• Published 26th Jun 2021
  • 2,288 Views, 405 Comments

The Darkness Shard - OliverSparkle

  • ...
2
 405
 2,288

Chapter 22

By the time Princess Luna raised the moon, which Sonic and his friends were taken by surprised, everyone was in their beds and sleeping bags getting some shut eye since they’ve got a big day tomorrow as they were going to continue their journey to the Tree of Life.

Oliver was placing Flurry Heart into her sleeping as she hugged her whammy snail teddy. He was about to get into his sleeping bag, that was next to his sister’s, when he suddenly saw Tempest coming in and going to her sleeping bag.

“I’ll be back, Flurry,” said Oliver, “I just need to do something real quick.”

“Okay,” replied Flurry Heart as Oliver made his way towards Tempest.

Tempest was just taking her black suit off her, revealing her cutie mark which was red and blue firework sparks, and placed it next to her sleeping bag. She unzipped her sleeping bag and was about to climb in until she heard Oliver’s voice.

“Fizzlepop.”

“Huh?” Tempest stopped what she was doing and saw Oliver smiling at her. “Oh hello, Oliver. Is something wrong?”

“No, nothing’s wrong,” Oliver answered politely, “I just wanted to say thank you for saving Lightning and Flurry from Shadow when I was unable to.”

“Oh. Well, you’re welcome. It was nothing at all, I just wanted to help since we’ve been friends for sometime now. Plus you were badly injured and weren’t able to save your sister and nephew from that hedgehog.”

“True, but I couldn’t just ignore what you did and not say thank you. You’ve been a big help today, Fizzlepop. I appreciate it.”

Tempest smiled and blushed a bit. “Thanks. Guess tagging along was a good idea after all. Well, I suppose we better get some rest now. We have a big day tomorrow anyway.” Tempest climbed into her sleeping bag while still blushing a bit which made Oliver look at her confusedly. “Are you, feeling okay?”

“Huh? Yeah, I’m okay. Why’d you ask?” Tempest replied quickly.

“Are you sure? Because you’re blushing all of a sudden. Are you cold?”

“What? Oh no, no, I’m not cold. Don’t worry. I’m just uh…tired after fighting Shadow. That’s all.” Tempest chuckled nervously.

Oliver was confused by Tempest’s behaviour. But he decided to leave her be and not to ask her anymore. And it is late now, so he should go to sleep now so he has enough energy for the long walk tomorrow.

“Well, okay then,” said Oliver before going back to his sleeping bag, “Have a good night, Fizzlepop.”

“Night,” said Tempest before letting out a calm and quiet sigh of relief before resting her head on the pillow.

Flurry Heart saw the whole thing and started feeling confuse to what was going on with Tempest as well. “Do you really think she’s doing okay?”

Oliver looked at his little sister before answering, “I wish I could say I knew. But I think it’s best we leave her be and let her tell us when she’s ready.”

Flurry wanted to know what was up with Tempest and see if there’s anything they can do for her, but she knew her brother was right. So she decided to leave Tempest be and let her talk when she’s ready.

“Now get some sleep, sis,” said Oliver politely while getting into his sleeping bag, “We’ve got a busy day tomorrow. You’re gonna need all the rest you can get.”

“Okay,” said Flurry Heart, “Goodnight, Olive. Love you!”

“Love you too, Flurry,” said Oliver as he rested his head on the pillow and fell asleep.

Flurry, however, didn’t go to sleep just yet. Instead, she got out of her sleeping bag and went to her brother and carefully kissed him on the cheek, without waking him up, before going back to her sleeping bag and calling it a night.

“I felt that,” Oliver said kindly without opening his eyes.

Flurry chuckled at her brother’s response before laying her head on the pillow and went to sleep with Oliver doing the same. But unknown to them, and everyone else in the tent, they were being watched by Darkness and the hooded pony through the dark purple clouds in the castle.

“With more of them helping Lightning Twister,” said Darkness, “Our chance to capture him will be more difficult than I thought it would be.”

“So how do we get to him now?” Asked the hooded pony, “If we just walk in, they’ll be able to stop us before we can take the pony’s darkness within him.”

“Patience, my boy,” answered Darkness as the dark purple cloud faded away, “Patience is the key to capturing Lightning Twister, even if we have to break him piece by little piece. His darkness is still what I need to gain more power, and be unstoppable. But on the other hand, it does give us enough time to round up more members to help us.”

“More members?”

“Exactly. The more people we have, the easier it’ll be stop them from reaching the Tree of Life or before they could stop the nightmares. In fact, I’ve just asked someone to come and join us, along with his assistant agent. They should be here right…” The doors of the hallway open. “Now.”

