• Published 4th Feb 2021
  • 12,445 Views, 1,084 Comments

Choice - zelkova48



When the time came, choices needed to be made. Consequences be damned. A series of short vignettes set in the Negotiationverse by Rated Pony

  • ...
11
 1,084
 12,445

Obsession


As defeat looms ever closer, Princess Celestia becomes increasingly erratic and lashes out at anypony unfortunate enough to be the subject of her rage.


In the war room of Castle Canterlot, Princess Celestia held a hastily scrawled letter in her hoof, her face eerily impassive save for the pulsing vein that twitched sporadically out the corner of her forehead.

The contents of the letter was short and succinct.

Lieutenant Long Haul, second in command to Lieutenant Colonel Blaze Hoof, had assumed command of the last sizable battalion in all of Equestria after the latter had been killed in an ambush attempting to sneak back into Canterlot and had decided to surrender to the human forces. In his letter, he urged Princess Celestia to do the same, citing that it is the only way to save Equestria from complete and total eradication.

Needless to say, Celestia didn’t take to the thought of surrendering to the humans all that well.

The Equestrian war council, which had shrunken considerably during these dark days with many of their members either dead or AWOL, watched apprehensively as she placed the letter down and brought a shaking hoof up to her face to remove her reading glasses.

“All members of staff outside of the war council, please leave the room until further notice,” Celestia spoke barely above a whisper. She was polite yet her voice carried all the tranquil fury of a storm gathering on the horizon.

Hurriedly, all members of the cleaning staff and catering fled the room. They filed out the doors in a huddled mass, rudely pushing and shoving others out of the way so that they may escape the scathing tirade Princess Celestia was about to deliver. Once they were all gone a deathly silence overtook the war room, putting everypony on edge. It was the calm before the storm, the moment before disaster struck.

“How...” Celestia breathed as the ambient temperature rose to sweltering levels. Flickering embers sparked around her form, flittering about the room before fading from existence.

“How...” she repeated, slowly rising from her seat, her mane covering her baleful gaze. The council grimaced and subconsciously backed away from their chairs, bracing themselves for what comes next.

“HOW!?” She exploded furiously, her flowing rainbow mane bursting into a torrent of billowing hellfire as she forcefully brought her hoof down onto the table in front of her, splintering it and showering her peers with flecks of charred wooden shards. The council recoiled from the ferocity she displayed, trembling like foals before a pack of timberwolves about to pounce upon them.

"HOW ARE WE FAILING?!" She bellowed. The royal 'we' was in full effect and the very foundations of the castle shook in terror of her dominant presence. She stomped towards her council, webbing cracks across the floor, carefully observing their every reaction with the eyes of a hawk. "TELL ME! HOW IS IT THAT WE EQUESTRIANS ARE FAILING AGAINST THE HUMAN MONGRELS! WE, THE RIGHTEOUS! WE, THE STRONG! WE, THE HERALDS OF FRIENDSHIP AND HARMONY!?"

Members of the council opened their mouths to speak but found their words to fail them. Even Twilight, the most eloquent of speakers, found herself with her mouth agape like a landlocked goldfish in the face of her raging mentor.

By some miracle, or suicidal bravery, it was hard to tell in the context of things, somepony did manage to get a word out.

General Swift Stream, an unimpressive sergeant of the Royal Guard that had been reluctantly promoted to the prestigious rank through process of elimination, mumbled something through quivering lips.

“Y-your majesty,” he began, swallowing thickly after. Celestia immediately turned her heated gaze to the trembling general and he could’ve sworn he saw his life flash before his eyes. Gathering what little resolve he had left, he continued with his speech. “The-there-there’s just too many of t-them. The h-humans, they outnumber us a-a hundred to one! Their range is g-greater than ours, their weapons more p-potent, their t-tactics beyond merciless. The magic killers they employ all but assures we cannot retaliate in the face of such brutal ruthlessness!”

INCOMPETENCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE!” Celestia snapped, nostrils flaring, stamping her hooves In frustration. The shockwave she unleashed could be felt through the teeth as the various decor were knocked to the floor, shattering vases, picture frames and other antiquated baubles scattered throughout the castle’s winding hallways.

“WE FIGHT UNDER THE LIGHT OF HARMONY! OUR PEOPLE ARE THE UNYIELDING BULWARK OF ALL THAT IS RIGHT AND PURE IN THE WORLD! TIME AND TIME AGAIN HAVE WE BEEN ASSAILED BY DARK AND UNNATURAL FORCES, AND EACH TIME EQUESTRIA HAS REMAINED UNBOWED! OUR TRIUMPH AGAINST THE SINFUL STAIN OF HUMANITY WAS ALL BUT GUARANTEED, YET WE HAVE BEEN PUSHED TO THE BRINK OF ANNIHILATION!”

She glanced over her fearful generals, sneering at their blatant cowardice.

