• Published 10th May 2023
  • 1,891 Views, 337 Comments

Analemma, or A Year in the Sunlight - Dubs Rewatcher



The first year of Sunset and Twilight’s relationship, told in real time through vignettes, text messages, snippets, and more.

  • ...
9
 337
 1,891

THURSDAY, JULY 6, 1:02 PM

✽ PART TWO: SUMMER ✽


I love girls. Short girls, tall girls, fat girls, skinny girls. Love ‘em all.

And you know what I love more than girls? Girls in swimsuits.

That’s why I’m standing at the edge of the Canterlot Beach boardwalk, staring out at a beach full of skimpy bikinis. An ocean of skin tight fabric, an expanse of barely hidden tan lines. And don’t even get me started on the hot moms.

Not that the guys aren’t cute too! But there’s something about watching a girl spread sunscreen on her best friend’s back that makes me want to scream like I’m at a hockey game.

I used to feel like a creep for leering at sexy women like this. But if I were really a creep, would I be feeling any guilt in the first place? I don’t think so. And besides, it’s not like any of them will ever know. I’d rather bury myself in the sand than shoot my shot with one of these girls. I’m even wearing sunglasses, so no one can tell where I’m looking.

I’ve got all my bases covered. So I reserve the right to fantasize about some thick bikini babe pulling me into a changing room and—

“How froze it, Sunset?” Pinkie Pie asks, materializing next to me. The bikini babe in my head runs away.

The people standing near us jump at her sudden appearance. I just smile and turn to her, tearing my eyes away from the beach.

“Get it?” she asks, handing me the frozen grape slushie I ordered. She grins and leans in close. “Froze? Like ‘goes?’”

I chuckle and sip my slushie. “That’s a cool pun!”

“You think so? Thanks, I—” Pinkie stops, stares, and then gasps. “Oh my gosh! I get it!”

The wide-eyed awe on her face makes me laugh louder than the pun. And as usual, my laughter makes her start laughing, which makes me laugh harder, which makes her laugh harder, until we’re both gasping for breath.

There’s nothing that gets me to laugh faster than someone else laughing. I fully believe that laughter is contagious — and that Pinkie Pie's laugh is some kind of Pavlovian giggle-bomb.

“Thanks again for coming,” I say, rubbing the tears from my eyes. “Twilight texted me while you were gone — she and Timber are just a few minutes away.”

Pinkie nods and takes a big drink of her slushie. When she pulls it away from her mouth, she’s got a strawberry ice mustache. “Those crazy kids,” she says, shaking her head. “So busy smooching that they missed out on Slushie Time.”

The thought of Twi and Timber sucking face makes me shudder a bit. But I brush it off and turn up my nose. “Absolutely shameful,” I say in my best Fancy Person impression, which mostly just sounds like Rarity But Stoned. “Truly, what is happening to today’s youth?”

Pinkie somehow twirls her slush-tache. “I blame rock music.”

“Especially those ‘Rainboom’ girls. An absolute blight on our society.”

We clink our slushies, take a gulp, and then choke with giggles.

“For realsies though, I’m so excited!” Pinkie says, vibrating in place. “There’s so much I wanna do today! We gotta hit the beach, of course. But I wanna check out the sand dunes, too! And down by the pier, there’s a dude who sells fried raw cookie dough! It’s got the sweet flavor of salmonella with the savory taste of heart disease!”

Pinkie keeps talking, listing off every single activity within three square miles of us. It’s the second week of summer, and the Canterlot Beach boardwalk is finally open for the season. That means carnival games, rides, overpriced food — the works. The rest of the girls were busy, but Pinkie jumped at the chance to tag along with me.

Yet no matter how hard I try, I can’t pay attention to what she’s saying. The swimsuit she’s wearing is super tight, and my primate mind won’t stop looking down at her boobs.

Again, I swear I’m not a creep. And again, I’d never try hitting on her. But I’d be lying if I said that Pinkie isn’t hot as hell, especially in a tiny one-piece like this. She’s got curves for days, and when she runs, I have no idea how her swimsuit doesn’t rip apart.

I’m not having any fantasies about her! Absolutely not. But she has to be wearing a swimsuit this small on purpose, right? She definitely knows how cute she is.

“What about you?” Pinkie asks.

That hits me harder than the brain freeze. “What’d you say?”

“I asked what you wanna do today,” she says. She’s got an innocent smile, but then she looks out at the beach full of women, and it twists into a devilish smirk. “I bet I can guess!”

