• Published 8th Dec 2012
  • 1,206 Views, 63 Comments

Why is life? - Daxisle



Mac and Spike accompany a friend to a forign nation to discover beyond the borders of Equestria.

  • ...
3
 63
 1,206

Because why not?

Dear Princess Celestia.

Life is confusing.

Your faithful Student

Twilight Sparkle. And Spike and Mac.


'I'm really starting to regret declining the offer of being held prisoner in Celestia's castle.' Sin thought as he limped on, minding his injured appendage. 'I can deal with a lot of crap, but this constant getting in my way for some childish view of magnanimity is driving me to-'

"Ah!" Sin yelled after he felt something pull on his tail. "WHAT!?"

The weight, one Pinkie Pie, released him and pouted. "What is your problem?"

"For starters, a mare who likes to butt into others affairs, half cocked with no understanding."

Pinkie rolled her eyes, bringing another conflict within Sin to slam his hoof into her face. "That's not what I meant and you know it!"

"No, no I'm afraid I don't know." The stallion turned face to face with her. "Please do elaborate."

"When you were hurting her, you were smiling!"

Silence. He wasn't really sure how to respond to that. 'I was smiling? Well, that's disconcerting' He admitted to himself that he did enjoy causing her pain, there was no denying that. But with a subconscious smile? Perhaps it was time to do some real self evaluation, despite how much he didn't want to.

Finally Pinkie spoke again, a little above a whisper this time. "I didn't like seeing you like that."

The look on her face was disheartening, she looked on the brink of tears... for him? She didn't know him. they weren't close, he'd be hard pressed to even call them anything more than acquaintances. Yet here she stood, seeming genuinely concerned for him.

"Why?"

Pinkie didn't answer.

"Why do you still pretend to care? What do you hope to gain out of it?"

Her reaction wasn't what he'd hoped for. It wasn't a smile to admit that he'd seen through her, it wasn't the hurt look of innocence, trying to prolong the game. Instead; she just sighed. 'What does this mare want from me?'

"This isn't about me." Her voice was calm, a knowing kind of calm. "This is about you."

"Me?" He shook his head. "What about me? I was trying to get information on my psychotic of a Corporate head brother!"

"Why do you always do that?" The mare replied. "Why, whenever the subject of you is brought up, you make it to something bigger than you?"

Sin stood silently, he was far too angry to control this round. He wanted yell at her, he wanted to tell her off and leaver her an emotional wreck. But she was different this time around, she was calmer, cooler, more collected. She was what he was trying to expose her to be ever since they'd begun traveling together.

He couldn't help but chuckle. After all the time he'd spent trying to get her to show her true colors, he'd finally gotten it out at just the wrong moment. A moment where he would actually lose. 'Clever girl. I wonder if she planned it this way?'

Pinkie titled her head. "What are you laughing at?"

She held all the cards. She had the rationality advantage, mentally fresh as well as physically excellent. There was only one thing Sin could do... stall by Quid pro Quo. He offered to answer one of her question's if she'd answer one of his. The pink pony thought the deal over than nodded in agreement.

Sin lead off with: 'why she stayed?' The Equestrians had seen what had happened to Spike, how emotionally torn he was over killing another sentient being, why not go home where things were simple and safe? It had to have been better than sticking around in this freezing and hostile environment.

"The others did want to go back, but Spike said he wanted to stay." Spike wanted to stay? What?

Apparently, even in his emotional distress, he felt compelled to remain in the Federation. When asked why, he couldn't really explain it, he just kept saying he didn't want to leave. And with his current condition, none of the girls dared to either.

"And why did you come back?"

Pinkie chanced a smile than looked at Sin's side, "I had to make sure you didn't break your Pinkie Promise silly."

'Of course you did.'

"Now you owe me two questions." At first he didn't understand, but he quickly counted up the number he asked and growled in annoyance.

"Firstly, why do you break your wings?"

Time for plan B.

"It's a need really."

"A need for what?"

"Punishment."

