• Published 24th Jun 2023
  • 1,812 Views, 85 Comments

You know what… No - Starlight Fan



In which Starlight does not respond so kindly to Starswirl’s opinion on reformed villains

  • ...
13
 85
 1,812

I’m Tired Of This Nonsense

Starlight was ticked off right now.

This wasn’t like the time where Trixie had ignorantly teleported the map table away from the castle or when Ember practically called her and Twilight clones of each other, this time she was really annoyed.

After the Pillars had been brought back to Equestria, they had to deal with the Pony Of Shadows. Their chosen method of dealing with the villain was to use the Elements Of Harmony to banish him back to limbo, but in doing so, they’d lose the Elements forever. Starlight had suggested that they’d try and see if they could reform the villain, seeing as Stygian did use to be a friend of the Pillars in the past but Starswirl had coldly dismissed her and said “once a villain, always a villain”. Worst part was Twilight hadn’t bothered to say anything.

Perhaps Twilight thought Starswirl meant nothing too seriously by it, but Starlight couldn’t help but feel that Twilight was somehow embarrassed by her.

Nonetheless, once she got more information on Stygian, she decided it wouldn’t hurt to try talking to Starswirl and Twilight again, they were at the library with Sunburst trying to perfect the spell to send Stygian to limbo. She decided to keep her anger to the side and try to be as civil as possible.

“That looks like a lot of work.” Starlight said in shock.

“It is what must be done.” Starswirl told the unicorn dismissively before waving an uncaring hoof to the side, “And it would be best if we were not disturbed.”

Starlight silently took offense to that dismissal but made sure to keep herself calm, this wouldn’t go anywhere if she lashed out.

“I'm sorry, Starlight, but we can't stop to talk. The stakes are too high, and we have to-“ Twilight said as she levitated a book at her side so she could address her friend.

“Banish Stygian to limbo. I get it.” Starlight said in an annoyed tone.

“Uh… who?” Sunburst asked, clearly confused.

“Stygian was the name the Pony of Shadows gave up when he turned to darkness.” Starswirl explained briefly as he went back to reading.

“But I’m just trying to figure out why.” Starlight said.

“Envy!” Starswirl closed his book angrily as he got up in Starlight’s face, “He wanted more power than he had, and that desire led him down a path from which there is no return! Of course, you obviously wouldn’t understand that.”

Normally Starlight would have just let that remark go and move on, but this was the second time that Starswirl had coldly disrespected her. She prevented herself from forming an anger cloud, she didn’t want a repeat of the bottle incident after all but he let Starswirl’s words sink in and soon she realized… she wasn’t the only one who reformed before.

“You act as if you know everything.” Starlight rolled her eyes with a scoff causing Starswirl to glare at the unicorn.

“What are you suggesting?” The wizard narrowed his eyes.

“Starlight…” Twilight spoke softly, whether it was worry or embarrassment Starlight did not know but she wasn’t backing down. Not this time.

“I’m just saying, considering you were banished from Equestria for a thousand years, you might think to value the opinions of ponies from this timeline instead of only listening to yourself.” Starlight continued while keeping her face as stony as possible, she was very annoyed but she refused to lash out and make herself look bad.

“Please. How could Equestria possibly be different from my time?” Starswirl rolled his eyes but Starlight caught the hesitation in them.

“Well if you haven’t noticed, many creatures have improved from being able to seek redemption in their lives. We gained the Changelings as valuable allies, got the Lord Of Chaos to accept friendship and harmony while still having a bit of space to be mischievous, and even your student Luna went through a time where she fell to the dark side and she wouldn’t have been able to continue living her life if she wasn’t offered a chance to redeem herself.” Starlight began ranting while keeping her temper in check as she took in the shocked look in Starswirl’s face.

“Oh but let me guess, if you were around you would have banished her without a second thought about saving her. I’m not saying Stygian will reform but it’s better to try and help your friends than to abandon all hope entirely.” Starlight finished off her rant before walking away from Starswirl and up to Twilight. This wasn’t as easy as speaking to Starswirl but after what was displayed today, Starlight knew she wouldn’t gain anything if she didn’t make her feelings known.

“Oh yeah, I guess I’m lucky that your idol wasn’t around when you decided to be my friend, maybe I would’ve been banished to limbo too.” Starlight said to the alicorn, but this time she had a tearful gaze instead of anger which Twilight noticed and tried to extend a hoof to Starlight but Starlight teleported away before she could do anything, leaving Twilight and Starswirl with shocked looks on their faces.

“Wow… I’ve never seen Starlight this driven before.” Sunburst gasped in shock, to which Twilight had to agree but she also has never seen Starlight this upset before.

“So what should we do now?” Sunburst asked curiously to his magically gifted companions.

“W-We should work on finalizing the spell first. We are almost finished with it and we must have it ready.” Starswirl told his two fans.

“But what about Star-“ Twilight began speaking in concern before Starswirl shut her down.

“Forget about her right now. Just focus at the task at hoof.” Starswirl narrows his gaze at the alicorn who sighed forlornly as she continued to search through her book.

Little did Starswirl and Twilight know is that Starlight’s words had affected their feelings on banishing the Pony Of Shadows more than they both thought they did, whether it be their own thoughts or each others’, but Twilight certainly knew that after finalizing the spell, she needed to talk with her former pupil.

Author's Note:

This will get interesting as we go on. This isn’t over guys.