• Published 31st Aug 2021
  • 3,347 Views, 2,062 Comments

We don't go to Sub-Level Five - RadBunny



Astral Sentinel is just a typical security guard. The job pays well, has decent hours, and it's basically glorified customer service. There was just one odd thing stamped on the job description. Never ask about Sub-Level Five, ever.

  • ...
15
 2,062
 3,347

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 120: Sunlight

Sassi didn’t know what to think, let alone what to do.

As soon as she had galloped up the Silo’s stairs with the backup squads, her heart had dropped into her hooves. Astral was lying next to a massive rifle, blood soaking into the sand as the unconscious Thestral was tended to by multiple medics.

The pair had immediately been whisked away to a safe distance, then transported to a specialty wing in Canterlot’s royal hospital. It was a flurry of procedures involving decontamination, isolation, evaluation, and the best surgeons and medical staff in Equestria tending to Astral.

Sassi would have been impressed, fully overwhelmed at any other time. She was free, out of the Silos and in Canterlot of all places. The mare was in the presence of a Princess no less, one who had already offered to give her whatever the mare needed or wanted. The best doctors, magic, and medical technology were all at her disposal.

And yet somehow none of it mattered.

The decontamination had wrapped up without issue. Considering no scans or bloodwork turned up anything nasty, she had then been led to where Astral’s room was. And there she sat, unable to move. The past few hours were a fuzzy mess of worry and fear. It was only her training that let Sassi move mechanically here and there.

She barely registered a purple figure sitting down next to her. The doctors had already told her about Astral’s condition. Twilight didn’t say anything at first.

“There’s nothing…?” Sassi asked, the Princess shaking her head.

“I’ve looked him over a dozen times. It’s now a waiting game. Astral’s been saturated with so much magic any healing spells would do more damage; it’s already breaking down his body,” Twilight explained. “That’s even truer after he moved around and powered the healing crystals himself. I even asked Director Shield if they had anything to help. But the saturation means it’s a waiting game. The outlook is…” her words drifted off at the sharp glare from Sassi to cut off any beating around the bush.

“Alright, it’s not good. I’m sorry, Sassi. But all we can do is wait. He’s got to heal on his own. Thankfully his body is stronger due to the RASP modifications, but now is fighting physical and magical wounds that…” her words drifted off, the Princess’s tone softening. “I promise I’m still looking into more options.”

Sassi hated how hot tears sprang to her eyes at that, the mare taking a few deep breaths. She appreciated the candor but at the same time…

I wish you had lied to at least give me that. Yet I wouldn’t have believed you. What is worse? I don’t know.

But thank you for at least being honest.

“Do you want me to send for your dad? He’s been asking about you.”

Twilight’s shoulders slumped as Sassi shook her head, bangs falling in front of her face.

“Not yet. But thank you, Princess,” the Thestral said softly. “Just please tell him that I’m ok. I just need to process all of this first.”

“I’ll do that. Your hospital room is right next to Astral’s. There’s food and drink if you want.”

Sassi nodded, standing up, but the mare could only take a step or two forwards. Part of her was consumed with embarrassment, fear flooding her frame.

But, like so many other things, she just didn’t care.

“Can you stay?” Sassi whispered. “Just for a bit?”

A kind smile and a nod were Twilight’s reply, the two of them walking into the room. Astral was situated on a plush hospital bed, tubes down his throat along with entering and exiting his torso and abdomen to drain the puncture wounds. A dozen sensors were hooked up across his body, multiple digital monitors displaying his vitals. The healing crystals still embedded in his body were cracked from their overload earlier, but magic still gently glowed in their depths.

Sassi had seen bodies stacked like logs, gore and blood sprayed across the floor as viscera decorated walls and ceilings. She hadn’t even flinched then. And yet the sight of the stallion she loved hooked up to so many machines…

She felt tears trickling down her cheeks. The Thestral sat down with a *thump*, trying to wipe the rebellious moisture away.

I can’t even sense him. It’s all quiet.

There was a bit of movement. Twilight offered a wing, but paused. Sassi could appreciate the thought. Touch was a sensitive subject after all. And yet now, all the Thestral could do was nod, enjoying at least a comforting touch over her shoulder as she cried.

What do I do?


The day was a blur. Twilight stayed with Sassi for a time, the Thestral eventually composing herself to thank the Princess. The food in her own room was delicious and yet the mare couldn’t bring herself to be excited about any of it. She had everything she wanted, and nothing at all.

