• Published 8th Dec 2012
  • 1,206 Views, 63 Comments

Why is life? - Daxisle



Mac and Spike accompany a friend to a forign nation to discover beyond the borders of Equestria.

  • ...
3
 63
 1,206

Til Death

Til Death

Dear Princess Celestia.

Thank you for forwarding Twilight's message to me, I'm glad she's having fun with her brother and Caidence. Sin sends his regards to you and Ace, as well as his apologize for Star Shade. He didn't specify exactly why, he just said "Sorry for what ever he broke".

Sorry about Sin's insistence on holding off on any message sending for the past five days. He's rather paranoid about needless communication due to where we are, though, I can see his point.

We've finally reached the boarder to North New Equine about two days ago! But it has alot more guards than I had originally thought it would. More griffins and pegasi in the clouds looking down than actual guards on the wall though.

When I asked how he planned to get through, Sin said he would be surveying and monitoring the guards routines and shift changes. That way we would be able to slip through when they were too distracted by going home or what ever.

And there's something else I need to confess, Sin's been hounding me to learn to shoot my cross bow. He said that there was a chance I would need to defend myself, but it's a minor chance if we're sneaky enough. Hehe. Any way, if you're going to send a letter in response to this one, please do it within an hour upon being received. If not, I'll send one sooner or later.

The two of us have another Reconnaissance run to do tonight, and with the lack of cover, the last thing we need is to be spotted because of obvious green flames in the dead of night. Send my compliments to Twilight!

Spike


"Alright, ready?" Sin asked holding onto a small log tied to an above branch via a long root. Spike noded and Sin released the log, allowing it to swing away from him. Spike took aim with his cross bow, lining up the head of the bolt against the small brown root wrapped around the logs center. After it hit it's full swing, the drake allowed his finger on the trigger waiting for the right time to loose the projectile.

His breath quickened and swallowed, he'd already lost three of his ten bolts to the forestry beyond after the two had failed to find them. But not this time, this time he'd hit it, this time, he'd split the root in two and bring that bloated hunk of wood down. The dragon was beginning to think himself crazy, but he could swear the log was mocking him. Sitting there swinging back and forth untouched by his attacks, but being at this for hours had taken it's toll on his mental state, so that was more than enough excuse for him to growl under his breath. "Die you bastard."

His finger tightened and the familiar, albeit minor, recoil of the weapon pushed against his shoulder. He watched with loathing as the bolt over shot the log by mere inches and stuck the tree behind it... again. He growled in frustration. "This is IMPOSSIBLE!" He yelled throwing the contraption onto the ground.

"Calm down." Sin replied approaching the wyrm. "You're being emotional while shooting again."

"Nooooo. I'm missing because, it. Is. Impossible!" Spike yelled, his eyes almost on fire. "We've been at this all day, and not once have I hit the damn thing!"

"Impossible?" Sin seethed before taking a few steps back and bucking the log. He quickly trotted away from the object and Spike before turning and taking aim with his own weapon. Not even three seconds past before he loosed his own bolt striking the root as if it were nothing, than quick loading a second arrow and losing it again in the same time.

Spike's head was a mix of both rage and amazement as his dream of seeing the cocky piece of wood that mocked him so, fell to the ground, the upholding root wire having been pierced and snapped. The both stood in silence for a moment, the dragons mind abuzz with how to respond to the event. He felt a bit insulted that Sin made it look so easy, but at the same time, he wanted to learn to do it himself; if nothing else than for the self serving desire to drop the log of his own volition and wish it's miserable existence nothing but kindle and tinder.

"Impossible." Sin spate gaining his associates attention. "And difficult are very different concepts. And I hate nothing more in this world than where such an excuse is given."

Spike pouted, "what ever, so you can do it. What makes you think I can?"

"Do you really think we've made no progress here?"

"Huh?" Spike quirked a confused brow, he was legitimately confused by the question. He'd fired countless time, and not a single one had managed to penetrate the log. How could progress have been made when he'd shown no signs of it. To his surprise, his teacher pointed to the tree where his missed bolts had repeatedly struck. "Yea, so what?"

Sin's ear twitched and he wondered over the three bolts stuck in the lower trunk. "A problem we had was that we were loosing bolts, you found holding your shot until it was lined up with the tree would be the best way to conserve ammunition, thus demonstrating problem solving." He gave a little criticism on how such a thing could also be counter productive as it puts another little ounce of pressure to only allow him to fire at a specific point, but that -in the long run- would help him to become a better bowmen in the long run.

