• Published 31st Aug 2021
  • 3,347 Views, 2,062 Comments

We don't go to Sub-Level Five - RadBunny



Astral Sentinel is just a typical security guard. The job pays well, has decent hours, and it's basically glorified customer service. There was just one odd thing stamped on the job description. Never ask about Sub-Level Five, ever.

  • ...
15
 2,062
 3,347

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 110: The Maw

Their walk was slow, and the atmosphere was thick with an underlying tension. Four gryphons followed on the upper levels; large rifles held in their claws. Another five ponies, including Block, accompanied the Thestrals. A larger group of a few dozen assorted creatures followed just barely out of sight.

Astral forced himself to put one hoof in front of the other, focusing on very little else. After the experience with the Zeeps and the creature hunting them, his nerves were fried.

He just had to trust Sassi to get through this.

As they turned the corner, however, Astral’s stomach clenched. Hung from ropes, a gutted pony was draped between the fifth story of the prison blocks. It was only now that blood was visible, various cells absolutely coated in the stuff.

“From a less civilized time,” Block said calmly as they walked. “One of the former leaders. He killed a few of the survivors from one of the Silos. I, therefore, made an example of him. Such a waste of resources. Killing first got us this far, yes. But to get us out, it must come after speaking. Instead of being second nature, we have to work together if needed. Wouldn’t you agree?”

“I would,” Sassi replied. Her tone was curt but oddly respectful. There was a strength to it, an edge that calmed Astral’s nerves. “I have to say, I’m rather impressed, Block. I knew you were one of the smarter ones here, if not at the top. I’m pleased to see I wasn’t wrong. Even with the ugliness of survival, you have order. That’s no small accomplishment. I thought everyone would have torn each other apart by now.”

The stallion clearly was pleased with the mare’s words, a bit of a confident strut adding to his gait.

“So, Block. Let’s discuss a deal. We have some things to offer.” Sassi said. “Perhaps some of our weapons? Supplies? Or are you really going to suggest hopping into bed with me as a payment?”

“Well, the thought had crossed my mind a few times,” Block smirked, eyes glancing over to her, “but I assume your friend here would take issue with that?”

“Eh, he’d get over it. But without some testing, I think you or anyone else would be a disappointment in comparison,” Sassi said with a smirk, “I don’t just keep him around for the conversation. Nice to have a good roll in the hay once in a while.”

“Well, Raz. Fair is fair,” Block sighed, fishing out a piece of gold metal and flicking it back towards the other pony. “I was wrong.”

“Wait. I was right?” Raz asked, genuinely surprised. “The Terror of the Silos finally cracked? OI! Rest of you, pay up. My cell- drop off the bets.”

There were more than a few grumbles at that, Block chuckling.
“I would not have guessed things went that far. You admit your fondness for him; such things get you killed down here. Did such weakness leave you vulnerable, I wonder?”

They paused, and it was only then that Astral caught sight of what was around the corner in a few more cells.

Sassi?

He didn’t know if there was a way for her to hear him, but the mare’s ears twitched. Weakness returned to Astral’s limbs. The Silos had thrown things so far out of reality at them, it had been easy to distance one’s self from it. Well, compared to this.

The bloodied cells were full of flesh. Dried and hanging from hooks, an entire wall of the prison was converted to drying the meat.

In one of the cells, the skinned and gutted bodies of innumerable creatures were piled high, the concrete chamber sealed off with refrigeration units, plastic, and metal to create a makeshift freezer.

Cannibals.

“And here we arrive at the unpleasant truth. Sacrifices needed to be made for the strong to survive,” Block stated gravely. “Have you let weakness infect you, Sassi Satin? Do not mistake my pleasantries for incompetence. I’ve been civil. As you said, order is now here. But to get to that point, things had to get ugly for a time.”

He waved a hoof, the guns mostly, but not entirely, trained on the group.
“You want passage, but you have very little to offer. Oh, I wouldn’t mind exploring the mare under that armor, but that’s hardly enough to cover letting such a valuable resource walk through our midst.”

He raised his forelimb, training the shotgun on Astral.
“We have plenty of weapons and supplies for many more weeks. But the path ahead is unknown. Therefore, your offer to clear a path is acceptable. However, only you can go. We will keep this one. Unharmed of course. But until we have confirmation of a clear path, he stays with us. How else can we guarantee your return?”

