• Published 19th Jan 2022
  • 3,457 Views, 183 Comments

Fuel the Eternal Flame | A DOOM MLP Crossover - NotAnEditor



Eons ago, in the trades of Nekravol, the great Khan Maykr sold away large stocks of worlds and planets that were once under their jurisdiction to the Dark Lord of Hell. Amongst these worlds being the peaceful land of Equestria.

  • ...
12
 183
 3,457

PreviousChapters Next
What Kind of Princess?

Red dust rained down from the air, a wave of hellish energy explosions hurdling across the red streets. Citizens of bipedal form and strangely gold skin hid in their homes, peaking their rotund heads over windows to see the assault before immediately ducking back down from the following eruption of crackling red.

The primitive city was built mostly from tan mud-hut adobe's on the desert-like red plains. It was a sprawling village of homes decorated with rugs and mysterious religious symbols.

Walking out of the dust, traveling down the width of the street was a large group of stoic-faced creatures, all the same species however with notable variations in their face-shapes. Long dreads flowed down their hooded heads, their hands folded into each sleeve of their burgundy robes, the same shade as their planet's earth.

The dozen priests walked the path in their sandals, balls of enemy energy narrowly missing them. The shortest of the twelve, all the way on the left was visibly shivering. "Hell has arrived, and our finest mages and warriors have all perished." she muttered, hiding her fear in the shade of the hood. "What are we to do?"

One of the male priests, marching with great stillness replied. "Priest Artikan has a plan, do not worry yourself." he barely flinched at another explosion. "Trust the higher ones."

The younger priest took a long breath, steadying herself as they ascended ancient steps up an old cliff, encroaching on a huge temple built upon pillars centuries old. The stone was formed from pure maroon.

The twelve shuffled within, darkness surrounding them. Several statues of alien creatures lined the walls, shining even in the dark from the embedded crystals and gems on their carved robes.

On a pedestal in the middle of the room, which slowly lit with golden light was an artifact floating gently. It was a cube of sorts, multi-sided with tons of holy engravings and runes across it. There were eye-like vessels, unlit.

The center priest stepped forth, in front of the artifact. “Brothers, sisters.” Artikan began. “Our planet is under siege by these horrid beasts, and our defenses have all failed.” he held his hands out. “However, with this we may save our world.” it presented the cubical artifact.

The rest of the group stepped forward beside him, holding hands in a chain.

“The Praeleanthor will save our race, but we must give up our souls to power it.” the head priest lowered his head, beginning to mutter ancient chants and hymns. The artifact slowly began splitting apart, circulating blades exposing and circusing about as they all chanted simultaneously.

Golden light slowly began shining from their bodies, snaking and worming over to the cube-shape, injecting into the circular core of it where the eye was embedded. After a moment of the souls being consumed by the shape, the eye finally hummed loudly with activation, beaming with gold energy.

The dozen priests collapsed to the floor, their bodies lifeless and cold. Soon, the Praeeanthor floated away from its podium, out to the exit of the temple. Millions of screeches, roars, explosions and slices could be heard, before suddenly the vision was brought to an end with an eruption of red energy, the temple collapsing down.

~

We tried our best, killed hundreds, thousands. But in the end we were buried with the city and our people.” it rumbled on the windowsill to the alicorn as she recovered from the vision.

Twilight looked at her blankets sadly. “A-And the same will happen to Equestria…” her voice was cracky and unstable.

Your home has a real chance however.” they began. “We had no king, no queen, no warriors, not a legion.” its yellow lights flashed with every word. “But you, Princess, you can still save this world.

She shook her head, ears low. “If I can’t even save my friends from those things, how can I save the entirety of Equestria?”

Because you must. And with my aid, we can do it together.” it replied.

Twilight opened her mouth to shoot down their hope, before sighting her saddlebag placed just under the window. The Codex resided within, along with the 122nd page. She focused her magic with a grunt, wrapping her aura around the saddlebag and dragging it up and onto the bed. On occasion, her magic would flicker, however it just managed to bring it to her.

