• Published 9th Nov 2012
  • 11,386 Views, 231 Comments

To Love a Mare - Mayhem Darkshadow



What starts off as a simple sleep over for Twilight and Equestria's Princess of the Night turns into an adventure filled with love, romance, lies, trials, friendship, and forgiveness. Though many ponies will question what happens they remain str

  • ...
61
 231
 11,386

Judgment

Written by: Mayhem Darkshadow
Edited by: psychohooves

********************

Chapter 4: Judgment

The week of Hearth's Warming Eve Twilight and her friends and their families all departed from Ponyville to Canterlot. Princess Celestia had invited them to spend the weeks of Hearth's Warming Eve and New Years at the castle. She stated in her letter that she and Luna wanted to spend time with close friends and also that it would be nice to have the castle full of people for the holidays. Literally a minute afterwards, Twilight received a note from Luna. Luna had arranged that Twilight's room was right across from her's, so Twilight would be able to easily slip into her room during the night. Twilight was looking forward to it, and so were are her friends. They arrived at the castle the Sunday of the week of Hearth's Warming Eve. Luna and Twilight had to control themselves; however, they did get some alone time when Luna took Twilight up to her room. They dropped off Twilight's belongings and then migrated to Luna's room. It's been a week since they've last seen each other. After they shut the door, Luna gave Twilight a warm kiss - their first ever kiss.

"I've missed you," whispered Luna.

Twilight kissed her back and then nuzzled her cheek against Luna's. "I've missed you too," she whispered back.

They sat on the bed and conversed for a little while.

"So," said Luna with a slightly peppy tone, "I was thinking maybe, if you're ready, tonight at dinner we could maybe tell everyone."

Twilight thought about what Luna said and then came up with an idea. "How about one more day of secrecy and then tomorrow at breakfast we tell everyone?" she asked.

Luna thought the idea over. She thought it was a good plan and didn't think one more day of secrecy would hurt. Nobody else knew about their relationship besides Spike, and much to their pleasure, he has kept the secret safe.

"Okay my little bookworm. One more day, and then we let everyone know tomorrow. I must say, I think I'll be glad to tell everyone," Luna told her.

Twilight agreed. She was pretty sure her friends and family were starting to grow suspicious of them. Luna was also pretty sure that Celestia was trying to figure out what was going on. It would be good when everyone would finally know about them.

"So, what should we do?" asked Twilight curiously.

"Hmm, well lunch isn't for a few more hours. Do you want to walk through the gardens?" Luna asked her.

Twilight nodded and laughed sweetly. "Let me get my coat," she giggled.

**********

The day wore on, nothing significant occuring. Lunch was uneventful, and so was dinner; however, it was good to talk to everypony. Twilight hadn't seen her parents in a month, and her brother and Cadance in a few months so they spent a lot of time catching up. After dinner everyone went their separate ways. During dinner Luna had whispered to Twilight to meet her up in her room for a surprise. After dinner Twilight had to dodge some conversations and a cupcake eating contest with Pinkie to make it up to the room. Luna was waiting for her on the bed. She was wearing her scarf and jacket, and she had Twilight's as well.

"What's the surprise?" asked Twilight with a confused look on her face.

"Put on your jacket and follow me out to the balcony," said Luna smoothly.

Twilight did what she was asked, and followed Luna out to the balcony; however, Twilight was confused, for there was nothing out of the ordinary.

"Luna?" asked Twilight.

"Don't worry. This isn't the surprise. Now climb on."

Luna bent down and gestured that Twilight climb on her back. Twilight did, and Luna took off into the sky. Twilight held on tightly as they flew up to the mountains around Canterlot. They landed on a flat alcove, and Twilight disembarked. There was a bed on the alcove, along with lots of blankets, a kettle and water, and a telescope.

Luna pulled Twilight over to the bed and they sat down on it. She got the water going and pulled the blankets over them to keep them warm.

"Luna I'm confused. What's the surprise you talked about?" asked Twilight, still very confused.

"Give me a second," laughed Luna.

Her horn began to glow as she began to summon her magic. She looked up and the sky and so did Twilight. The clouds began to slowly disperse to reveal the beautiful starlit sky. Twilight had never seen anything so beautiful. She could see every constellation clearly. It actually seemed like the stars were brighter then usual. Luna had outdone herself with this night.