Pinkie asked for an elaboration, but she'd already asked her two questions. Her childish pout gave a sense of victory, her calm was breaking, and if Sin could keep dodging and giving half answers, he'd end this in a draw. His next question was to why she acted like such a clutz and ditz. It was obvious, especially now, that she wasn't half as aloof as she presented herself. -At least from what Spike told him-

She offered a warm giggle and explained that her's was the element of laughter. She loved to make ponies smile and happy. Being serious and steadfast all the time didn't offer the same comedy and heart felt love that being silly and light heart-ed did. Made sense enough.

After a few more questions to dodge, Pinkie caught on to his strategy and let out another small sigh. "Can we not do this?" Well, there goes hope for a draw. "Why wont you just answer me outright?"

Sin gave another half answer and the two continued on, Sin's frustration slowly being dying, and Pinkies growing. He found it kind of amusing really, she was rather cute when she was flustered.


Mac was in tears laughing alongside Twilight and a masseuse mare. The drake had been telling the story of what his first encounter with Shade was like in Hooftrot.

"And so." Spike says trying to regain his breath. "Just as we think we're about to leave, BLAM! Shade just tackles him to the ground and says 'You lied about Fluffy'." His attempt at a dark Star Shade was actually pretty spot on. Still, that story never got old. "True story."

"Twilight giggled. "Wow, and that's quite a way to meet a new friend. Almost as bad as my first encounter with Pinkie Pie."

Spike scoffed. "That's nothing, you should have seen how Mac and him almost went at it." He pointed to the now curious stallion. "These two were about to rip each others throats out for the first few days."

Twilight looked over to him with curious eyes. "Hey noa," Mac said defensively. "He was gettin' on my las' nerve. N' Ah wasn't in tha bes' of moods that day."

That was true enough, As little time as he'd known Annabell, she'd been the first mare he'd ever expressed his feelings for. And she'd always hold a special place in his heart for that.

"Yea, yea." Spike waved a dismissive claw. "So Twilight, when do you think my wings'll grow in?"

"Can't say I know Spike." The lavender unicorn admitted. "There isn't much research on dragons."

"Why of course there is." The masseuse called stretching her forelegs. The Equestrians all looked on, eager to know what she was getting at. "Well, Triple M. has it's own dragon mount division, surely they must have a tone of information on them."

"Are you kidding me?" Twilight demanded in a mix of excitement and bewilderment.

"Not at all." The mare said before going back to work on Spikes tail. "In-fact, it's their publishing that let me know just how to relax your friend here." She hit just the right spot, and her patron gave a moan of pleasure and a thumbs up. Mac took a moment, he was recalling that Malich did want to use the Golvec, the dragon Triple M. had saved them from, as a personal mount.

Some how or another, the topic had drifted away from the corporation to Malich. It was clear this mare was one for gossip and drama, but perhaps something of relevance could be learned. If nothing else, her soft voice made for great entertainment.

The minutes flew as she talked about the many accomplishments under the Triple M. name: Unearthing tons of precious gems, protection from the "heathenish" Zebras, inconceivable leaps in the fields of medicine and herbology, and a grandiose of well timed and planned business ventures that Mac couldn't quite follow.

"It's to bad about his brother though." The mare complained, moving up her patrons back again. "After what happened, it's no wonder they put him in the insane asylum."

"His... brother?" Twilight asked, her interest more than apparent. The masseuse grinned mischievously and checked the door.

"Well, you didn't hear it from me, but word is that he went crazy after he'd become a Senator." She took a moment to bask in their eagerness for her to continue. "Poor guy was mentally-" She paused to find the right word," impaired, but had his heart set on becoming a politician, so his father and brother set it up so he'd win a seat."

Mentally impaired? That doesn't seem like a good choice of pony to represent for a country. This country was growing stranger than Mac thought.

"Aww, what happened to him?" Twilight asked.

"Well, apparently one of the Senators from Columbus, you know, the griffins? Was making fun of the poor boy, and he lashed out and started beating him senseless." The masseuse gossiped "He was kicked out and hadn't been heard from sense."

Mac furrowed his brow, picking a physical fight in the Senate? That sounded strangely familiar.

"Well, I suppose that just goes to show: The mentally challenged don't have a placed in politics."

"You said it sister," The mare agreed, "Now if only Gill O'Reily would get the memo..." The others trailed on, but Mac was to focused on what she said before.