Spike pondered the situation for a moment. To him, it seemed like common sense, yet he was receiving praise for it? Maybe Sin's as angry as he was because he really was surrounded by idiots?

A few minutes later, the two had the log set up again with more dug up root wire, and Spike was ready to start again. "Before we begin." Sin stated holding the log. "I want you to forget about the tree."

"What?" Spike asked lowing the bow. "But if I miss, we could lose the bolt."

"I know. but that's what's causing some of your anxiety." Sin explained. "What your trying to do will take alot of practice and time that we don't have. I promise you, you'll get there, but I'm already pushing you by skipping static targets. Just line up your shot, and take it when you're most comfortable now."

Spike gave a word of affirmation and Sin loosed the log again. Spike eyed the log again, he took aim with his bow and followed the root covered center. His vision found the tree and his body tensed, forget the tree, forget the tree, forget the tree he kept following as the wooden target begun it's back swing. He swallowed, and let out a slow breath. As it slowly began to swing for a second time, a feeling of euphoria overtook him. A brief moment of utter clarity and peace resonated through his body, and the cluttered rats nest of thought that was his mind, suddenly calmed.

He took the shot...

Two thuds erupted almost instantaneously. One was the familiar sound of the crossbow, another was an almost alien sound of shattering splinters over hallow wood. The young dragon gave a toothy grin and a small cheer upon discovering the bolt had lodged itself into the log. Albeit, not where he had targeted, but success and progress were still success and progress.

"Well done." Sin smiled.

"Thanks." Spike ran up to the log and retrieved the projectile, a proud smirk playing across his lips. "Hey Sin." He asked, tough he wanted to ask how the pony had gotten so good at shooting, another question came to mind. "Why did you leave the Senate?"

"What? Where did that come from?"

"Well, remember when I said friends want to know more about each other? I just want to know. Ya know?"

The former senator gave a wry smirk. "Well, it was because I was surrounded by idiots." He answered simply. "Now how I left might be a more interesting story..."


Big Macintosh leaned back against his all to comfy chair, Applebloom had been pestering him for the past three days about his adventures in both Equestria and the Federation. Her delighted smile at Nightmare Night festival, her shocked and disgusted words at the mention of the enslaved Diamond Dogs, and mix between excited and fearfulness at the story of his battle with Golvec amused him to no end. It was good to be home.

"Ah can't believe y'all fought a dragon!" Applebloom grinned. "Wait 'til Scootaloo hears 'bout this!"

"Thank Luna, she came 'n saved owah' flanks from tha' beast." Mac admitted, it did take away from the story that the four of them hadn't actually beaten the ruby Wyvern, though it was the truth, and a story he wasn't ashamed to tell.

Ace trotted down from upstairs, the golden pegasi had been invited to stay with the farmer while Star Shade was given a little tent to sleep near Discord. Under constant and well armed surveillance of course.

"Morning Mr. Ace!" The young filly greeted." Ace smiled sheepishly and returned the greeting. "Wha' happen to yer face?"

Mac tilted his head to see Ace's typically golden cheek, was now a slight lavender, with clear signs of swelling.

"Oh you know." Ace chuckled nervously. "Your sister and I just had a little accident." he trailed on, mumbling something unintelligible under his breath.

Mac sighed, ever since they had arrived back here; everypony discovered a whole new side of the stallion, the girls most of all. He enjoyed "playing" as he called it. In summary, he tried to jump on any flank that would have him. Sure, he did it in a smooth way, yet it was still meaningless sex. Hay, his first day in town and he was flirting up a storm between Lyra and Bon Bon, the later of whom had the pleasure of slapping him to the ground after a certain comment about her Cutie Mark.

Apparently, loss of consistent stress of freezing to death and venturing to the Senate had brought out the pony within. And that pony was veeeery friendly.

Luckily, Mac knew his sister wouldn't be deceived by some smooth words and a nice smile, and what ever she did would hurt Ace far more than anything he could do. Plus, it was nice to see the Apple family wrath brought down on somepony who actually deserved it.

Applebloom tried inquire as to the nature of the accident, though Mac winked and told her she was to young to know about those things. Rolling her eyes, the young filly chuckled and asked if she could go play with her friends. Mac nodded and she dashed out of the house.

After their privacy was confirmed, Mac shot a look to Ace. "Y'all tryin' to get with mah sister?"