"It's so beautiful," said Twilight as she admired Luna's work.

"It's all for you," said Luna sweetly.

She nuzzled Twilight softly, and then they looked at the stars and drank hot chocolate. The stars were bright, the sky was a deep, rich midnight blue, and there were even some shooting stars.

"This is so pretty Luna. I've never been able to look at stars like this," said Twilight as she gave Luna a soft kiss.

Luna was already blushing pretty hard and Twilight's kiss just made her blush even harder. "I'm glad you like it sweetie," said Luna quietly.

They spent a few hours up on the mountain until it got too cold for them. Luna used her magic to clear up everything, and then they flew back down to her room. They quickly prepared for bed and then climbed under the covers and snuggled so they could warm up. They were both a bit nervous as they fell asleep, tomorrow was they day that there secret would be revealed.

**********

Celestia sat at the table in the dinning room. Everypony was sitting around it talking, waiting for the chefs to bring them breakfast. Normally she would just have the cooks bring things out throughout the morning and people could just eat whenever they woke up; however, this morning though she wanted to have a formal breakfast with everyone present. As she looked around the table she noticed that two ponies were missing, her sister and Twilight. She didn't seem to be the only one who had noticed.

"Has anypony seen Twilight?" asked Applejack loudly.

Everypony simultaneously said no.

Celestia got up from her seat. "I'll go look for her and my sister. I'm sure Luna forgot to wake up, and Twilight is probably in the library even though I told her to relax," said Celestia.

Celestia left the dinning room and went straight for Luna's bedroom. She had asked Luna to be up early but she had figured she would have over slept. After she woke her sister she would head to the library next.

**********

Luna woke up with a big yawn, that had been one of the best nights of sleep she had had in a long time. She looked over at the clock and saw what time it was. They were late for Celestia's breakfast.

"Twi, Twi wake up we overslept," said Luna quietly as she nudged Twilight.

Twilight yawned and stretched then opened her eyes. Luna gave her a kiss and nuzzled her cheek with her's.

"Morning sleeping beauty. Sorry to rush you, but we overslept and if we don't hurry, we'll miss Celestia's breakfast," Luna told her.

"Oh, don't let my plans interfere with yours though," said a voice.

The curtains on the bed were pulled open with magic and they saw a rather displeased Celestia standing in the doorway. She looked angry.

"Both of you. My room. Now," she said sternly.

**********

Luna and Twilight sat silently as Celestia paced back and forth lecturing them.

"I'm not even angry about the whole thing. I'm angry because you decided to keep it a secret from me," said Celestia, still furious.

Twilight had never seen Celestia this angry. She wasn't even like this when she accidentally used the love spell that one time.

"Sister, we weren't ready to tell anypony yet. We didn't want to be judged," said Luna in protest.

"Yes Luna, but she is my student and I am very protective of my students. Do you remember what happened to my last student?" asked Celestia coldly.

Luna gulped and was speechless until she could find the words to say. "That was so long ago...I was a different person...I didn't mean to kill him..." stuttered Luna.

"Princess, you know I would have told you right away, but I didn't want to be judged," said Twilight timidly.

"Perhaps, but you should have told me anyway Twilight. I do NOT like it when my students keep secrets from me," yelled Celestia.

Twilight's head fell, and she began sobbing. Celestia realized that she had gone too far. She had been caring for and mentoring Twilight ever since she was a filly and knew she was like a second mother to Twilight. Yet she had just caused her student to break into tears. Celestia sat down on the ground and pulled Twilight and Luna into a big embrace.

"I am angry that you two didn't tell me, but I'm not going to hold it against you. I love you both more then anything in the world," Celestia whispered to them.

They hugged for a bit longer and then Celestia let them go.

"There is one thing however that I request you do. When we go downstairs I want you both to tell everyone. I don't want this to be a secret anymore to anyone," said Celestia in her usual tone of voice.

Twilight and Luna looked at each other and smiled.

"We were going to tell everypony at breakfast today anyway sister," explained Luna.

Celestia smiled. She was glad they had planned to tell everyone. Keeping secrets is not the best way to keep your friends.

**********

Everyone sat around the table eating the wonderful breakfast that the cook had prepared. Nopony said anything even though Princess Celestia had been gone for a while now. Also Twilight and Princess Luna hadn't showed up either. Just when everyone thought something was wrong Princess Celestia walked into the room followed by Luna and Twilight. They all sat down and then Celestia spoke up.

