• Published 3rd Nov 2012
  • 2,086 Views, 27 Comments

Bubbles: Derpy's Return - RoxyMoronNERDy



The story of the life of Derpy's daughter and how she copes with her mother being unlike others.

  • ...
9
 27
 2,086

Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Dinky zipped behind the school building, hiding her giggles as she heard other foals laughing, making themselves easier to find once Snails stopped counting. Dinky smiled to herself. Knowing Snails, it was going to be a while before he was going to start looking for everypony. Dinky looked around the corner of the building to see that Snails was still covering his eyes, face down on the picnic table, shouting out the numbers slowly. Dinky tiptoed into the dense forest that was behind the school building as she heard Snails shout the number "seven", followed by "eight" about five seconds later. Dinky then started galloping until she could hardly hear Snails shouting, or even see the school for that matter! She looked around, and saw that it was more like White Tail Wood rather that the Everfree Forest. She shrugged and looked around for the mark that pointed to her secret hideout. It wasn't much; only a grove that you could only find if you paid attention hard enough.

She trotted over to a nerby tree that looked like some kind of creature, and saw the branch that looked like an arm pointing towards something. She smiled and went the other way, entering a part of the woods that was so dense you could hardly even walk. She was a little sad, though. She knew once she got to be a big pony like Twilight or Mommy, she woudn't be able to come here because she would be too big. She coudl hardly fit through the narrow cracks at the size she already was! She couldn't imagine how impossibly difficult it would be as a full-grown mare...

She reached the part that was the most dense and the hardest to get through. She inhaled and exhaled, focusing on every step. She reached the part that had Poison Joke surrounding the trees that separated the grove from the rest of the wood. Part of her was happy it was there, so it would keep intruders out, but it made it all the more harder for HER to get in. She started sweating and suddenly found herself about to fall. She squealed slightly, but didn't pay any mind to it. She was far enough that no one would hear her. Time seemed to slow down as she fell toward the blue plant, the leaves seeming to taunt her as if to say, "Ha ha! We're gonna get you!" She covered her face and suddenly, time froze. She opened her eyes to see she was hovering just above the Poison Joke, the leaves barely missing her coat by a centimeter. She then started moving over the trees taht surrounded the grove and she landed softly on the plush, leaf-covered floor of her secret grove. She then noticed that she was surrounded by a dark-blue glow, and it disappeared as she looked around. That glow was from a horn, but definitely NOT her own. She narrowed her eyes as she heard a slight tinkling noise, and suddenly saw something rising above the trees. She held her breath, waiting to see who had saved her and now knew about her secret hiding spot. She cowered, waiting to be found.

"Hi, Dinky! Quick save, huh?" Said a familiar voice.

"Wait a second..." Dinky allowed herself to say out loud. The dark blue glow around the floating body disappears and the pony dropped to the ground, their black-blue mane falling around their face. They stood, and Dinky looked at Valiant Literature in awe. She shook her head and grimaced at Valiant Literature.

"Yeah. Quick save. Why'd you follow me?!" Dinky said, crossing her hooves over her crest and huffing. Valiant Literature lifted one of his eyebrows in confusion.

"What?" He asked. "I was coming out here to hide in my secret hiding place!" He said, looking Dinky up and down. "I figured that you knew about this place by following ME." He said, narrowing his eyes at Dinky.

For a moment, they just stared at each other, the distant sound of snails shouting "Ready or not, here I come" combined with the sounds of the forest were the only things that made noise. Dinky and Lit then burst into soft giggles, so as nopony would hear them. They sighed and came to an agreement to stay there with each other, and they would share the secret hideout from then on. Dinky and Lit spent the time of the Hide and Seek game playing "Would You Rather" and setting up Tic-Tac-Toe games in the dirt, moving the leaves around to make piles to use as chairs. After they couldn't think of any games to play that were quiet, they would just sit there, watching the clouds roll and talk about things that weren't related in anyway. They would start talking about Rainbow Dash, and end up talking about what it would feel like to be a bug. (Or, more specifically, an ant) Sometiems, they wouldn't even talk at all. They would just sit and either stare at each otehr or look at their surroundings, being okay with the silence and just enjoying each other's company. Until Lit broke the silence with something a little more serious.

"Hey, Dinky..." He said shyly. Dinky turned to him to see him blushing, and she put down the stick she was scratching the dirt with.

"Yeah?" She asked, slightly worried he was not feeling well. "Is something wrong?" Dinky looked at Lit, concerned.

"Do you remember... Do you remember that one day at school... Do you remember the poem?" He asked, almost whispering. Dinky didn't even need to think.

"Of course," She replied, blushing. "I asked Twilight what I should do with it, and she was kind enough to put it in a picture frame for me. It's sitting next to Mommy now." Dinky looked down at her hooves, smiling and blushing.

"Huh? What do you mean?" He asked. Dinky giggled.

"Oh, right. You probably wouldn't get it." She sighed and looked up at the clouds that were moving slowly past them, every once in a while a pegasus would fly by, pushing a cloud or kicking it, making it disappear into thin-air. "I have two pictures now: Your poem and the one of me and Mommy." She said dreamily. "I figured that since both pictures hold things that represent things that are dear to my heart, they should be together." Dinky sighed and just realized what she had said. Out loud. IN FRONT OF VALIANT LITERATURE.

"Wait, you mean..." Lit stumbled on words, processing what his crush had just said. Dinky just kept staring at him. She couldn't resist her feelings. She liked him. And she knew he liked her. They liked each other. A LOT.

Dinky and Lit got up and started walking slowly toward each other. They stopped when they were face to face, and Lit opened his mouth to speak until Snails burst in through the trees, Poison Joke leaves dangling from his mane. He was panting, and everypony else in the whole game was standing behind him.

"Found...*huff* you...*huff" He and everypony else then fell on the Poison Joke, panting and trying to catch their breath. Lit and Dinky stood, frozen in the middle of the grove. The looked at each other, and blushed as they zipped a step away from each other. They both stared at the heap of panting ponies as they tried to figure a way out of the grove without being touched by the poison joke. Dinky then found her and Li levitating out of the grove and safely on the outside, just missing the Poison Joke by an inch. Dinky turned to Lit who was sweating and rubbing his head from using that much magic. Dinky smiled, blushed and kissed Lit on his cheek. She then galloped away, blushing furiously as she left Lit in the dust, wondering what had just happened.