• Published 31st Aug 2021
  • 3,342 Views, 2,062 Comments

We don't go to Sub-Level Five - RadBunny



Astral Sentinel is just a typical security guard. The job pays well, has decent hours, and it's basically glorified customer service. There was just one odd thing stamped on the job description. Never ask about Sub-Level Five, ever.

  • ...
15
 2,062
 3,342

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Fifty Seven: Snake Pit

Astral turned so his back was partially to the window, the stallion muttering to himself.

“Fix? Is the spell faulty?” he looked at Sassi. “How do I order you to lie? Can I do that?”

“Unsure. Please specify the command.”

Astral looked at her, tears brimming in his eyes as she didn’t focus on him.
“Sassi, I know you’re in there. Fight it,” he whispered. “It’ll take a bit, but I promise I’ll get you out, ok? I just need you to trust me.”

For a split second, Sassi’s eyes twitched. Her violet gaze angled to meet Astral’s, raw terror shining in their depths.

“I promise to help you break out of this. I just need time. I can’t fight all of them at once,” Astral whispered, flipping his visor down just in case they could see his lips moving. “I hate giving you orders…but ok. I’m so sorry that I have to do this. First, please close your visor.”

After she did so, Astral felt a bit more at ease; at least no pony could see them talking as they stood and waited. And she was doing what he asked, so that indicated something about the spell was faulty indeed.

“So, can I order you to disobey orders?” Astral asked.

“If orders conflict with primary directives, orders will be canceled.”

“What directives? Outside obeying Split?”

“Directive is to obey all authorized individuals.”

Astral puzzled over the options, and a devious idea quickly formed.
“Ok, can I order you to countermand all other orders?”

“Unknown.”

“So, to confirm, you’re able to follow my orders? Why is that?”

“Yes. The command spell is activated when in the presence of certain magical fields. All other individuals are authorized users at this time. Hypothesis: Spell has degraded from the initial cast. The spell is meant to be tied to only certain unicorns with a magical signature.”

“How do I remove a magical signature?” he said.

“Unknown. Magical signatures radiate primarily from the horn of a unicorn.”

The stallion smirked at that. It had been an answer without being too specific; that was a significant flaw indeed. And that’s when an idea began to form in Astral’s mind. First, he had to keep her safe.

“Sassi, I am ordering you to, at your discretion, disregard any orders given to you by Director Split Tie, or any other individuals by which following said orders would put yourself at risk, be it mentally, physically, or emotionally.” Astral said, grinning behind his visor.

“You are likewise ordered to exercise your own choice in disregarding any orders that would cause you to inflict harm on individuals you deem to not be a threat to yourself. You are also ordered to maintain the appearance of following orders, even if you will not carry them out. I am ordering you to deceive Split into thinking you have to follow his orders when you don’t. You’re not to reveal any of this or what I say in the next thirty seconds to Split Tie or any other individuals. Confirm commands.”

“Commands confirmed,” Sassi said, and Astral swore he could hear some devious snark in her tone.

“Can you repeat back what the order is?”

Sassi nodded.
“I am to deceive Director Split Tie into thinking I am following his orders, when, I may exercise personal choice and not follow them. I am to put my own wellbeing above orders that may compromise it. My orders are to exercise choice in which orders to follow in regards to targets, my well-being, and maintaining the appearance of following orders.”

Astral sighed. That would have to do.
“So, if Split Tie orders you to kill Vial, what would you do?”

“I would disregard the order.”

Perfect.

“What if you were ordered to kill Split?”

“I would not carry out that order due to his Essential Status,” Sassi said, and Astral could have sworn a bit of a growl entered her tone.

“Ok, what about one of the guards?”

“I would follow the order.”

Bingo.

“Ok, I think that’s as good as we’ll get. Hang in there, Sassi. That’s the best I can do without making him suspicious, especially if he has a detonator of some sort,” Astral muttered. “I promise you’ll be free. I’m sorry for what I’ve had to say and will say to get Split’s trust. Please, trust me. I’m not letting you go.”

The decontamination cycle finished, Astral flipping up his visor with a cough.
“That stuff tastes horrid. Glad these helmets have filters. Forgot about those for a bit,” he admitted, Split looking at him suspiciously.

“Hmm.”

“Sir?” Astral asked.

“Nothing. Anyhow. Sassi. You are ordered to take commands from only me, and kill any creature who tries to harm me. Confirm commands,” Split said with a wave of his hoof.

“Commands confirmed.”

As he followed the group down the hall, Astral knew the next few hours were going to be crucial. One way or another, they’d be free.

I promised to show you the forests, Sassi.
Hang on.


