• Published 21st Sep 2012
  • 1,126 Views, 58 Comments

Thirty-ish Minute Pony Stories - Abecedarian



Stories submitted to the Thirty Minute Pony Stories Tumblr - They vary in quality, but at least they're all short.

  • ...
1
 58
 1,126

PreviousChapters Next
The Path is Open (Prompt #115)

TMP Prompt #115 - “I’ll Face Myself”

Prompt: Somepony confronts their inner demons.

-

The Path is Open

“I AM NIGHTMARE MOON!”

Lightning roared in the dark and endless sky as the mare reared up before her.

“And that is very strange.” ‘Nightmare Moon’ tilted her head quizzically. “Why me, I wonder? Do I represent power? Surely Discord was more powerful. Why am I not Discord?”

She regarded her form.

“It is because her appearance was strange, and I am strange to you? But Chrysalis, the Changeling Queen was stranger by far, on many levels. Appearance, and nature, and motivation. You know, you could have swept her and all her kin away, if you wished. All by yourself, Element or no Element, if you only—”

She blinked. “Ah. You are afraid of me.”

“Nightmare Moon” took a few steps toward her, and she backed away.

“Nightmare Moon hit you on a level that you cannot explain, something visceral. Something you recoil at…” It was hard to tell how she felt about it. “Are you afraid that this is what you could be?”

“She was a Princess,” the dark mare said. “And she was powerful, seeking more and more power, more and more glory. You are afraid that if you do not stay humble, pursue parlor tricks and cantrips, keep your true power hidden even from yourself, that you could not help but follow her path. Even now, even after saving the world twice over, even after all your friends rely upon you, you still, still hide your true might away.”

“You think that I am dangerous.” ‘Nightmare Moon’ kept stalking toward her. “You think that I could turn you into a monster.”

“Should I be offended? I am not. You could never offend me.” Her back hit a wall she couldn’t see and “Nightmare Moon” stopped, face unreadable. “You also cannot escape me, little one, so let us be honest with each other, shall we?”

“Nightmare Moon” exploded in a flash, and in her place hovered a small lavender filly, surrounded by a white glow, eyes blank with shining light.

“Twilight Sparkle. I am your birthright, chosen by fate. I am Magic, as you are Magic. The power that preserves, the power that destroys. Do your legs frighten you? Your eyes? Your horn? I have no will of my own, no ability to change you for good or for evil.”

The world faded into blankness.

“Use me wisely, Twilight Sparkle, or misuse me foolishly,” the voice said. “ I do not care. I only wish to be used, a tool in the care of my masters.”

“Wake, and fear no longer.”

And she did, and she didn’t.

Author's Note:

Past Me: And you promise everyone will appreciate how clever I was naming my fic after a Persona 3 song to the match the prompt which used a Persona 3 song for a title?

2022 Me: My dear me, if me can't trust me, who can me trust?

Past Me: And because of that they'll enjoy the matching theme of inner conflict the fic has with the game?

2022 Me: Me guarantee me. Me's not making a mestake.

PreviousChapters Next