"Twilight and Luna have something that they want to tell all of you," announced Celestia to all the ponies around the table.

Celestia looked at Twilight and Luna and then they looked at everypony sitting around the table. Twilight and Luna looked at each other and then took a deep breath.

"Everypony, I want to tell all of you that Luna and I are...well I guess... together is the best term to use," announced Twilight with no fear in her voice.

They looked around at everypony. Some of them had looks of shock, others looks of confusion. But Pinkie's face was probably the most unsettling: a giant wide smile accompanied by extra wide eyes.

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh this calls for a party!!!" she screamed.

Pinkie jumped up from the table and began to bounce around faster then usual. She was also talking really fast. Rainbow Dash and Applejack jumped up and tackled her, but they couldn't stop her and instead got bounced around with Pinkie.

"Who let her put too much sugar in her coffee?" yelled Applejack.

"I think the better question is who let her have coffee in the first place?" said Rainbow Dash.

With effort they both managed to get Pinkie to the ground, but she was still jittery and bouncy.

"We'll um...take her outside for a while," said Applejack.

The two ponies left with Pinkie and then all eyes were back on Luna and Twilight. Nobody said anything until Spike finally spoke up.

"Well I'm glad you finally told everyone. It was getting too hard to keep the secret," said Spike.

Celestia looked at Twilight and Luna. "I thought you said you didn't tell anypony?" she asked them.

"We didn't. Twilight's assistant walked in on us sleeping on her couch together. We asked that he keep it a secret. And I think he deserves a reward for keeping it so long don't you Twilight?" said Luna.

Twilight nodded, and Luna summoned one of the guards. "Bring the baby dragon a small goblet of rubies as a thanks for doing so well," said Luna.

Spike's eyes widened at the mentioning of fine gems and he thanked Luna a millions times all while licking his lips. Twilight snickered at her assistant and then turned to her parents, her brother, and Cadance .

"I'm sorry I didn't tell any of you, but I was to nervous to say anything. I didn't want to get judged either," said Twilight.

"Twilight I would never judge you. You are allowed to make your own choices in life and if this makes you happy then I'm happy," said her mother.

"I would never judge you sis. It's like mom just said you are old enough to make your own choices and I'm glad to see this one makes you happy," said Shining Armor.

"I think it's cute," said Cadance with a giggle.

Shining Armor looked at his wife and she looked at him. "Really? No words of encouragement? Just saying it's cute?" he said.

"Well it is cute. They make a very cute couple," said Cadance, slightly annoyed.

Twilight and Luna giggled and blushed and Shining Armor shook his head. Twilight turned to her father, who had been quiet this whole time, and didn't like was she saw. He was frowning, and his face had a looked that was a mix of anger and disgust. He got up from his seat and left the room. Her mother got up from her chair and followed and Twilight, Shining Armor, and Cadance did likewise. They all kept following him until they reached the castle entrance.

"What's wrong dear?" asked her mother.

"I can't accept this," said her father.

Twilight stopped in her tracks. It was like she had just been pierced in the heart with a knife. "Wha...What?" she asked with a stutter.

Her father turned around and faced them. "I can't accept this," he said, "It's not right and I don't want to think about it."

Her mother got an angry look on her face. "You can't accept it? There is nothing wrong with it. She's our daughter and we should be able to accept the choices she makes," said her mother.

"I just can't accept our daughter being in a relationship with another mare. I won't accept the fact that she's, well... that she's a fillyfooler," said her father.

What her father said hit Twilight like a ton of bricks. "Daddy...you...you...why can't you accept me and Luna?" asked Twilight on the verge of tears.

"Because it's not right. Two mares being together is wrong. I always hoped my daughter would settle down with a nice stallion, not another mare," said her father coldly, "If that is her choice then I don't want to have anything to do with it."

Twilight's eyes began to gush tears, her father had basically just rejected her as his daughter because she loved Luna. Twilight turn around and ran upstairs to Luna's room, crying all the way and ignoring the yelling.

**********

Twilight laid on Luna's bed crying her eyes out. She had lost track of how long she had been crying. Her father had just disowned her all because he couldn't accept her choice. She continued to sob when she heard the bedroom door open. Someone walked into the room and over to the bed. Whoever it was climbed in and laid down next to her. Twilight felt a wing cover her body, and she thought it was Luna, until she smelt the sweet smell of a perfume she knew quite well.