Darkness and the hooded pony turned to the door and saw two humans walking into the hallway. One man was wearing a black suit and black tie, that’s Agent Stone. The other man was a little taller than Agent Stone, and was bald. He has a set of goggles on his forehead and a long brown moustache. His shirt was red with a patch of black on the front and back of the shirt and mini black patches on both sides of the arms, and his gloves, trousers and boots are black. That was Doctor Robotink, but we like to call him Eggman, since that’s what Sonic always calls him.

Darkness crossed his arms behind his back before saying, “Doctor Robotink, I take it?”

“At your service,” replied Robotink while bowing before crossing his arms behind his back, “A true honour to be here.”

“Wait, that’s the person that contacted you?” Asked Agent Stone.

“Of course, Agent Stone,” answered Robotink, “He’s the one who asked us to come here for interesting offer that he said I may like.”

“Ah yes, the offer I said I would give you if you help me.” Darkness walked towards Robotink.

“And what can I help you in order to get your offer?” Robotink asked.

“Well, let’s just say it involves a certain little hedgehog, you wish to destroy and take his powers and the emerald he has.”

“You’re on about Sonic and the Master Emerald that he stole from me!”

“That’s right,” said Darkness, “I know you hate that hedgehog, and your revenge didn’t go as you thought it would be. But if I told you I can help you get Sonic if you help me in return.”

Robotink was taking a liking to what Darkness was offering to him. “Go on.”

“You see, there’s this little pony, a colt in better words, named Lightning Twister,” explained Darkness, “And he’s no normal pony you may think he is. He’s the grandson of an evil king called, The Storm King. The mother of Lightning Twister should to work for The Storm King as his daughter, but she later betrayed before Lightning was born. He invaded all lands trying to find her colt while also seeking the magic that will make him stronger. But he wasn’t able to find him, even before his first defeat. And the young colt was found by a Pegasus named Fluttershy. He told her everything about what happened to his mother and what Cold Wind did to him, and she took him in as her son without knowing he’s the Storm Pony. Even he didn’t know he was The Storm King’s grandchild, till The Storm King returned from his stone defeat.”

“I see,” said Robotink, “And what would you like me to do?”

“Well,” began Darkness as he turned to look at Robotink before continuing, “I need your help capturing Lightning Twister and bringing him to me, so I can use his darkness to make me powerful and able to destroy all worlds. I even need your brilliant robots to help as well.”

“Ooohhh, I’m listening!” Said Robotink getting more interested after hearing that.

“And in return, I will help you capture Sonic and…gain power from the Master Emerald once more.”

Robotink began to think about the offer as he tapped his chin with his finger. After a few seconds of thinking, he started to speak his answer, “Well, as you’ve mentioned that blue hedgehog is now with the young pony, which you probably should told me first before asking me to come here. However, what your offer is what I’m most interested in than hearing the first pit about Sonic. So…I’m happy to help!”

“Excellent!” Darkness said proudly, “Welcome aboard! Your room will be down the hallway on your right. And you may find some useful equipment to help you make more machines.”

“Very kind of you. And now, I must go and begin. Come, Agent Stone, we’ve got work to do!”

“Yes, Doctor,” replied Agent Stone as the two made their way out of the room and headed to Robotink’s room.

The hooded pony started to feel unaware of Robotink’s behaviour as he walked towards Darkness before asking, “Are you sure having him on the team is a good idea? What if he tries to backstab you and take the pony’s darkness as well as the emerald?”

“Fear not, my boy,” answered Darkness, “He won’t do such a thing like that. Not if he still wants to defeat Sonic. Besides, he hasn’t met Shadow yet, but I’m sure they’ll get along just fine and work together to destroy the blue hedgehog and help claim the pony.”

The hooded pony said nothing as he understood what Darkness was saying. He then turned to the window of the room and stared at it. Darkness could sense something in the pony’s mind and knew what it was. He gently placed a hand on his shoulder, which made him look at him, as he then said, “You’ll get your chance to destroy the royal sisters, and claim the throne. However, you will need to destroy Twilight Sparkle as well. She’s the next princess to claim the throne, even if they don’t plan to retire at all.”

“I will,” replied the hooded pony with a nod. He knew Darkness was right about Twilight, and she will do anything to protect Lightning from them.

Darkness took his hand from the hooded pony’s shoulder and crossed both hands behind his back before saying, “It is your destiny to rule Equestria, my boy. And that is, the name I now rename you.” He moved his head closer to the pony and said, “Midnight. Midnight Crown.” He moved his head away from the hooded pony, or rather Midnight Crown. “We will go down in history together as we destroy the world, take the darkness, and claim what is rightfully yours.”

