• Published 21st Sep 2012
  • 1,129 Views, 58 Comments

Thirty-ish Minute Pony Stories - Abecedarian



Stories submitted to the Thirty Minute Pony Stories Tumblr - They vary in quality, but at least they're all short.

  • ...
1
 58
 1,129

PreviousChapters Next
Written by the Victors (Prompt #116)

TMP Prompt #116 - “Wintersnapper”

Prompt: The littlest Windigo

-

Written by the Victors

Once upon a time all the North was ours, and we had no ambition but to live, frolicking and playing on its sweet breezes.

And then from the South, the land of heat and strangeness, They came to take our lands, our skies, our lives.

We cannot even know what to call them, what They call Themselves.

They, with painful heat, with patterns of thought so alien as to make communication impossible. Their very presence was physically and psychically agonizing to us.

Fundamentally incompatible, our elders finally decided. We must drive Them away if we are to survive.

We did not want to kill Them, even then. All we wished was to live in peace.

We made it worse for Them. We choked out Their strange foods and chilled Them to the bone, spread suffering and misery among Their kind, all to send a simple message:

Go Away.

Yet still They stayed.

And then came the Dolorous Day, when They came together and wielded Their thought as a weapon.

There are so few of us now. So very few.

They expand further and further, and so many of our foals die before their first year.

Was it so wrong for us to want to live? To bear healthy children and dance upon the winds for eternity?

You, little one, are amazing. You are the only one among us who can be called healthy, and you remain so, even after ten years in Their shadow. Indeed, you seem to thrive upon Their presence.

Go forth into Their lands, and perhaps, one day we will find some way to speak to Them, to understand Them.

And if we must, to destroy Them.

Go forth, little Hope, and we pray that you may save us all.

Author's Note:

2022 Me: Past me wouldn't know subtlety if it ran up to him in the face, screaming its name and slapping him over and over again.

PreviousChapters Next