• Published 3rd Sep 2022
  • 4,776 Views, 160 Comments

Fluffiest Misadventures - tranhdxrbntd



Fluffy Yakutian Horse from egalitarian culture visits RGRE Equestria and gets harassed because of culture clash. Inspired by "The Long and Short of It" by SQA

  • ...
18
 160
 4,776

Chapter 5: One Small Act of Kindness

Snow, something he grew up with, something he was so familiar with that he was named after it. This was his natural environment. It was what he preferred. To him, it was a blessing in a time of despair and the experience of snow surrounding his legs, as he trudged through the field of white, was a comforting feeling.

The sight of this many trees was a bit odd but it impressed him. Typically, the only time he or other Yakutians saw any type of tree was when they reached the most southern portion of their constant everlasting migration. Even then, those trees were uncommon and essentially decimated by the arctic environment they lived in.

He cut a path towards a tree and pawed at it. Even in this cold (cold for Canterlot, relatively warm for a Yakutian), the tree seemed to still have life in it unlike the trees he were used to seeing. The wood seemed to be very strong and pliable so he jumped up and grabbed hold of a low hanging branch with his mouth. When gravity took him back to the ground, the branch went with him, disconnecting itself from the tree.

Snowball thanked the tree and tucked the branch into his saddlebags, alongside his spear, running the length of his body. He went back to trudging through the snow, wanting to continue his arduous journey, but he was immediately distracted by something else.

Off in the distance, he heard the screams of yearlings. Sprinting towards their rescue, he effortlessly made a silent slice through the deep snow. The distance he traveled to find the victims, wouldn't have been easily covered by most other ponies, even if it was on a cleared flat road. For him, the distance didn't matter, if it was a child, it was the right thing to do.

Just as when the physical exertion started to get his core temperature heated up, he found the source of the screams. There were five of those winged Equestrians, four little yellow fillies and an even littler pair of light grey colts. All of them were running around, chasing each other, and lobbing snowballs at each other. A sense of relief filled him. It was just a bunch of children playing around in the snow, something he had seen before, just never seen before with this much noise being made in the process.

The six of the pegasi yearlings noticed their visitor and charged at the Yakutian while screaming but before they could reach him, a resounding command ripped through the air.

"GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!" yelled a mysterious stallion.

The six pegasi yearlings immediately halted their stampede and slowly trotted in the direction of the voice, opposite of where they had been charging. Snowball looked to where they were heading, also where that other stallion had been yelling from, and saw a short yellow pegasus stallion approaching forward.

Snowball, who had almost bolted off when the children had started charging at him, relaxed his muscles and shook off some of the snow that had accumulated on him when he charged through the snow.

The yellow pegasus stallion intercepted the half dozen little hellspawn, giving them a disapproving look. "You all know how to act around other ponies!" he scolded them. He turned to look at Snowball and gave a friendly wave. Returning his hoof to the ground, he trudged his way over to Snowball, six little ponies trailing behind like a line of ducks. Snowball thought about running off, having experienced enough of Equestria's population but decided this new pony seemed friendly enough.

When the distance was closed, the first thing the pegasus noticed was that this new pony was bestowed upon by Celestia herself, what appeared to be the most magnificent winter coat he had ever seen on anypony (and that chest floof, the tuft of legends). It was matted and dirtied in some areas but it was so mesmerizing that it could be forgiven. Then, he noticed the spear that the mysterious stallion was carrying, along with a... Tree branch? Was he homeless? "Sir, are you okay?" Snowball paused before nodding in response. "Are you traveling somewhere?" he asked, noticing the stallion's saddlebags.

Snowball nodded and pulled aside one of his saddlebags. He started digging through the saddlebag as another yell echoed throughout this area.

"Where's the foals?!" demanded a mare's voice. Snowball immediately froze upon hearing the mare's voice.

The stallion, turning to the direction of where the mare yelled from and yelled out, "Over here!" He turned back to look at Snowball and noticed how how tense the newfound mound of winter coat had become. Snowball's fur was standing on end and all of his muscles were tensed up. Ears flicking around and eyes squinting in anger, what was going on with this stallion? Did he do something wrong? The pegasus stallion held a hoof up to calm down the stallion. "I'm sorry about my foals, my wife and I wanted to take them out for a fun little snow day in the park." This seemed to snap Snowball out of his trance and he tilted his head, looking at the line of six little ponies. He nodded and smiled back in return.

Going over a snow mound, appeared a little bat pony who was carrying a couple trays of ice cream cones in her hooves. She barely hovered above the snow and approached the group of ponies, filling Snowball with a sense of dread. Upon getting there, the bat pony was immediately swarmed by the six little ponies, each one retrieving an ice cream scoop. The bat pony noticed the Yakutian, raising an eyebrow. "Sorry it took so long, who's this?" the mare asked. The mare could immediately see that this new stallion was very agitated and stepped closer to him. "Want an ice cream cone? The stand was having a deal so I have extra!" she said while holding up one of the trays up to him.

Snowball's muscles tense and he took a step back, wanting to keep himself away from the mare. He noticed that she didn't do anything before taking a tentative step forward. He look at the tray and at the ice cream. He wasn't sure what it was and looked at the colts and fillies who had grabbed an ice cream cone. They were happily licking away at the things. He took the chance and picked up one of the remaining ice cream cones. The fillies and colts paused in their treats consumption and stared at the strange new pony as he stared at the strange new treat.

Snowball realized everypony was waiting on him so he gave the ice cream a tentative lick. He then immediately bit off the entire top half of the cream cone, taking the entire scoop of ice cream into his mouth. He chewed for a bit before stuffing the rest of the cone into his mouth.

Everypony giggled at the only enjoyment of Equestria that the stallion had so far. The mare noticed the somewhat ragged look that the stallion had and then noticed the spear and tree branch he was carrying. She stepped in between the new stallion and her stallion. "So, uh, what brings you to Canterlot?"

The mare's words snapped Snowball out of his temporary zen and he picked up where he left off on digging through his saddlebag. He produced a scroll and held it out for the mare. The bat pony hesitantly took the scroll and unrolled it. She gasped, realizing what she was holding. The scroll was gilded with gold and had the royal seal of the two sisters. "A visit to Equestria, personal invitation to Canterlot Castle from Princess Celestia?!" she exclaimed. She looked back to the stallion. "Why are you by yourself?!"

The husband, ran up to his wife and looked at the scroll, realizing that what she had said was correct. "Do you know how dangerous it is for stallions like us to go on our own?!" Snowball snorted angrily and pulled back the scroll. To be fair, he had run into quite a bit of trouble so far. "Let us take you there!"

Snowball shook his head, refusing the offer. He hugged the husband and wife (wow, he is very warm) and dug something out of his saddlebags. He held it up, offering it to the couple. It was a hoof sized piece of ivory, intricately engraved with a scene of the ocean.

The husband politely pushed the gift away. "No, we couldn't." It didn't matter. Snowball just stuck the piece of scrimshaw into the bat pony wife's mane before running off in the direction of Canterlot Castle, leaving the couple baffled.

That was when a colt's voice pierced the air. "Dad, he's not wearing a ball bra!" There was a light smack on the back of the head.

The wife couldn't resist looking. There was a heavy smack on the back of the head.

Author's Note:

Just to clarify. When I use the term yearling, its not a pony between the ages of 1 to 2 years old. I use the term to refer to pony children.