• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 5,872 Views, 139 Comments

Twilight for a Day - Mike the Red



A middle-aged man wakes to find himself transformed into Twilight Sparkle

  • ...
40
 139
 5,872

Caught Unawares

I surveyed the reactions of the others as we finalized the plan. "We must be prepared for anything," I said.

"Michael, please be careful. I don't want any of the Elements getting lost, hurt, or killed," Princess Celestia admonished. She had a look of concern on her face, but was willing to place her trust in me.

"I will not underestimate Nightmare, I know what she's capable of. I will be careful, Princess, you have my word on that."

The jaunt across the dimensional barrier was swift, but took a little more out of me than I thought, as I was transporting the Mane Six with me. We arrived on the front lawn of my house, then I noticed the black Alicorn standing atop my car.

"What are you doing? GET OFF MY DAMNED CAR!!" I shouted at her. She raised an eyebrow at my outburst.

"So, you decided to come back then," she stated flippantly. She started laughing when she saw the Elements. "And you brought THEM, too! This is rich! I shall enjoy taking my revenge against you for what you did to me last time!"

"Not so fast, Nightmare," I said.

"I have grown more powerful since the last time we met," she said proudly, a smug smile of confidence on her face. She flapped her wings and rose into the air, but not before leaving a huge dent in the roof of the car. I watched in amazement as the car enveloped itself in a purple aura and repaired the damage she had caused. When Nightmare leaped towards me, I used telekinesis to send her flying into a tree. "You will pay for that!" she shouted indignantly.

"How much?" I asked, facetiously.

"More than you're expecting," she said, rebuffing my attempt at humor. She used her magic against me, trying to envelop me in a telekinetic field. I broke it, and used the same tactic against her. She struggled a little, but managed to break free of my hold. An expression of surprise crossed my face. "Hah, looks like I'm getting to you!" she laughed.

I tried to quickly evaluate my options. Too much to choose from and not enough time to make a choice. I fired a beam of magical energy directed at her horn. She returned this beam, using her own magic. I was shocked at how much stronger she had become. I strengthened my resolve, concentrating harder. Beads of sweat were now starting to form on my head, but it appeared as though she wasn't even trying very hard. "When did she become so much stronger than me?" I wondered.

"Hah! Now you're going to fall!" she shouted, ready to exult in my defeat. Her smile had widened and there was a wicked gleam in her eyes as she seemed to intensify this beam of magic energy.

"NEVER!" I shouted, returning fire by using as much power as I could muster. I forced her beam back into her and she buckled under the force. Now it was her turn to be surprised. A crowd of people had gathered to watch this spectacle as the Element Bearers watched silently in fascination. I wasn't sure what they were waiting for -- perhaps they were waiting for one of us to emerge victorious.

"You think you have beaten me?" she asked defiantly. Her expression was one of pure rage, her eyes clouded white with magical force. I chose not to respond, using even more magic to keep her pinned down. My horn glowed with three auras of magic, though I was unaware of this fact.

"Elements of Harmony, now it is your turn. Banish her so we may restore order to this world," I said, my voice almost thundering. Nightmare showed shock as she realized the situation she was now in. The Elements slowly surrounded her while I kept her pinned down. As they worked their magic, I released my hold on the dark Alicorn just before she was surrounded by a rainbow hued magic vortex and then she disappeared.

"Hey, Mike, aren't you going to put the sun back in its place in the sky?" asked Twilight.

"Twilight, it actually IS night-time here, the sun's not supposed to rise for another twelve hours," I said.

"Who or what are you?" asked one of the neighbors. Truthfully, I never really got to know any of our neighbors very well, so I had no idea who this guy was.

"Name's Michael. I am the Regent of the Sun for this world," I said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked, still dumbfounded by my answer.

"It is my duty to raise and lower the sun and moon for this world, from this day on forward," I responded.

"Hate to break it to you, Mike, but the Earth rotates on its axis, so you don't need to do that," he said, grinning.

"That is no longer the case, sir. As the new Regent, the Earth is now dependent upon my duties. I trust in time you will come to understand this. The old rules you were accustomed to no longer apply. I humbly request you return to your home and get some sleep. This matter will be resolved shortly."

He turned around, laughing, and went back home. The other neighbors who had watched also returned to their homes. Brenda had come outside, and walked up to me, looking quite shocked.

"Princess?" she asked, hesitantly.

I chuckled. "No, Brenda, I am not the Princess. I am your husband, Michael." I waited for her reaction.

"Uhh...you'd better start explaining this to me," she said.

"Brenda," Twilight said. "This white alicorn really IS your husband -- the Princess is still in Canterlot."

"Mike, I thought I told you not to become a pony again," she said to Twilight.

"No, Brenda, I'm Twilight. Your husband is the tall white pony with the wings," she said, trying to stifle a giggle.

"Brenda, I have to take the Elements back home. I will return shortly to explain everything to you," I said. She still didn't know what to say, her mouth open but no words coming out.

"Hey, Mike, is this contraption here yours?" asked Applejack, pointing a hoof at my car.

"Yeah, AJ, that's my car," I said.

"Wow, that's cool! Awesome! It has Twiley's cutie mark! What's it do?" asked Rainbow.

"Lots of different things, but right now, we have to go back to Canterlot and let the Princesses know we succeeded in our mission. Every pony join hooves now, we shall be going. Seeya later, Brenda!" She just looked at me as we teleported back to the Royal Throne Room.

"We see thou hast returned victorious," Princess Luna observed.

"You should have seen the way he battled your evil side," said Twilight, still somewhat amazed.

"It was AWESOME! He kicked her tail!" Rainbow exclaimed.

Rarity turns to me. "Michael, darling, you were magnificent!"

"We felt a disturbance within our royal person," Princess Luna observed. "We feel an emptiness inside."