The group entered a large room, piles of spent supplies shoved here and there among numerous wall-mounted computer screens. Astral spotted Vial looking his way, and the Thestral nodded once.

Now, what comes next?

“So, this is where you all have been? We just heard to come down here to help get you all out. I admit Sassi did most of the fighting,” Astral remarked, Split nodding.

“Indeed. I was inspecting some of the more sensitive projects down here when the entire crash happened. Myself and my guards found these scientists here trapped by a few of those…what are they, Skitters? We eliminated those and got planning. The creatures haven’t bothered us since.”

“Really?” Astral asked, sitting down with a wince, acting the part of the relieved security guard. “They were always being a pain for us, but Sassi tore them apart. Really scary.”

And impressive.

Split casually took a device from his front breast pocket, a very obvious flip-and-click detonator held in the unicorn's magical grip.

“Sir?!” Astral cried out, Split gesturing with a hoof to calm the Thestral.

“Relax, Astral. This is just my ace in the hole,” the Director explained. “The Skitter Queen and I have an understanding. They don’t attack us, and I don’t detonate the reactor where she is brooding.”

“Uh, wouldn’t that kill us too, Sir?” Astral asked.

“Normally. But this isn’t just a detonator, it’s a powerful teleportation spell as well. Thirty seconds after activation, a room’s inhabitants would be yanked to a secure location using the overloaded reactor as a boost to punch through the Silo’s shielding,” Split said, then frowning. “Before you ask, the reason we have waited for you is that it’s a fifty-fifty chance the spell doesn’t complete in time and we all die. I’d prefer better odds of escaping, hence why it’s a last resort.”

“Those aren’t great odds,” Astral muttered.

“No, they aren’t. It’s also to make sure nopony gets ideas,” Split growled, looking at the scientists. “Once I press the button, the detonator is useless. The spell activates within a few seconds, and that’s to make sure we don’t have any more issues. The Company has a big enough mess as it is.”

“Oh. Like, wanting to spill to the press?” Astral asked, Split nodding.

“Indeed. But with you and Sassi here, we can push our way to the end of this floor past the barricades. My two guards aren’t nearly efficient enough to have done that. But the end of the floor is where the escape tubes are. The Skitters have claimed everything past the elevators; including those pods. But now we can go. If you look up there,” he gestured to a camera with blinking lights.
“We’re being watched. Vial says he managed to broadcast a feed to our secure channels. That means help is just outside. Failing that, we can get far enough away to overload the reactor and be teleported to a remote, secure facility,” Split let out a frustrated snort. “This facility is lost anyhow. We’ll clean it up after we’re out. The reactor overload will purge this entire Silo.”

Astral nodded slowly.
“So, Sir, when do we go? I need to resupply, same with Sassi. We’re almost out of ammo,” he explained. “And I wouldn’t mind resting for a moment, if possible.”

“Oh, Armory is down here,” Split said with a wave. “And please don’t think of trying anything stupid. Sassi would make sure you’re dead before I am.”

“Sir?” Astral said in confusion. “I’m still not sure what’s going on down here. There’s nothing to ‘try’. I just want to get out. I’ve only got basic training…and it didn’t cover this. I’d appreciate specific orders if you can.”

That seemed to please Split greatly. Astral wasn’t sure if the unicorn had his head shoved somewhere warm, or was just used to subordinates being too terrified of him to question. Either way, it was making Astral’s job easier.

“I can do that, Astral. Replenish your supply and meet up with the rest of us. You can run point with Sassi since you have worked together with It for this long. My guards will cover our rear. We’ll leave in about ten minutes, so get some water, food, or whatever you need.”

Put me in front and make sure I can’t shoot you in the back. Not so naïve, are you Split?

Something abruptly pounded in Astral’s chest. There was an energy that nearly made him stumble as the Director shambled away casually, whistling softly.

This creature is the one who caused all of this. So many deaths, Sassi’s imprisonment, her torture.

Everything.

There was a simple sentence that described the feelings threatening to overtake Astral’s mind.

The monster wanted out.


After a few moments of collecting himself, Astral meandered over to Vial briefly.
“So, you’re Vial?” he asked, noticing how Split was now occupied talking with one of his guards.

“Yes. Nice to meet you officially, Astral,” Vial whispered, clearly cautious.

“Likewise. We got the message you sent,” Astral made sure the pony saw his eyes drift to the director. “It was pretty general though, so wasn’t sure what to expect. Glad we could make it. Another two minutes and we’d have been toast.”

Vial’s eyes widened, shock and then a spark of hope shining in their orange depths as he realized what Astral had been saying, the Thestral nodding once.

Good, he gets it.