Keeping my eyes locked firmly on her face, I open my mouth to answer — but then she jumps towards me, moving close enough to press her body against mine.

“I know what you are,” she hisses, eyes slicing into me like scissors.

I blink, blink, blink. I swear our eyelashes are touching. “Gay?”

She keeps her glare for a moment more — then backs up, beams, and says, “Yep! And honestly? Mood.” Then she downs the rest of her slushie in one gulp.

“Talkin’ about moods, dudes?”

We both turn to see Twilight and Timber walking towards us. Timber’s wearing plain swim trunks and a tank top, but Twilight’s swallowed up in a green Hoofington High sweatshirt that’s so big it almost touches her knees — his, no doubt. She’s carrying a stuffed lion in her arms, cradling it like a baby. I don’t see her amulet, but her face is slathered with a thick layer of sunscreen.

“Er, dudettes,” Timber says, waving. “If you prefer.”

“I prefer Cutie Patootie,” Pinkie says, hand on heart.

I put my hands on my hips. “Sunset’s fine,” I say before realizing I totally look and sound like a bitch.

Timber doesn’t seem phased by my passive-aggression. “Hm. Talking about moodies and moodets, Cutie Patootie and Sunset?”

That only gets a smile out of me, but then Twilight bursts out snort-laughing and I can’t stop myself from chuckling either. Twi might be better at that than Pinkie is.

“Sorry we’re late,” Twilight says. “We were on our way over, but then Timber noticed a target practice game and just had to give it a go.”

“What can I say?” He wraps an arm around her. “It was calling to me.”

“Look at the stuffie he won me!” She holds the lion up for us to see. “His name is Leonardo.”

“Yeah, I’ve got pretty good aim,” he says, checking his nails. But then he smiles at her. “Of course, I probably would've wasted all my tickets if Twi hadn’t calculated the exact speed of every target while we were still in line.”

“You’ve got your strengths and I’ve got mine.” She hugs her lion tight. “We’re the Brains and the Brawn!”

“The Brawn... Sounds like a damn good wrestling name!”

Twilight giggles and looks up into his eyes. “Kiss?”

“You know it,” he says, and presses his lips to hers.

Holy shit these two are disgustingly sweet. I don’t know whether to coo or puke into the nearest garbage can.

“D’aww!” Pinkie says, literal stars sparkling in her eyes. “You two are so cuuuuuuuuuute!”

As if they just remembered they’re in public, their eyes snap open and they move apart. Timber’s grinning like a fool, and Twilight’s playing with her hair. I guess even when she’s making out with the dude of her dreams, Twi is still Twi.

“Don’t worry, you’re barely late,” I say, offering her a smile. “And besides, you’re the couple here — you should get to set the schedule. Pinks and I are just third-wheeling you.”

“There’s two of you, though,” Timber says. “So really you’re more like third and fourth wheels. And it’s basically just a normal car at that point.”

Huh. “Good point,” I say.

“It’s like a double date!” Pinkie says, pulling me as close as the real couple are. “Except Sunset and I don’t kiss. We just hug. Hard.”

I bet Twilight would like to hug Timber pretty hard too.

…Nope, no, erasing that thought from my head immediately.

Twilight shakes her head. “I don’t think Timber and I need any special scheduling privileges. I’ve got some ideas, but what do you want to do first?”

Pinkie turns to me and wiggles her eyebrows. I ignore her.

“I wanna check out the arcade,” I say, pointing towards the pier. “I heard they’ve still got an old Death Dance 2 machine from the ‘90s.”

Death Dance?” Timber repeats, frowning. “Isn’t that the game Twilight beats my ass in every week?”

“Oh hush,” Twilight says, waving away his words. “You won a match last night.”

“You let Spike move the joystick for you!”

“Are you sure about that?” Twilight asks. Then she takes off her glasses, closes one of her eyes, and in a low, gravelly voice says, “Coulda been them aliens!”

Timber doubles over with laughter. Pinkie and I just stare.

Twilight puts her glasses back on. “Sorry. Inside joke.”

Pinkie throws her arms out wide. “I love inside jokes!”

I nudge her. “I bet you’d love to live inside a joke.”

“You’d win that bet,” Pinkie says, shooting me a thumbs up. Then she extends her index finger and aims a finger pistol around. “I wanna play one of those games where you shoot zombies with the cool plastic gun!” She points the invisible gun my way. “Wanna be my partner?”