She flipped to the page, bookmarked by the polaroid of her and Spike. Twilight glanced at the picture for a moment before reading through the chapter. A location, she needed to find the location. Her eyes skimmed through the page, searching desperately for a name or some kind of pointer.

Finally she found it. Reading left and right in the page to make sure it truly was the spot. Her muzzle turned up into a smile. Maybe there was hope… Ivotahnn, an old Sentinel outpost just east of Baltimare. It felt as though her ears could reach the sky as she shut the book, deciding when and how she should take the jou-

“Oh.” Twilight felt her spirit shrink, the alicorn wincing in pain the complex conclusion took on her concussed brain. East of Baltimare was nothing, nothing but the Celestial Sea and Griffinstone after that. For all she knew it had sunk into the deep water eons ago.

She heard a knock at the door of her room, the alicorn’s ears picking up as she looked over curiously. Twilight coughed a bit before speaking up. “Come in.”

Princess Luna slowly opened the door, worried. She had not seen the extent of the Princess of Friendship’s injuries. “Twilight?” she held back a gasp once the door fully opened, seeing the heavily bandaged alicorn.

Twilight shuffled in the comfy bed next to the Codex, failing to form proper words to reply in her current state.

“Are you okay? What all had happened out there?” she closed the door behind her, Luna’s soothing and regal voice filling the room.

“It’s…” she winced at the attempts of memory. “It's a long story.”

The Princess of the Moon sighed. “Listen, Twilight.” she walked by the bed. “I am so thrown with joy that you are alive. However, I need to know everything. Anything about the demons you know. And especially where your friends and Spike went.”

Twilight’s eyes lit up at the mention of the young dragon. “I-Its… Spike died.” she clenched her hooves.

“What happened?” Luna queried, taken aback in surprise.

“Killed, by Kronos.” she felt fury flame in her soul at the name. “A demon, he’s the one leading the invasion.”

Luna murmured at the presentation of another demon leading the Dread Legion. “What did he look like?”

Twilight had trouble finding a description for the monster. “He had a lot of armor, a hook and some sort of magic chainsaw sword.” she set a hoof to her head. “It’s difficult to remember all the details.”

A Marauder. Princess Luna assumed from the description. “And the other five?”

“C-Captured.” she forced out.

Her eyes widened at the statement. Luna did not expect this. They were planning on doing something with the elements. Or else they would have slain the other five mercilessly. “Those monsters, where did they take them?”

“On some floating ship with tentacles attached to it, it was huge and red.” she explained. “Almost as large as Canterlot itself.”

The Princess turned. She needed to tell the Slayer this immediately. “Thank you for your time, Twilight.”

As Luna walked out, a question tore at Twilight, almost forcing her to ask it. “L-Luna.” she stammered a bit. “I have a question.”

The alicorn stopped, turning. “Yes?” her ears perked as she realized just what book sat in bed with the purple princess.

“How much do you really know about what’s going on? I-Is there any hope for us?” she questioned warily.

Luna looked at the spotless ground for a moment. “There is hope, even if dim.” she moved closer. “Canterlot still stands. Even if the Elements are captured, they still live. I have made allies with a powerful friend, capable of unimaginable feats against those monsters.”

Twilight held a tatter of belief that they may make it through thanks to Luna’s statements. “I was… I was wondering about something. Zecora gave me this book talking about the demons, ancient history and these Night Sentinels and… I don’t know if this is real or not. You and Celestia are mentioned in it a lot and it's all written in old Ponish.”

The alicorn gave a moment of thought. Should she tell Twilight the truth? She shook her head. She deserves it at this point. “Yes.”

Twilight swallowed, the revelation surprising her only a little. She always had a small doubt it was false, but her confirmation changed everything. “The book mentions something called the Embedding Process. Something to make a pony stronger, to fight the demons.”

Luna froze at that name. The Embedding Process. She could still remember the screams of ponies that endured it and their states afterwards. “No.”

“Uh, what?” Twilight tilted her ringing head.

The alicorn shook her head. “You will not find that dreadful machine.”

