• Published 8th Dec 2012
  • 1,206 Views, 63 Comments

Why is life? - Daxisle



Mac and Spike accompany a friend to a forign nation to discover beyond the borders of Equestria.

  • ...
3
 63
 1,206

Femanism (Part 1)

Feminism

(Stallions= Male, Mares = Females.IN GENERAL! Because I can't use men and women, and the words "Male" and "Female" are becoming repetitive as hell... Yea, that's getting kinda annoying. And there isn't any accurate gender title that would encompass all of the races.)


Dear princess Celestia,

Your continued concern for Spike's well being is greatly appreciated. He isn't anywhere back to himself yet, if he will ever be, but he has made some emotional progress in the past couple of days. At least he's smiling again. I wish I could do more for him, I still can't imagine how he feels right now. But as his guardian, and the closest thing to a mother he has, I'll do all I can to make him feel better, even if all i can offer is love and compassion.

We are about a days walk away from the small city of Yellowfield, Sin's injury has caused our pace to slow immensely. We've all tried talking to him about it, but no matter what; he brushes us off. We're all becoming a little worried, I may have only known him a short time, but what these two experienced at the border has changed them both far more than I originally thought.

Unfortunatly, the scenery hasn't really changed as I predicted. See Report: F;SE #2, Expanded for details. However, my next report will contain the information that I have been greatly looking forward to obtaining for you ever since this quest began! I'm not going to lie, that does make me a little excited.

Expect a detailed report within a few days!

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle


The troop finally encroached the town.

'This was small?!' Mac thought to himself as the buildings only towered higher the closer he got. 'It's not as big as Canterlot, but sweet Jimminy Crickets... He felt a bit overwhelmed, Though judging by the other Equestrians reactions, he wasn't alone in his stupor. Even Spike, in his depressed state, couldn't help but gawk.

As they neared the outskirts of the city, shouts emanating from within could be heard. How was that even possible to hear them all the way out here? Mac squinted his eyes to see a congregation of all different races gathered. Finally they got close enough to hear what all the commotion was about.

"Are you freaking serious?" Sin deadpanned.

"What's going on?" Twilight asked.

Mac looked at the crowd again, he made out black flags with some kind of red symbol he wasn't familiar with. It looked like a cross with an "O" on the top of it. What was that about? His ears swiveled to hear what someone within was saying.

"For too long have we lived under the oppression of the patriarchy!" A female voice rang out, erupting a cheer from the crowd. "Now is the time for we as females to be heard and demand equality!"

"What are they talking about?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Sin groaned and massaged his temple with his hooves. "They.. They're... You know, I don't even know anymore. Probably demanding more anti-male bull shit as usual" He continued walking to the crowd, mumbling something under his breath.

Finally, the made it to the mass, Mac began observing the signs certain members of the crowd were holding...


"My Safety is a right."

"Females are Citizens too."

"Violence against Us should be a crime."

And they just kept going on...

He put a hoof to his chin and furrowed his brow, why would the need signs like that? Were females here not considered citizens or something? Was violence deemed acceptable by the law against them? Perhaps North Equine was worse in some ways than he had originally thought. He voiced his concerns to Sin and Ace, both reacting in annoyance and disbelief.

"NO!" Ace yelled. "Of course the women of this country are citizens."

"And violence against them is against the law." Sin affirmed. He looked back. "These feminist types believe they 'fight for equality', but if you want the truth, take a look at some of the banners they carry."

The troop advanced farther. While most of the signs were relatively harmless, though confusing, it was then that Mac observed some of the... less family oriented text.

"All Stallions are RAPISTS!"

"Males make the world Dangerous!"

"If I wanted the government in my womb, I'd fuck a Senator!"

Rainbow, Twilight, and Applejack listened intently to the female Minotaur's words while Mac farther interrogated Sin as to the point of the whole rally, asking questions about signs and rhetoric. Apparently, the ones about the bodies being there's were in pertinence to abortion and the governments involvement in it. As expected, he supported the mare's decisions to their bodies, however, there was an issue about state funded abortion that was the real issue. To Mac there was just one issue... He had no idea what an abortion was. Sounded more like a female thing, so he didn't want to really push the issue too much.

The other signs were explained as females who want the state to give them more pity and sympathy, while simultaneously assaulting the character and moral fiber of men as a whole. Curiously, should those signs be shifted to anything else, -such as race, state, or any other group- it would be considered illegal, and the sign holders would have been arrested. However, since it was males in general there was no action taken. Also as expected, Females were considered citizens with rights, violence against them was a crime -there was also a bill just for them as well-.

