• Published 8th Jun 2023
  • 260 Views, 2 Comments

Art Makes the World go 'Round! - Love And What Came After



Misty is tired of being incompetent at villainy, so she seeks tutoring from a professional, artsy delinquent to learn how to be properly sneaky.

  • ...
0
 2
 260

Round and Round

Whisper succumbed to Sneaksy's goading and reluctantly shook the spray paint she had been provided. The yellow, purple and blue coating encircling the can's exterior failed to represent what color the paint within truly was. "But how do you tell what color is inside? They're all the same."

"I remember! That one's blueberry, this is spring green, this is royal purple and this is gold!" Sneaksy levitated three paint cans simultaneously, presenting them.

"R - right... So, this one's blue?" Whisper transferred the can to her mouth and prepared to spray.

"Wait!" Sneaksy waved her hooves dramatically. "You didn't shake it enough!"

"Wike whtis?" Whisper bobbed her head up and down repeatedly until the pea within the can clattered against the metal walls, generating a satisfying sound as it thoroughly mixed the paint.

"Exactly! Proceed properly painting your pony, protégé! Or whatever you're actually going to make."

Whisper froze, then transferred the can to her hoof. "What I'm going to... make...?"

"Yeah! Art doesn't create itself, silly." Sneaksy balanced on her hind legs and motioned to the brick wall with both forelegs. "This is your canvass, a great, barren expanse unto which you shall produce your masterpiece. Mold your wet clay into a beautiful vase! Or a pot or cup or something."

"I don't think I'm good at molding."

Sneaksy waved her hoof dismissively. "Pssffhh! As if! Art is for everypony. Anypony has the ability to create. It's in you! You just have to reach inside your heart and feel it."

"I think you're selling my abilities a little too much." Whisper gazed thoughtfully at the can of spray paint, then raised her head, considering the blank brick wall.

Sneaksy tapped her hooves together excitedly as she observed from the sidelines. "That's it! You're envisioning, aren't you? You're envisioning!"

"I, umm... I think so." She transferred the can to her mouth and depressed the nozzle, hesitantly drawing a blue stripe. Then, with further motivation from Sneaksy, another. A long rectangle, a pair of ovoid shapes and two circles. Another pair. Thin curls. Misshapen hearts. When the outline was finished, she used purple to trace the lines and added a splash of extravagant yellow and vivid ruby red. In her intense focus, a strand of her mane fell before her eyes, yet she neglected to notice.

Sneaksy tilted her head to the side, appreciating the art from an alternative angle. "Oh!"

Whisper delicately deposited the spray paint onto the ground alongside the other cans. "I know it's not much..."

"I love it! It's so you!"

"But it's just a butterfly. It doesn't even look that good. I tried to make it look like its flying, but the body turned out to be so flat..." Whisper motioned to the mural she had created. The bright red hearts adorning the butterfly's gorgeous purple wings weren't symmetrical. Its yellow antennae were crooked.

"You created something original that came from your heart! That takes courage! I'm proud of you." Sneaksy pointed in Whisper's general direction in what initially appeared to be a vague, unassuming way. "It looks just like your fake cutiemark."

"M - my what?!" Whisper's spine constricted and the hair along her back straightened in horror.

"Art is for everypony, Misty. Even ponies like you who are too afraid to express themselves." Sneaksy used her levitation magic to remove her rainbow respirator, revealing a beaming smile that had been concealed beneath. "I can see you smizing! Don't deny it, you had fun!"

Whisper delicately touched her masquerade piece. "Y - you knew... all along?"

"I'd recognize one of my best friends anywhere. It's okay, I won't reveal your secret identity if you really don't want me to. When you're on the dance floor, nopony knows it's you—everypony will think Maretime Bay has a new secret street artist!"

Whisper giggled nervously. When she finally removed her masquerade mask, she tucked it into one of the pockets of her cloak and hung her head awkwardly.

"Hey, Misty? Art makes the world go 'round, but friends like you make my world go 'round and 'round." Izzy lowered the hood of her cape and smiled tenderly.

Misty shuffled closer. Of course, she could sense what, inevitably, was coming. When it eventually did arrive, though, she wasn't as prepared as was necessary. Izzy tackled her and squeezed her tightly in a hug, eliciting a squeak from her.

When they separated, Misty lowered her hood. "Can we, um... do this again? Soon?"

"You're smizing again~!" Izzy grinned, raising her eyebrows.

Misty blushed, a ghost of a smile gracing her lips. "Maybe you could teach me the basics of spray painting sometime so it doesn't look so amateur?"

"Right! Square one!"

Comments ( 2 )

Yay! This was a good story, and you did a solid job of keeping Misty true to herself.

"You created something original that came from your heart! That takes courage! I'm proud of you." Sneaksy pointed in Whisper's general direction in what initially appeared to be a vague, unassuming way. "It looks just like your fake cutiemark."

ooh burn!

Login or register to comment