“But Luna! You don’t understand.” she lifted her hooves before herself. “I-I can’t just sit here in this bubble, hiding. That can’t be my life, waiting for something to get better!” Twilight explained desperately. “I’m tired of it. How am I supposed to sit here when everypony suffers outside of Canterlot?”

“You must, for the safety of our kingdom and yours-”

Twilight’s eyebrows furrowed. “No, I can’t! What kind of Princess of Friendship am I, if I can’t even save my own friends?”

Luna clenched her muzzle shut at that statement. Silence filled the room for a moment. “You don’t understand a thing about that machine.”

“I don’t care what it does to me. I will save my friends.” she declared in a determined fashion.

Luna lowered her head. “I cannot force you to stay, however if you truly worry for the fate of Equestria, you would. If the demons find you, it is over.”

“Then they won’t.” Twilight replied.

With that, Luna turned and headed out of the room.

Ringing was brought to Twilight’s ears as the bedroom settled from the conversation. Twilight laid back down on the bed. Even if she now knew where it was, how in Celestia’s name would she get there? She hardly even felt like she could walk now, how would she be able to trek all the way from Canterlot to the Celestial Sea?

A slipgate, perhaps?” the Praeleanthor rumbled in her head.

“Slipgate?” The alicorn queried.

The cube lit with every word spoken atop the windowsill. “A vortex. From my knowledge, every vital location in Equestria has one somewhere. I would be surprised if Canterlot did not.

Twilight looked at the door Luna had just left out of. She drew a long breath, getting out of bed.

What are you doing?” the Soul Cube asked as the injured pony began limping to the door.

“If anyone would know, it’d be Luna.” she declared willfully. The injured pony began following Luna out the door, peeking her head out to see her going down a hall and to a flight of stairs.

She winced at another pang of her head before opening the door fully once Luna had exited the hall.

Don’t forget us.” the Praeleanthor reminded.

Twilight looked at it, remembering the last time she went without the artifact. She groaned, grabbing her saddlebag and cramming the Codex and Soul Cube into it before heading out.

She trotted to the stairway, leaning to see Luna making her way down to the throne room. Once more, after the princess was gone she trailed her. She looked to see where the alicorn was heading, if she was going anywhere of importance anyway.

Twilight knew Luna wouldn’t let her get an inch to that portal, but if she was able to find it and find some way to activate it, she could locate the device and save all her friends. Save Equestria itself.

She watched as the Princess of the Night set her hoof on a button behind the throne room, before the floor descended like an elevator leading to Celestia knows where. That has to be it! She waited for the floor to return before starting after.

The purple alicorn stepped behind the throne room, looking for the thing Luna had pressed. The search was elementary, Twilight easily finding the green light. She gently pushed her hoof into it, feeling the floor beneath her rumble. She looked down, seeing where it led.

Once the elevator reached its destination in the ancient hall, she could hear echoing down it simulating sounds of gunshots, demonic roars and explosions. They did not sound like they took place in the room, however it didn’t make the ghastly appearance of the hallway anymore approachable.

It looked similar to the room she had found the Soul Cube in, dark gray metal all over the place with statues of religious-looking alien creatures. Blue torches were mounted on either side of the hall to light her way. Thankfully, the noises seemed to mask the sound of her movements as she snuck as best she could towards the alicorn.

There it is. A slipgate.” the Soul Cube stated, Twilight spotting the metallic arches in front of the large war-table Luna stood in front of.

As she got closer, she could make out a holographic display on the table, showing what looked like a view of horrifying gore and viscera. The pony kept her sight away from the counter, hiding behind one of the large statues in the hall before the circular room where the table and the princess resided.

It doesn’t look like it’s on. Twilight pointed out.

The Soul Cube rumbled in her bag. “It requires a power source to be activated. The older models, at least. You will need to use your magic.

She gave a moment of thought. And how do I make it take me where I want to go?

Just think about where you wish to be, and it will select a slipgate close enough to your destination.” it explained.