"COWARDS! ALL OF YOU, COWARDS!" She decried, descending into hysterics. Tears flowed down her cheeks as she raged, screaming and wailing to the shattered Heavens all the while her peers looked on in silent disbelief. The pony they all loved and placed their faith in was going absolutely insane right before their very eyes.

"GENERALS?! BAH! MY REAL GENERALS DIED DEFENDING EQUESTRIA TO THEIR LAST BREATH! THEY WERE LOYAL, BRAVE, AND ABOVE ALL ELSE, TRUE TO THE EQUESTRIAN IDEAL! YOU UNFORTUNATE LOT WERE THE LEFTOVERS OF GOOD STOCK SCRAPED FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL LIKE THE SCUM YOU ARE! YOU’RE NO BETTER THAN THAT TREACHEROUS VALKYRIE! CHICKEN-HEARTED AND UNRELIABLE!”

"WE HAVEN'T BEEN FIGHTING AS HARD AS WE SHOULD! THAT IS WHY THE HUMAN SCOURGE ARE TAINTING OUR SOIL WITH THEIR REVOLTING TECHNOLOGY, DESTROYING EVERYTHING THEY TOUCH IN EQUESTRIA LIKE THEY DO! LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO!

Celestia smashed another table, scattering more wooden debris across the room. The act did little to quell her volcanic anger.

“I WAS TOO LENIENT ON THEM!” She continued, stamping holes across the floor.

“I THOUGHT THEY COULD BE SAVED, THAT THEY COULD BE REDEEMED, BUT I WAS WRONG! HUMANITY IS INCAPABLE OF KNOWING LOVE OR KINDNESS! THEY ARE A DISCORDANT AND SELF DESTRUCTIVE BLACK HOLE THAT ONLY KNOW HOW TO TAKE AND TAKE AND TAKE UNTIL THERE IS NOTHING LEFT!”

“ONLY NOW DO I REALIZE THAT THEY SHOULD'VE BEEN ELIMINATED LONG AGO LIKE THE FILTHY VERMIN THEY ARE!”

“MAYBE THEN MY BELOVED SISTER WOULD STILL BE ALIVE!”

“MAYBE THEN CADANCE, FLURRY HEART AND THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE WOULD STILL BE WITH US!”

“MAYBE THEN MY BEAUTIFUL EQUESTRIA WOULD REMAIN UNMOLESTED BY THOSE DAMNABLE MONGRELS!”

“CURSE THEM!”

“CURSE THEM TO THE DEEPEST HELL THAT EXIST!”

“CURSE THEM IN THE NAME OF THE SUN AND MOON!”

“CURSE THEM FOR TAKING FROM ME ALL THAT I HOLD DEAR TO MY HEART!”

“CURSE THEM!”

”CURSE THEM!”

”CURSE THEM!”

Princess Celestia collapsed onto her haunches shortly after, burying her face into her hooves as she began loudly sobbing to herself. Pain and sorrow wracked through her body with each tearful heaving of her burning lungs. She laid there for some time, grief stricken and vulnerable. The burden of the crown had finally taken its toll on her. Everything that she had spent building up over the course of several millennia had been set ablaze by the flames of war. And throughout it all, she had been shown fear in a handful of ash.

Twilight and Spike watched the particular scene unfold before them, visibly shaken by the sheer rawness of it.

It just felt so wrong seeing Princess Celestia, the paragon of ponykind, fall apart at the seams like this.

Feeling Spike frantically nudge at her from behind, his way of telling Twilight to console her mentor, she tentatively walked over to Princess Celestia to comfort her. Before she even got a chance to speak, before she was even able to place a hoof on her back, Celestia’s hoof rose and angrily swatted away Twilight’s own.

“DON’T TOUCH ME!” Snapped Celestia, glaring daggers towards Twilight.

“P-Princess Celestia?” Twilight breathed, flinching as if she’d be physically struck by Celestia herself. “I-I was only t-trying to help.”

“HELP? HELP?!” Celestia roared, rising back on all fours and towering intimidatingly over Twilight. “IF YOU HAD WANTED TO HELP YOU SHOULD’VE PERFORMED YOUR DUTIES AS THE PRINCESS OF FRIENDSHIP AND PREVENTED FLUTTERSHY FROM ESCAPING WITH THE DAMNED RESISTANCE!” She proclaimed pointedly, taking several steps towards Twilight.

“I CAN LOOK PAST MY GENERAL’S FAULTS! THEIR RESPONSIBILITY IS GREAT, BUT OURS IS FAR GREATER THAN THEY CAN EVER POSSIBLY HOPE TO IMAGINE! YOUR DESTINY WAS TO ENSURE EQUESTRIA ASCENDS TO GREATER HEIGHTS OF PROSPERITY THROUGH THE LESSONS YOU’VE LEARNED! BUT HERE WE ARE, AT HUMANITY'S MERCY!”

Twilight’s pupils shrank to pinpricks at the accusation. Pain stabbed at her heart as she backed away from Celestia’s hostile advance, nearly toppling over herself backwards if she didn’t run into Spike.

