• Published 3rd Nov 2012
  • 2,086 Views, 27 Comments

Bubbles: Derpy's Return - RoxyMoronNERDy



The story of the life of Derpy's daughter and how she copes with her mother being unlike others.

  • ...
9
 27
 2,086

Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Dinky sighed as she stared out the window into the dark, cloudy sky. Rain spouted from the clouds and the sound of pattering rain echoed throughout the tree-house. Dinky laid her head on the window pane and closed her eyes, her face cold from the window. She remembered the last time there was a storm, but that was in winter on Hearth's Warming Eve. She was really angry at Golden Chakra for bringing her back home. All she wanted was to go back to her old home, but Twilight said that if she did that, then Twilight would get in a lot more trouble than Dinky. Dinky rolled her eyes at Twilight and sloushed the entire day. Normally, Mommy would bring her presents, but Twilight wasn't aware, apparently, that Dinky had always gotten presents. Dinky sighed as she opened her eyes, looking out at the rain once more. Maybe its a good thing, She thought. If Twilight continued the tradition, I'd more more homesick han ever. She stared outside and felt a tear roll down her cheek and blinked to keep others from coming.

"Not possible." She mumbled to herself.

Twilight and Spike peered in on Dinky from the door, and whipped back out into the hall. Twilight brought her hoof to her cheek and sighed.

"She's been moping all day! Why would the pegasi schedule a downpour TODAY? We have a tea party with Fluttershy soon, and Dinky's surely in no mood for that..." Twilight sighed and lowered her head. "I just don't understand." Spike's eyes lit up, and he looked at Dinky happily through the door. He turned back to Twilight.

"What if I watch her?" The young dragon offered. Twilight looked at him and stifled a giggle.

"YOU? Watching FILLIES?" Twilight said in a more rude way than she meant. Spike crossed his arms and gave Twilight a dirty look.

"I could do it!" He grumbled. He turned to Twilight, pleading. "Come one! I know I could! If Pinkie could do it, why wouldn't I be able to?!" His voice was growing slightly, and Twilight winced.

"SHH! Spike, she'll hear-"

"I can hear you, you know." Said a little voice from Dinky's bedroom.

Twilight winced and started pacing, thinking of what to do. She heard Dinky's slow, sad steps clop closer to the door. Twilight teleported to the front door and grabbed her saddle bag.

"Fine, Spike! Do it! I'm going to be late, so I'm leaving it up to you!" She called as she galloped out into the rainy weather.

Spike beamed as her walked toward Dinky's door. He stopped short when he realized that Dinky was already there. He laughed nervously at the filly who what his same height. Dinky's face was sad and droopy, and Spike's smile dropped. What have I gotten myself into? He thought.

Dinky rested her head on the door frame and stared at Spike, waiting for him to say something. She was in no mood for fun, and she knew that was probably because of the weather. She always got in a good mood on rainy days, becasue Mommy never had to work the mail delivery and got to stay home with Dinky. But today, Mommy isn't here. Mommy's gone. And there was nothing she could do about it.

Spike cleared his throat and stood up tall and proud. He had to set a good example.

"Come on, Dinky! What do you say we go do something fun?" He tried smiling Pinkie's happy smile to cheer Dinky up, but Dinky just slid down the wooden door fram and laid on the floor, her head still resting on the frame, her mane covering her eyes.

"I'm not in the mood." She said in monotone. Spike tried not to sigh, becasue it would show frustration. Instead, he thought about what they could do that would cheer her up for sure. He gasped and grabbed Dinky's hoof, lifting her up.

"Come on, I know where to go!"

Dinky and Spike ran through the rain. Twilight took the last umbrella to go to Fluttershy's tea party, so he and Dinky had to run through the wet world. He was okay with that, though. Sping rain was usually not too cold in Ponyville. Spike laughed, and ran ahead of Dinky, sliding through the muddy roads. Dinky watched Spike's boddy slide as his feet stayed grounded. She allowed a slight smile as she watched him. She looked at her muddy hooves, and decided to try it herself. She galloped as hard as she could, turned sideways and allowed herself to slide through the mud, keeping her hooves grounded and keeping her balance. Until she caught up with Spike and they toppled over each other. For a moment, there was no sound other than the rain hitting the ground. But then the air was filled with laughter. For a moment, Dinky forgot about her troubles. Her and Spike ran toward Sugar Cube Corner without a care in the world, the rain soaking her mane and the mud covering her hooves. Spike and Dinky laughed at each other playfully as they ran in the puddles and rain, not in any rush to get to Sugar Cube Corner.

Dinky and Spike laughed as they walked into Sugar Cube Corner, no longer muddy from letting the rain wash them off before entering. However, they were soaked to the bone and we leaving puddles and drippings as they walked up to the counter. Spike and Dinky seemed to be the only ones there other than a few seniors who possibly got caught in Sugar Cube Corner from the rain, and are waiting it out. Dinky looked at them and felt the teeniest-tinyest bit sorry for them, because they couldnt go home. Dinky then remembered. Home. Mommy. Dinky wants Mommy to come home.