No, no it couldn't be. Sin would have told him if he was kin to Malich, right? Then again, the stallion's secretive predisposition did anything but help his willingness to trust others. Was he hiding it intentionally? If so, why?

Bah, this mare was obviously a gossip whore, she's just trying to make dramatic small talk.

"... Oh what was his name?" Twlight asked.

"Islander I think."

THAT NAME! Ace said it too. No, no that was too much of a coincidence.

Mac looked over to the drake and found he too was in deep and skeptical thought. Had he heard the story as well? He'd make it a point to discuss it with the dragon the two were alone.


"Why are you being so mean?" Pinkie exclaimed in frustration. "This isn't like you!"

"And what, pray tell, do you think you know about me?" Sin deadpanned, just the thought that some one even thought they knew him, was insulting. "Maybe I'm not the nice pony you think I am."

His adversary merely shook her head solemnly. "If you weren't, you wouldn't have given those things to Twilight and Applejack to promise Spike and Mac would return home safely."

Sin stood silent for a moment. Ok, so he wasn't a complete bastard, that didn't make him any less capable of it. Matter of fact, this gave him a real question to ask. He admitted to his kind acts than shot Pinkie a curve ball. During most of their conversations, he was anything but welcoming to her. The nicest thing he'd done was give her a chocolate bar to help lift her spirits. But even that wasn't really for her exclusively, but to help keep the moral if the group up and make his job easier.

Pinkie pressed her lips together and listed all the times he'd helped Mac and Spike, even some how knew about the reason he watched over Shade. Truly he didn't give her enough credit. However, he melancholy finally came full circle. "I just wish you would trust me."

"Why should I? What have you done to earn it?"

Pinkie smiled, "I didn't spill the beans about Malich being your brother."

Wait, the others don't know? She didn't tell them about it? Well, considering they haven't been jumping down his throat on how he himself skipped over that little detail, perhaps she was telling the truth, but did that mean he could trust her. 'No, no focus you idiot! This is all part of her mind games.'

"No it's not."

"... I'm sorry?

"This isn't some kind of mind game." Pinkie said sternly, Sin took a step back.

'Did- Did she just read my mind?'

"Ya-huh!"

Lost for words, the stallion couldn't do anything but gawk. How did she do that? Was he finally going mad? There was no way that such a feet was possible, especially for an earth pony! No, he has to be losing it.

To his horror, Pinkie attempted to calm his non-verbalized fears. He had no privacy now, even in his own mind. He tried to turn the tables and motion that she'd, some how or another, invaded the sanctity of his mind. But even before he could speak; she called him out on the fact that it was mostly part of a plan on his part, only a small amount of it was him genuinely being offended or hurt.

No, no this was inconceivable. If she could see his thoughts, there was no way he could win. She'd be able to counter anything he threw at her, no there had to be something he could do to win. There had to be some strategy to beat her.

"Why do you see this as the two of us fighting?" Sin's stupor was broken and he cleared his mind before looking to the pony. "I don't want to hurt you-" She took a step forward. "I just want to help."

For each step the mare took forward, Sin took one back.

For the first time in a long time, he felt as though he'd bitten off more than he could chew. He let his pride get the better of him, and now he'd provoked something he wasn't expecting. If she could read minds, what else was this pony capable of? His thoughts weren't safe, his plans weren't safe, nothing was sacred now...

"Please stop." Pinkie whispered, tears visibly falling down her cheeks. 'what now?' "I- I didn't mean to make you scared of me, I just wanted to help you."

Sin stood stiff, he didn't dare think. He cleared his mind as much as he could, hoping that her power only reached to his immediate thought, and not into his memories.

The tension was palpable now. The party mare, or so her title said, stood with a concerned gaze. Sin, for his part, became a statue that could rival Discord's. His rational thought was cleared up, but something else had made it's presence known, something he'd spent years upon years trying to suppress.

A sudden jolt of Ice had sprung up his back, and he tried to repress what was coming, but between that and his thoughts, he didn't have enough energy nor mental fortitude to divide in his mind to keep both in check. But it was too late now, his emotions were beginning to show their ugly little heads.

