• Published 10th May 2023
  • 119 Views, 1 Comments

My Nation Lives On - Sir Merrick



Prince Blueblood, Marshal of Equestria faces reality as war comes to Equestria's door, volunteers are called for.

  • ...
 1
 119

Storm Clouds Gather

“I have been clear, I will be clear again. Not for days, not for months, but for years I warned you of the problems we would face. Years. I faced committees, I faced the upper and lower houses. All of you laughed me out of the room, saying Equestria has no need to wage war. Not one of you took these problems seriously. Not until your sons and daughters were reduced to a dog tag and letter of deceased to remember them by. Then what did you do? You called me a butcher and did nothing yet again.”
-Field Marshal Blue Blood, Equestrian Military Ethics Tribunal.

Field Marshal Blue Blood looked at the report on his desk. He began reading it over a second time simply to ensure he didn’t miss a detail. The report began, explaining the Changeling Empire’s estimated army size. An Estimated 75 Divisions, over 20,000 estimated officers, and almost 3 million changelings enlisted, along with 500 thousand personnel serving the Changeling air force, which boasted an estimated 5,000 aircraft of varying marks.

Blue Blood sternly continued reading the report, as it moved on to the estimated changeling industry, a frightening estimate to say the very least. The final part of the report explained the changeling model of warfare, based on information passed on by Olenian spies from supposed Olenian Officers.

The report described a devastating use of Air assets, followed by rapid movement of tanks and mechanized vehicles, followed by occupying infantry, before finally encircling and defeating Olenian assets. It was a model repeated a dozen times. The Olenian’s had dubbed it Blitzkrieg, though reports varied as to what the changelings themselves called it. Blue Blood then turned the page on the Equestrian report.

As he began reading gaze hardened, the report beginning by describing the start of the Equestrian Army’s current model and numbers. At the start of 1009, when Blue Blood had first sent out for this survey, the Equestrian Army was made up of seven Royal Guard divisions, mostly parade soldiers back then, two One Hooves divisions somewhat hardened by the Buffalo wars of 1008, nine reserve divisions, mostly for basic garrison and peacekeeping duties, and two royal armor divisions, made up of mostly dated tanks. This came out to a total of 100,700 ponies fielded.

The next section went over the expansion of the Equestria Army, and innovations. All divisions were allotted support equipment, and given training to use it for engineering and reconnaissance. All divisions were updated with a minimum of a support company of artillery. One Hoove divisions were updated to be 10 thousand ponies organized with a support company of artillery and field anti tank guns, as well as two battalions of Artillery. All garrison divisions were updated to Onehooves divisions, along with 30 additional one hooves divisions being raised over the last three years, and 10 more in training as of last month.

The final two innovations made to the Equestrian army model were the disbanding of the Pegasi divisions, merging them into the Royal Armor divisions, and raising 8 additional Royal Armor divisions, as well as updating the Royal Armor tank model to a medium tank.

The Light Tank Division was developed with rapid support and care in mind, being composed entirely of non pegasi soldiers. Compensation for the lack of mobility, the motorized battalion was transferred to this purpose. Made up of 3 light tank battalions, 4 motorized infantry battalions, a motorized artillery battalion, and a motorized anti-tank gun battalion. Additionally they would provide motorized reconnaissance, and field hospitals for the majority of forces on the fronts. 10 of these Light Tank Divisions had been formed, made up of 9,000 ponies each. The total Equestrian Army had been boosted to 677,500 ponies.

Blue Blood moved on to the naval forces. Equestria had gone from two carriers to six, six battleships to nine, three battlecruisers to twelve, seven heavy cruisers to fourteen, 23 light cruisers to 35, and 56 destroyers to 70. Aboard each carrier were 20 carrier fighters, 15 naval bombers, and 5 strategic bombers of a carrier mark, for a total of 240 naval planes. At least the government was taking naval efforts seriously.

Lastly he moved onto the airforce, finding that relievingly, they had abandoned the biplane Gelding Gladiators, for monoplane fighters, CAS, and Strategic Bombers. At the start of 1008, Equestria had fielded 305 biplane fighters, and 40 early monoplane tactical bombers. The Equestrian air force over the last three years had phased out all biplane models, and mustered 1,200 fighters, 600 CAS, and 200 Strategic Bombers, totaling 2,000 aircraft mustered. The air force could at least put up a fight, he noted.

The next page explained the Crystal Empire forces, Blue Blood reading them off as well. For being a medieval kingdom brought to the modern world they had done quite well, industrializing over the last three years, stamping out the Sombra conspiracy, and embracing Blue Blood’s recommended army model. Fielding 25 One Hooves Divisions, 8 Royal Armor Divisions, and 10 Light Tank divisions, and fielding 800 fighters, 400 CAS and 300 Strategic Bombers. The Crystal army brought to bear 404,000 ponies and 1,500 planes. For once during this report Blue Blood Smiled.

The final page went over the industrial capacity of Equestria’s mostly civilian focused economy. To call it that even was generous though. Equestria focused most of its industry within cities, and the largely rural communities of Equestria found themselves vastly underutilized.

Equestria could feed itself certainly, but to keep the army fed and the army ready were two important but different subjects. Over the last three years, extensive efforts had been made surveying, exploiting resources, and expanding vital industries, predominantly oil, aluminum, and rubber. Equestria had also made several broad investments across the country to invest in industry, leading to a somewhat more prepared Equestria.

Blue Blood finished reading the report and looked to his aid, speaking gruffly. “It is as I feared Lieutenant. Equestria even after three years of concerted effort is still vastly unprepared for conflict. Worse yet, with the Olenian’s being made puppets to the Queen, I don’t think it will be very long at all before we’re up next for their conquests.”

Second Lieutenant Blue Bolt was a young pegasi volunteer who had been given officer training due to his educated background. He was fit, and had seemingly expected to be assigned to a frontline unit. He had initially been disappointed with his current assignment, though Blue Blood had noted he grew and adapted to the role effectively. The Lieutenant composed himself to speak after a brief moment. “I see sir. Shall I call for a meeting with the joint houses, to present these findings to the government and public as a whole?”

Blue Blood looked to his aid for a few moments before smiling and shaking his head. “No, not at all. I’m done dealing with career politicians who’ll never hold a rifle. Get me a meeting with either of the Princess’s, Preferably both. Don’t come back until it’s secured, and not a word of this to anyone else. Understood?”

If Blue Bolt had been taken aback or startled he certainly didn’t show it, instead raising a hoof in salute and nodding. “Yes sir, right away.” The pegasi then trotted off to secure the meeting. Blue Blood hoped it wouldn’t take too long, but who knew, the politicians loved wasting time after all, he knew that much at least…

Blue Blood jolted up from his bed when he received a knock on his room at around midnight. Quickly rousing, dressed in nothing truthfully, he blinked and opened the door, finding his aid with bags under his eyes stood outside his door. Blue Blood stood himself up, looking at the young pegasi. “Well?”

Blue Bolt sighed and weakly saluted, “Sir, the Princesses will see you, however the meeting is in 30 minutes, in the war hall. I came as fast as I could, but it’s now 20 minutes. Do you need help getting dressed?”

Blue Blood scowled but shook his head. “Damn it all, no I’ll be fine, go get some sleep lieutenant. I’ll handle it from here.” Blue Blood closed the door and rapidly put on his uniform, letting it be somewhat crumpled against his form in his rush, before he donned his cap, and looked at himself one last time in the mirror, before he rushed out his door and headed for the seldom used war hall. He arrived, and if the clock was right some five minutes before the meeting, as he entered inside Luna was there sat at one of the side tables. She gestured for Blue to take the Warmaster chair, which gave Blue Blood pause, as that had traditionally been Luna’s role. Whatever the case he would take the seat after a few minutes, supposing his role as Field Marshal granted him the privilege.

Blue Blood settled and looked to Luna, “Will I be giving this report solely to you or?” Blue Blood blinked as he heard a teleportation spell go off, and beside Luna was Celestia, taking a seat at the same side table.

