• Published 3rd Nov 2012
  • 2,086 Views, 27 Comments

Bubbles: Derpy's Return - RoxyMoronNERDy



The story of the life of Derpy's daughter and how she copes with her mother being unlike others.

  • ...
9
 27
 2,086

Chapter Four

Chapter four

I gallop around the library, searching for that book. I really dislike it when I lose a book, and I do it more than ponies would think…

I gallop up the stairs to Spike’s basket to find him still snoring.

“Spike! Wake up!” I use my magic to levitate him out of his basket. “This is the SECOND time this morning I’ve told you to do so!” I shake him up, down, around and even throw him a little, but he continues snoring. I sigh and put him back in his basket. Nothing I can do now. But if only I knew where that book was…

Just then, Spike burps a scroll from the princess, and that startles him awake.

“I DIDN’T DO IT!!” He cries as he bolts up. I give him a look and he smiles sheepishly and laughs nervously. I roll my eyes.

“Spike, I’ve told you a thousand times this morning to get up!” I trot over to retrieve the scroll and open it up and read it as Spike goes on and on about how he “so dearly wanted to help” and “couldn’t for the life of him get up”. I tune him out after a while to read the message Princess Celestia had sent to me. I finish the letter, but reread it. I reread it again. I’ve never had a problem processing the messages that the Princess send to me, but this one just… shocked me! I drop the scroll and stand there, frozen.

“What’s wrong, Twilight?” Spike comes over and picks up the scroll to put in the archive of previous Celestia scrolls in the back of the library.

I trot downstairs again and pace. I know I promised Spike that I wouldn’t pace, but it keeps my sanity in check! I couldn’t possibly NOT pace at a time like this! Dinky is coming with me? Derpy going away? Who’s Dinky, and why is Derpy leaving? I gallop to Spike who was just about to put the scroll away.

“Wait!” I snatch the scroll out of his hands with my magic and open it up, reading it one last time.

“Twilight Sparkle,

I apologize to bring this up with you on such short notice, but this has to be done and it is an emergency; it seems the Pegasus Derpy D. Hooves has been harboring a foal when she does not have the capability to hold one. She has been raising this filly since she was born and leaves her home alone sometimes when she isn’t near old enough to do so. Guards were sent to retrieve Derpy Hooves and her daughter, Dinky D. Hooves, is going to be sent to live with you. I don’t think I mentioned to the guards that Dinky was going to live with you, so be prepared to tell them if they pass by.

“Please understand that this is a difficult time for the both of them. Derpy will be held at a local hospital in Canterlot and is going to be taught how to care for a foal appropriately. She is going to be there for one year’s time. Please be diligent to teach this filly that her mother isn’t the type of pony to care for a foal. I await you response.

“Sincerely,

Princess Celestia”

Spike stares at me as he listens to the letter, and suddenly he gets very angry.

“What does she mean, ‘harboring a foal when she does not have the capability to hold one’?!” Spike stares at the scroll and grabs it, throwing it into the archives room.

“Spike!” I gallop in there and levitate it as I trot over to Spike. I look at the stamp on the scroll with the shiny red ribbon and the golden crest with a “C” on it. Celestia doesn’t seem like the type of mare to do such a thing…

“Why would Celestia do that?” He asks, a bit more calm this time. “She always seemed so wise and kind…” I nod.

“I agree. I was just thinking the same thing,” I state as I set the scroll on the table in the middle of the room. “She would never say such ghastly things! She basically said ‘people with disabilities have no rights’!” I shook my head and suddenly saw the book I was looking for.

All of a sudden, there was a knock on the door. Spike and I look at each other and I trot over to the door. I use my magic to open it, and standing at my door is Rarity. I sigh in relief.

“Hello, Darling.” Rarity says while her eyes slightly twitch. I look at her, confused.

“Hi, Rarity,” I say cautiously. She seems odd today. Normally she is so put together and calm and content, but today her hair is straight, her eyelashes don’t have as much volume as they usually do, and her eyes keep twitching around, like she’s looking for something. “Are you feeling alright?” I look behind me to make sure she isn’t looking at something behind me.

Rarity shakes her head. “There’s something you need to see.” She steps aside and leads me around the corner, where two of Celestia’s guards are walking down the dirt road, escorting a grey Pegasus with a yellow mane. Her eyes are slightly crossed and she appears embarrassed and sad. Then I see a little foal galloping toward them, crying.

“Oh no…” I mutter. I gallop over to the guards.

“Twilight, Wait!” I hear Rarity call to me frantically. I ignore her and gallop to the sobbing foal. She starts calling to the guards and her mother as if they were leaving her alone forever.

“Mommy, No!! Leave her alone! Mommy!!” She suddenly tripped and started to fall, but I caught her with my hoof before she scraped her face. I look at her and notice her lighter sort of purplish-grayish coat and light yellow mane. She’s Dinky, right? I thought to myself. I never imagined that her mother was Derpy…

“Dinky, calm down, it’s okay…” I try to soothe her, but she pushes me away. I look at her, shocked. She never acted repulsively against me! No once!

“No! It’s not okay! She’s my mommy!” She started trying to get to Derpy, but I knew if she did that, she’d get in trouble as well. I then got an idea on a spell I could cast on her to calm her down, but I didn’t want to do it. I hate tricking other ponies, but others were starting to stare at the wailing foal. I knew it had to be done.

I let her go and she starting sprinting toward the guards. I cast the Rock-a-Bye spell and she suddenly froze in her place.

“Wait, wha-?” Her voice trailed off as she collapsed unconscious. I sighed sadly and picked up the now sleeping foal and carried her on my back. I walked up to my front nor and nodded to Rarity to come inside.