His gaze found her eyes and he immediately looked away. Fear -of what Pinkie could do- was the most prevalent currently, Shame -for the way he treated her- was joyous enough to accompany it along with anger over the little control he had in the situation. He abandon holding back thought and began to sigh repeatedly, each deeper than the last.

It was a technique he began using to quell his feelings. Sometimes the stallion would waste hours upon hours for the ritual, but that was nothing compared to the utter chaos his emotions would send his mind into.

He was so flustered, he didn't even notice the fact that Pinkie was now directly infront of him. "Sin..." She called quietly lifting a hoof to his cheek, "are you ok?"

The moment her hoof made contact, the stallion snapped. He slapped her hoof away sprung his head forward snarling. Pinkie flinched and fell backwards. Slowly and deliberately, he leaned his head down to hers and growled "Don't. Fuck. With. Me."

Sin didn't care much what the mare's response would be, what he needed right now was to be alone. "Star Shade." He said calmly. "Please take Miss Pie back to the Spa." His tone left naught for debate and the, until recently passive, pegasus genly helped Pinkie to her hooves.and lead her away.

Pinkie looked "You can't keep doing this to yourself Sin!" She said quietly. "Trust me, I know."

Sin didn't respond, instead he turned away and began limping in the opposite direction.


Shade was surprised. He didn't expect the Pink one to be half as passionate as she was, and reading Sin's mind was an insanity all out of his league. Maybe he was right, maybe there was more to this one than met the eye.

"I just don't get him." Pinkie pouted.

"Yea, he can be a bit stubborn at times." Shade smirked.

The mare shook her head. "No, I don't get why he hurts himself like that. Nothing good will come from it."

Shade took the opertunity to ask a question that had been pestering him for a while. "Why do you care so much about him? For all he's done to you, I'd think you'da had nothing but hate for him by now."

Pinkie giggled. Some reason, that wasn't surprising. "Oh silly, I couldn't hate anypony." Odd, Shade did hate everypony, bunch of equine supremacist bastards! Didn't they know only cows can make milk? Wait what?

"But I can't really explain the reason I care about him so much." The mare admitted before smiling. "I guess I just find him interesting."

Interesting as a bowling pin maybe, Sin was a stick in the mud if Shade had ever seen one. Quite all the time, and who's bright idea was it to put a stick in some mud anyway? Was there a reason they did it? Were they simple or something?

"I wish I could explain it better, but I can't. And" She growled in frustration, "-He doesn't make it an easier! I just want to know what's wrong! Maybe I can do something er, something."

Shade contemplated. For all of his efforts, he'd only made Sin laugh once, and that was just recently. Sin was the only friend he considered he had, and dispite himself and his love of chaos and malice, Shade didn't like him suffering either. Perhaps the Pink one actually could help. Maybe?

"Because of his brother." He stated out of the blue. Pinkie looked at him confused. The pegasus began to recount the numerous times he'd heard Sin sleep talking. All consisted of: constant apologies to his brother, begging for ponies named "Ramis" and "Zell" to not be killed, and Demands that things should "progress the way they were supposed to" what ever that meant.

The thoughtful look on the pink pony's face made Shade chuckle a bit.

"What?" She asked innocently.

"It's just funny how infatuated you both are with each other. Yet when you two talk, nothing is ever learned." Pinkie furrowed her brow as if in thought, she looked back up to Shade and gave a nod before continuing on to the Spa.

'She's a good kid,' He thought as he trotted away in hopes of finding his supposed keeper. 'It's too bad I have to screw over Sin though. But hey, my god demands it, and by all things chaos; it is my duty to obey his whims... Hehe, duty.'

Author's Note:

It's a clusterfuck of a mess I know, bare with me now.

Aww, Sin's gone a little Emo. Yea, well I was meaning to have the "Pinkie Vs Sin" confrontation at some point, but I wasn't too sure how to make it end. So, I gave it to Pinkie because of her ungodly power to break the fourth wall. It's cheap and broken, but Sin's been on far too much a winning spree. I like the character, but he needed to be knocked from his pedestal.

And now I feel I'm focusing too much on the OC's. Perhaps it's time for a visit from some old friends. (And for me to stop writing for a bit. I feel the story might be suffering a bit due to my over zeal.)

P.S.

'I think Pinkie broke Sin.' ~Star Shade