Luna continued to look stoic, but spoke first, “My sister and I have come to the conclusion this matter should be heard by the both of us, and should it be deemed necessary, to Princess Twilight Sparkle and Cadance as well. After Celestia says her peace you may begin field marshal.” Luna was a regal pony of dark blue fur and a flowing mane like the night sky. She held herself stoically, and seemed to be the most awake of the two princesses.

Celestia smiled briefly to Blue Blood before replying, her rainbow mane and white coat giving her a more divine appearance than her sister, though it was hard to not see Luna in the same way as all saw Celestia. “Field Marshal Blue Blood, it is good to see you again. Your aid said that you had extremely urgent news to report. I took his request with great surety that it would be so, despite the protest of my secretary. I hope this meeting proves insightful.”

Blue Blood nodded, taking comfort in Celestia’s words, and the faith that the two of them vested in him to meet so late at night. Either way he set out to begin, taking the report out and sliding it over to the two of them before beginning, “For your eyes. Only myself and my aid have read through this report. I worked with Princess Twilight Sparkle to get this report compiled. You may read through it whenever. Feel free to ask any questions. I will do my best to provide insights. Now then, let us begin.”

Blue Blood would begin with the changeling side of the report, the vast army they had raised, and the rapid conquest of Olenia, Luna looking sternly at Blue Blood as he began telling them of the report. He would move on to the state of the Equestrian and Crystal armies as of 1008, and the rapid expansion they had gone through, citing however they still barely fielded a third of the changeling army and airforce. He continued citing the only field they had stayed competitive in was in the Navy. Finally he concluded the report, going over the Industrial failings of 1008, and the basic improvements made over the last three years, though Blue Blood stressed more direct action needed to be made were they to win a war with the Changeling Empire.

“In conclusion, despite the great gains made, there still needs to be several developments made, and a wartime economy established. If we do not, we will face losses and disasters beyond count.” Blue Blood looked over the two Princesses, Luna having developed a frown, and Celestia being wide eyed several times throughout the presentation.

Luna would be the first to speak, “We will keep all these details in mind, Field Marshal. I believe there is little we can do, circumventing the civilian government would likely cause more issues than solve, and doubly so if we began militarizing. However Celestia and I have discussed such possibilities.”

Celestia had swiftly composed herself by this point and nodded with her sister’s statement, “Yes Field Marshal, what we need is for the war to arrive on our doorstep. At that point there will be no choice but to implement these changes. We simply must ask, does the Equestian army at this point stand to last at least a year? If it is unable to, we will do the best we can to bolster you, however if things are so dire, we may have to look to other solutions as well.”

Blue Blood nodded considering before arriving at his conclusion, “The Equestrian Army could stand at least six months at this point. If a reserve program was established, and I could draw upon more forces to replace losses, my estimates would vary between Equestria being able to stand its ground for at least a year and a half. Ideally with such a program, I could last two years. That would of course require some form of limited conscription however. Is this a possibility?”

The sisters both look to each other before nodding resolutely and Celestia speaking up, “I shall draft a bill introducing a form of limited conscription. Cadence should be able to drum up support for such as well in the Crystal Empire. Should the issue be forced, Luna is willing to push for the bill by royal decree. It will be done whether the Upper and Lower houses support it or not.”

Blue Blood nods and offers a salute, “Thank you Princesses. I shall not fail. No matter what you will have the time you need to secure support for the government. Until then, I will make every preparation I can. I can agree to this meeting being adjourned if your graces will allow me to decree such?”

Luna nods rather plainly, “Yes this meeting is dismissed, thank you for your time Field Marshal. I know greatly of the weight of duty, so I will hope you are up to the task. Many will die, but it is a sacrifice Equestria must accept as it once did in ages past.”

Blue Blood eased his salute, and awaited, the two princesses shortly vanishing in puffs of magic, leaving Blue Blood alone, as he decided to depart back to his quarters to begin writing letters. He had a lot to write after all.

Comments ( 1 )

EAW stories are always a treat, and this one is looking very nice indeed.

Blue Blood sees the writing on the wall, and dear Daisy is a bit too eager to help her nation out...

Eagerly awaiting more!

Login or register to comment