• Published 24th Jun 2022
  • 602 Views, 8 Comments

A Draconequus' Guide to Being Human - fluttershyy



discord is thrust suddenly into the human world, and he must learn from there how to adapt to his new surroundings.

  • ...
1
 8
 602

Step Three- Blending In

Author's Note:

i return. it's been like... over half a year, oopsie daisies :p so sorry for such a long wait on this third chapter!! i got pretty busy with work, and then i was in the process of moving when i started this chapter, then i forgot and now its 2024,, guh, im so sorry T_T hopefully i can get back into the swing of updating this more regularly, because i have Things and Stuff planned for it. most of this chapter is a little short and a bit of filler and getting back into the swing of writing and such :fluttershysad: i promise next one will be better

Over the span of one day, Discord very quickly came to the conclusion his attire would not fly. He wasn't particularly used to wearing real clothes, especially something so stuffy and uncomfortable. After an embarrassingly long time spent figuring out the light boxes, he left after doing what he considered an ample amount of research, and even though it was cooler outside, it was certainly not cold enough to wear this awful thing out in the sun. It also drew too much attention, which normally, he ate up like nobody's business- but it was the wrong kind of attention unfortunately. How is he supposed to lay low if he sticks out like a sore thumb?

He had to blend in. Some way or another. And that meant more people watching.

After enough wandering he came across a street lined with different sorts of clothing shops- and while he had no way to conjure up any sort of money in this world, since most of his energy was being wasted on this ridiculous disguise, he could at the very least study the people who came in and out of these stores and what they had on display. His current knowledge on humans and this realm they lived in was very limited and outdated. He found a suitable bench and would simply sit and stare, watching people walk down the walkways outside of the shops lining the street.

After what felt like ages, a familiar, soft voice finally broke him out of his study- which had turned into him taking a nap on the bench after about thirty minutes.

"Mister... Discord?"

Ugh. This girl, again? He can't seem to escape her. He opened an eye, a little annoyed his "people watching" had been interrupted.

"Yes, what is it? I'm a little busy, here, if you can't tell."

Fluttershy seemed to twiddle her thumbs a little bit, with a pause. She was... formulating what she wanted to say, or how to say it, in her mind before speaking it out loud.

"... Are you alright? You've been sitting here asleep for.. a couple hours."

Discord suddenly straightened up off the bench. More disheveled than he'd been beforehand, he raised up a hand to smoothen out his hair. "I'm quite fine. I just got a little bit bored, is all. You people are just so dreadfully unfun to watch."

"... Watch? What do you-"

"Nothing, nothing, never mind. What brings you here? I didn't take you for much of a... oh, what do they call it, fashionista?"

Fluttershy just sort of paused a couple moments, staring at him before gathering herself again and speaking. "... Oh. Well.. I was on my way to visit my friend who works here. I was going to help model something she was working on."

Discord had barely opened his mouth to respond, when the door to the shop opened with a ding! and out stepped a tall, slim young woman, with curled purple hair. She was dressed chic, with a slim silhouette, but it was still very fashionable- good taste, even Discord could tell.

"Fluttershy, darling, there you are! I was beginning to wonder-" She'd smile towards her friend- before Discord was seen out of the corner of her eye, and gained a suspicious squint in his direction. "... Is this man here bothering you? He's been out here nearly all day watching my clients come in and out of the boutique- oh dear, and he looks utterly dreadful!"

'Dreadful'! And so casually, too, who did this woman think she was?!

Before Discord could begin a retort, Fluttershy raised a hand with a meek, almost hesitant smile, resting it on the other woman's shoulder. "... Rarity, it's alright. He's a... friend, of mine. He's the person I met in the library the other day."

Of course. How could he have forgotten that... attitude. Prissy, uptight. But fun and... easy to mess with.

Rarity would seem to soften a little bit at Fluttershy's reassurance, but only a little- she'd look at Discord with great suspicion. "... Well, at least let me get you something less.. awful to wear."

"But Rarity, didn't you have a project to-"

"The project can wait, my darling. This crime is to be seen to first. Come, come." Rarity waved the both of them into the boutique, and Fluttershy would let out a faint giggle as she'd then follow inside- Discord soon after. He'll not throw away this opportunity so quickly, as it landed right into his lap.

---------- εїз ----------

Rarity's boutique was bustling. Customers in, looking through clothes and dresses on racks, displayed upon mannequins- the clothes themselves being far more extravagant than Rarity's current dress, though somehow she still stood out with her creations. Fluttershy and Discord followed her through a door, to a workroom. Relatively tidy, a little bit or organized chaos, half-finished projects strewn either on a table or draped overtop a mannequin with pins holding fabric and patterns in place.

They were there for maybe three hours tops. Fluttershy had seen Rarity work before, but she'll never be not impressed at the speed Rarity can make a quality piece, let alone multiple articles of clothing.

"Oh, Rarity- it was really nice of you to do all of this for him." Fluttershy would be sitting down on a chair, nearby a dressing room that Discord currently stood in- he'd been in there a while.

"Nonsense, darling. If he is a friend of yours, then I'm eager to help. God, even if he wasn't your friend I might have. I'm not sure I would've let that disaster slide no matter the circumstance." Rarity would say this with a proud smile, inspecting her well manicured nails as they wait. "And I must say, I think I've done quite the impressive turnaround."

When Discord stepped out, he was almost unrecognizable. The stuffy and very formal attire had been swapped out for something more loose and comfortable. Admittedly, stylish, as well, though that was typically a given when Rarity was involved.

Discord himself seemed,, pleased, enough, though he was clearly glad for it to be over. "Are we finished here, now?"

A huff came from Rarity in return. "Yes. You're welcome, by the way. You're the toughest case I've had to manage since the Gala."

"Yes yes, generosity is your thing." More grumbling from Discord, who was moving towards the exit already. "Thhhhank you, I suppose."

And just like that, he was gone, the bell above the door to the boutique quietly chiming with his exit. Rarity brought a hand down her face.

"...Fluttershy, darling."

"... Yes, Rarity?"

"... I'm beginning to grow concerned with the company you keep."

Comments ( 1 )

it just can't be! This story is still alive! What do you want, I have to continue :0, by the way, good chapter :D

Login or register to comment