It was a terrifying realization. What good was being free if she was alone? If the one pony who could understand her was…

The worst part of it was that Sassi couldn’t do anything. Nothing she could offer was of any use. Her mind, her strength, her knowledge; none of it held any value to help Astral. To say it was demoralizing and maddening was an understatement.

Thankfully, business helped distract her. Twilight had, in her kind way, told Sassi she didn’t have to, but writing or dictating a formal report would be immensely helpful. Both for record-keeping, research, and a potential memoir.

Twilight also made it clear that Sassi’s accounts would add to the mountain of evidence for criminal charges. Sassi could do that. Formal reports were something where the mare could just run on autopilot, so she did. Besides, talking about her life before meeting Astral was easier.

The interviewers were at least, tactful. No unnecessary questions, simply clarifying events as Sassi reported them. Growing up in the Silo, her training, all of it.

It was almost soothing, knowing that there was an official account of her life somewhere. The world would know the horrors of the Silos. It was a way to help show that, for whatever it was worth, the pretty and safe bubble of Equestria was, at best, an ignorant effort of normalcy.

That occupied her for the first day. Or was it two?

According to Twilight, Sassi was more out of it than she thought. For three days she followed a simple schedule. Wake up, and then alternate between medical checks and debriefing. Quite a few scientists wanted to talk about the RASP armor and other technology she had used; Sassi was happy to oblige.

It wasn’t about Astral. That made it easy to talk about. It also sped along the development of a promised RASP suit for her own use.

On the third night and after the usual medical check, the mare fell asleep next to Astral. She had tried briefly to sleep in her own room, but it just felt wrong.

Yet the checks showed that the mare was fine other than extreme stress and trauma-related after-affects, both physical and psychological. The healing regimen was a low-stress lifestyle and heavy-duty supplements. Well, that, rest, and future therapy.

Go figure.

On the fourth day, Sassi found her route back to the room temporarily blocked after a debriefing. The guard simply shrugged, saying Astral’s parents were visiting.

That raised a yellow flag in Sassi’s mind, but she meandered back to the cafeteria for an hour or two. It made sense they’d want to be alone with him. But why wait three days to see him?

She didn’t have the energy to think about it. Other than that, the rest of the day bled together like the others. On the fifth day, Sassi received a simple request, one that she granted. Flask wanted to see her.

It seemed like a lifetime ago that the mare had last spoke to him. The last communication between them directly had been a note where the stallion had prayed that Sassi didn’t hate him.

Maybe I did. Briefly, when he told me the truth about who I was and what role he played. But that was so many years ago.

But the stallion had tried to do the right thing in a world where evil thrived. That meant something.

Without him, I’d still be a prisoner, a slave to the Company. I’d never have met Astral. I’d never have been free.

I could never hate him. He’s my dad, and he tried to do the right thing.

The stallion was flanked by two guards, and he sat down in front of the table, clearly nervous. Despite that, a few tears trickled from Flask’s eyes as he looked at his daughter.

“I’m glad to s-see you’re ok, Sassi,” he whispered, clearly struggling to maintain his composure.

Even with the traumatic fog in her mind, Sassi knew exactly what to do. She promptly trotted forwards and wrapped her father up in a tight hug.

“It’s good to see you, Dad,” she whispered. Her words unlocked Flasks’ emotions, the stallion crying as he hugged his daughter back.

“I didn’t think you’d ever want to see me again,” he said, Sassi shaking her head as they separated.

“I never hated you,” she said firmly, confusion written across Flask’s face. “Well, ok, maybe briefly when you told me everything about your involvement. But once I understood the whole picture? No. It was just a giant ball of messed-up life. But that wasn’t on you.”

“It is though,” he said, not able to meet her gaze. “I’ve not been a good pony.”

“You can think that, but last I checked, I’m free because of you, and I also found the love of my life.”

That made Flask’s head lift.

“So as far as I’m concerned, you made some massive mistakes. Big ones. But you’ve done a pretty good job in trying to fix them. That includes raising me how you did. I don’t hold anything against you for doing your best. I’m certainly still glad that you’re my dad.”

A few more silent tears crept down Flask’s face at that, the stallion only able to nod ever so slightly. No doubt they’d have another, more in-depth conversation later.

For now, they simply were able to enjoy a light breakfast, in both food and talk. Sassi actually felt a genuine smile on her face at hearing her father’s current predicament; serving as a crucial witness and data source for dismantling the company, and helping with research concerning the Company’s technology. Said developments were shared with other nations, so there wouldn’t be a monopoly on them.