“You know it,” I say, and we high-five.

By now Timber has started to recover, and he smirks. “Now that’s a game I could beat you all in.”

I want to laugh — Seriously? He thinks he can beat me in a shooting game? — but before I can finish the thought Pinkie leaps forward and gives him a glare. “I’d like to see you try, Tree Boy.”

Timber looks shocked, even scared by her sudden transformation — but soon returns with a steel-eyed look of his own. “You’re on… Party. Girl. Party Girl.”

“I told you,” Pinkie says, turning up her nose and walking past him, “the name is Cutie Patootie!”

She starts down the boardwalk to the arcade by the pier. Timber runs after her, trying to come up with more things that rhyme with Patootie. That leaves Twilight and I to walk along together.

She draws close to me, her thick sweatshirt brushing against my arm. “He’s right,” she says, “I do beat him in Death Dance a lot. Is that bad?”

“He doesn’t seem too beat up about it. No pun intended.” I tug at her baggy sleeve. “Still lovey-dovey enough to give you his big-ass sweatshirt. You got a swimsuit on under there?”

Twilight rolls her eyes. “Yes, of course. I just burn easily.” She smiles up at me. “I love the new bikini, by the way. You look really good.”

My face heats up at that comment. I’d almost forgotten about the new two-piece I’ve got on — a tiny red-and-white number that I picked up from the mall last week — but now I’m hyper aware of how the top straps dig into me, how my stomach spills out over the bottoms. Of each perfectly shaped girl we walk past. I want to take the compliment, but it bounces off of me and dies in the sand.

“Thanks,” I make myself say. I shrug and keep looking straight forward. “Hard to compare with some of the supermodels around here.”

“You’re plenty super,” Twilight says with a scoff.

“But am I a model?”

“Yes, technically. We model for Rarity all the time.”

“Come on.” I roll my eyes. “I could be a dead rat and Rarity would still insist on sewing dresses for me.”

“And you’d look hot then too!”

There are so many things wrong with that statement. I could spend an hour just picking apart the claim that I’m hot. But instead I smirk. “You’re hotter.”

She grins. “No, you!”

“You’re hotter than the sun.”

“Well, you’re hotter than star WR 102, which at approximately 210,000 degrees Kelvin — or around 377,500 degrees Fahrenheit — is the hottest object ever observed in our universe.” She pauses. “Except for you. Because you’re hotter.”

My jaw falls loose. “I think you just fuckin’ owned me.”

“Good.” She speeds up a bit, head held high. “And once we get into a Death Dance match together, I’ll do it again.”


Timber wasn’t lying; he sucks at this game. Forget quarter circles, the dude barely knows how to pull off a basic combo. He just mashes every button and hopes for the best. I’m not even sure he has his eyes open.

But he’s laughing as he loses. He doesn’t rage (like I do) when Twilight catches him in one of those stupid-ass infinite combos Death Dance 2 is infested with. Hell, he even cheers when she wins. And when he saw that the character Brawlsome wears a green beanie just like he does, I swear to Celestia I heard him squeal. So maybe he’s not a complete tool. Maybe.

Look, I want to like Timber. Really. And when I slow down and actually think about it, I know that he’s not a bad guy — he might even be cool, in some dorky way.

But Twi is my best friend. So it’s my job to be suspicious of anyone and everyone she dates, cool or not. When it comes to being Twilight’s boyfriend, my standards are even higher than hers.

And to be fair, Pinkie isn’t good at the game either. But she doesn’t even play video games, unless you count those bland tile-matching mobile games that she sinks all her allowance into. Which I don’t, because I’m a gatekeeping girlboss. Deal with it.

Still, she’s having fun too. I do wish that she wasn’t so rough with the arcade machine, though.

For the third time this match, Twilight catches her with one of Godessa’s special moves — the Thrusting Poison Fang, cheapest move in any game, I swear — and Pinkie’s eyes bug out of her head. “Huh?!” she cries, nearly pulling the joystick off the cabinet. “How do you keep doing that?”

“Six-two-three-six,” Twilight says. She hasn’t blinked in five minutes.

“Seventeen?” Pinkie asks. She mashes the buttons, making her character frantically kick the air — she won the first round by running out the clock, but Twi isn’t gonna let her have this one. A last second joystick shift lets her roll away from Twi’s character with just half her health left. “Sunset, help me! I’m too young to die!”

Holding Twilight’s lion stuffie, Timber grins and looks at me expectantly. I sigh, step forward, and assume the position.

First I bend my knees until I match Pinkie’s height. Then I press my body against her back and rest my chin on her shoulder, close enough that our faces smush together. I lay my arms over hers, grab her hands. When all is said and done, it looks like Pinkie is wearing me as a jacket, or some sort of robotic exoskeleton.

“Okay,” I whisper, tapping into my amulet’s magic. “Let’s wreck her.”

It feels like a heavy vibration thumping through my brain, a stadium rock concert held entirely inside my skull. My thoughts crash against Pinkie’s, faster and harder and tighter, until the boundaries break. I hear her thoughts, and she hears mine. I see what she sees, she sees what I see. We move as one.

We grab the joystick and move our hand to the special move button.

Twilight still isn’t blinking. She dashes forward and swings her poison dagger.

We dodge to the side just in time. Twi stumbles.

She’s got fifteen frames of invincibility, then five frames of lag — now!

Quarter circle back, forward, kick. Our leg, wrapped in green lightning, rams into Twi’s neck. She flies away at just the right angle for a follow up. Dash forward, low kick, low kick. She rolls away and we chase, but she’s guarding, so we trap her in a throw.

In real life, we hear Twilight grunt. We smile.

Twi comes at us again, chaining combo into combo, forcing us to block. The chip damage is getting us dangerously low, but it’s also building our Super meter.

We have an idea.

No, she’s gonna kill us!

It’s gonna work!

Twi pulls off another combo, and her own Super meter peaks. We drop our guard. Immediately, she swings the joystick one quarter circle forward, a half circle back — her Super move.

In the single frame between her activating the move and hitting it, we jam down on the Block button. Her Super collides uselessly with our shield, doing almost no damage. And as she recovers from the miss, we trigger our own Super.

Three seconds later, Twilight goes flying off the edge of the stage. Her health bar disappears, and the announcer shouts, “Player Two wins!”

I let go of Pinkie, my thoughts disentangle from hers, and I stumble backwards, lightheaded. Everything’s blurry for a few seconds, but as soon as the world comes back into focus, Pinkie tackles me with a hug.

“We did it!” she says, jumping up and down. “We’re the best!”

“Yeah we are,” I slur out. After controlling two bodies, it takes some time to reorient my limbs and mouth. Also her boobs are bouncing right in my face.

I can read anyone’s mind, memories, and emotions. But Pinkie Pie is the only person I’ve ever done a full on mind meld with. She’s the only person willing to get that close and vulnerable. The warm tingle of love that lingers in my head after detaching more than makes up for the wooziness.

Back at the arcade cabinet, Twilight is glaring at us — but there’s still a smile on her lips. “Good game,” she says. “Even if it was two-on-one.”

Timber steps up and wraps an arm around her. “Don’t worry, babe. You’re still the master to me.”

There’s a joke in there somewhere. I don’t want to find it.

“Now that we’ve thoroughly kicked your ass,” I say, “wanna find a new game? I think we’ve given this machine more attention than it’s seen since the ‘90s, anyway.”

“Sounds good,” Timber says. He turns and points to the skee-ball lanes at the other side of the arcade. “And I’ve got a suggestion.”

Twilight claps. “Ooh! A physics game!”

Timber gives us a thumbs up and an exaggerated nod. “My girl loves her physics.”

We all follow Timber over to the skee-ball lanes. When we get there, he picks up a ball and tosses it around. “This is my game. So, who’s brave enough to face the Ballmaster?”

Twilight and Pinkie giggle, while I just raise an eyebrow. “That’s a hell of a nickname,” I say.

He locks eyes with me. “Are you challenging for the throne?”

“It’s a monarchy?”

“Absolute.” He adjusts his beanie. “Got a crown and everything.”

“Do it, Sunset!” Pinkie says. “Master those balls!”

I’m not particularly interested in skee-ball — or good at it — and I’m about to decline. But Timber’s confident smirk holds my tongue.

Rolling my eyes, I step forward and take my place at the lane next to Timber. “When I win, you can keep the hat.”

“Crown,” he corrects, passing me a token to start the game. “And when I win, I’ll let you be my jester.”

Off to the side, Pinkie pouts and mutters, “No fair.”

“Go Timber!” Twi calls, thrusting a fist into the air. “Also Sunset!”

Sorry, Twi, but I’m about to kill your boyfriend.

We take our places. We insert our tokens. The gates covering the score rings fall, and nine balls roll down.