“P-Princess Celestia, please! That wasn’t Twilight’s fault!” Spike defended, barely restraining the urge to fly to the hills. “Lyra was the one who tricked her into leaving!”

“THAT TRAITOR LYRA HEARTSTRINGS ONLY SERVED AS THE CATALYST FOR HER BETRAYAL! HAD TWILIGHT BEEN A BETTER FRIEND THEN FLUTTERSHY WOULD STILL BE ON OUR SIDE AND THE CHAIN OF EVENTS LEADING UP TO OUR MISERABLE PREDICAMENT NEVER WOULD’VE HAPPENED TO BEGIN WITH!” Celestia rebuked.

"Bu-but I tried! I-I really tried!" Twilight sputtered, raising her hooves defensively. "Fluttershy was a lost cause, she just wouldn't see reason and fled with Discord before the girls and I could talk it out with her!"

"YOU SHOULD HAVE REALIZED THE SEEDS OF DISSENT HAD ALREADY BEEN SOWN BEFORE THEY TOOK ROOT! FLUTTERSHY CONSPIRED TO TURN AGAINST US LONG BEFORE YOU CONFRONTED HER THAT FATEFUL NIGHT! YOU HAVE HAD AMPLE OPPORTUNITY TO CORRECT HER FROM WALKING THE WRONG PATH, YET YOUR LAPSE IN JUDGEMENT HAS COST US EVERYTHING!” Celestia seethed, causing Twilight and Spike to shrink down into the floor.

“BECAUSE OF FLUTTERSHY’S DEFECTION WE LOST THE ABILITY TO UTILIZE THE ELEMENTS OF HARMONY, EFFECTIVELY ANCHORING US TO THIS CRUEL REALITY WE ARE FORCED TO ENDURE! AT A TIME, WE COULD’VE SIMPLY TAKEN HER BACK BY FORCE, BEND HER TO EQUESTRIA’S WILL IF NECESSARY! BUT THE DESTRUCTION OF PONYVILLE AND THE SUBSEQUENT DEATHS OF PINKIE PIE AND RARITY SHE HELPED TO CAUSE HAVE ALL BUT ASSURED EQUESTRIA IS MAROONED ON THIS DOOMED PLANET FOR ALL ETERNITY!” Celestia's bloodshot eyes narrowed upon Twilight’s trembling form, who felt her blood freeze at the cold gaze.

“YOUR INABILITY TO MAINTAIN YOUR FRIENDSHIPS HAVE JEOPARDIZED OUR VERY EXISTENCE! TWILIGHT SPARKLE, YOU HAVE FAILED ME!” She scolded. Every word that left her mouth were like verbal nails embedding themselves into Twilight’s psyche.

"I-I... I" Twilight babbled dumbly, too shocked and stupefied to manage a coherent response.

Her expression was one of utter heartbreak. It was bad enough she had lost so much during the war, but being dressed down in front of the war council by her mentor and mother-figure was beyond despairing. Celestia was in agony, that much was understandable. But to think she would deliver such a harsh tongue lashing. Even Spike was left without words, having found himself rooted to the spot in white-knuckle terror with his grip on Twilight so tight his talons were digging into her flesh.

"Your m-majesty?" A general spoke up, an earth pony named Holdfast. "W-what if..." He paused, contemplating if he should even say it aloud. They'd already been chewed out for Steamer's meek reply. Swallowing thickly, he steeled his nerves and asked the one question that was without a doubt on everyone's mind but were too afraid to ask given what they've been exposed to in the last twenty minutes.

"W-what if we s-surrender like Long Haul suggested?" He concluded as she suddenly felt every eye in the room turn to him, Princess Celestia's chief among them. The look that she gave him would've incinerated him to ash in an instant. A pregnant silence filled the room, it was so quiet everyone could hear the blood pulsing in their ears.

Then, with a tone of finality, Celestia spoke.

"...Out," she muttered, her fiery mane growing brighter and hotter with each passing second. The flames began licking the floor and drapery, singing them coal black as they slowly caught fire. The war council felt their hearts beat wildly in their chest, pounding almost painfully against their rib cage as Celestia sucked in a lungful of air and send them flying out of the room with a single word.

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOUT!"


Princess Celestia would continue to hold her defiant stance against the forces of humanity even as the home she loved so dearly burned around her. A cloak of despair would wrap itself around the ruined city of Canterlot, driving many to suicide or girding their convictions to die a glorious death for Equestria, seeing it as the only way out in desperate times.

And while Celestia did apologize to Twilight for the things she said, the damage was too profound to repair in a single encounter.

She will eventually die alone years later, hated by all for ages to come with the only comfort being that Equestria and her little ponies not only survived in the end, but thrived in their new environment.

Celestia always did play the long game... even if she was merely a spectator watching on the side.

Author's Note:

For anyone who is curious. Project J.G.W. from the innovation chapter stands for Jocelyn Gordon Whitehead. He was the guy who punched Harry Houdini.