• Published 31st Aug 2021
  • 3,328 Views, 2,060 Comments

We don't go to Sub-Level Five - RadBunny



Astral Sentinel is just a typical security guard. The job pays well, has decent hours, and it's basically glorified customer service. There was just one odd thing stamped on the job description. Never ask about Sub-Level Five, ever.

  • ...
15
 2,060
 3,328

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Seventy Six: Critical Failure

Sassi immediately galloped towards the door, checking before everything was clear. Swiftly locking it, the mare quickly made her way down the hall. The second helmet would alert her if any creatures tried to sneak in.

The infrared worked perfectly but Sassi made sure to have snagged a flare just in case the electronics fizzled out again. It was a quick but cautious trot to the fuse box, nothing impeding Sassi’s path. Nothing had changed. No motion alarms, not a single thing out of place.

Turning the corner, Sassi clicked the helmet lights on to get a better view of the fuse box.

Her heart stopped.

The fuse box was a blackened mess. There were new fuses that were burned and fried, tendrils of foul smoke wisping into the air. But across the entire machine, a massive gash had torn it nearly in half. There weren’t any switches to flick.

“Scan for available power grids. Anything we can hook the healing crystals up to.”

‘Scanning.’

The minute of scanning felt like an hour.

‘No active, sufficient power sources detected. The electric grid in this area has suffered catastrophic damage.’

Sassi dared to trot at the end of the hall, glancing this way and that but finding no change in status, nor anything new.

“Then how do we power the healing crystals?”

There was a pause, far too long for the advanced AI.

‘Unknown. Searching for alternatives.’

Sassi quickly made her way back to the hospital wing. Surely there had to be something! It was a simple matter to re-barricade everything, and the mare toyed with the idea of strapping Astral to her back and galloping as fast as she could.

And yet that could kill him. There was no guarantee she’d even find a medical bed, let alone a working one.

“Can he be healed with just the crystals in his body? Maybe not power the entire medical bed for a time?” She asked, pacing back and forth as the counter ticked down faster.

‘Negative. Supplemental healing spells are insufficient. Primary user needs additional, full-saturation spell treatment before relying solely on supplemental crystals and armor systems. Movement at this stage will increase user destabilization.’

Sassi felt the hot, painful tears of frustration welling up, but she forced them down. The timer ticked down methodically, Sassi's eyes frozen to the counter. She could hear her heartbeat thudding, her breath quickening.

What do I do!?

There was nothing in Sassi's training repertoire that could help. No improvising could bring power to the healing crystals. The power grid was well and truly dead.

And Astral would likely follow.

She refused to accept that thought even as the inevitable dread loomed, a tidal wave of painful acknowledgment that was edging closer. The mare galloped out, the RASP AI scanning from the destroyed entrance to Silo Two.

She ran past the fuse box again, venturing further down the hall as the AI continued its work.

Nothing.

Silo Three was enormous. There might not be a new power grid anywhere even close to them, let alone a functional medical bed. They might not even be near the main shaft of the facility for that matter, lost in a maze of side corridors and wings.

And the AI said I can't even move him.

Returning to Astral's side, the mare watched as the minutes counted down, her mind frantically spinning in circles. There were no options left.

Tears of frustration and fear finally broke past her defenses, moisture trickling down her cheeks. All her training, strength, and durability meant nothing. Sassi's limbs began to shake as the counter dropped into the final minute.

"Is there any way to power the medical systems?" she whispered.

'Negative. Continuing to search for alternatives with experimental subroutines.'

The counter hit zero, and the healing crystals surrounding Astral flickered, finally shutting down with a soft hum. The armor's reactor kept the crystals adhered to Astral’s skin powered, but it wasn't enough. All it did was prologue the inevitable.

Astral was mercifully asleep, but the stallion's breathing became slowly more labored. The vitals monitor in the helmet began to shift from blue to orange. A dangerous red tint then began to creep onto the screen. The display began to flash a warning.

The tears were flowing freely down Sassi's cheeks as she hopped up onto the medical bed. The helmet was set aside, projecting the vitals and other displays into the air. She wrapped her forelimbs around the unconscious stallion. His life was draining away and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

The one pony to make me feel like I’m more than just an experiment, and he’s going to die.

"Please...save him," Sassi whispered, her sides shaking with sobs as she hugged Astral close. "What more do you want from me?"

Her cries to the so-called Harmony of Equestria had never been answered. The tales of the Elements, a tree that grew a consciousness; it all was nothing more than foals-stories to her. A fantasy for ponies who grew up in a world far away from this one.

If this Harmony existed, it never had cared about her. Why would it now?

Never in Sassi's darkest moments had her prayers, her pleading been answered. She had stopped asking after years of tearful begging. She hadn’t expected anyone's help long ago. That included some mystical Harmony or any of the Princesses. They never had helped her. Even their influence was poisoned by the Silos.

And yet Sassi knew that if there was anyone that could hear her...

"H-how much more do I have to give?" Sassi whispered, rocking Astral back and forth. His breathing was slowing. "Just when I started to have hope, you're taking that away from me too."

A thought canceled out everything else. It was like someone had just yelled in Sassi's ear.

‘Hug him, as tightly as you can.’

Even knowing it was just her own, desperate wants, Sassi didn't care. The thought came again, and the mare didn't see a reason to do anything else but listen.

Sassi's limbs shook as she hugged Astral, wanting nothing more than for him to just open his eyes. There was nobody else to hear her cries. But she wished more than anything to be wrong about that.

"Whatever you want, just take it. Don't let him die. Don't take away the pony I love,” Sassi whispered. “I can’t do anything else for him.” Tears obstructed the mare’s vision, her lips trembling. “I heard the Princess say it once, even if I didn’t believe it; friendship is magic. Is that enough?”

She pulled Astral closer.
“Whatever I need to give to save him, take it. Please, just don't leave me alone again."

If not for her heightened abilities, Sassi would have missed it. A single flash of something in the room, an after-image that could have just been the reflecting emergency lights.

An ethereal mare had only looked at her briefly, a horrified, sorrowful expression on her face before bowing her head.

Sassi was then distracted by a soft *pop*. Two metal, pinecone-like objects emerged from the RASP reactor backpack as the AI's voice erupted from the discarded helmet, the displayed vitals starting to pulse.

'Alternate power source detected. Explicit consent registered. Experimental subroutines tested and online.

Changeling Dynamos activating.'

PreviousChapters Next