In one fluid motion, I snatch a ball and roll it full-speed toward the 50 point ring. It bounces off and rolls down to the 10 point hole. Damn it.

Next to me, Timber picks up a ball, squints at the targets, winds up — leg lifting off the ground like a baseball pitcher — and rolls. It flies up to the 100 point ring, but misses and falls to the 10 point hole.

Silent, he grabs another ball and shifts a few inches to the right. Another throw towards the 100 point ring, and another miss.

This is King Ballmaster’s strategy? Only aim for the hardest target and pray? He’s toast.

I toss my second ball. It rolls smoothly and flies into the 20 point ring. I toss another, and hit another 20 pointer. And another after that. Nothing but net.

Timber tries the 100 point ring and misses again, just in time for me to score a huge 50 pointer.

I’m winning 120 to 30. Pinkie leaps into the air and cries, “All hail Ballmaster Sunset!” Twilight watches with wide eyes, hugging her lion.

I grab my next ball and turn to Timber. “Wanna forfeit early, Your Highness?”

He doesn’t answer, doesn’t even look at me. Instead he tilts his torso away a few degrees, tosses a ball to the 100 point ring — and sinks it. His score shoots to 130. Now everyone goes quiet.

What the hell. I turn back to the game, toss another ball, and hit another 50.

At the exact same time, Timber hits another 100. And then another. And another. Twilight cheers. Pinkie’s jaw is legit touching the floor.

It’s 170 (me) to 430 (hipster asshole). Only a few balls left for both of us.

My breathing picks up. The roar of the arcade floods my ears. I can’t let him win this, can’t let him beat me. But at this point, there’s only one way to win.

I take one of my patented calming breaths — Timber hits another perfect shot and I almost choke — then toss a ball towards the 100 point ring. It bounces off. So does the next one.

We’ve both got one ball left, but it’s over. As Timber hits his last 100 pointer, I limply roll my ball down the lane. It doesn’t even make it to a hole — it just falls into the gutter.

190 to 630. He straight up beheaded me.

Bright yellow tickets pour out of his machine. As they pool around his sandals, he throws up his hands, whoops, and says, “The Ballmaster strikes again!” Twilight runs over and they do an annoyingly cute dance, hopping around and giggling like idiots, before Twi whispers something and they kiss. Makes me wanna stuff my head into one of the point holes.

How did he do that? One perfect shot I could believe, maybe two. But six in a row? Impossible, totally impossible. Either he cheated, or this game is rigged. Maybe both? Yeah, definitely both. He looks like a cheater, and all these arcade games are rigged. They’re rigged, and I still got nearly 200 points — if anything, that basically makes me the real winner. Yeah.

But six in a row?

“Good game?”

Timber appears next to me, and I realize I’m clenching my jaw hard enough that it hurts.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to look like I was hustling you,” he says sheepishly. “I was just trying to find the right angle. And once I did, I kept throwing in the exact same way. I’ve got good muscle memory.”

“That’s how he won me Leonardo!” Twilight says, holding up her lion.

He nods, then holds out his hand. “So, good game?”

I stare at his dumb hand. If this were an online game, this is the point where I’d curse him out and then switch servers before he had the chance to report me.

But this is real life. And he’s got an honest smile. And Twilight is watching me, still hugging that stuffed animal.

So I sigh and return the handshake. His hands are rough, like an old man’s. And as we shake, I’m ready to let him have this one.

But the devil on my shoulder grabs my tongue.

“Good game,” I say, “Timmy.”

She’s not a very clever devil.

He freezes up for a second, and his face — it’s caught somewhere between confusion and shock, like he’s not sure whether to be offended or not. But soon his smile returns with an extra helping of smarm, and he shakes my arm even harder.

“Great to hear,” he says, “Shimmy.”

He says the name with this bizarre half-British accent. And I want to stay mad at this dude, I do.

But I keep staring at his curled nose and evil smile. And as he stares back at me, his chin starts quivering with barely contained laughter. And something starts rising up my throat too.

No, stop it! Stay strong!

He throws his head back and legit guffaws. That’s all it takes for a horde of giggles to ram their way out of my mouth.

And that makes Twilight start laughing! And then god damn it Pinkie starts laughing too!

Now I’m literally laying in the skee-ball alley, wheezing like I’ve got Twi’s asthma. I can’t believe I lost to this dude, and I can’t believe he’s got me falling over like this. Is this how he picked up Twilight? Or am I just easy as hell?