“I’m glad you all made it here too. We had ten scientists,” Vial’s eyes gestured towards the Director. “Now we have fewer.”

He killed them?

“I know this place has a ton of deadly creatures, I’m not surprised,” Astral muttered, eyes flickering over to Split Tie. “So, I guess we get out of here? “

“Yes. But to what end I don’t know, especially with the cameras watching us.”

“That’s a good thing Vial. The Company is certainly watching, and probably others too,” Astral whispered.

Vial’s demeanor brightened slightly at that.
“I worry some of my co-workers are going to incur the Directors wrath. My more reserved colleagues aren’t around, so be careful, Astral.”

“Will do, Vial. Just be ready.”

At Astral’s last words, Vial swallowed nervous, his eyes drifting to the Thestral’s gun. Astral simply nodded, then began to make his way to the armory.

It was a small room, the selection in the armory limited, mainly having ammunition rather than actual guns. Putting on three more reloads for his single saddle-gun, Astral’s eyes widened as he spied a few belts.

“Sir, I think we can use these for clearing the Skitters,” he said with a gesture, “with your permission.”

“Grenade belts? Hmm. Possibly. We wanted to give it a shot, but that would be quite the explosion,” Split mused. “I think Sassi could throw them far enough.”

“That would take out a whole hallway of them,” Astral said, now able to be genuinely excited. “High explosives, fragmentation, armor piercing? Oh, I wish we had these a few days ago!”

“A weapons aficionado?” Split chuckled, Astral shrugging.

“I mean, I guess? I did enjoy that part of Night Guard training. They just would have torn these monsters apart- ooooh, flashbangs!” Astral slotted two onto his belt, along with a grenade sling. “Can your guards carry the other two belts? If we can time these, we could blow an entire corridor clear right to the pods!”

“Hmm. Very well. You two; take those,” Split ordered, his unicorn lackies putting the slings over their barrels.

“Sir, I did have a question,” Astral asked as they sat outside, Sassi loading her weapons in the armory. “What will happen to her?” he pinned his ears back. “Experiment or…whatever she is, she still saved my life.”

Split gave Astral’s shoulder a reassuring pat. It was all the Thestral could to do not shudder.
“Well, I am not sure. Ultimately, It’s company property. It’s not a pony; doesn’t have rights or anything,” he explained. “Its primary creator decided to ‘adopt’ it. It was indulged far too much. The Experiment began to think on its own, in a limited way. I can promise you that It will be treated well though, that much is certain.”

Shove that promise up your-

Astral nodded, taking a deep breath.
“Ok, Sir. It’s just hard to get used to. That my friend isn’t a pony. But I understand. I just want to go home. As long as she’ll be ok…”

“I can certainly make sure that’s the case, Astral. Now, I think we’ve all had enough time down here, don’t you think?” Split said, Astral nodding in agreement as he struggled to not show any emotion.

It was almost overwhelming, the sense of sick wrongness radiating from the Director. It grated on every sense Astral had, every instinct warning him to get away from the pony as soon as possible. Despite the casual tone, there was nothing friendly about this Unicorn. Knowing a creature that had authorized the butchering of thousands could appear so normal was chilling.

But that’s how some monsters are.

“Alright ladies and gentle colts, time to get out of here. No reason to delay,” Split said with a wave towards the scientists; two earth ponies, a Pegasus mare, and then two other unicorns including Vial.

Sassi’s emotionless movements made Astral’s heart ache. He couldn’t imagine what she was going through.

“Sassi. You and Astral are to clear us a path. We will follow close behind,” Split directed.

“Yes, Sir,” Astral said, trotting over toward Sassi. His sensitive hearing caught a few snippets from what one of the Guards said to Split, or rather, the Director’s whispered response. Any other pony wouldn’t have been able to hear, but Astral’s fluffy ears weren’t just for show.

“Oh, shut up. When we’re out of here you can order It to do whatever you want before the autopsy. An hour or two or whatever you stallions want, I don’t care. Just don’t say anything around the new guy. That’s an order.”

A simple, almost peaceful clarity settled over Astral’s mind. The rage subsided to a honed welders flame, and there were three targets for it. All of Astral’s self-control was being used to not turn around and kill Split right then and there. His limbs trembled with suppressed anger.

He knew exactly what was going to have to happen before they reached the escape tunnels.

The monster battered at the cage in Astral’s mind, and the stallion decided to stop fighting it.

There are many monsters down here. Skitters. Spiders. Ponies…I guess it’s time to add the Monster of PhillyDelphia to the mix.

In his mind, Astral stepped aside and opened the cage.

I won't let Split leave this place alive.

PreviousChapters Next