"What is she going on about?" Spike asked confused. "Are girls really treated as second class citizens?" By the way she was talking, you'd think they were.

"No." Sin growled eying the pink minotaur. "While not all feminists are like her, she is more of a misandrist than a feminist."

"Misan what now?"

"Misandry is to girls as misogyny is to boys." Sin replied beginning to walk around the crowd. The feminist movement started as an equal rights belief. However, as time went on, misandry became more and more prevalent; being pushed as female empowerment via the tearing down of males." He scoffed. "Since then, feminists have been taken a great deal less seriously by the general public; but not so by the government."

"So what your saying is that they see girls as superior to boys?"

"Inferior actually."

"Wait, what?"

Mac had to agree with the dragon's confusion on the matter. To him, it seemed as if the 'feminists' here saw stallions as the inferior sex. Making them out to be bad simply for their gender and the actions of a few. He motioned to a small diner and lead the Equestrians inside. Once they all were seated he offered to buy them anything on the menu, advising to stay away from the back. Mac had to admire the setting, the light colored walls and and checkered floor had a certain old fashioned appeal to it.

"To answer your question." Sin stated as he looked for something good to eat. "They preach about wanting equality between the sexes, yet demand special privilege from the state to get it. While the males like you and myself get no such favors from them. Why would they need special rights?"

Mac thought it over, though he knew he was only getting one side of the story; though his young friend seemed more accepting of the prospect. "I don't know." Spike shrugged. "Because girls are weaker than boys?"

"Spike!" Twilight exclaimed in disbelief. "Women can be just as strong as men. Equestria doesn't have any laws like that, yet there are more mares in higher office than stallions."

"She's right." Sin nodded. "Which is one of the reasons I wanted to visit. The females of Equestria are a bit more determined and ambitious than the ones here, however... You're stallions are also a bit more, what's the word I'm looking for? Whipped."

"Whipped?" Twilight replied tilting her head.

"Yes, basically: the males in your country have a tendency to accept what ever the mares say, along with the fact Equestrians are also more restraint and respectful of the fact." His eyes trailed to Macintosh, "I think you'll be able to explain it better than I can."

Mac let out a sigh, it was embarrassing, the way he used to be. Though, Sin was right. From what he saw, if a mare was upset or angry, most of the stallions would simply bow to their whims just to get along. (Along with those damn adorable pouty faces... Seriously! What defense is there against that where you don't feel like a complete cold hearted cad?) His interaction with his own family was clear evidence of this. The more he thought about it, the more he also realized that most interaction between the sexes that he'd born witness to had worked in pretty much the same way. Mr. and Mrs. Cake, Spike, His cousin Caramel Apple, and all of the guards in the Military. Hay, they weren't even allowed to speak! What kind of crap is that?

"Add to that the disproportionate ratio of mares to stallions, and it's only natural that it would be a female dominated society." Sin finished placing down the menu and explained that here the females are not the dominant sex, albeit they are in slightly greater number, males and females are more balanced. More over, females were treated as a lesser for about a century, though that ended with the rise of feminism over one hundred years ago.

At that point, the Federation's attitude of girls and boys wasn't all that different from Equestria's. Females didn't hold political power, but their influence within the government and the corporations via consumer advertisement and product aim; more than made up for the fact. There was still those who called "patriarchy" but realistically: Law was out in force to protect the female sex at every turn. It was a woman's world to the rational mind.

However, to reach this state, the males were demonized and torn down; even to the point they began to hate themselves

. Shown in only the absolute worst light via being called: Rapists, fema-beaters, misogynists and terrorists against the other sex. And as time passed, the cliche' card of "be a Stallion" and "Stallion up" failed to keep those who would point out this inequality in check. More fema's also had enough of the blatant sexism and sided with them; claiming they wanted equality with males, not special treatment.


Sin's history lesson was interrupted by a waiter who came to take the groups order. It was a unanimous decision to allow Ace and Sin to order, seeing as they were the only Federalists of the group. A quirked brow from the waiter and an order of nine vegitable soups later, the earth stallion left and Sin continued.

"But to answer your question, these so called 'feminists' did and do use the the biological disposition to favor stronger males to their advantage, while simultaneously claiming the sexes are equal in every way. Confusing and contrived as it is, they used political correctness to have their cake and eat it too." He took a sip of water given by the server. "And now they want to return to the old ways."

"Wow..." Twilight said wide eyed. "Is that true."

"Indeed it is, it's quite ingenious actually. Call sexism on everything to get ahead and then bring a males masculinity into question should they fight back. when we get to a library, I'll-"

"WHAT THE HAY!?" Rainbow Dash exclaimed glaring hard at the menu in disgust.

