• Published 12th Aug 2022
  • 5,465 Views, 479 Comments

Forgotten: The Crystal Princess - milesprower06



After rescuing Princess Flurry Heart from a frigid limbo with the help of the Crystal Heart, Sunny wonders where to go from here with the first alicorn Equestria has seen in centuries.

  • ...
7
 479
 5,465

Aftermath

Sunny scooped the last of the strawberry oatmeal from the pot, poured it into a bowl, put a spoon in, and silently carried it up the ramp, and up the elevator, seeing Flurry Heart where she had been since returning an hour ago, staring out at the hills beyond CanterLogic as the first rays of the sunrise began to appear on the horizon.

"I brought you some breakfast," Sunny said softly, announcing her presence, unsure if Flurry had heard the elevator come up. She went over to the alicorn's nightstand, and gently set the bowl down.

"Is everything okay, Flurry? You haven't said a word since you got back, and I'm starting to worry," Sunny told her.

Flurry looked back at Sunny, and the breakfast she had brought her, and managed to give her a soft, exhausted smile.

"Thank you, Sunny, and I'm sorry. I just... I've been thinking in circles. wondering if I've made the right choice," Flurry told her, as she she sat down on the cot, but didn't touch the oatmeal yet.

"What do you mean? What happened?" Sunny asked.

"I found what I was looking for last night; I found Opaline Arcana. She's been in hiding all these years, no doubt in search of the Equestrian magic that has just revealed itself again, thanks to you and your friends. I entered her castle, confronted her, and we fought. I... I would have killed her, but there was a young mare living there with her. She put herself between me and Opaline. I don't know where she came from, what Opaline has told her... I left both of them there, and... And I'm wondering if that was the right choice. Maybe I should have taken that young mare away from that place. I didn't even know her name."

Finally, Flurry picked up the bowl of oatmeal, and took a few bites, just now realizing how hungry she was.

"Do you think Opaline is still a serious threat, after all this time?" Sunny asked.

Flurry nodded.

"She was the one who sowed division generations ago, so badly that it caused the Windigos to return. What her endgame was, I couldn't possibly fathom. She couldn't possibly think her pyromancy expertise could have resisted them..."

Flurry paused again to take several more bites of the breakfast Sunny had brought her.

"The important thing to remember, is now that magic is back, there will be those who want it for themselves, for their own ends. You have returned the magical way of life to Equestria, and now you will have to defend that way of life, Sunny. Are you prepared to do that?" Flurry asked.

Sunny nodded.

"Good. I'm glad. Because it will sometimes come to that, and the adversaries you face won't always see the light, won't always be able to be talked down. Maybe Opaline will be back, or perhaps with me here, she'll think more than twice about revealing herself again."

"Is there anything I can do, Flurry?" Sunny asked.

Flurry took a moment to finish the last bites of her oatmeal before getting up and going towards the elevator.

"You can keep doing what you've been doing, Sunny Starscout; research and teach our history, and continue to be a beacon of unity for ponies everywhere. Thank you for the breakfast. I think I'll go for a walk to clear my head, I don't think I'm getting to sleep anytime soon."