• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 13,814 Views, 452 Comments

The Doctor and Derpy Play Minecraft - ConfusedBrony



Derpy causes the TARDIS to crash land in the universe of Minecraft. They are left stranded there with nothing but each other and a broken TARDIS.

  • ...
30
 452
 13,814

Chapter 1: The Muffin Button

Chapter 1: The Muffin Button


In the world of Minecraft, all was quiet, except for the occasional moo from that awkward cow. The skies were partly covered by blocky clouds and the sun was at its peak. The lake water was still; light would not reflect off its surface, leaving it looking as boring as ever. The silence was eventually broken by what sounded like an revving engine.

The image of a blue police box faded in and out. The image became more solid with each pulse. Eventually, the TARDIS finished materializing. A grey pegasus and a brown earth pony bursted out the front door. The pegasus was clutching the earth pony's neck tightly. Their eyes scanned their surroundings, but they were too confused and dazed to process any of the information.

The pegasus on the left gave a sigh of relief. "I can't believe we're aliv—"

The earth pony gasped suddenly, "Derpy! Don't... breathe."

"Why, Doctor?"

"The air might be toxic." The Doctor struggled to finish the sentence. His lungs were straining from the lack of breathing.

Derpy exhaled the potentially poisonous air sharply and backed slowly into the TARDIS. The Doctor closed the door on his way back into his ship. Inside, alarms and sirens were going off. A few lights were flickering and sparks were spewing from the TARDIS's control panel. The Doctor groaned after seeing that his favorite couch was on fire.

“Alright. Now that we're done crashing, Derpy, I want to ask you one question. What did you do?!” he shouted.

“I-I don’t know! I just pressed this button over here, then the TARDIS started getting all shaky and stuff.” Derpy pointed at an oddly shaped button.

“I thought I told you not to touch anything!” The Doctor facehooved several times.

Derpy stomped her hoof. “Hey! Don’t blame me! Why would you make the button look like a muffin if you knew I couldn't resist their delicious and moist goodness?”

“What?! That button does not look like a muf—" the Doctor took a step towards the button. "Well actually, it kind of does."

“See! I told you! Hmmph.” Derpy crossed her forelegs and turned her head away from the Doctor.

"Remind be to get that button replaced before this happens again." The Doctor poked the button a few times gently without actually pressing it. "I don't even remember this being here. Oh well, small problems aside, let's see where we've landed."

The Doctor examined a few screens attached to the TARDIS’s control panel. “Let’s see now... gas composition... hmm.” He tapped his chin with his hoof. "Seems close enough to Equestria's. Radiation levels, fine. Temperature, fine. Time of day, day. Weather, pleasant. Location...." The Doctor hit the side of the side of the monitor and read it again. "That's odd."

“What’s odd?” Derpy asked.

“This place doesn't seem to be marked anywhere on the map. Nonsense! It’s probably just a bug in the system." The Doctor shut off the monitor. "Let’s open the doors now, shall we?”

“Way ahead of you.” Derpy was already standing by the closed doors of the TARDIS. Upon opening them, ordinary sunlight was beaming against Derpy's now puzzled face. Her eyebrow was raised and she was scratching her head. “By the way, Doctor, this world seems kind of… off.”

The Doctor headed towards the door. “What do you mean by that?”

He stood beside Derpy and looked out the door. Just outside the doors, a pixelated cow was staring straight at the Doctor and Derpy. “Mooooo,” uttered the cow.

“Umm, Hi?" Derpy smiled awkwardly.

The cow blinked. “Moo.” Derpy didn't know what to do so she just stared back. The Doctor returned to the control panel, leaving Derpy alone with the pixelated cow.

The Doctor opened a few metal grates and inspected the internals of the TARDIS. After about a minute, he finished troubleshooting his ship. “I think I may have found our problem.”

“Please tell me now, because this cow is really creepy.”

“Come over here." Derpy trotted over and observed the monitor. The Doctor pointed at a red blip on the screen. “You see this red blip?” Derpy nodded her head. “That red blip represents where we are. Notice how it's inside this little blue sphere." The screen zoomed out, revealing the sphere. "Now, look at this.”

He zoomed out further on the screen; the blue sphere was now just a small speck on the screen. A larger green sphere was revealed. “This sphere is your universe and the walls of this sphere are its edges. The strange thing is that this universe is contained within your universe. That doesn't happen. Usually, every individual universe is parallel to one another. They’re called parallel for a reason; they don’t intersect. But this one.” The Doctor pointed at the smaller sphere, “For whatever reason, is inside this one,” he then pointed to the larger sphere. "You following?"

Derpy nodded with droopy eyes. "Yep."

"The point is, this universe is abstract in comparison to any other universe because it isn't a parallel universe. It’s some kind of… intersecting, universe, thingy. Bah, that’s a shoddy name. I’ll think of something later.” The Doctor turned his attention back to Derpy who was half asleep and drooling slightly. “Derpy?”