By the time I stop laughing, my stomach hurts and my face tingles. Timber offers me his hand again and pulls me up, out of the alley. Behind him, Twilight is beaming, smile as wide as I’ve ever seen it.




Sure enough, Timber beats all of us in skee-ball. We only manage to win once we blindfold him and Twi levitates all the balls directly into the 100 point ring.

Soon enough we move on, and Pinkie finds the “shoot zombies with the cool plastic gun” game she was looking for. Timber calls Player Two, and they immediately start mowing down dozens of zombies.

While they play, Twi and I stand off to the side, leaning against a coin pusher. I’m just checking my phone — damn kids always on their phones instead of talking, I know — and mindlessly chewing my nails. But then in the corner of my eye, I notice Twilight staring at me. When I turn to look at her, she darts her eyes away.

I lock my phone. “What’s up?”

“Nothing, nothing.” She strokes Leonardo’s mane. Then in a murmur, “Just — do you like Timber?”

I raise a brow. “You mean as a friend, right?”

“Yes, as a friend,” Twilight says, rolling her eyes. “Are you having a good time?”

“Yeah!” I give a thumbs up, pushing away all the snarky jokes I could make about him and his beanie. “He’s cool.”

“Good. I’m glad.”

I pause, then smirk and lean a bit closer. “Do you like him?”

She spins her head to look right at me again. “Of course!” she says, nodding fast. “I love him. Why wouldn’t I?”

The wild enthusiasm is enough to make me flinch. “Just joking!” I say, adding a laugh.

“Oh.” Her voice is quieter. A thin blush fills her cheeks as she looks down at Leonardo. “Sorry. But yes, I love him. A lot.”

Any response I think of gets stuck in my mouth, so I just pull out my phone again.

What set her off like that? The two of them have been inseparable all day. Obviously I wasn’t being serious.

But she’s sensitive, and it was a dumb joke. My fault.

Timber drops his light gun and pumps a fist. “Hell yes!”

“Aww,” Pinkie says, drooping. “I was two zombies behind! Curse my merciful nature.”

He pats her shoulder. “Don’t worry; once the real zombie apocalypse hits, I’m definitely letting you join my human resistance army.”

Pinkie spends two seconds giggling, then jumps forward and stabs a finger into Timber’s chest. “It’ll be my human resistance army, bucko.”

Timber gulps and backs away. Once he’s out of Pinkie’s reach, he perks up and steps over to Twilight. “You wanna join our army too, babe?”

She looks up at him with starry eyes. “Definitely. Any army needs a logistics expert, right?”

“Most important role in the whole damn unit,” he says. Then he closes his eyes, dips his head, and gives Twilight a long kiss on the lips.

The stars in Twilight’s eyes burn out. She keeps them open, staring straight ahead at his eyelids. Her hands are curled into a stiff claw-like grip, nails digging into Leonardo’s fabric.

She stays like that until he pulls away. Then, with a gentle smile on his face, he runs a finger down her cheek. “I love you,” he says.

Twilight nods. She’s wearing a tight smile. “Me too!”

“Yo, Ballmaster!” Pinkie calls from the light gun cabinet. “There’s more levels!”

Timber cheers and runs back over. That leaves us alone again, and I watch as Twilight puts a hand over the cheek that he touched. She’s got glassy eyes, and her legs are pressed tight together.

“Twi?” I ask, whispering. “Are you okay?”

And as quickly as it came, Twilight’s daze disappears. “Yep!” she says at a normal volume. “Are you?”

“Yeah! Yeah.” I glance down at her knees — they’re not pressed together anymore. “Just, y’know. Sorta hungry.”

“Me too.” She pulls out her phone. “We should go get food after this! I hear that there’s a remarkably well-reviewed diner a few blocks away.”

I give her a toothy smile. “Def.”

While she searches for the restaurant, I look between her and Timber. That was weird, right? I didn’t imagine it? He’s kissed her loads of times today, and she’s never reacted like that. And the way she reacted to my joke — what’s wrong?

What’s happening with them? Is she hiding something? Why? I thought we were best friends. What isn’t she telling me? Is he hurting her?

My eyes drift down to her hand, hanging free at her side. My amulet burns against my chest.

I lift my hand, but bring it to my mouth instead and start chewing my nails again. No, no, no! Twilight is my best friend, not some magic-crazed villain. I’ve got no right to snoop through her head.

If something is actually wrong, she’ll tell me. I trust her. Just like she trusts me. Yeah.