Dinky stopped short and looked at her hooves, off in another world. She suddenly came back to herself. This was a day Mommy would normally spend with her, not in Canterlot. If Celestia hadn't taken Mommy away, Dinky would still be happy. Dinky looked at Spike, and just realized he had spoken to her. She ignored him and turned around, leaving Spike at the counter with Mrs. Cake, waiting to take their order. Spike was flustered, and turned to Mrs. Cake, embarassed.

"Hold on a minute," He said quickly, hasing after Dinky just as she was about to go outside into the pouring rain, which was now worsening. Spike caught up with her and stopped her.

"Dinky, what are you doing?" He wondered, confused. "We just got here! Let's get something!" He was looking behind Dinky at Mrs. Cake, who was still waiting for an explanation. the senior colts were now starting to stare, but Dinky ignored them. right now, all she wanted to get on the train to Canterlot.

"I'm going to Canterlot." she said plainly,as if it were obvious. Spike burst out laughing and covered his mouth quickly, regining himself and clearing his throat.

"You can't possibly be serious," He sad, crossing his arms over his chest. "That's ridiculous." He watched dinky step around him and stand just outside of the rain, the bangs of her mane getting slightly wet, but the rest of her still inside.

"I told you, I'm going to Canterlot." She said once more as she stepped out into the rain.

Twilight and Fluttershy laughed and sighed. Fluttershy giggled once more before speaking.

"Oh that's hysterical! Tell me more!" She said, coming out of her shell slightly around her unicorn friend. Twilight sipped her tea and lowered the cup back on the platter with her magic.

"Well there's nothing more to tell! Pinkie never plans on doing it again. She was actually EMBARRASSED." Twilight said, her expression turning serious. Fluttershy and Twilight burst into more giggles.

"Over the bad muffins? It wasn't even her fault!" Fluttershy said softly, but still more outgoing. "It was mostly Applejack's fault anyway, yes?" Fluttershy sipped her tea and poured her and Twilight some more. Twilight nodded as if to say "thanks".

"Yes, mostly. But you'd think that Pinkie would have noticed!" Twilight rolled her eyes playfully as Fluttershy nodded, taking a bite out of a cupcake. Twilight looked outside to see the sky getting darker with clouds. Twilight's facial expression darkened as well, her stomach turning. She was worried about Dinky, and Spike's capability to care for her. Twilight hated saying this, but if pinkie could do it, anypony could! Twilight felt bad for saying that, but Pinkie isn't... like most ponies. Twilight sighed as she stretched her forelegs up, and letting out a sigh. What's there to worry about? She asked herself rhetorically. Besides, I'm here to relax.


Spike ran to catch up with Dinky, but she was running too quickly. The rain also got harder, and it made it harder for him to see her. He panted and forced himself to keep going. I really need to lay off the gems... He thought to himself as he kept trudging forward. Just then, he tripped over his on feet, and fell down, sliding forward through all the mud from the dirt road. He winced as he toppled over and over, still going toward Dinky but not at the same rate as before. He watched her run off in the distance.

"DINKY!!" He cried hysterically. "WAAAIT!" He stood and tried running some more, and pushed himself harder and harder,until he found himself catching up with her. They were almost to the train station, and Spike knew if he didn't catch her now, he never would. He smiled to himself and stopped running, land-locking his feet facing sideways. He bent his knees and alowed himself to slide toward the running filly. Time seemed to slow for Dinky as she turned around to see Spike directly behind her. He launched himself at her, toppling over her right in front of the wooden platmormbefore the station. Dinky could hear the faint noise of the train. She started resisting as they lay there in the mud, just a few feet away. Dinky saw the still very faint glow of the train light, but she knew it would be there in a matter of minutes. She pushed and shoved Spike, but to no prevail. He clutched his arms around her waist as tight as he could, and Dinky started sobbing as she saw the train pulling up. It was long, but it was there. Now or never.

She got angry now, but she was still crying. She felt her face get red and angry, furious that Spike would keep her from following her desire. She wanted Mommy, and she wasn't going to let a puny dragon stop her. She used the levitation spell that took her months to master, and she lifted Spike off her, and threw him behind her, listening to him slide away. Spike took a moment to register what had happened, and shuffled to all fours, trying to get back up, but he wasjust too tired. He watched as the filly galloped onto the wooden platform, and leap onto the train just as it was starting to leave. Spike watched the train pull away, and felt himself cry, knowing that this mistake would not please Twilight in the least. He slowly stood and limped toward Fluttershy's cottage, where he knew Twilight would be sure to disband him as her number-one-assistant. Forever. And forever is way too long.