At least they’re trying to avoid mistakes, and my Dad is doing his best to fix past ones.

“Just let me know if you want to talk more, Sassi,” Flask said as they finished their meal. “You’ve got bigger priorities than me. I’ll be here. I’m just thankful you’re willing t-to…” his voice drifted off, the stallion snapping out of it as Sassi threw an ice cube at him.

“You’ve really got to start a daily mantra, Dad,” Sassi said, a smile twitching on her face. “Something like “my daughter doesn’t hate me, and I’m working on being a better pony.” I dunno, make something up.”

He managed to laugh, Flask nodding.
“I can do that. I’m just glad you’re ok.”

They parted with a hug, the mare managing to enjoy the comfort of someone she trusted. It meant a lot more right now, after all.

Walking back to the room, Sassi was temporarily stopped at the door, a doctor nearly throwing a clipboard at the earth pony nurse doing so.

“You’re really going to try and stop her? The Princess herself told you what to do. Shred it and be done,” the doctor growled, the meek nurse trotting out. “Sorry about that, Sassi. Bit of a communications mix-up.”

“Dare I ask what about?” the mare said, the doctor wincing.

“I don’t know much. Something about Astral’s parents not wanting you near him. We were told specifically to ignore such things. The Princess said to talk to her about it. It shouldn’t have even gotten this far.”

Sassi almost burst out laughing; the idea was ludicrous.

“Well, I guess I’ll give the Princess a call.”

After the doctor left, Sassi picked up a small radio from her saddlebags. Twilight had correctly assumed she’d be more comfortable with a military-style method of communication than the newfangled earpieces or phones they had now.

The Princess was a smart cookie; Sassi could appreciate that much.

“This is Sassi. I had a question for the Princess. There’s something about Astral’s parents not wanting me to be near him. The doctor said she could explain it.”

“Stand by,” an operator’s voice said.

Within a minute, an Alicorn appeared in the room with a flash of magic, a regretful expression on her face.

“I was worried something might happen,” Twilight sighed. “Flask and Astral’s parents met while you all were in the Silos. He’d be happy to explain further, but the exchange was…heated.”

“Do tell?”

It only took a few minutes, Sassi’s shoulders finally slumping as Twilight finished the brief explanation.

“I wish I could say that I was surprised,” she admitted. “But almost all the creatures in my life saw me as an “it”. Perhaps I was too hopeful about his parents. But from what he told me, it lines up with their way of thinking.”

“I’m doing everything I can to make sure their interference is nonexistent. They have rights as parents to be able to see him privately, of course. But not to keep you away. Not in this case.”

“Well, thank you for telling me. At least I know what to expect if I see them,” Sassi sighed.

The Princess nodded, vanishing in a flash.

Oddly, Sassi barely felt anything as she settled down to read the news for a bit before the evening briefings. She already didn’t have a good baseline for his parents. This just made it easier to classify whether they’d be friends. In this case, not at all.

That made things easy.


The next morning after breakfast, Sassi pit-stopped by Astral’s room, her chest constricting as she saw multiple doctors around him. They looked her way, and the mare could see the sorrow in their eyes even before she read the digital displays.

“He’s not doing well, is he?” she asked, one of the unicorns shaking their head.

“It’ll be hit or miss for a while though,” an earth pony mare piped up. “A few bad days don’t mean they’re all going to be bad.”

Sassi appreciated the optimism, but she could read the monitors well enough.

The various staff double-checked the medications, setting out Sassi’s pills to the side before leaving her be. Sassi waited a few moments, then took a look at Astral’s chart on the end of the bed. As she suspected, it wasn’t good, not at all. What was written came off as rather optimistic. True, it had barely been a week. But with every day indicating downward-trending vitals…

There was only one, unwritten conclusion to that. Sassi wasn’t stupid, especially when the nitty-gritty of Astral’s bodily functions were so dire.

This isn’t just a bad day. Astral’s body can’t keep up. The magic is breaking him down. He’s fading, and fast.

Astral won’t last more than a few more days if that.

He’s dying.

She downed her pills mechanically, the Thestral shaking her head. Feeling helpless had nearly paralyzed her the first day. But it had faded when there was literally nothing to be done but wait.