Oh great, she looked in the back...

"Why is there Rabbit stew in here?!" She described the entree', the girls and Mac began to turn green the more she described how the innocent creature was cooked and prepared with a side of corn and green beans.

The liberty pony placed a hoof over his eyes. "Yes Miss Dash, in the Federation, we have omnivorous beings such as Griffins and Diamond Dogs. They do eat meat."

After the food arrived, the travelers indulged. Judging by the looks and sounds he was observing; the girls seemed to enjoy the food well enough. Sin never much cared for vegetable soup, considering he'd lived off of it for the past year and a half, it wasn't all that surprising. The dinner conversation jumped from topic to topic. The Unitas derby that Rainbow seemed rather interested in participating in. (Her bragging to Ace indicated the notion anyway.)

Applejack and Mac spoke to Spike about home. Catching up since the first few days back weren't exactly ideal for such conversation. The dragon began to smile genuinely though his eyes still held sadness, it would still be a while before he was anything like his old self. Shade was unnervingly quite, his angry eyes darting to some hot pink mare that shamed Pinkie Pie herself.

From what Sin saw of the mares face, Shade's feelings were returned ten fold. Pinkie smiled, happily drinking and humming to herself; while he and Twilight spoke more about the town.

After, Sin paid the tab and they exited back to the cold. The leader of the group informed the rest that they would be sleeping in an motel by the diner they just left. After a quick promise they would remember where they were, they group split up to see the sights of the small city. Save Spike and Shade, who demanded to be given a room immediately. Sin obliged and was joined by Pinkie and Twilight.

The ponies wondered the streets, the mares were in awe, observing the street performers, indulging in the free samples of road side venders, and the questions... Dear sweet beard of Tapio, he'd never been bombarded by so many. The uninviting apparel of Steam run carriages, the effervescent smell of cooked meat in the air, darker and more conformist looking buildings, he shouldn't have been surprised they were as shocked as they were. After all, Equestria was more about compassion, harmony, and friendship. Their country shrived for excellence in this regard, but N. Equine wasn't. It was about efficacy and profit... Perhaps there could be something to learned from both sides.

After he'd explained what little he knew about the steam engine to the lavender unicorn. They turned a corner and came across the same hot pink earth mare from the dinner. Sin didn't think it would be of consequence, though her blocking their path proved his suspicions wrong.

"...Hi." She spat eying him.

"Afternoon." he replied bluntly. "May I help you?"

She flipped her fru fru white mane over he shoulder and introduced herself as Link and mentioned how she could help but over hear the conversation back in the dinner.

'Of course you couldn't' Sin thought smirking 'Please be looking for trouble, please be looking for trouble.' He silently begged the mare to start something, he knew it was coming; it wasn't often you're stopped on the street for saying something here, but when you were, it was usually to get a piece of some one else's mind. And this mare didn't disappoint him.

"... and to that degree, I believe you cherry picked the truth about feminism." She gave a sadistic and knowing smile.

Sin's eyes narrowed as he glared into her own yellow retinas. 'Oh yes, and let the games begin.' He didn't much care about Twilight's scribling on a quill, nor Pinkie's interested eyes. Right now, this was about him. Him and the fun he hadn't had since Canterlot...

"My apologize Ms. Link," Sin's smirk grew mischievous. "However, from your statement; it seems you think my observation on the matter less than accurate. By all means, please." He gestured for her to reply.

Link nodded and explained how the statistics on the Feminist era showed that a higher rate of mares had good paying jobs and more sound employment. Sin replied with the fact that the legislation necessary for this had turned females into a quota for employers, they weren't selected for their skills or abilities, but because they lacked a certain external genitalia organ.

Link didn't take that well, and motioned to the domestic violence against mares. How even during the period, the domestic violence rate against females was extremely high, and the lack of Feminism would have only allowed it to continue, and that wasn't including the mares who were to scared to come forth and report the crimes. Sin chuckled and added to those figures, how about 50% of all domestic crime back then and even now, was perpetrated by mares as much as stallions, And that was after the filter of 'masculinity' and shame preventing stallions from reporting the crime.

After came the one Sin was waiting for... Rape. He hated rape, it was one of the most disgusting things that could happen in this world and he couldn't tolerate it's act for even a moment. However, if she followed the typical feminist logic, she would be more for the victim reporting the crime after, than taking a stand against it at the current point in time.

