• Published 12th Aug 2022
  • 5,431 Views, 479 Comments

Forgotten: The Crystal Princess - milesprower06



After rescuing Princess Flurry Heart from a frigid limbo with the help of the Crystal Heart, Sunny wonders where to go from here with the first alicorn Equestria has seen in centuries.

  • ...
7
 479
 5,431

Returning Home

"Well, that's new. I didn't realize we were this close."

"That's because the most obvious clue that we were close was a gigantic spinning wall of snow."

Flurry Heart was roused by the voices of Sprout and Zipp, and gave a stretch inside her sleeping bag on the back bench of the Scouticus' passenger cabin. She looked up and saw Sprout in the driver's seat, Sunny in the passenger seat, and Zipp and Pipp in between them, with Pipp holding her phone up to the windshield, most likely recording whatever was in front of them.

Sunny turned and saw that Flurry had woken up. Izzy was still fast asleep on the right-side bench.

"Morning, Flurry. You want to take a look before we head down?" Sunny invited.

Yawning, Flurry got up and walked forward, while Zipp stepped back to give her room. The alicorn stepped up next to Pipp and saw that they had all been staring down at their destination; the Crystal Empire. The towering castle was the most recognizable, and not to mention the most uncovered; everything else was half-buried in snow, or completely covered.

"We were wondering where the storm went," Zipp commented from behind her.

"What do you mean?" Flurry asked.

"The last time we were here, there was a huge vortex around the city, a subzero vortex," Sunny began to explain. "Zipp led a team of fliers to scout the area a few weeks before our trip. They made camp to see if it would dissipate, and it never did, leading us to believe it had been holding position over the city since... We don't even know when..."

"That certainly sounds like the Windigos' storm," Flurry replied.

"But if that's the case, why did it dissipate now? When it was here, unmoving for generations?" Zipp asked, ever the investigator.

"If we see them again, maybe you can ask them," Sunny answered.

Flurry shuddered.

"Let's not do that," the alicorn told them.

"Well Sprout, we're ready whenever you are," Sunny told their driver.

"Alright, everypony buckle up. I'm going in slow, and if the trailer starts to slide, the only way to pull out of it is to speed up. So hang on," the earth stallion warned, and Flurry and Pipp took their seats in back. Pipp roused Izzy just enough to get her seat belt put on.

The vehicle slowly lurched forward. The lack of the storm made the descent much easier for Sprout, as he didn't have blowing snow and ice obscuring his view. His eyes darted from the path in front of him to the side mirrors to make sure the trailer was straight behind them and not sliding, right back to the front. The rising sun cast shadows that went sharply to the left, and even with the buildings half-buried, the way the sun's rays reflected off of them, instead of being obscured by a blizzard cyclone made it all the more beautiful, the rays reflecting off of the castle, breaking up the morning shadows into slivers that dotted across the expanse of white.

"Hey now..." Sprout muttered to himself, noticing the empty trailer being pulled behind them begin to list to the left. He gently accelerated until it got in line again, then let up on the pedal, continuing the descent into the Crystal Empire valley. "Don't even want to think about doing this with that thing loaded..."

"Maybe this giant bowl of snow will start to melt. You know, if the storm doesn't start up again," Sunny offered.

"One can only hope, but I don't even want to think about how long that'll take, not with how cold it gets at night," Zipp replied.

They came to the bottom of the snow valley, and the terrain leveled out. Sprout carefully snaked the vehicle and trailer around several half-buried crystal structures until they came to the center street that went right up to the castle, barely being able to make out the tread marks from their last trip here. He applied the brakes, came to a smooth stop, then set the parking brake, before leaving the engine idling.

"And we're back. So, teams of two again? Who's with me since Hitch is back home keeping that egg warm?" Sprout asked.

"I'll tag along with you, Sprout. Flurry can show Sunny around the castle, we barely started to explore that last time," Izzy offered.

True, their first expedition had come to quite the unexpected halt once they realized they had pulled a live alicorn out of a magical limbo.

"Sounds like a good idea to me," Sunny said as she unbuckled herself and got up from the passenger seat, coming back to open the floor compartments and pull out their cold weather gear so they could start suiting up. "Sprout and Izzy in the closest house, Zipp and Pipp in the library, and Flurry and me in the castle. Just a reminder, we brought containers to keep items more secure in the trailer, and they're easy enough to move around empty, but let Flurry or Izzy know when you've got one to move back to the trailer, and they can help out."

One by one, they got dressed, got their radio headsets on and linked up, and stepped out into the snow.

"It's not abnormally quiet anymore," Pipp commented as she continued recording. "What do you think stopped the storm?"

"Well, do we have any idea what changed since the last time we were here?" Zipp asked.

The bit dropped for Sunny.

"Flurry."

"Yeah?" the alicorn asked, assuming Sunny was calling for her.

"No, I mean, you're what changed. We got you back to the vehicle so quickly we didn't load anything else. You were all we took out of here last time."

"You make a good point. But, I wasn't generating the storm. I was fighting back against the Windigos that were creating it," Flurry replied.

"You think they were trying to keep you locked away?" Pipp asked.

Flurry remembered her final, taunting words to the enraged otherworldly creatures.

'You may get us, but you will go no farther, do you hear me?'

It wouldn't surprise her if they had wanted to hold her here for all eternity, their final vengeance against the Crystal Empire for keeping their frozen doom from the rest of Equestria.

"Well, we won't get much done by standing here wondering about it. Move out, ponies!" Zipp said, after opening the back of the trailer and pulling out the first empty cargo container, with her and her little sister pushing it towards the library.

"Hey, Flurry. Are you okay? I mean, being back here? Seeing your city like this?" Sunny asked.

The alicorn nodded immediately.

"Yes, I'm fine, Sunny. It hurts seeing it like this, but it could certainly be much, much worse; frozen bodies everywhere. We had the foresight to evacuate everypony in time, and I can only hope that the Empire's descendants are still among us today."

Author's Note: