• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 5,872 Views, 139 Comments

Twilight for a Day - Mike the Red



A middle-aged man wakes to find himself transformed into Twilight Sparkle

  • ...
40
 139
 5,872

Is this really happening here?

I turned to leave the bedroom, the Princess still laying in my bed. Before I exited my room, I saw a different reflection in the mirror above my wife's chest of drawers. If I didn't know any better, I could have sworn that it was Chrysalis. I saw her horn start glowing green.

"Where do you think you're going, Michael?" she asked me. I didn't answer -- I had to check on Xaviera and her kids. I hadn't noticed this earlier, but the house had been eerily silent -- my youngest step-daughter and her kids were normally quite active, watching TV downstairs. Though I hadn't paid much attention to it earlier, but a feeling of fear was starting to creep over me. I checked the room they slept in. Nothing. I checked the spare bedroom. Not in there. The bathroom door was open, and obviously empty.

"Where are you going?" she asked again, her tone becoming strident, her lack of patience telling. Her voice had changed from that of the Princess' warm tones to something akin to a dominatrix's demanding voice. I continued to ignore her, checking the living room on the main level, poking my head into the kitchen and then going down to the lower level. I saw the laundry room door and considered that room was probably the last spot they could possibly be. I opened the door, turned on the light and went in.

I looked up to the far corner of the room, noticing three sack-like pods containing my youngest step-daughter and her two kids. I gasped in horror, but freed them from those slimy cocoons. They shivered from the cold wet slime and I saw Xaviera's mouth open, her eyes going wide with fear as she noticed something behind me.

Chrysalis stood in the doorway of the laundry room, preventing my exit. "You're not getting out of here alive, Michael," she cooed softly. Her eyes started glowing as well as her horn. I gauged her distance to be about seven feet away from me as she flashed an evil grin, trying to hypnotize me with her gaze. I shouted something at her as I strode up to her with both hands outstretched, succeeding in grabbing her horn with my right hand and her crown with my left, yanking both of them off simultaneously.

"My horn! My crown!" she screamed in shock. She reared up and tried to bite me as I tossed the items to Xaviera, who was still sitting in stunned silence at this spectacle, her kids cowering behind her. I turned around to see Chrysalis approach me in attempt to knock me down. I side-stepped her, grabbing hold of her green chitin shell.

"Let's see what's under THIS," I said, ripping the chitin all the way off, including her wings when I said that last word. She let out an unearthly scream of pain and rage as I exposed her vitals, green blood oozing and spurting from the gaping wound. "What a mess," I thought to myself. I grabbed a small jug of bleach off the floor, opened it and poured it liberally into the gaping wound I had made. Her next scream was so ear-splittingly awful, it caused me to wince and grimace. Xaviera and her kids were so badly traumatized by this ordeal, I could have sworn it gave them PTSD. I knew I was going to have some bad dreams about this for awhile.

The bug's muscles reflexively curled her into a ball as she expired, letting out a death rattle as she died. I turned back to Xaviera, and retrieved the Queen's horn and crown. "You take the kids upstairs and get cleaned up. I'll take care of this little mess," I said. Without a word, Xaviera took her kids upstairs to the bathroom. Her kids were whimpering and crying, scared beyond belief. I was still shaking, having faced down the Queen of the Changelings herself and killed her. I went to the kitchen and took a large black trash bag out and opened it, then took a broom and dustpan with me to the laundry room. I put the edge of the bag under the Queen's lifeless body, pulling the bag up around it and let the body drop to the bottom of the bag. I placed the green chitin shell in it as well, then tied the bag off. It weighed about 80 pounds or so and I hefted it over my shoulder as I carried it into the kitchen. I grabbed another trash bag to double-bag her body. I was still trying to figure out what to do with it, when a knock came at the door.

"Who is it?" I said without bothering to check. No one answered. The knocking was harder, louder, and more impatient. I thought it might be the police, although I had no idea why they would show up at the door. It looked like a cop, but I saw his reflection in the back glass of our neighbor's house. This guy was a changeling as well.

"Your Queen is dead," I said through the door, glaring sternly at him.

"No way!" he exclaimed in disbelief. When I showed him the crown and horn, he blanched.

"Now go away, before I do the same to YOU!" I shouted at him. He ran to the squad car and took off.

I returned to the kitchen and examined the bag with the Queen's body in it. I contemplated what to do for a moment and decided to put it in the car's trunk. I was struck by the sudden darkness of the day, noting the time was wrong for night, causing me to wonder why it had gotten dark all of a sudden -- it was still mid-afternoon. What I saw next caused me to rub my eyes in disbelief as I looked up to see a large black pony with wings and a horn, replete with her battle armor.

"You're kidding. You're kidding, right?" I asked her in a failed attempt at levity.

"Why must every pony mock me?" she asked indignantly. "I swear, the next person to ask me that will be killed on the spot!"

"Where did you come from?" I asked in sheer incredulity. I could not believe Nightmare Moon had shown up as well. This was starting to become a really bad day.

"None of your business," she replied flatly and landed on the ground about ten feet away from me. She scowled at me and flared her wings in a threatening manner.

"Why are you here?" I asked her in an attempt to gauge her intent. I was scared, but trying not to show it.

"Your .. vehicle ... has the markings of one of the Elements of Harmony," she mused, trying to figure me out.

"That was a special paint job I had done to it," I said, trying not to give it away.

"I sense some magical vibrations coming from it," she stated. Her tone was even, no hostility showing.

"You're quite perceptive, but the car was simply fixed up a little, and there might be some residual magical energy lingering after having had it fixed," I offered, still trying to conceal the car's abilities.

"There's more than that," she said, starting to sound a little annoyed.

"You didn't answer my question," I said. "Please explain the nature of your visit."

"Hah! I came to bring eternal night to your world, as I failed to do so in mine!"

I shook my head in disbelief. "How did you manage to cross a dimensional barrier to my realm?" I asked.

"I don't know. I just found myself here, and found no opposition to me. So I decided to bring eternal night!" she said, a little too cheerfully for my taste. She smiled at me, a big toothy grin showing her fangs. Her eyes were a hypnotic blue, and seemed to draw me into them. I turned away from her hypnotic glance.

"Not again," I muttered. "First Discord, then the Changeling Queen, and now THIS," I grumbled.

"Wait -- you defeated Discord AND Chrysalis?" she asked, incredulously. "How the HELL did you manage to do THAT?"

"I have lots of surprises," I said, trying to sound brave.

"I can't believe you would be able to pull off something like THAT," she said, a little worry starting to creep into her voice.

I showed her the Queen's crown and horn, causing her to express a great deal of shock and surprise, though it was rather short-lived. I watched an evil grin creep across her features.

"Well, you won't be able to defeat ME so easily!" she said, regaining her composure. "Now I know what I'm dealing with!"

Without understanding why, I placed the Queen's crown atop my head. Oddly enough, it turned from black with white beads to white with gold beads, though I couldn't see this immediately. The crown bonded itself to my skin and then to my skull. It felt really weird, but not in a bad way. I then placed the horn on my head, a little in front of the crown. The horn straightened out and turned white, then lengthened. The dark Alicorn watched in stunned surprise as my transformation progressed. Then something really weird happened. I felt myself transforming into a pony once again, but considerably larger this time. Instinctively, I dropped to all fours, preparing myself for anything. Suddenly, a pair of wings started to grow out of my back to a wingspan of about twelve feet. My coat turned a prismatic white, almost glowing with an eerie iridescence. Once again I saw her surprise change to amusement.

"What, do you think turning into an Alicorn is going to stop me?" she queried, contempt dripping from her words.

I chose not to answer her as I decided to try something with my voice -- I had a hunch I could use magic to amplify my voice to make it sound threatening as I took a deep breath and readied myself.

"NIGHTMARE MOON, YOU WILL RELINQUISH CONTROL OF THE SUN AT ONCE!!!" I thundered, my voice having taken on a deep resonance since I was now a male Alicorn. The net effect of this struck me as impressive, though Nightmare was much less so.

"Make me," she nearly growled, grinning that evil smile of hers.

"I will do it myself," I muttered. I flew into the sky and without much thought sensed the location of the sun and moved it back into the sky, then lowered the moon into a position I was able to sense, though I wasn't exactly sure why I was able to do this. I was stunned by just how easy this task seemed to be, then chuckled at the dark Alicorn's reaction. "Celestia's not going to believe this!" I thought as I returned to the ground.

"Uh, maybe I ought to leave," Nightmare Moon said, shocked at my display. My cutie mark was similar to Celestia's except that instead of a gentle sun with small triangular rays, mine showed long striated rays emanating from a smaller sun inside a red nine-pointed star. I hypothesized it indicated a stronger solar force, though I was not certain of that -- I just knew I had to meet the Princess to let her know what had transpired.

"Yeah, that would be a good idea," I stated firmly. "Don't come back, or I might lose my patience with you. Be thankful I have spared your life, Nightmare."

She flew off to parts unknown and I used my magic to remove Chrysalis' dead body from the trunk of my car. I teleported across the dimensional barrier again with the Queen's body in tow and met up with Princess Celestia again in her throne room.

"And who might you be?" she asked, showing a slight amount of puzzlement. I surmised that it was because my appearance was so similar to hers.

"You might remember me as Michael Walker," I stated with great reverence. "Princess Celestia, it is good to see you once again. I was beginning to lose hope of you coming to my realm."

"Michael? What has happened to you?" she asked, showing more shock and amazement than I had ever seen on her face.

"I had no idea that placing the Changeling Queen's horn and crown on my head would result in this transformation. She impersonated you, and I was forced to kill her in front of my youngest step-daughter and her children. Her dead body is in this black plastic bag," I replied, using my magic to place the bag between myself and the Solar Princess.