“No deal. You’ve seen those creatures. I need someone to watch my back. One or two of your creatures can’t keep up,” Sassi said with an air of frustration. “Don’t play stupid. I’ve known you far too long for that to work. You know even your best crew can’t keep up with me, and I need someone close to my level to fight off the monsters here. I need him to fight.”

Astral felt a moment of worry and almost panic inject itself into the mental link. It nearly kicked off his own nerves. That is, until an ice-cold calm took over.

There you go, Sas.

The scarred stallion sighed, brow furrowing in disappointment.
“The alternative is we kill you both, peel the armor off of you, and use whatever we can. I guarantee I, and my crew will be resourceful,” Block said, a malevolent smirk sliding onto his scarred features. But that quickly faded, the almost-believable mask of a gentlestallion returning. “I would very much like to avoid that, as you’re far more pleasant and useful alive.”

“Uh-huh. Look, first, you drop the guns, or we kill each other, right here, right now.” Sassi replied. “What else do you have to make this deal work? Or do we need to start shooting?”

“Oh? A flicker of the Terror now shows her face! No, I don’t think you’d be able to. Not without hurting your precious bed toy. These are significantly better terms than my predecessors would have offered,” Block said, nodding to somepony behind them.

A series of impacts slammed into Astral, the stallion crumping to the floor as electricity coursed across the armor. The HUD whited out, systems shutting down to reboot. Block raised a hoof as Sassi’s miniguns sped up.

“Hold your fire, he’s alive. I’m not about to kill such a resource. Funny thing about those shock rounds they used on us. Enough of them can crash electrical systems,” Block said, not seeming to mind the miniguns pointed at him. “If you need backup, then how about this.? You will take two dozen of my crew as confirmation. If none of them come back with you, I’ll assume the deal is off. They may not be able to keep up with you, but they can at least aid in splitting the attention of monsters. And you have an incentive to keep them alive. Is that acceptable?”

Sassi frowned, the miniguns stopping their rotation. For a moment, Astral felt fear start to take over. Yet somehow, it remained at bay. There was a cool, calming sensation in his mind.

Sassi?

“Two dozen? Hmm. Deal,” Sassi said with a firm nod. “That’s actually doable. I can escort them and at least keep the majority alive. She then smiled, taking her helmet off. “I underestimated you, Block. I can respect that. I do respect that.”

The pony grinned, the two dozen creatures behind them moving a bit closer. Three of them had large, shotgun-like side saddles aimed at Astral as they encircled him. The shock rounds, if he had to guess.

Not that the Thestral could move his head much. He had such a limited range of movement.

“Let’s go then,” Sassi remarked, taking a few steps forward, “but are we stopping by your quarters first?”

The stallion blinked in surprise, then let out a laugh.
“I threaten to kill you and your friend, and that’s what you say? You’re a lot colder of a mare than I originally thought.”

She shrugged, casually waving a hoof at the group.
“Well sure, but that’s just business, Block. You know that,” Sassi explained. “This is a transaction. A logical deal. I know how things work down here, as do you. I threaten you, you threaten me, go back and forth a bit, and then we sort things out. Just like how it was before. Those shock rounds aren’t fun, but hardly lethal. I appreciate you not harming him.”

The smile on the mare’s face might have easily been mistaken as seductive. And more than a few eyes in the group were lecherously focused on Sassi as she walked a bit closer to Block.

“And you said clearing a path wouldn’t cover all of the cost for passage, just some. And you’re hardly the worst pony to…trade with.”

She then grinned, casually reaching up to trace a hoof across Block’s chest- a gesture he was too surprised to stop.

“If I’m being frank, I’m glad it’s you I’m making a deal with. You’ve managed to build something here, and that takes a lot of guts and brains to get done right. And you can call it flattery, but facts are facts. At least I can be appreciated by someone who understands the full gravity of the situation.”

She then took a few steps, Block following as her voice lowered to almost a whisper, “I know the others wouldn’t get it. My friend over there is a great lay, but he’s not the brightest. It gets…exhausting. So, I’m glad it’s you at the very least. I’d rather trade with someone on my level than these other idiots. It’s a nice change, even if it’s for business.”