"Actually no." Ace stated truthfully. "I was walking down the hall and she swung a two by four which caught me in the side of the face." Oh, that actually is a plausible explanation, AJ was doing some construction work in the guest room, going so far as to deny his assistance when offered. "Being told once is enough for me."

"A'righ'." Mac laid back in his chair again, contemplating his return to the Federation. Sin said that they would need at least a week to cross the border, intricate planning on not getting caught and what not, so most of the Equestrians decided to return to Ponyville and catch up with old friends along with relaxing for a bit with in the confides of their nice, safe, and warm homes. Pinkie was back with the Cakes, Rainbow was back at her cloud house, and Applejack, Ace and he were back home. Twilight and Shade elected to both stay in Canterlot, reasons were obvious for both, considering.

However, thoughts of how things had been trailed back to him. The cold and lack of readily available food they had endured hadn't been lost on him. He really appreciated his life on the farm right now. Compared to the sleepless nights, freezing marches and lack of any real certainty at all; dealing with Ace's shenanigans was relatively low key in terms of stress. However, he had a few questions as to why anypony would willfully live in such a way.

"Hey Ace, can ya tell meh sumthin'?"

"Depends, what do you want to know?"

"Why did Sin leave the Federation?"

Ace pressed his lips together, surprising a small chuckle. "Wait, he didn't tell you why he left?"

"Enope."

The golden pegasus' grinned evily as he took a seat on the green sofa opposite Mac. "Well, you know how politicians are right?"

"Nope."

The flier chuckled, than he cleared his throat and calmed himself. "Well, they're idiots. No, I'm not talking about your run of the mill village fool; I'm talking, they like to mess up."

Mac quirked a confused brow. Ace let out a sigh, before mentioning how he would need to explain it in great detail. Apparently politicians in the Federation aren't like those in Equestria. Mayor Mare wouldn't be caught dead going directly against the wishes of the Ponyville citizenry. Yet it was pretty much expected in not only N. Equine, but the country as a whole. To emphasize on why that would be, Ace told of what lobbyists were, and how the political desires of the citizenry came second to the self serving interest of the politicians who made up the Senate and local governments.

Suddenly, Mac realized how good it was to have a divine and benevolent being rule over them in such a way. The princess was actually very lenient compared to the ruling class of tAce's homeland. When questioned about the citizens actions against the selfish indulgences of their representatives, the Federalist gave a reply that nearly dropped the crimson stallions jaw to the floor.

"The're doin' nothin'?"

"Not a damn thing." Ace replied. His usually calm and charming demeanor turned into head shaking disappointment. "They just sit by while our politicians destroy the country. Some of us have rallied under the Syndicate to peacefully lead a resistance against them. However, they Federal Government has been getting more violent against the protests. And as a result, so have we against them."

"More violen'? Why?"

"Well, despite the trouble Triple M. has caused us, they really haven't been a big corporation for very long."

Asking what they had to do with this, Mac listened intently to the history of Triple M. And how it's original creator, a pony by the name of Mandylion, had donated the company to his son; Jemeni. -Man these ponies have some weird names- And how this particular Corperate's interest revolved around violence, with it's use of Mercenaries and Medical. What better way to make money than to heal what you've hurt?

As fascinating as this story was, Mac couldn't help but bring it back to his original question.

"Oh right, sorry." Ace chuckled. "Well, Sin only made it through half of his term in the Senate before he was half kicked out, half left. There was this bill..." Ace chuckled, though continued with the story. "This bill was meant to provide a universal healthcare system in Northern New Equine. And Islander, he..." He burst out into another case of chuckles.

"Islander?" Mac questioned.

Ace's laughter died immediately. A look of realization causing his eyes to constrict. "Ahem, sorry. Anyway, the creator of the bill was a from the Griffin state of Columbus." Before Mac could enquirer why a senator from a different state would offer to give universal health care to N. Equine, Ace explained that Sin and Xom, the opposing politician, hated each others guts. While Sin focused primarily on halting all freedom impeding bills (Which was pretty much all of them) Xom took his own sponsored bill being stopped personally, and lead the Healthcare legislation as an attack on Sin personally.

"And once Xom began to say that the bill was a reward for all of his hard work, by implying Sin wished to give his state free health care, Sin lunges out of his seat, climbs over all the other senators and starts whaling on the poor bastard." Mac's eyes widened and he started to chuckle.

"He started a brawl within the whole chamber!" Ace laughed, forcing the stallion to join in the merriment. Mac felt a bit guilty, he was laughing at ponies and such getting hurt but at the same time this 'Xom' probably had it coming. Not to mention Sin, the stoic and composed pony that mad Big Macintosh himself look like an expressive chatter box, jumping over who knows how many ponies and griffins, snarling and cursing, jumping onto a griffin and flat out beating the crap out of him? How could he not laugh at that?


"NO WAY!" Spike exclaimed whist attempting to hold back a laugh. "Y- you didn't!"

"Sure did." Sin smiled arrogantly. "If memory serves, I knocked out three of his teeth." His smile grew. "Good times."

After a few more bits of laughter, Spike calmed himself and asked "And that's why you left?" He wiped a forming tear.

"Well, that's what prompted my vacation, but what made me leave was the lack of action by the citizenry."

"What?"

"Well-" The stallion's words caught in his throat, Spike stood expectantly, a bit confused by his friends sudden desire to become a statue. In the silence, he heard something.

"What?" The drake asked only to be hushed by Sin. The ponies ear twitched and he quietly motioned to be followed. Not wanting to question it, Spike followed close behind until they both were ducked down behind a larger tree. As they silently sat, the sounds became clearer, it turned into voices. Voices meant sentience, and sentience meant Citizens, and Citizens means... Buck.

The dragon's heart rate began to accelerate and time slowed as the voices became louder. Adrenalin coursed through his almost trembling form. What if they were spotted? Could they handle these guys? And if they could, what would 'handling them' require?

His eyes widened and his breath caught in his throat. They might have to-

Sin poked his shoulder motioned for Spike to cut down the log. The drake complied after making sure the approaching Federalists weren't in sight yet. He jump up and cutting the root with his claws while his associate under neath to catch and silence it's decent. Once that task was complete they gathered the bolts from the tree trunk and dashed back to the hiding spot to await for the threat to pass.

No, no they wont have to kill them, Spike tried to assure himself, if anything; they'll probably go on and none will be the wise- "Belch!"

"What was that?" One of the voices called.

"It came from over there!" Said another.

Spike looked in dread and disbelief at the small parchment that rest on the forest floor. His attention lost to the patrol heading his direction for a moment, and completely on the princess. Really? Right then and there? He had specifically asked that the princess NOT send anything until After he'd confirmed they were in a safe place, or one hour after he'd sent the last scroll. And it had been far longer than an hour.

"Spike!" Sin spat in a harsh whisper, breaking the drake of his shock. He looked over to find Sin had replaced his bolt in his crossbow and put another one on the quick load holster. "Get your bow ready!"

He replied with a dumb nod of the head and grabbed on the bolts he'd collected from the tree. His mind was a race of thoughts again. Ranging from having to kill the ponies/griffin/whatever coming, and chewing out the princess for not following what he said. A mix of anger and fear flared up inside, his nervousness blatantly apparent from the difficult time he was having placing the bolt where it needed to be.

"We know you're out there!" One of them yelled close enough to send a cold shiver up Spike spine. "We're armed, come out now, and we'll only consider killing you!"

Chest rapidly expanding and contracting, the drake's fidgeting and dis-coordinated movements only seemed to worsen the longer they waited. What were they going to do to them?

"Three." Sin called pushing his head against the trunk of the tree. "Three of them. One griffin, one earth, one Unicorn." He looked over and adjusted the bolt in his Spikes crossbow. Turning the bolt around so that the arrow would shoot out head first instead of the nook. The stallion place a third bolt from the pile into his an attached bow quiver and chanced another look.

"I don't see anything." A third voice said, this one a bit higher pitched than the rest.

"You saying you didn't hear that belch and ruffle of leaves?"

"Maybe it was just a muskrat or something."

"Muskrats don't belch like that dumbass."

Spike listened to the three fight, for some reason it helped to calm his nerves; hearing three patrol agents fight like that spoke volumes to their composure and competence.

"Fine, if you're so paranoid about it, go check it out yourself."

"Fine, I will!"

Breath caught in his throat, the hatchling gripped his weapon tight. This was it, if he found them it was over. He or they would have to die. And so would the other two to stop them from getting reinforcements.

Sin took a breath and inspected his crossbow rapidly, after deeming it suitable for use; he held it at the ready with one last nod to Spike.