She snapped awake instantly. “Huh? Oh yeah, a universe like this is probably unstable and could collapse. If that happened, we'd die."

“You are absolutely right.” The Doctor smiled at her.

“Sooo… we should leave this place.”

“Exactly.”

“Right now.”

“That’s right.”

“Why aren't we doing it?”

“The TARDIS is broken,” he said flatly.

Derpy let out an exasperated breath. “Of course it is. Can you fix it?”

“Yep. Technically she’ll fix herself. That button you pressed used up a lot of energy, enough to tire out the ol’ machine. She just needs to take a break for a while, that’s all.” The Doctor patted the console of the TARDIS.

“How long will that be?” Derpy crossed her front legs.

“Anywhere from a week to a month. Earth time.”

“Oh." Derpy said bluntly. "I remember you once said that it was near impossible to travel between universes. How did we end up here then?”

“Either the walls between the universes are dissolving, or someone spilled soda into the time vortex.”

“Soda?” Derpy inquired.

“Yes, soda. It doesn't sit too well with the time vortex, and if I recall correctly, I may have spilled soda into the time vortex a couple years back. It just took this long to finally do something. Good thing we didn't die! I didn't expect the soda incident to catch up to me this quickly though. The huge energy boost from the button must have acted as a catalyst of some sort.” The Doctor headed back to the door and looked out of it. Derpy followed him. “You know, this universe doesn't seem so bad. We could probably take a look around.”

“Out we go then?” Derpy smiled with excitement. The Doctor nodded his head. The cow’s eyes followed them as they stepped outside the TARDIS. The Doctor took mental notes about how blocky the world was. He approached a tree and looked closely at it, observing the square edges and pixel like features. The Doctor knocked on the tree and listened closely to the sound it made. It sounded just like how any other tree would sound if one had knocked on it.

“Hmm...” He sniffed the tree, then stuck his tongue out.

He started to bring it closer and closer to the tree. “Doctor!” scolded Derpy. The stallion retracted his tongue back into his mouth and turned his attention to his companion. “Were you going to lick the tree?”

“Quiet down, Derpy. This takes concentration.” He brought his tongue back out and started bringing it closer to the tree again. He hesitated for a moment, and then tasted the tree. He recoiled backwards at the repulsive taste. “BLEH! It just tastes like any other tree!” The Doctor spat, trying to get the taste out of his mouth. “Bloody hell, it’s awful!”

Derpy rolled her eyes. “Of course it tastes awful. It’s a tree. What made you think that was a good idea?”

“It’s helped me once before.” The Doctor took a moment to spit again. “And I thought it would help me again.” He spat again at the end of his sentence.

“Riiiight. That reminds me. I kicked somepony once and that helped me. So, according to your logic, I should kick the tree?”

“Well uh,” the Doctor tried to find the right words to say, “I suppose that would mean kicking the tree is—" Derpy stood on her two front legs. "No, Derpy, wait!”

Before the Doctor could stop her, Derpy gave a powerful kick to the tree. There was a dull thud and a small crack formed in the tree.

The Doctor was suddenly intrigued. “Try that again, Derpy. That seemed to have done something.” Derpy gave another powerful buck. With a small thunk noise, the tree block seemed to have shrunk into a much smaller block. It floated in place momentarily before going inside of Derpy.

She shrieked in fear. “Doctor! It’s inside of me. Get it out, get it out, get it out!” Derpy ran aimlessly.

The Doctor’s hearts skipped a beat. “Don’t run, you’ll only make things worse for yourself! Come on, hold still, let me check you out!”

Derpy kept running, and the Doctor struggled to catch up to the panicking pony. Derpy looked back towards her rear, hoping to see the block leave her body. When she turned her head back, she smacked face first into a tree and fell back.

“Ouch, are you alright Derpy?”

She rubbed her forehead. “Owwww. Who put that tree there?” she said wearily.

The Doctor pulled out his sonic screwdriver and scanned her body. “There’s nothing inside. I don’t think the block, or whatever it was, actually went inside of you.”

Derpy tilted her head sideways. “You don’t? That’s a relief. I thought maybe I was going to turn into a tree, or it was gonna eat me inside out, or turn me into one of those Dalek thingies you always talk about.”

The Doctor facehoofed. “We should get some rest, the sun is setting.”

“Really? But it was afternoon like ten minutes ago.” Derpy looked up at the orange sky.

“Either way, let’s head back to the TARDIS. I don’t think I’ll trust this place at night.”

The light inside the ship escaped through the open doors, illuminating the area in front of it dimly. Derpy entered the TARDIS first. The Doctor glanced at the outside world once more, then retreated into the safety of the TARDIS. He shut the door behind him, shrouding the surrounding area in darkness once more.