• Published 12th Aug 2022
  • 5,464 Views, 479 Comments

Forgotten: The Crystal Princess - milesprower06



After rescuing Princess Flurry Heart from a frigid limbo with the help of the Crystal Heart, Sunny wonders where to go from here with the first alicorn Equestria has seen in centuries.

  • ...
7
 479
 5,464

Searching

The sleeping bag on the bench seat of the Scouticus wasn't the most comfortable sleeping arrangements, but it beat nothing at all, and with a stretch, Sunny was ready to greet the new, frigid day in the frozen north. She got up, rolled up the sleeping bag around her pillow, and put it into the corner of the seat, and put her snow boots on before stepping outside, where Sprout was sitting and tending the fire.

"Morning, Sunny," Sprout greeted. "Coffee?"

"Sounds absolutely perfect, Sprout. Am I the last one up?" She asked.

"For once," the red stallion replied, pouring Sunny a cup of the hot beverage from the kettle. "Flurry was the first one up, no idea how much sleep she got. She wasn't in here when I got up, and I was up at six."

"She in the library?" Sunny asked as she sipped at her coffee.

"Yup. Zipp found her in there on the first trip in, she's certainly focused on something important." Sprout answered.

"Well, I'd better go see what it is," Sunny told him, opting to stick to the granola bars in her saddlebags if she got too hungry as she stepped away from the fire and headed into the library. Izzy was pulling books off of the shelves and stacking them on the table, Pipp was sorting them once they had been set down, and Zipp was carrying what she had prioritized for loading and putting them in the closest bin, which once full would be pushed out to the trailer.

"Morning, Sunny. Finally up?" Zipp asked after stacking the next four books in the closest bin.

"Yep. Sprout said Flurry was here?" the earth mare asked.

"Around the corner away from the noise, she seems awfully focused on something," Pipp said, organizing books on the table next to the bin.

"Thanks," Sunny said, before walking down the main concourse between the two sets of large bookshelves. Sure enough, after the last shelf, at a table against the back wall, sat Flurry Heart, horn glowing and providing light as she sat with two books. One looked to be a hoof written journal of some sort, and the other was a far larger atlas, with the pages wider and taller than most books, containing topographic maps that Flurry was studying quite intently.

"Flurry?" Sunny gently asked.

Flurry sat up and glanced over at her, and Sunny immediately knew that she had not slept well.

"Are you alright?" She asked the alicorn.

Flurry stretched, and pushed the chair away from the table.

"Yeah, I probably don't look that great. I've been in here since five in the morning. I had a rough night, so since I've already gathered up what personal items I want, I figured I'd try and find something that Princess Twilight hid away. It... It could be important."

Sunny wasn't sure what to say. She wasn't sure if Flurry looked worried, or if she looked like she just didn't get a good night's sleep.

"Can I get you some coffee?" Sunny asked.

Flurry shook her head as she got up.

"No, but thank you. I need to get up, I've been hunched over those books for hours. I think I'll go get some myself, maybe the walk will clear my head."

"Alright, don't work too hard, now," Sunny told her, trying not to sound too concerned. When Flurry got up and headed for the front doors, Sunny took a curious glance at the page of the atlas the alicorn had been looking at. Whatever she was looking for, it was fairly close to Maretime Bay and Bridlewood, on the southwest coast...


Flurry Heart looked into the flames as Sprout poured her a fresh cup of coffee.

'You did it, didn't you, Opaline? You caused the discourse that threw this nation into civil war. But what was your goal? You knew as ponies started to disagree and lose their magic, the windigos would return, and that nothing would be able to stop them. What are you after? What's your endgame?'

Author's Note: