and I should fight in the outside and you provide us support in the top.”

“Ok. Just let me do something outside.” He walked outside I followed him to a pole. He used his magic to clear the snow. A lever. He pulled the lever but it wouldn’t move. He said to me. “A little help.”

“Oh…sure.” I walked to help him. We pulled at the same time and it began to move slowly.

CRACK

We managed to pull the lever down but in the end it snapped off. I turned to see something rising from the

ground.

“Barricades?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Yup. I mess around with a lot of explosives so I had to put these barricades here.” He was smart. Four rows of barricades. In the middle of the rows was a long barricade about nine feet long and three feet tall. On the ends of the rows were three separate barricades that were four feet long and five feet tall.

“Great now we have cover but, do you have an emergency exit?”

“Yes. I have one. It is for in case I have a large avalanche and the front door is blocked but I never use it.”

“Well we might today.” We heard the tunnel door screech. We turned with our weapons aiming at that direction.

The familiar unicorn walked in and I called out the name. “Rarity?”

“Steven!” she ran to me and gave me a hug. “We thought we lost you after you fell.” She turned around. “Hello Mr.Runner.”

“Hello Rarity.” I heard Spier’s voice.

“Sir.” I turned back. “It’s great we finally found you.” Zack called from behind.

“Joseph?”

“Hey Zack thought I never see you again.”

“The last time we talked was about the LA Kings game.”

“All I remember is you owing me 20 bucks.”

“Remind me after the war.” Rook and Rainbow were talking with Rarity.

I shouted. “Troopers regroup.” The three soldiers met up with me. “Ok here’s the thing. Oh I almost forgot. Spier, Rook this is Violet Runner. You can call him Runner. Going back to what I was saying. Runner and I have discovered that we might have the enemy coming towards this position. We’re going to try to hold them here. Zack has a radio with him. In case if we are forced back in the warehouse we’ll contact for support.”

Rook asked. “And what happens if there is no support?”

“Then we take the escape tunnel that Runner has in his home.” Runner was pulling a barrel of gunpowder. I said to Spier. “Joseph go help him.” He nodded. the two were setting a trap in the entrance. I walked up to the mares. “Rarity I need you and Rainbow Dash to provide us with fire power. Runner has weapons in the

warehouse I need the three of you to be inside while the rest of us attack from the front.” Rarity asked.

“Does this mean…I have to…k.k…” Rarity stuttered.

“Yes.” She wasn’t happy with the answer but it has to be done. Spier regrouped with us I gave Runner a radio so we can talk if need in battle then he entered his home. I was in the first barricade in the front along with Rook.

We were the only ones that have fought in a real close quarter combat so I gave him a sword that Runner let me use and I had mine. I asked Rook. “What happened with Twilight and the rest of our troops?”

“Haven’t heard from them since we left. Though we have seen smoke from behind us and heard a few

explosions. I think they’re having fun.” He gave a quick chuckle. It was about 12 and if we have to fight until the night then we will. The property of Runner was about 300 feet from the entrance to his house. If we are pushed back we do have the crap that he has lying around as cover. We named it the Junkyard. We heard a crack. We aimed our weapons. Spier and Zack were at the third row of barricades. We saw two balls roll out. They were smoke grenades.

I radioed Runner. “Runner eagle in!” he opened the shutter and he looked out while holding his musket. He shouted at us.

“You have mobile crystal shields!” the smoke cleared we saw those shield. I shouted.

“Take them down.” We fired at the birds. Those shields were thick the bullets chipped the shields to pieces until the hit the griffins that were behind them and for my Pulse Rifle the heat basically melted the crystal. This made it hard for us keep the enemy back. I grabbed my NG-15 and I threw it behind the shields. When it went off three of those shields were frozen by the liquid nitrogen. Rook was over the barricade fighting them with the sword so I jumped over and I did the same. I pulled out my sword and I fought the old fashion way.

I charged at one of them our swords met. I kicked the bird and I dismembered the head from the body. Fighting the enemy with swords was not as easy as when fighting them with modern weaponry. I was tackled by two birds at once. I manage to kill one but the other managed to stab my left shoulder. I back swung my arm forcing him off of me. I got up and I jabbed the blade into his belly. Another was about to attack but I was saved by Rarity who fired a musket shot from the top floor of the warehouse. There was a near silent “eep”. I backed away behind the barricade and Rook followed. Spier and Zack continued to fire while Rook did what was needed. He said.

“I don’t have much medical training but I know the basic.” He grabbed the bio-foam from my backpack and he applied into my wound. Then he wrapped the bandage around my shoulder and finally injected me with the proper medicine. He grabbed my right arm and he tapped my left shoulder. “Better.”

