• Published 31st Aug 2021
  • 3,347 Views, 2,062 Comments

We don't go to Sub-Level Five - RadBunny



Astral Sentinel is just a typical security guard. The job pays well, has decent hours, and it's basically glorified customer service. There was just one odd thing stamped on the job description. Never ask about Sub-Level Five, ever.

  • ...
15
 2,062
 3,347

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 116: Tethered

Number Two stared at them for a while longer before letting out a disinterested grunt and vanishing. Metal screeched and groaned as it forced its way out and downwards. It didn’t help matters that the motion tracker remained clear the entire time.

The Thestrals continued to stare. They had to cross in front of the grates regardless.

Astral casually reached up to pull the grenade off his shoulder, looking at Sassi.
“I vote we make sure that thing is gone, even though…” his words trailed off, the mare doing the same.

“Ditto. That thing has proven to be sneaky. If we heard it leaving, it wants us to hear it.”

They chucked the grenades into the vents after counting a second or two. With a burst of movement, the pair dashed past the open grates after the explosives detonated. There weren’t any other sounds other than the pitter-patter of metal from the fragmentation of the vents.

“Ok. So. That was terrifying,” Astral said, now wobbling on his hooves as they walked. “So that’s Number Two.”

“The AI couldn’t even get a scan of it. But that head and shoulders, it looked like some kind of giant sloth.”

“That doesn’t make it any better.”

“No, it doesn’t.”

The fleshy tendrils continued to cover the walls and ceiling as they pushed onwards. There weren’t any more signs of a natural-like forest, only the sickly, pulsating mass of something.

“Finally, some good news,” Sassi said, gesturing at the sign next to the staircase ahead. “Looks like they moved the backup reactor controls.”

“It’s right below us?”

She nodded happily, the two of them creeping into the stairwell. They could even see the entrance to the next floor!

“Bingo. Even if it’s not intact, there’s another backup on the same floor.

They trotted down the stairs, Sassi being the first to take a look.

“Well, let’s see where these controls…oh,”

“That doesn’t sound good,” Astral muttered, stumbling down to stand next to her. “Oh.”

The floor looked perfectly normal for about ten paces. Then, a multi-room-sized hole was eaten away by acid dripping down from above. Bits of tile rained down from above, a dark abyss looming over where only spotty metal could be seen. Holes from the acid pockmarked the surface.

Partially dissolved office equipment dotted the edges of the gaping hole, sparking wires flashing this way and that amid the surprisingly-bright emergency lighting. With the tile either dissolved or having fallen, a spiderweb of partially-intact steel girders spread out in front of the pair. A few of the supports groaned, others visibly sagging and cracked.

Far below them, after at least a drop of six floors, was the top of a massive reactor.


Astral sat down, blowing out a tired breath. The reactor below them hummed, three rods surrounding a central, larger vertical cylinder that glowed a cheerful yellow in the darkness.

“Well. Good news and bad news time,” Sassi said, having taken a few minutes to survey the few areas to the left and right.

At least the ones they could walk to.

“I could use some good news.”

“Well, the backup controls are in perfect condition and right over here across the room. They appear to be tuned specifically for reactor shutdown and energy flow. We lucked out on the console they used.” The mare pointed across the chasm, where a large, intact console was visible. There were multiple large levers, knobs, and thankfully non-digital instruments diligently humming away. “They perfectly match the instructions the Princess sent.”

“And the bad news?”

She raised an eyebrow, pointing to the massive hole.
“Acid from those stupid flowers is still trickling down. I don’t know if the suit shields can handle it. And we’ll both need to get to the console and operate it.”

“What?!”

Sitting down next to him, Sassi shook her head. Astral took the opportunity to lean against her, unease starting to gnaw away at him.

“The reactor controls are going to have both a magical and physical failsafe. One pony can’t shut it all down, or make it overload. You have to press the buttons or levers at the same time, and stand in specific spots,” the mare said with a frustrated sigh. “I just looked over the instructions again. I read through it once when the Princess first sent it; there are even three types of control consoles that might have been installed. All of them require two ponies. It’s a simple analog procedure, but it needs two creatures.”

“I really don’t like the number two, right now.”

Letting out a humorless chuckle, Sassi could only nod in agreement.