Spike gained control of his breath as the crushing steps of their pursuer grew louder. He wanted to run, he wanted to leave this place and return home to his family and friends. What would they do to him if he and Sin were captured? Was it better to surrender? The law wouldn't take kindly to them resisting arrest and killing it's agents. What if they were caught after killing all three of them? Would they be sent to the dungeons or worse, would they be hanged?

The crunching of hooves on leaves almost deafened him now. The patrol agent was just on the other side of their wooden cover.

Spike silently apologized to Twilight and the rest of the girls before he mustered what courage he had left, steeling himself for the fight that was to come. A smile graced his mouth at the irony of the situation, he'd squared off against a ruby dragon who was at least twenty times his size, and walked right out to challenge him and lead him into a trap. Yet here. Against two ponies and a griffin he was almost petrified? Funny how life works.

"Oi!" Called a distant voice, refraining Spike from his intention of turning the tree and hoping for the best. "Find anything?"

A shred of hope popped up.

"No... Guess it really was nothing!" The agent called back before breathing a sigh of relief, prompting Spike to nearly collapse from his own release of tension.

"Hang on." He heard causing him to gasp. "What's that?" More hoofsteps indicated the agent was walking again. Sin looked over to see the back of the stallions indigo back as he observed the log with the root wrapped around it.

Now it was over.

Sin quietly began to creep up on the unsuspecting agent, his bow already taken aim.

"Why would a root tie around a log?" The unicorn asked to no one in particular. "Unless..." He turned to find his woe confirmed. Spike covered his eyes waiting for the thud of the firing bolt to come end end the Federalist's life. Though, it never did. He made a silent wish and removed his claws to find both of the ponies standing absolutely still, the patrol agent wearing a mask of horror while his captor held one of determination.

"W-W- What are y-you doing here?" The unicorn stuttered, a strange green tunic with a golden insignia of an eye on his chest, assumable the uniform of the guard.

Sin placed the bow against the very top of the stallions head, right against the middle of his horn. "Call to your friends." He snarled.

Spike's jaw hit the floor, why would he want to have them come here? Why didn't Sin just wait for him to leave?

"Duke! Earl!" Was all he managed before Sin stomped his muzzle, knocking him out cold.

"Cilide?" called the higher pitched voice.

Sin motioned for Spike to stay behind the tree and quickly joined him as rushed hoofsteps began shuffling the leaves leading up to them. "CLIDE!" Called the earth pony. The two bent down to check on their friend. "What happened?"

"I did."

The Earth pony and Griffin looked back to find themselves looking up the cross hairs of Sin and Spike. While the griffin had a simple look of shock, the earth ponies was a mix of surprise and rage. "What did you- ugh!" He shouted as Sin slammed his hoof into the ponies face, like before, the stallion fell to the forest floor in a boneless heap.

The griffin however was not as accepting of the situation as her friend, and lunged at his assailant.

THUD!

The griffin fell the ground, a bolt protruding from her chest. Sin looked over to find Spike wide eyed and mouth gaped, and an unloaded bow in his clawed hands.

Silence engulfed the dragon, his mind went blank, the world around him became irrelevant. Sight, smell, touch; it was all lost into oblivion now. He'd just shot a griffin... he just killed somebody.


Senator Thornberry opened her eyes to find herself sitting in a warm and well kept study. The light crackling of a small fire contained within a small red bricked chimney drowned out any sound there might have been. Her eyes shifter around to find the rest of the room was filled with (Faux) leather bound books placed neatly upon multiple shelves that reached to the ceiling.

A large wooden desk with ink quills and scattered across it's top stood to her left. A long green rug with gold trim acted as a pathway from the fire place to the work station. Complimented by the darker wood and darkened window beyond.

She rubbed her head, a massive head ache making it's presence known by trying to split her brain in two.

"Where am I?" She asked moving back upright. A small swishing sound drew her attention to the red reading chair where she currently sat. She rose a hoof up to her head to feel a large lump beginning to form under he mane... Ok, how did I get here?

I remember leaving the Senate building, and than doing something... What was it?

As if fate wanted to answer her question, a small creak of a door opening squeaked behind her. She turned to find a grey earth pony smiling at her. "Malich?"

"Good evening madam Senator." The businesspony greeted closing the door behind him. "I do apologize for your rather, forced presence. Tusk can be... well never mind." He took the seat opposite her. "How are you feeling?"

"Why did you knock me out?" The mare demanded, immediately regretting her raised voice and favoring her temples.

Malich chuckled. "Straight down to business. My brother chose his successor well." He clopped his hooves together three times. The door swung open again, the sound of struggling and dragging caused Thornberry to stand at attention. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw two black clad griffins carrying a turquoise pegasus into the room.

"Windmane!" She exclaimed running to the pegasus, he headache lost to her now by a sudden wave of hope and happiness.

The duo let the pony fall to the floor, allowing Thornberry to tend to his unconscious form. "Windmane?" She cooed softly, caressing his head. She looked up to Malich with nothing but pure hatred.

"Unconscious, I assure you." He smirked clopping his hooves together again. The lackeys gave a deep bow before exiting the room. "Islander wouldn't forgive me if I killed you now."

His words fell on deaf ears after he confirmed Windmane was still alive. She didn't care what he had to say at this point, she was with her beloved again, and now, if only for a moment, was their time to feel reunited.

"Windmane." She whispered, tears forming in her eyes. His face was beaten and battered, a black eye swollen on the left side of his face right over a few lumps and lacerations on his cheek. She kissed his ragged mane and held him close, silently weeping into the top of his head. His typical smell of chard wood and kitchen spices had dulled severely, as well as the sheen of his coat, only adding to the mare's grief. 'What did they do to you?'

A dark chuckle erupted from behind her. "It's rather funny in a way." Malich lectured, causing Thornberry to tense up. "You politicians talk such a big game upon your pedestals."He snickered. "Promising this and proclaiming that, declaring your support for the little guys, yet all I have to do-" He stood and walked over to the collapsed stallion causing Thornberry to bare her teeth. "is threaten one little Citizens life, and suddenly you'll lick the dirt off of my horseshoe."

"You monster." The mare spat, her voice sounding more like a pathetic sneeze than an insult.

"Yes. I whom try to rid the world of the ignorant and foolish, am the monster." The pony rolled his eyes in amusement. "Unlike you, who agree to protect stupidity and ignorance by making your little 'laws' and what not." He wondered over to his desk and pulled open a drawer, retrieving a rather nice bottle of what Thornberry assumed to be alcohol and a shot glass.

"This is what's going to happen." He said after pouring himself a shot. The mare had no idea what the amber liquid was specifically, but the odor it wrought was pungent enough to make her gag. It must have been stronger than anything she had, considering her captor was at least twelve feet away.

"What?" She whispered.

The Businesspony threw the glass up, draining the contents into his mouth. "I am giving you time with him now as a token of good faith. However, In return, I expect you to give your resignation from the Senate in a week." His Ice blue eyes locked onto hers, any form of amusement gone "And if you should fail to do this, I'll have you both killed."

Thornberry's eyes widened. 'killed?'

"We'll go to the media!" She exclaimed, he mouth jumping her brain. "They'll expose you and what you've done!"

Malich laughed mirthlessly before slamming another shot. "You don't mean the Unitas Times do you? The Paper I own? Or perhaps the Federalist Papers a company a close associate of mine would be more than happy to allow me to influence."

The Senator pressed her lips together, Windmane's head clutched sternly in her forelegs. How could she have let her mouth get ahead of her like that? It was common sense to almost everyone that the large news papers and radio shows were owned by Malich and his friends.

After that outburst, she thought it best just to nod in affirmation, keep her mouth shut, and hanger her head in defeat. Silently hoping she hadn't damaged her chances at more of Malich's generosity, she also couldn't help but ponder about his intentions. 'He could kill us both and it would have the same effect as me leaving the Senate, why is he allow us to live?'

The mentioned smiled and clopped his hooves again, the doors swung open and the two griffins from before stood over the two Senators with expectant stares.

"I'm glad we have an understanding." He took one last shot and replaced the bottle and glass. "Take Windmane back to the cellar." He called looking out the window. "And escort the good Senator out."

Thornberry found her self grabbed by one of the mercenaries. She cried in protest as Windmane was stolen from her and carried out of the hall. "Malich!" She yelled struggling against her captor, "Give him back to me!"

"You'll be retrieved when it's time." Malich half assured, his gaze still fixed on the darkening city outside the window of the study.

The door closed, though the mares cries of anger and protest could still be heard from outside the hall. After they had finally died down, the pony let out a sigh and placed his hoof on the glass and spoke in a calm whisper. "And when you leave, I'll finally have what I need to eradicate the idiots whom leech off this world."