• Published 24th Jun 2023
  • 1,812 Views, 85 Comments

You know what… No - Starlight Fan



In which Starlight does not respond so kindly to Starswirl’s opinion on reformed villains

  • ...
13
 85
 1,812

Doubts and Turmoil

Starlight laid on her bed deep in thought, tears silently streaming from her eyes. She knew she was no saint but she figured her friends would give her opinion the benefit of the doubt, especially with the Elements Of Harmony at sake, but of course, she was practically ignored in favor of Starswirl the Bearded.

When she thought back, the moment Starswirl had said “once a villain, always a villain”, no one bothered to speak up against that. None of her friends bothered to prove Starswirl wrong. Not Spike, not Fluttershy, not… her.

Why did she think that she ever had a chance? If Twilight was willing to let Starswirl say those type of things when she knew that Starlight has been redeeming herself, what chance did Starlight ever have at being…

No, she won’t even think about it. It was a foolish dream anyway. She should have known better than to feel that way about her and Twilight.

Suddenly she heard a knock at the door and tried her best to wipe her tears. Whoever it was, she refused to look weak in front of them.

Starlight opened the door and saw Twilight standing before her. There was an awkward silence between them, and both were aware of how much tension there was right now.

“What do you want?” Starlight sighed in frustration.

“I just wanted to let you know that the spell’s finished and we’ll be able to use it so we can banish the Pony Of Shadows or Stygian as you pointed out.” Twilight said, nervously rubbing the back of her head.

“Pfft, figures.” Starlight rolled her eyes in annoyance.

“Look Starlight, I get your upset about what happened earlier and I understand if Starswirl can… annoy you but not everypony can be saved.” Twilight told her friend solemnly.

“Not like you’re even gonna try.” Starlight pointed out bitterly.

“I know, but I’m sure Starswirl knows be-“ Twilight began before Starlight interrupted.

“What about the Tree Of Harmony? Whenever it calls us down, it’s for a friendship problem and I have no reason to believe this is an exception. Also, I’m guessing if Starswirl knows best, maybe his mindset about lack of reformation applies to me too huh?” Starlight spoke furiously as hot tears streamed down her face, much to Twilight’s shock and horror, why would Starlight think this? She’d never do that to her?

“Starlight, you know that’s not true.” Twilight spoke pleadingly, hating to see Starlight so upset. Twilight was being entirely honest here, Starlight meant everything to her and Twilight always knew there was good in her and she just needed Starlight to remember that.

“You didn’t seem to care when Starswirl said ‘once a villain, always a villain’. You of all ponies should know that’s not true, but I guess you didn’t care to correct him at all if it meant pleasing your idol.” Starlight kept a furious glare at the alicorn before she began letting tears slip and her expression changed to one of sadness.

“Maybe I should’ve seen this coming. Even after all our time together, we’re not as close as you and the rest of your friends. Today just helped me realize what I’ve been denying, we’re just average friends, not best friends or anything. Our friendship basically formed out of a business deal, yet for some reason I thought we could be more, I fell in love with you for Celestia’s sake!” Starlight let all of her pent up sadness out and let the tears fall. She didn’t even care to acknowledge Twilight’s shocked expression, she needed to let this all out.

“Yes, for some forsaken reason I fell for you, and you know what, I still have! I love you Twilight, but you probably don’t feel that way about me, and I’m fine with that…” Starlight said softly, wiping her tears, “It’s just hard for me to let the truth sink in, y’know.”

“Starlight-“ Twilight tried to speak before Starlight interrupted.

“Twilight, you don’t have to try and convince me that I’m more than just a casual roommate to you. I know the truth now.” Starlight sighed despondently before closing the door to her room.

Twilight couldn’t believe what she just heard, Starlight was in love with her? If Twilight was honest, she was feeling strange about Starlight for a while now. She couldn’t place it but all she knew is that whenever she was with Starlight, it felt really good and there was a certain charm to the unicorn she couldn’t figure out and Twilight wasn’t quite sure what it meant but after hearing Starlight’s confession, it became clearer now.

Twilight was in love with Starlight.

Once she realized this, she immediately flung open the door to Starlight’s room.

“I’m not trying to convince you of anything Starlight, I’m being honest with you. You’re a very special pony in my life, if it weren’t for you, we’d all be Changeling stock. I can’t imagine my life without you in it. You and I share common interests and you can always be a rock for me when I need it. Starlight, what I’m trying to say is… I love you too.” Twilight found herself confessing much to Starlight’s shock.

Starlight couldn’t believe what she just heard, Twilight really was in love with her? Such a confession would normally have her as happy as Pinkie Pie in one of her parties but all she felt was looming doubt. Twilight may say she loves her but could she trust that?

“I don’t know if I can believe that Twilight, I’m sorry.” Starlight began walking off and despite Twilight wanting to follow her, she couldn’t bare to do it. She had already done enough.

Twilight silently teared up as she watched Starlight leave, she loved Starlight and Starlight loved her, but now it was too late for her to realize both of those things. What could she do now?

She broke Starlight’s heart and she doubted it would be repaired so easily.

Author's Note:

Before anyone gets up in arms, Starlight may be right about what’s going on but her emotions are sort of clouding her judgement with her refusal to hear Twilight out.