“Ditto. But let me go first to test things,” she said, then let out a frustrated sigh. “If not for the acid and the armor, I could just fly over. But trading the latter leaves you open to the former.”

“I vote we don’t fly through the acid,” her stallion grumbled. “And to be honest, Sas. I don’t know if I can even glide, let alone hover. Walking is possible due to gravity. Even if I didn’t have the armor, I don’t think I…”

“I know. Just hang in there.”

Giving her stallion a final nudge with her shoulder, the mare trotted over to the nearest intact section of the floor. She made a point of testing every step with a portion of her weight before committing, edging forwards slowly.

“Alright, Astral. Step where I step.”

Astral’s heightened heart rate pinged away in Sassi’s HUD. The stallion carefully followed, the two of them navigating across a mostly-intact section of the office.

Sassi then angled her path onto one of the massive support beams that spanned the floor. Some of them were already collapsed, so it was clear they hadn’t been spared the acid’s touch.

Astral let out a yelp, stopping himself from jumping away as a splash of acid glanced off of the RASP’s shielding systems. The magic sparked with an angry, white flash before settling down.

“Sas, that killed half of the shields. It’s regenerating but way too slowly,” the stallion said, his voice quivering. If not for the shields (and armor underneath), it would have likely turned his entire left side into sludge.

“Even if the shields fail, the suit and armor are resistant to acid. We can’t wait for it to recharge completely.”

“I k-know.”

Astral’s fearful reply pulled at Sassi’s heart, but she could only move forwards. They had to get across before the floor collapsed even further.

The first girder groaned underneath the mare’s weight. Thankfully, she crossed onto the second without issue, just after a connecting junction. It was at least wide enough to give one’s hooves some margin for error, but barely.

“Alright, Astral. You next.”

Sassi stayed near the connecting junction of the girder, watching the stallion wobble his way across. His heart rate was in the red.

Thankfully, he crossed without incident. Astral let out a sigh of relief as he took a final step-

The metal gave way.

The girder abruptly shattered, Astral following it down for a split second. With a lunge Sassi snagged his hoof, the metal groaning in protest. The stallion’s eyes were wide in horror as she yanked him up, the second girder starting to bend under their combined weight.

She took a few steps away to spread out the load, Astral barely managing to put one hoof in front of the other. A few more steps…

Sassi yanked him off the girder and onto an intact, secure section of flooring with a heave. The improvised catwalk let out another groan before it continued to bend and warp. With a rather pitiful squeak, it snapped off and plummeted to the reactor floor below.

The shaking of Astral’s limbs was visible, the stallion only being able to sit up with the assistance of the armor.

“Sas. I…” words failed him, any prior confidence having evaporated. Astral simply hung his head. “Thank you,” he whispered.

Reaching over to squeeze his hoof, Sassi nodded firmly.
“Anytime. Let’s go, Astral. We overload this and get back to solid ground. Can’t stop yet.”

She hated having to push him. The mare could feel terror threatening to overwhelm Astral over their link, and yet this was not the place to stop.

The next section was thankfully stable, with multiple girders intact as they carefully walked over to the controls.

“Ok. Astral, just do what I do, ok?” Sassi said. “Remember, these consoles have a magical lock as well, so we can’t move from these spots while we’re adjusting the settings, or it’ll reset.”

“That’s obnoxious,” he managed to say, the mare snorting in agreement.

“Very. So, we’ll set the settings the same, and then we press the final button at the same time. Each of these settings has either a knob or a switch with the settings. We need to not have too many pauses when doing this,” Sassi indicated, taking her position at the leftmost control panel and turning a knob. “Power to internal cycling.”

“Switched.”

“Energy pattern to recursive.”

“Recursive.”

“Auto-destruct, disable.”

“Disabled.”

“Safeties, disabled.”

“Done.”

The control panel began to beep steadily as Astral turned the switch.

“Alright. Last few steps. External lines disabled.”

“Done.”

“Buffers set to decreasing.”

“…Sas?”

Sassi’s mind was abruptly blasted by fear, Astral standing stock still.

“Everything is dark. I can’t see.”

Author's Note:

...Acid. Why is it always acid?

PreviousChapters Next