“Not until we’re through with them.” I pulled out my pistol and I fired six shots. We jumped over and we continued with the fight.

I found it easier to kill the enemy with my knife than with the sword. I was able to counter the weapons, kill and kick faster with knife. Runner killed the last bird from his room. Rook and I jumped back behind the barricades. It was quiet. Wind blowing and birds singing and some smoke was still rising. I saw the bodies of the griffins. I had a quick flashback of dead troops I shook my head. We began to hear loud thuds. Runner shouted.

“Kulles coming in!” we turned. Rook charged first I shouted.

“Rook no!” he raised his sword as he swung towards the body of the bird another Kull back swung its mace

hitting his helmet. I jumped over the barricade and I fired three shots from my pistol killing the first Kull. The

one behind it uppercut me and I fell on my back. The bird stuck me with its foot forcing me to cough out the air in me. As I gasped for air it swung again I moved my right arm forcing the weapon to the ground. I elbowed the griffin and I gave him a kick. I punched the one behind me but another back swung me and then punched me across the helmet. Rook wasn’t doing so well himself. The Kulles began to cross the barricade.

Spier and Zack kept firing. Rook got up and he grabbed his rifle. I shouted at him as I stood up.

“Go! Kill the ones who are crossing over! Assist the others and tell them to fall back into the junkyard!” he kept going on forward I pulled out my P-17 and I fired at every Kull. They fell like dominos. I turned back to see that the others were making their way to the Junkyard. I kept firing. I was not going to let them die here.

Runner shouted at me. “DEMOLER!” I looked at him and then I turned around. It was the tallest griffin that I have seen yet. Standing about nine feet and heavier armor than the Kulls. It grabbed my gun and it threw it to the junkyard and it dropped kicked me. I heard Rarity shout from the warehouse.

“STEVEN!” the Demoler grabbed me from my neck and he threw me over the barricades and I crashed into

something within the Junkyard and the impact forced my helmet off.

Rook shouted. “Clearwater!” he was going to get me but was held back by Zack before we was hit by a wave of arrows. I tried to get up but then I was lifted by the Demoler. He punched once and I stuck him twice across the face. He turned his face and he looked at me. He threw me to the left and I crashed into a wall. I fell on my belly. I tried to pick myself up but I struggled. The Demoler kicked me up and he grabbed me by the neck.

It said with a deep voice. “My face will be that last thing you’ll ever see.” He pulled out an oversize knife from

the sheath. He slammed my body against the wall and he raised the blade. He was about to stuck me but he was stabbed by another knife from behind. The beast shrieked in pain and he released me. He reached back and he slammed the other body against the wall and I saw a helmet fly off. I shouted.

“RARITY!” I grabbed the oversize knife that was on the ground and I cut his skull diagonally exposing his brain. I dropped the knife and ran to pick up Rarity. “Rarity!” she opened her eyes slowly and then closed them she had a black bruise on her forehead. Arrows began flying over us. I picked her up and I shouted to the rest of the troops. “Fall back! Fall back!” I grabbed my helmet and my rifle we ran inside I had a bruise on the bottom of my chin and a cut on my

cheek. I placed Rarity on the floor. “Spier! We need a medic!” he ran up to the unicorn. He inspected her while the rest of the guys were firing back at the griffins.

Spier said to me. “She has a pretty bad bruise on her forehead I’ll give her some medication to numb the pain. Don’t worry about her sir.” I nodded and I walked up to a window and I fired my rifle. The enemy was drawing closer. Those Kulles really hit us hard. Rook noticed something he called Runner.

“Yo Runner what are those things?! they look familiar!”

“Those are cannons! Take cover!” he ran down stairs as the sound of the cannon scared of hundreds of birds. The metal ball flew inside. Pieces of wood flew inside. Some of splinters hit Rainbow Dash in the open spaces of her armor. Spier quickly ran to her aid. I knew that it was time. I ran to the radio.

“This is Gunnery-Sergeant Clearwater. We need air support now.” It took a moment for a response. I kept firing my weapon until I heard the radio.

“This is Arch Angle. Air support is unavailable at this time. You’re on your own.”

“What! We are pinned and we-” I was cut off by another cannon ball crashing into the house. I turned back.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash were injured and Spier was treating them. We were pinned with no chance of winning. I turned to Runner. “The escape route.”