Twilight’s form shivered at the suggestion. She had to use her magic. In this state, it’d be like trying to walk straight through a brick wall. It felt like her horn was a huge slab at the tip of her head, weighing her down and blocking any efforts of the supernatural.

But she had to do it. She must push through that wall. Somehow, some way. The princess clutched her eyes shut, sitting down as her horn began sparkling slightly. She imagined in her mind, herself before a large brick wall in front of her.

Her imaginary self reached a hoof to it, setting the limb on the cold brick. She pushed forward, feeling it remain on the surface. Twilight set her hoof back to the black floor, void surrounding every inch of whatever this place was besides the obstacle in front of her.

She thought of her friends, her home. Their smiles and small snickers when she’d read too much, or greet them with a waving hoof. The warm, almost cloudless days of Ponyville. The comforting castle she resided in everyday. Memories comforting like a warm s’more or hot cocoa.

When she would help Applejack at Sweet Apple Acres, the smile on her freckled muzzle when she’d lift dozens of apples right off the trees with her magic. Twilight returned the hoof onto the wall, visions of her friends surrounding her as she began applying pressure.

The cocky grin Rainbow Dash flashed when she would beat her mercilessly in a race through the sky. The cheers of victory from her as Twilight seeked rest on a cloud, dazed.

That joyful smile that beamed from Pinkie Pie when she would come by to aid with a comically large cake too big for any magicless mare to guide out of Sugarcube Corner.

A giddy laugh of excitement from the pristinely-coated Rarity, enjoying the sight of her nerdy alicorn friend dressed so posh in a fine dress at the Boutique. She grunted a little as she pushed further into the slabs.

The gentle simper of Fluttershy as she let Twilight stroke her hoof across the back of a cute beaver. Dozens of wholesome beasts around her, greeting with chitters and yaps.

The many memories of Spike. Coming out of that egg, serving her those books way too large for his body, dining on crystals like nothing else, crushing over Rarity in a typically boyish way. Her foreleg began shaking as she forced ahead, lifting her left foreleg to join in the pressure.

“Nnngh!” Twilight had gone through so much so far, however she was going to fix it. All of it.

The bricks cracked slightly at her memory-induced anger.

It didn’t matter how many walls of demonic steel hid her best friends from her, she wouldn’t let anything stop her.

Her limbs were shaking furiously as she felt her muscles burn hot from the exertions.

Not any towering demon or pesty beast. Not a king or a queen. Not a legion of savage horrors. Not Kronos. Nothing would stop her now.

It felt as if her hoofs would grind into dust as she began imagining the locality of the EPD. Whether above or below water. It did not matter. She would find a way in there, to become stronger, for them.

She should have been there for them, all of them. Instead she watched, and pitifully tried, and assumed that just because she was some princess that she would be stronger. Twilight had failed them, all of them. Every single subject under her rule.

It felt as though all the bones lining her legs began cracking, every muscle tearing. It did not matter to her though. Dust began shivering from the wall as it was shaken by her efforts.

Twilight deserved any pain coming her way, every ounce of agony. It didn’t matter the pain or the torture, just that she was making those things suffer too. She hated them so much. Every ounce, every fiber, every bit of soul, everything in her desired the end of those things and the safety of her people.

It didn’t matter how. Hoof or spell, blade or spear, fall or crush, mud or water, slice or stab, rip or tear. She would do anything to save them.

The sound of crumbling tore through her mind, the wall collapsing at her hoofs. Her eyes shot open, the alicorn breathing heavily as she gazed at the violet colored vortex within the room Luna resided in.

She was sweating profusely as the aura faded from her horn. Her eyelids felt heavy and her brain felt like two pencils had been jammed into it from either ear. Twilight felt weak and tired, physically at least. Mentally, she was more alive than the most vibrant of rainforests.

Luna stared at the vortex in confusion. “Strange, I did not power the slipgate…” she turned to find the source, jumping back at the sight of the injured princess rushing the swirling purple.

Before she could exclaim a word to stop the princess, Twilight had disappeared into the open portal.

PreviousChapters Next