• Published 21st Sep 2012
  • 1,129 Views, 58 Comments

Thirty-ish Minute Pony Stories - Abecedarian



Stories submitted to the Thirty Minute Pony Stories Tumblr - They vary in quality, but at least they're all short.

  • ...
1
 58
 1,129

PreviousChapters Next
Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit (Prompt #112)

TMP Prompt #112 - “What the Future Holds”

The Prompt: Ponies: The Next Generation

-

Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit

“—We are so sorry, little ones.” The aged mare’s image flickered as she bowed her head. “For if you have come to seek us, then danger once more threatens Equestria, and we cannot rise to its defense.”

She looked up again.

“But know that the Elements of Harmony still lie within this castle. Find them and use their power to save the world.”

And the image of the erstwhile Princess Celestia faded, leaving a brief afterimage on the purple wall behind it, and the six ponies were alone once more.

“Wh-what does this mean?” Little Dizzy asked. “What does this mean?”

“I’ll tell you what it means,” Grim Grin chuckled bitterly. “It means we’ve lost. All of this, our quest, our mission, was pointless. It‘s kind of hilarious, if you think about it.”

“Grim!” Softhoof chided. “It’s too early to say that.”

“Sorry, Mister Mayor.” The battle-scarred unicorn stuck out his tongue.

Front Line snarled and kicked the dais from which the image had been projected.

“Line, sweetheart, you’ll damage it.“

“THEY ABANDONED US, SOFTHOOF!” The unicorn mare raged. “THEY BETRAYED US! TURNED THEIR BACKS ON US! AND FOR WHAT!? FOR WHAT!? WHAT HAVE WE BEEN SERVING ALL THESE YEARS?!”

“In the end, I guess they were just like ordinary ponies after all,” Fair Dealer said. "They had as much right to a normal life as anypony else, if they wanted one."

“Maybe even more.”

“They had a duty!” Front Line insisted. “Those…those bitches—”

“Well,” Softhoof gently rubbed her shoulder. “If you had to be Captain of the Ponyville Guard twenty-four hours a day, you wouldn’t be the calm and even-tempered soul I know so well.”

“…Sweet-talker.” She let him pull her into a kiss.

“D’aww.” Dizzy grinned.

“All this mush doesn’t change the fact that we’re doomed without the Princesses.” Grim pointed out. “Unless you think Discord’s got a soft spot for lovers.”

“Elements,” Spectral Aura murmured.

All turned to the pearlescent unicorn, who blushed and covered her mouth.

“Go on,” Softhoof encouraged her.

“Wuh-well…I’ve heard th-that the ‘Elements of Harmony’ were even more p-powerful than the P-Princesses. M-maybe they can st-stop Discord.”

“Looks like we don’t have any other choice...” Fair Dealer peered around the room. “Well, there’s nothing that valuable in here.”

“Let’s ask the dragon!” Dizzy said.

“What dragon?”

She pointed, and the creature the others had taken for an immense purple-and-green wall opened its eyes.

“I was wondering when you’d notice me,” Spike grumbled.

Author's Note:

2022 Me: If I ever, ever get back into writing ponies I may expand on this setting. Or I may keep procrastinating like I did and end up dead first.

Have a fun day, future readers!

PreviousChapters Next