Block made a sweeping gesture with his hoof as they paused, bowing slightly before waving to his lackeys.

“You do indeed flatter me. And yet you’re as cold and calculating as always.”

“Cold? I think I can change that perception shortly,” Sassi replied with a grin. “Now then, how much more talking do you want to do? Hopefully not too much. I’m eager to leave here, but not that quickly. If that’s acceptable?”

“Ah, one moment…”

Even if he didn’t act as if Sassi’s words had phased him, the stallion was clearly quite pleased with himself.

Letting out a huff, Block gestured again to his crew.
“Now, you all; stay here for now. I want twenty-four of the best fighters to be selected when I get back,” he growled, looking at Raz and a few other creatures. “Whoever goes and returns gets first looting rights on whatever they find, and as much food and booze as they can handle for three days. I know which ones of you have the skills, so I trust you to sort it out amongst yourselves in a civilized manner.”

The creatures nodded in acknowledgment, then turned to discuss amongst themselves.

“Oh, and if I happen to die in my quarters under strange circumstances, kill them both,” Block added with a chuckle.

“But what fun would that be?” Sassi sighed. “Really, Block? If it was one of these other brutes, that’d be a concern. But you’re at least pleasant. I want you alive for the next…well, however long we have.”

“Just covering my back, as I always do,” the convict remarked, reaching up to drape a hoof across Sassi’s back. “And I promise I’m just as pleasant in private.”

“Well hopefully not too pleasant,” Sassi said, reaching over to bump Block’s side with her own as they began to walk. “I’ve had enough of being coddled by this stupid company. They controlled me and I couldn’t just let loose! I just hope you’re up for it. Does this place have hot water? A nice shower full of steam to start off? It’s been ages since I’ve had a shower.”

The stallion grinned, a hoof reaching to trace down Sassi’s back.
“Oh, I think we can arrange a bit of-”

It was a whisper of movement, a flick of a wrist.

With an abrupt, fierce snarl, Sassi lashed out with her gauntlet. The extended blade nearly cut Block’s head clean off. With a kick, she sent the body flying back towards the dozen creatures behind Astral, severed arteries filling the air with blood.

As the red liquid blinded the nearest creatures the mare tumbled backwards. She grabbed and seated her helmet, the cannons firing at the four creatures on the balcony. Three of them flopped down with massive holes in their chest, the fourth managing to fire a single shot from the anti-material rifle before meeting a similar fate. The round slammed into Sassi’s side, the armor buckling but not completely. It made her stagger, but the mare easily rolled with the blow and brought her weapons to bear.

Then the miniguns went loud.

The nearest dozen ponies and gryphons went down in a spray of blood and gore. Magical bullets chewed through the lightly-armored targets with ease. It was only after more than the nearest twenty of the creatures were piled on the floor in a bloody pile that bullets began to rain their way.

Jumping forwards, Sassi crouched over Astral. Her wings snapped out, a shield of energy deflecting hundreds of rounds that now were pouring down at them.

A red-hot fire burned in Astral’s mind from his link with Sassi. Raw, unfiltered rage and disgust flared up as the mare pulled him off into a cell. She yanked off the attached gel-encased stun rounds from the armor, checking the miniguns before stepping out to send a hail of bullets back at the convicts.

“Astral, can you move?” she called, glancing back at the stunned stallion. “Astral!”

“Not yet. Armor says it’s in lockup?” he relayed, reading the display. “Radio and guns operational, but it’s rebooting in thirty seconds for limited movement. Another two minutes before systems are fully back up.”

She sent another stream of rounds down the hall, coating every floor of the prison block with magical bullets and blasts from the cannons. As the return fire increased, the mare slid back into the cell.

“As soon as you can move, get ready to run. It’s just a long hallway, a left, and then a right until we’re at the exit. It’ll be locked, but we can blow it open,” she explained. “I’ll try and cover us. They’ll be in disarray with Block dead, but they’ll quickly work together to try and take us out. Got it?”

He tried to nod. It was a foolish gesture considering the armor was completely immobilized.
“Got it. I’ll stand as soon as I can.”

Sassi paused, double-checking the guns as the return fire slackened.
“Idiots. They all fire until they need to reload instead of staggering,” she muttered to herself.