Darkness decided that Midnight Crown might need some time to think about that, so without even saying another word to him, he began to walk out of the room leaving Midnight be until he needs to see or speak to him again. Midnight Crown watched Darkness leave the room before turning back to the window he was staring at. His horn began to glow from inside his hood as he angrily made a blast that shot through the window, causing it to break, as the blast hit a mountain and several rock pieces fell.

“Celestia, Luna, Twilight…I’m coming for you,” said Midnight Crown, “Long, live, the king!”


By the time morning came, everyone got up and had some scrambled eggs for breakfast made by Jacob and Fluttershy. They finished packing up the tent and gathering the things they brought before continuing their journey to the Tree of Life now that the shield will allow them to leave and continue on.

The team were now walking through the forest where they walking in a muddy mud pool, which some of the members weren’t happy about.

Twilight, Spike, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Gallus, Ocellus Silverstream, Smolder, Oliver, Cadence, Flurry Heart and the two sisters didn’t have a problem since they had wings and can fly through the muddy part of the forest. Twilight was giving Xion a ride through the mud which Roxas and Axel didn’t mind, except for Donald. Starlight and Sunset used her magic to help them fly.

Lightning was ready on Silverstream’s back, because his wings were still healing, and so he wouldn’t have to walk through the mud or walk all the way to the Tree of Life, which Discord still find annoying. The young five even offered to take turns of carrying Lightning, like they did during Sora’s first time in Equestria, and Silverstream was okay with it.

Sandbar was riding on Yona’s back, because Yona refused to let Sandbar to walk through the mud by himself, and was worried he might get stuck along the way.

“Ugh! Why is this so muddy?” Knuckles asked in annoyance, “I feel like my shoes are gonna get stuck in!”

“Calm down, Knuckles darling,” said Rarity, “The mud is just fine and won’t get us stuck.”

“And what made you not claim about the mud pool?” Rainbow asked.

“Well, everypony says mud is good for the fur,” answered Rarity, “Also, I wish to focus on helping my precious little nephew than worry about my mane.”

“But once this is all over, you’ll be back to your usual self and back to hating getting dirty and having your mane ruined, right?”

“Nope,” said Rarity proudly, “I’m through with acting like that. For now, I will get dirty if I must on these adventures and will have a shower when we saved the day.”

“Well, that’s new and unexpected,” said Applejack in amazed.

“Not for me!” Donald said crossly, “All this mud are making my feet dirty! And I’m getting stuck almost halfway!”

“Chill out, Donald,” said Sora, “Once we’re out of this mud, the sooner we may be able to clean our feet, shoes, paws, claws and hooves if there’s a clean water pool nearby.”

“He does have a point, Donald,” said Goofy, “And hey, you said you prefer walking than having a ride on some of the ponies’ back.”

Donald was about to argue back, but he quickly realised that Goofy was right. He say he wanted to walk to the Tree of Life and not hitch a ride on one of the ponies’ backs.

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“Well, while we’re on the subject of walking,” said Discord, “Can I have a carry from someone?”

“No!” Everyone shouted at him in reply.

“Why not? I’m tired and my wings hurt!”

“You’re a draconequus, Discord,” said Fluttershy in annoyance, “You can’t feel hurt.”

“Yeah!” Agreed Rainbow Dash.

“True, but I am tired!”

“Not gonna happen,” said Sunset in annoyance.

“Ugh! Then why does he get to have a piggyback ride?! He can still walk!”

Lightning knew he was talking about him and he looked down in both guilt and sadness. Rainbow Dash noticed this and flew to Silverstream before gently patting her nephew’s shoulder and shook her head showing that none of them were mad at him for not walking like the others were.

“He’s been having rough nights and is very tired,” answered Luna crossly defending the poor colt, “We refuse to make him walk with what he’s going through.”

“But I’m tired too!” Winced Discord with Cosmos looking away so she can roll her eyes in annoyance without her brother seeing her do it.

“But you’re not suffering from bad nightmares,” said Spike crossly.

“Well if I can’t have a piggyback because I’m tired, then he can’t have one either!”

“He deserves more piggyback rides than you, Discord,” said Celestia angrily, “And you’re too old for carries. And another thing, stop treating Lightning Twister badly!”

“Hmph!” Discord crossed his arms and looked away. “No princess gets to tell me what to do and how old I am.”

Princess Celestia flew towards Discord and angrily stared at him, which made him flinch and shake in fear, while saying, “Would you like to repeat that?”

“N-No,” said Discord in a scared tone.

“Good. Now leave him alone!” Celestia shouted before continuing flying next to her sister.

“He’s not gonna stop, is he?” Asked Luna crossly.