"Your mother and brother are yelling at your father right now," said Cadance softly, "Celestia had to take Luna to her room because she tried to attack your father."

Twilight continued to sob but she manged to get some words out. "He deserves it, he just disowned me," cried Twilight.

Twilight went back to crying and Cadance gently rubbed her mane and cooed her. There was a reason Twilight had always called her the best foal-sitter in Equestria: Cadance was comforting her like she did when she was a filly.

"Shh. It's okay sweetie. It's okay. Getting it all out will make you feel better," said Cadance softly.

They sat there for about half and hour until Luna came into the room. Twilight wasn't crying anymore. Instead she was just sitting on the bed, staring at the wall. Cadance bent down and whispered softly in her ear.

"Luna is here for you. If you need me at all you know were to find me," she said.

Cadance gave Twilight a kiss on the head and then traded places with Luna. Luna climbed up on the bed and snuggled with Twilight. They were quiet for a while, and then Luna finally spoke up.

"Do you want to talk about it at all?" asked Luna.

Twilight shook her head. "It would just make me even more upset," she said sadly.

"I'm sorry baby. That must have really hurt to hear," said Luna softly.

Twilight nodded her head, and her ears fell. Luna kissed them a few times, and they perked back up. Twilight looked at Luna for the first time. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying so much.

"I don't want to let this ruin the holidays...it's just I've never heard words like that from my father," said Twilight.

Luna could only assume that Twilight's father wasn't normally like this, and this was just some kind of slip up of something.

"Would you like to go back downstairs?" asked Luna.

"Yeah... I think I'm out of tears," said Twilight with a slight chuckle.

**********

It turned out that Twilight's father had left after the conclusion of the arguing with her mother and brother. His reaction really hurt Twilight emotionally, so it was very lucky that she had some of the most caring friends and family in all of Equestria. It didn't take Twilight long to push the events of the morning behind her and enjoy the holidays. Everypony, while still concerned about the episode that morning, was more interested in Luna and Twilight. They all asked questions and gave them their full support. Only one person talked to Twilight about her relationship alone besides Princess Celestia, and that was her mother. It was the day of Hearth's Warming Eve, and Twilight mother asked her to come up to her room, saying all she wanted to do was talk. Twilight was able to get up there alone and her mother was waiting for her on the bed.

"So honey...I just wanted to make sure that you were okay after what your father said. Cadance said she went upstairs while we yelled at your father, and she said you were a mess," said her mother.

Twilight trotted up to her mother and sat on the bed beside her. This was still a rather touchy subject; however she hadn't gotten a chance to talk to her mother yet. "Honestly, I was devastated when he said that. I've never heard Daddy talk like that before," said Twilight.

"I know. I was just as shocked as you were. I never knew he had such a problem with...well... anyway... all that matters is that you are okay. I'm going to have a serious talk with him after the holidays are over. So I haven't got to ask you yet, but how did you and Princess Luna end up...well... together?" asked her mother sweetly.

"Oh...well it was kind of sudden really. During Nightmare Night I taught Luna how to have fun and well...I guess act like a normal pony in today's age. She considers me her one and only friend in the world. Anyway, I'm getting off track. She asked me over to the castle for a sleepover, and we had a lot of fun. I slept in her bed with he and we ended up cuddling. I'll admit that isn't really much of a way to spark a relationship, but it did somehow. She came over the next day and explained her feelings for me and said she had been having these feeling since Nightmare Night. Well... it kind of just carried on from there," said Twilight.

Her mother laughed a bit. Twilight just spoke as if she had prepared this explanation in advanced. She gave her daughter a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

"Well if you are happy, then I'm not one to judge you. You're my daughter, but you are old enough to make your own decisions," said her mother.

Twilight smiled and hugged her mother. "Thank you mommy," she said softly.

"You're welcome sweetheart. Now let's go downstairs," said her mother.

Author's Note:

He's another one. Much longer then what I normally do. This will probably be the last chapter for now until I can come up with some new ideas. Still unsure whether I will be putting it on hiatus or not. Also if y'all see any grammar or spelling errors my editor or I have missed please feel free to let me know so I can fix them ASAP. Enjoy