After sending another stream of bullets their way, Sassi immediately trotted to Astral’s side as he stood, the armor audibly whining as the motors struggled to compensate.

“Not sure if I can run flat out,” the Thestral said, taking a few experimental steps. “But I can manage a fast trot.”

“It’ll have to do. When they reload again, we move.”

It was oddly comforting to be on the receiving end of Sassi’s militaristic communications again. No fluff, just orders to get them out and safe.

The incoming bullets slowed.

“Move, Astral!” Sassi yelled, covering his mad scramble with a haul of fire.

He forced the leaden limbs to move, half-tripping over himself. Dodging around the corpses, Astral nearly fell over as he skidded to turn, Sassi following right behind him.

There weren’t many creatures ahead of them; the majority apparently following. Sassi paused for a split second, kicking the head of Block as they passed.

“Moron. It wasn’t your back you needed to cover,” she spat. “Astral. Straight ahead, keep going!”

He tried; he really did. The Thestral stumbled, nearly falling before Sassi caught him. She shoved him upright. The cannons abruptly blew two gryphons into wet chunks, the creatures lunging at them from ground-level cells. Their brandished machetes had barely hit the floor before three ponies got chewed into Swiss cheese by the machine guns, apparently desperate for a piece of the action.

They had only been armed with crude shivs. Sassi killed them without hesitation all the same.

Passing by a dozen cells covered in blood, gore, and plastic wrap, the two finally managed to turn another corner.

“Ok. That door up there on our right. A short hall which leads to the exit. Then a simple security station and heavy doors. It wasn’t ever used outside of testing to make sure it worked,” Sassi instructed, still pinning down the dozens of convicts chasing them. A stray bullet smacked into her shoulder, the mare hissing in pain as it dug into the softer but still bullet-proof body suit.

Two earth ponies were between them and the doors. Astral’s first shot went wide- the RASP targeting was still down. The nearest pony had a crude pistol on his forearm- it punched Astral in the chest with two shots before the Thestral fired again. The second pony abruptly ran off, dropping the knife he had been holding.

The only smart move Astral had seen from them so far.

Turning into the exit hallway, Astral nearly fell again as the armor rebooted. His movements abruptly became lighter. He sighed in relief.

“Right side! Control panel!”

Astral dashed over to the indicated area, yanking a massive red lever. There was a hiss of hydraulics, and the door opened.

It stopped after a few seconds, the grinding of metal audible. Astral forced himself into the gap, shoving it open. It barely was enough to allow the two of them to squeeze through with the guns.

On the other side, Astral yanked a matching lever. The door closed but didn’t seal all the way. He joined with Sassi to shove the two sides of the door until it latched, then blew the lever and controls to pieces with a blast from the shotgun.

“Let’s go. Can’t stop yet. One more security door, and then it’s a large meeting room. After that, another few security doors and then the main entrance to the Silo. Then we’re in the dark,” Sassi barked.

The hallway was a crude tunnel bored into the rock, leading to a second door. This one was much older, and a great deal thicker than the first. The grey metal was easily as thick as a door was wide, and opened at a snail’s pace. The sound of gears grinding indicated some form of powered hydraulics, but Astral wasn’t about to question it.

It sealed behind them. Dim, white lights flickered on automatically to show a simple tiled hallway leading to a circular employee-lounge-like room. There were papers scattered everywhere, along with a small kitchen, relaxation area, and rather large bathrooms.

But more importantly, the hall beyond it was sealed, the area without a spec of blood.

It was only then that Astral let himself breathe, flopping down onto his haunches.

That could have gone worse.

Author's Note:

Safe (ish) again!

We're back to weekly chapters! :yay:
Also, as we're in the final arc of this story, I'll be putting up a poll in the final chapters as to what project you all would like to see as a priority (thank you for HarpyYoshi for the idea.)

There's 2 stories for the future that will be written regardless. One is the Sequel to SL-5 with our two favorite Thestrels (and a new chaotic friend). Can't give more info than that just yet.

The other is titled "The Frost", an apocalyptic story that's independent of the "Radverse". Adventure, survival, and of course lots of fluff- very little horror. Already have about 4-5 chapters written.
Click here for the story description

So, until the survey is posted, feel free to sound off in the comments!

PreviousChapters Next