“I’m almost losing my patience with him,” said Celestia crossly, “If he continues on, even when we get to the Tree of Life, I’m so gonna send him to the moon.”

“Calm down, sister,” said Luna calmly, “We just have to make sure his words don’t upset young Lightning Twister, or do anything that can harm him. I’m angry at him too, but we can’t let out our anger and do things that we will regret.”

Celestia looked at her sister and then to Lightning Twister. She knew Luna was right. She can’t let out her anger and do something that she believes will shut Discord up, but will regret. She has to focus on helping the poor young colt she had come to known ever since Fluttershy adopted him.

She let out a calm sigh and said, “You’re right, Luna. We need to focus on helping the poor dear. He’s too important.”

Fluttershy flew over to Silverstream to check on her poor son. “Are you doing okay, sweetheart?” She asked while gently stroking Lightning’s mane.

Lightning sadly looked at his mother and asked, “Am I bad for not walking, Momma?”

“No, of course you’re not, baby,” replied Fluttershy softly while gently placing a hoof on Lightning’s cheek, “You’re going through a lot, and you haven’t able to get some peaceful sleep. You don’t have to walk all the way to the Tree of Life. Don’t listen to what Discord says to you.” She glared at Discord, showing that she’s not happy how he’s still treating her child. She looked back to her son and kissed him on the forehead. “You may ride on our backs until we reach the Tree of Life.“

“Okay, but what if I do want to try walking?”

“Then we’ll let you, and you can continue ride on our backs if you want to stop walking,” said Fluttershy.

Lightning gave his mother a small smile. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, baby.”

“From my point of view, he is one.”

Fluttershy heard that and quickly flew to Discord, which made him shake in fear again, as she angrily said, “Say something like that again, and you may just find yourself in a nightmare of your own! Understand?!”

Discord gulp nervously before quickly nodding his head in response as he was too afraid to even speak.

“Good. Now leave him alone!” Fluttershy flew away from Discord and flew by Twilight.

“Where to now, John?” Axel asked.

“Just straight on ahead. We should be out of this mud after one more mile,” answered Constantine while looking at the magic grasp-style map.

“Shouldn’t be a problem,” said Rarity proudly, “More mud on us means perfect coat throughout the journey.”

“Wow,” said Rainbow in surprise, “She really has stopped hating getting all dirty during adventures.”

“No argument here,” agreed Applejack.

And just like that, after one more mile later, the team made their way out of not just the mud river, but also out of the forest and were now on a sand dry ground with a nice clean river and rocks by it. This made Donald very happy as he was glad there was something to help clean his feet.

“Hooray!” He shouted happily, “A nice clean river to help clean my feet!

Donald ran towards the river and began splashing water onto his feet to clean them as he rubbed the mud off with his wet hand. The others, that walked in the mud, began cleaning themselves off as well.

Twilight flew down and let Xion off her back. “Thanks for the ride, Twilight.”

“You’re welcome, Xion.”

“Well, now that we’re out of the mud pool,” said Applejack after cleaning the mud off her hooves, “Which way now, John?”

“Well,” John started to look at the magic grasp-style map, “It says that we need make a straight turn to the left and…” Before he could even finish, John felt a hit on the back of his head. “Ow!” The map magically disappeared from John’s hand as he rubbed the back of his head. “Who did that?!”

“It wasn’t us,” replied Pinkie, “None of us even moved.”

Suddenly, Vincent felt a hit on the back of his head. “Ow! Okay, someone must be following us and playing tricks.”

“Ow!” Even Ventus felt a hit on the back of his head, “Yep, because those hits definitely wasn’t by us.”

The little figure was behind Sora and was flying towards him to hit him as well, until Flurry Heart saw it coming and shouted, “Sora! Behind you!”

Sora turned and saw the figure flying towards him. He summoned his Keyblade and swung at the strange figure as it hit the blade of his Keyblade and spun backwards and landed on the ground showing that it has four hooves.

“Nice swing, Sora,” said Gallus as Sora’s Keyblade magically disappeared before Sora said, “Thank you.”

The team approached the figure to see it was small, shaped like a filly pony and was wearing a black coat. The hooded figure didn’t move another muscle but just stared at them without even saying a single word.

“Now let’s see what this is all about,” said Twilight, “Starting with who you are first.”

The figure removed the hood from its head to reveal a pale light grayish arctic blue and light arctic bluish gray mane and its face shows it has a pink coat with three tiny freckles on each side underneath the eyes, and it was a female.

The female filly looked up at the team while grinning and saying,

“Twilight Sparkle. We meet again.”

Author's Note:

:pinkiegasp: Cozy Glow’s back?!