Maybe if we still had that reactor. But they said magic wouldn’t help anymore. It kept him alive this long. Then again, it wasn’t just normal Equestrian changeling magic. The reactor itself was only able to even work all thanks to-

Sassi’s heartbeat thudded in her ears. It was a long shot, and yet at the same time, stranger things had happened. Trotted speedily back to her room, she made a beeline towards one of the metal tables. The contents of their saddlebags had been emptied onto it (after being scanned and decontaminated, of course. A withered, braided vine made Sassi’s eyes tear up-

There!

Two crystals lay amidst the items, still glowing softly. The mare picked them up, reading the inscriptions.

‘Sassi
Deadly Primrose
Flower that blooms in the darkest of nights.
The strongest creature I’ve ever met.’

‘Astral Sentinel
Guardian of the Stars
My first pony friend.’

“Joro,” she whispered, tears brimming in her eyes. She picked up a small, military radio with shaking hooves.

“This is Sassi Satin. I need to speak to Princess Twilight. Please!”

There wasn’t even a reply. With a snap of magic, the alicorn appeared in the room. Her concerned expression faded, ears perking up at seeing the objects in Sassi’s grip.

“Princess, can you send a message to the Limbo realm?” Sassi asked, her voice shaking. “I don’t know about arcane theory like you do. But these came from Queen Joro. They have to have some sort of magical signature to get a message to her, right? Just in her general area?”

Twilight examined the object, a wide smile breaking across her face.
“I can most certainly do that. What do you want to say?” the mare summoned a pen and paper, levitating it over to Sassi.

The Thestral kept it brief.

“High Queen Joro,

This is Sassi Satin. We escaped. But Astral is dying. He was attacked. His body is failing, and healing spells can’t work; he’s saturated with magic. Not even the Princess can do anything.

Can you help him? Please, I’ll give you anything.

-Sassi.”

The message was sent with a rather fierce pop of magic, Sassi taking a few deep breaths. The allure of hope was intoxicating. But that just set her up for even a greater fall. It always did.

At least, until she had met Astral.

Twilight waited with her, the mare examining the Limbo objects with a keen eye. Sassi couldn’t help but smile ever so slightly. Try as the Princess might, she couldn’t keep the egghead disguised for long.

“It might be a while,” Sassi finally said. “Joro said time moves differently in Limbo.”

Setting the two gifts back onto the table, Twilight nodded in agreement.
“I’m happy to wait with you as long as I can. When I have to leave, I’m just a radio call-”

The mare stopped talking, her horn abruptly glowing.

A greenish-black portal formed in the center of the room and ejected two objects. The first was a neatly-wrapped paper. The second was a sturdy, cooler-sized, wooden box.

Sassi unwrapped the note with shaking hooves. Tears blurred her vision as she read.

“Sassi Satin,

Astral is the first pony who I was honored to call a friend. I have not forgotten him, nor you. I’m overjoyed to hear you escaped that place.

To your request; I’m sending a device that will help. I’ve enclosed instructions on how to use it. Unfortunately, I can’t personally use any of the magic from Limbo. I’m not strong enough to do that yet or travel to give my aid.

But the device I’ve sent converts energy into healing magic in a way that’s different from that in your world. It can save even the most gravely wounded creature in my realm from death, provided I focus on the bond I share with them. The Company used its designs to create some sort of healing system for the armor. Such a magic exists in your world in some form, but that’s all I know. I don’t know what they called it.

This device should surpass whatever device the company made and will operate independently of whatever magic already is trying to help Astral, as it’s from Limbo. As a side effect, it very well may neutralize the toxic levels of your realm’s magic within Astral’s body.

Concerning the last part of your letter, I must refuse. I will never accept something as payment from you or Astral. My kingdom is always open to you, as I owe both my life and that of my hive to you.

I’m honored I can repay a sliver of the debt I owe.

Please let me know when he wakes up and if I can be of any further help. This scroll will return to me after you sign your name and message. I look forward to hearing from you when he recovers.

Your friend,
High Queen Joro.”

With a firm push, Sassi opened the wooden box, and she couldn’t stop herself from crying. Twilight let out a surprised yelp as Sassi abruptly wrapped her up in a hug, the Alicorn happily returning the gesture before the Thestral stepped away, wiping her eyes.

Sassi didn’t know what the instructions were yet, but the shape of the device was easily recognizable. Large golden lettering was stenciled across the metal orb.

“Love Dynamo, Mk 72, Iteration 2.”

Author's Note:

:yay:

PreviousChapters Next