• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 5,872 Views, 139 Comments

Twilight for a Day - Mike the Red



A middle-aged man wakes to find himself transformed into Twilight Sparkle

  • ...
40
 139
 5,872

Two Twilights?

"What? You are me? Are you scientifically possible?" Twilight asked, incredulously. "Where did you come from?"

'Yes, I am you, and I come from a world of humans, across a dimensional barrier. And before I woke up this morning, I too was a human, in this case a male one. The female human you see sitting in the chair next to Princess Celestia is my wife. Her name is Brenda. My human name is Michael," I explained matter-of-factly.

Twilight's expression was one of shock and disbelief, at least for a few moments as she processed this information -- and then she hit me with a barrage of questions in such a hurry that I could have sworn she had taken Pinkie Pie's mannerisms, causing me to chuckle a little at this. Princess Celestia made a nearly futile attempt to slow down her student's excitement to some degree.

"Please, Twilight, take a breath here. I know you must be fascinated by seeing a double of yourself, and even more so that he managed to cross dimensional barriers using teleportation, but his was a dire need. One of his wife's grand-children snapped off his horn," the Alicorn explained.

Twilight was shocked again that somepony would do such a dastardly deed and suggested that the guilty party be punished severely. "Who would do such a thing?" she asked, wide-eyed and mouth agape.

"Please, Twilight, the girl is just two years old. She thought I was a dog, and wanted to ride on my back. I succeeded in mending my horn, with the help of my wife. Teleporting here was sort of a last-best-hope fail-safe that if my magic failed, perhaps the Princess would have been able to help. That I managed to make it here is testament to the level of magical power you possess, and for that I am truly grateful."

"I possess that kind of power? Really? I didn't think such a powerful teleport spell was even possible," she said, still impressed that a human inhabiting her body could do such a thing.

"There is something truly special about him," Princess Celestia mused, exchanging glances between her student and me.

"Now that you're here, is there something you'd like to do?" asked Twilight, addressing me.

"I have an idea," I chuckled, flashing a mischievous grin. "I would like to pull a prank on Pinkie Pie and Rarity."

The lavender unicorn gave me a quizzical glance which lasted just a few seconds as she pondered my suggestion. She returned my grin as the gears in her head started churning at the prospect. "Sounds like a wicked idea, but since I have been pranked a few times by them, why not fill me in on this idea of yours."

"I figured what we would do is this: you would teleport over to Sugar Cube Corner and wait for me. My signal will be me calling your name, whereupon you come from hiding and just simply say "hi" to Pinkie Pie. I will also say "hi" to her as well. I'm curious to see her reaction to seeing two of us, which ought to be good for some laughs," I said, still grinning.

"I like the way you think, Mike," said Celestia. "I should like to watch this event as well, as I am in the mood for a few laughs myself." She smiles impishly for just a split-second, and then returns to her natural calmness.

"Why does your mane and tail billow like that, even though there's no wind in here?" asked Brenda. She seemed to just now take note of the Alicorn's ethereal mane and tail. I made a mental note to have her watch the show to get a better understanding of things once we got back home.

"Hey, Brenda, have you ever heard of something called the Solar Wind?" I asked her, giving her a smug grin.

"I was going to mention that," the Solar Princess stated in an annoyed tone of voice, addressing me with yet another disapproving glare.

"I beg your pardon, your Majesty," I intoned reverently, bowing my head.

"Your apology is accepted, Michael," she responded, returning to her serene smile.

"Mike, why do you let her call you by your human name, when you wanted me to call you Twilight?" my wife asked in exasperation. Her seeming frustration grated on my nerves.

"That's because the real Twilight is right here, but in our world, I am the only Twilight," I replied flatly, my attempt to give her a disapproving glare fell quite flat. She giggled at my futile attempt, causing the Alicorn to giggle as well.

"How do you know you're the only one?" Twilight asked me, as my answer started a new topic of interest for the unicorn. She pulled a fresh sheet of parchment from seemingly out of nowhere so she could take more notes.

"There seemed to be something I could sense, as though there were no others who were capable of using magic. A world full of humans, and none of them can use magic," I replied matter-of-factly.

"That is most interesting," mused the Princess.

"So when are we going to do the prank?" Twilight asked, almost impatiently, still grinning broadly.

"Do I have to come along too?" asked Brenda.

"Do not worry, Brenda, my teleportation is more refined than Mike's. With enough practice, he'll be able to do it without all the discomfort that comes with it. And anyway, I cannot wait to see the expression on Pinkie Pie's and Rarity's faces when they see two Twilight Sparkles," the Princess responded. She appeared to look slightly amused.

"Okay, I am going to teleport to your tree-house, and walk towards Sugar Cube Corner. You teleport to roughly an equal distance in the other direction, but a bit closer to Pinkie's place than me. If she catches you by surprise, tell her that you're looking to get one of those marzipan masterpieces the Cakes have become famous for. After we've confused her, we'll walk over to Carousel Boutique, and I'll knock first. Then you come up and say "hi" right after me. This'll be fun!"

"Oooh, you're so wicked!" Twilight giggled.