“Follow me.” I ran to Rarity and Spier picked up Rainbow. We followed him to the back of the warehouse. The unicorn dropped down a shelf and behind it was a door he turned the giant knob. We entered a room Runner closed the door as soon as the door click a cannon ball hit the door. Runner fell backwards. He got up and he walked to another door that was in the end of the room. Dust fell from the impacts of the cannons. The door opened and there was another room with another door.

Rook said. “What are we in? Looney Toons or something what’s with the doors?”

Our guide answered. “This is the last door but it’s also the tricky one. If you open it wrong it will kill you.” He was right the door had some kind of a puzzle as the door knob. He slide the pieces around and there was a small sand timer. This reminded me of a bomb. The pieces were mixed until they formed a gear. The door opened we walked outside the unicorn pulled out a piece of the puzzle.

“Why did you do that?” I asked.

“In case if the griffins find the doors and they try to crack the puzzle. The tunnel is rigged with explosives. so when the timer runs out. Boom.”

“I see.”

“Wha…what happened?” Rarity began to gain consciousness.

I said to the group. “You guys go on I’ll catch up.” They walked ahead. And I placed the mare in the snow.

“Mr. Clearwater why are you carrying me? And…why…is my head throbbing?”

“Well you saved my life and the Demoler slammed you pretty hard against the wall.”

“Well I couldn’t let my protector be killed can’t I?” she stopped and think about what she had done.

“Are you okay…” Spier radioed me.

“Sir we have located the rest of our troops! We need you over here!”

“What about the mares?”

“I’ll take care of them since I have the med. training sir.”

“Ok I’m on my way.” I picked up the unicorn and I ran to the battle. I met up with Joseph who was behind a rock with Rainbow Dash. I set Rarity down and I walked up to Rook and Zack. “Let’s go.” We ran to a ledge of a cliff where I saw Shining Armor along with Twilight and her friends and the remaining guards. Zack grabbed his grappling gun and he shot a hook into a tree behind and he dropped the rope to the bottom. I climbed down first. I ran to the fight. I fired my first shot and then Rook. Twilight saw me and shouted.

“Steven?!” I ignored her and I kept firing. With the last fight that we had I think that the enemy will start sending Kulles into the fight. I tackled on to the ground. I dropped my rifle and I beat him to death with my bare hands. I was angry not the fact that I was hurt but that Rarity and Rainbow Dash were hurt. I was to protect them and these birds made that impossible. Rook pulled me off of the griffin.

“He’s dead god damn it!” I stood up slowly. Trying to ignore what I did as Shining Armor walked up to me.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“As you can see. We lost about 25% of our guards. What do we do now?”

“I don’t know.” We heard screeching from behind. I turned back to see a group of Kulles charging towards us. We began to fire at them and the Royal Guard charged at them. The unicorns and Pegasi were taken out by the Kulles like ants and Raid. But the Earth ponies were able to stand up against them. I fired as I was walking backwards I killed one of them but when I turned a bird struck my rifle and then it kicked me to a rock. It walked up to me it pulled out its knife and it went for the kill. I grabbed its arm with the blade about an inch away from my neck. I began to push the knife away from me I punched it once. He kicked me and he lifted me up by my neck. Going for the final blow it stopped and it looked in the air. Out of nowhere bullets stuck the Kull making me fall to the snow and missiles struck the incoming griffins. I looked up to see two AV-8B Harrier II’s flew right over us.

I stood up slowly and I walked to my rifle Rook and Zack were cheering. We saw three chopper dropships land in front of us. The first to walk out of on them was a lieutenant. He Asian male about in his early forties has moderate amounts of hair (Doesn’t cover the forehead), Dark brown eyes, and facial hair around the chin and the lips. He walked up to me and said. “Gunner-Sergeant Clearwater?”

“Yeah.”

“I’m Lieutenant Tran I’m here to take you, the troops and Guards back to Canterlot.”

“Ok. I have three troops up on the…”

“We know.” I looked behind him I saw troops carrying Rarity and Rainbow in the chopper. He continued. “Did

you read the message?”

“No.”

“Well you should while you’re on the chopper.” He shouted. “Guards! Report to the choppers at once! You’re

going home!” the guards looked at each other and they slowly walked to the choppers I walked to the chopper where Rarity was. I sat down next to the unicorn followed by Rook, Joseph and Zack. I took the letter from the backpack and I opened it. I said out loud.

“This letter also involves the three of you.” The looked at each other and Rook said.

“Well read it. We’re not getting younger.” I rolled my eyes and I began to read the letter.

Author's Note:

Editing Credit goes to CillaxBrony and preread credit goes to Diomedes. they make this story more awsome than what it is. For the OC Challenge. the chosen characters will be announced later.