And she didn't disappoint. A small crowed of three or four ponies had drawn around them, minus Pinkie and Twilight. Two were heavily on the side of Link, while the others were more for Sin. Each spoke their peace against the other, but Link and Sin were in a world of their own. After the logical points failed, the stallion resisted the urge to face-hoof once the emotional arguments came.

"Are you insinuating rape is condonable Sin?" The pink mare asked quirking an eyebrow.

"Of course not." Sin replied smiling. "Unlike you, I believe true measures must be taken to prevent it."

"Unlike me?!" She asked wide eyed. "Legislation and education against such an atrocity are far more effective than anything you could suggest."

"Really?" He replied cracking his neck. "Education that rape is bad? You'd be hard pressed to find a rapist who didn't already know it was an immoral thing to do. And how has that legislation on the war on drugs thing worked out for us?"

Link tried to press her point by communities acting responsibly and protecting each other. Though, beating that argument wasn't hard due simply to the fact that there wouldn't always be someone around to protect you. "You just love your patriarchy!" She growled.

'That's it? She's already breaking out the insults? Huh, the Feminists are getting worse than I thought. All well, fun time.'

"Yes madam, I'm a mare hater for advocating that they carry self defense devices and use their minds to avoid bad situations." He dead panned.

Link retorted that it was a mare's right to walk down an ally way with out being assaulted. While the liberty stallion couldn't agree more by any means, reality had other ideas. No amount of justification to morality she gave could ever equate to the cold and harsh truth of life. Laws only work after the fact. They don't stop victimization, they don't stop crimes from being committed and they have failed in keeping citizens safe.

However, Link wouldn't have it.

"You misogynistic, fema repressing pig!" Yelled the hot pink mare.

Sin chuckled. "Oh yes, I am quite the mare hater." He looked back to Twilight and Pinkie Pie. "I repress them six or seven times a day, isn't that right ladies?"

Pinkie giggled, whether it was from the joke or the fact that Sin was trying to be funny; he couldn't say.

"I mean look at them," He motioned dramatically, "They are so subservient and miserable just being around me and...
Miss Pie!" Sin exclaimed in mock surprise. "Are you..." he gasped "Giggling?" He fought to withhold a smile. "How dare you laugh? Don't you know you're being oppressed?" His tone, his facial structure, it was too much for the unicorn mare, and she too began chuckling at the sarcastic antics of the pony before her. Truly, Sin had to take pride in his acting.

He chanced a look at the feminist to find her scowling. Was it immature? Yes, but this entire conversation warranted nothing less "Well, I cannot believe what I'm seeing." He placed a hoof to his chest. "I repress you, I oppress you and everything in between... And here you are giggling like mad-mares?!" The two ponies couldn't contain their chuckling. It grew from the low snickers to full on laughter.

"Well," He scoffed, looking back to the feminist. "Madam I assure you, they have never behaved in such a way. But fear not, when we are done here, I shall obtain my magical oppression stick and place them back into the oppressive coal mines. Where they will harvest oppressive coal so that I may earn oppressive monies!"

"You're a disgrace to male kind." Link called baring her teeth.

Sin's sarcastic demeanor dropped immediately and he glared into her eyes. "And you are a disgrace to females word wide. You advocate them become victims and reliant to and entity who could really care less about them, while I preach for citizen empowerment via self defense." Sin turned to the Equestrians who were coming down from a laughing fit, and gave her one last glance. "You, and those like you, are far more dangerous to fema-hood than any rapist or mare-beater could ever be."

He began walking with Twilight and Pinkie in tow. His opponent yelled something after him though he didn't care. Victory was sweet on his tongue, and pride full in his chest. He really loathed ignorance, and while mares like her had good intentions, they had very little foresight... Or hindsight for that matter.


One of the stallions who silently observed a verbal debate smiled and walked into a dark alleyway. He pulled out a piece of parchment and a quill and used a random crate to write a simple letter.

Malich

Islander still has his edge.

10/10 against Link.

-Rodcrick

Author's Note:

Had I not had that exact debate with a Feminist in real life, I wouldn't have used it. And yes, she did stick with it the entire way until I was unable to speak anymore.

So before the "Daxisle! How dare you trivialize feminism to such a point?!" I do it because when I debated with Feminists in the past, this is what it came to. Unless one indulges the emotional arguments, this is pretty much how it ends every time. (And trust me, you'd call me a bull faced liar if I repeated what most of them threw at me.)

I wish I could argue better for them. But, between trying to keep it realistic, and within the logical point of view; the emotional side just doesn't look good on paper.

I know this chapter was dialog heavy, and nothing really happened. I'll make up for it in the next chapter. And I already feel bad for Big Macintosh and Spike.