• Published 13th Jan 2021
  • 2,386 Views, 182 Comments

Classroom Changeling - Someguy458



In the middle of Biology Class, Rove Hummel turns into a Changeling.

  • ...
8
 182
 2,386

Chapter 5: The Smell Of Burning Flowers

"Oh," was all I could mutter as I stared at Osmond's phone screen. There, sitting at a comfortable 27,000 views, was a collection of pictures of me — as a Changeling — lying on the floor of the school, staring at my own hoof with a mortified look on my face. Through the craziness of today, I'd completely forgotten that several students had pulled out their phones.

"This thing's practically blowing up!" He exclaimed, turning the phone back to face himself. " 'Classmate just turned into a Changeling, WTF #ClassroomChangeling'. And that's just one of the posts!"

I groaned, sinking to the ground. "So basically, this is already public knowledge, whether I like it or not?"

He nodded, "Yup."

I placed my hooves onto my head. Great, this was exactly what we DIDN'T want.

He then spoke up, "Though most of the comments seem sympathetic."

I blinked. "Wha?"

He approached me, scrolling down to the comments section. Indeed, the majority of the comments were something like "He looks so scared" or "I just wanna give him a hug". Of course, there were still the usual trolls, sceptics, and conservatives, but it really did seem like the majority of people, once they got over the initial shock, were —

Suddenly, Osmond's phone started to ring. He looked at the screen, blinking. "It's Lily," he stated, answering the call. "Hello? ...Yes, I've seen it... It's actually Rove..."

As the person on the other end spoke, his eyes widened. "...Really? You're asking us to?! ....alright, we'll be over in a bit."

He hung up, then turned to address me. "Lily just asked us to come over, and quickly."

I did a double-take. "She did? But didn't you say she's been holed up in her house since Saturday?"

He shrugged. "She said she'd explain there; it sounds urgent."

I looked pleadingly to Mazarine, who'd been off to one side while we talked. She smiled, "Alright, I'll drive you there."

I grinned, rushing up to give her legs a hug. "Thanks, Mom."


Thankfully, Ms. Finch wasn't outside this time, so Osmond, Mazarine, and I were able to get into the car without any hassle. Bea opted to stay home, since she didn't know Lily.

During the ride, I asked, "What do you think she wants?"

Osmond shrugged. "I'd guess, but I don't wanna jinx it."

I nodded, "Yeah, that's probably smart."

A moment of silence passed.

"So..." he finally began, "You're a Changeling now, huh?"

"Yup."

He observed, "You seem rather calm about this."

I shrugged. "I guess so. On one hoof, there's all the benefits of being a shape-shifting bug; on the other hand, there's still that lingering sense of loss of my humanity."

He pointed out, "If you figure out how to shape-shift, you could just turn back into a human."

I sighed. "I know, but I'd still know I'm not really human."

Osmond nodded, "Yeah, that's true..."

I lowered my head. "I want to be okay with this, I really do... My mind keeps trying to convince me that my life could be better if I embrace this change. Am I better this way, or is that just my reeling mind trying to cope?"

For the longest of moments, Osmond sat there, absorbing what I'd said.

Then he smiled. "Well, no matter what you decide, I'll be there for you. I'm not your friend because of how you look; I like being your friend because you're a great guy."

I stared at him, eyes misting over. "Y-you really mean that?"

He leaned over, extending out his arms for a hug that I gladly accepted. His aura was orange with just the barest hint of pink.


We spent the rest of the car ride talking about various things, trying to get my mind off of my predicament. By the time we arrived, we were laughing and bantering, as if nothing were wrong.

"Sorry to cut your conversation short, but we're here," Mazarine pointed out.

I looked forward, taking in the neighborhood. Truth be told, I hadn't actually been to Lily's house before. Even so, it was exactly how I'd imagined: not too attention-drawing, while still being pretty in its own right.

I decided to just get straight out of the car this time. Since I was already all over social media, it didn't make much sense to try and hide myself. Osmond and Mazarine got out as well, and we all approached the door.

But before we could even get to the door, it opened to reveal Lily's mother, Mrs. Brantley. She seemed rather frayed, as if she hadn't slept all weekend.

As I'd soon learn, that may very well have been the case.

She took one look at me, nodded in acknowledgement, then shouted back into the house, "Lily, your friends are here!"

"Bring them inside!" Lily's voice called back.

Mrs. Brantley turned back to us. "If you'll follow me," she stated, then backed into the house. We all looked at each other nervously, then stepped inside.

The room we entered was a nice enough living room, furnished with two sofas, an armchair, and a table that overlooked a small television. It also faintly smelled like ash, though that was easily explained by the ashtray on the table (although one thing I failed to notice was that the ashtray was brand-new).

I began the conversation, "Nice place you got here, Mrs. Brantley."

She smiled, but her aura was still indigo. "Thank you... Rove, is it?"

I nodded. "Yes, ma'am. I'm assuming you're wondering what I am?" She nodded hesitantly, and I gave her a good-natured smile. "Yeah, I'm not fully used to it, either."

Mrs. Brantley chuckled awkwardly. "Neither is Lily..."

Osmond raised an eyebrow. "What's that mean?"

She shook her head, "It'd be better if she told you herself."

Osmond and I exchanged a nervous look. That didn't sound good...

Mrs. Brantley turned towards a nearby hallway. "You ready, Lily?"

Her anxious voice came around the corner, "Ready as I'll ever be..."

I began to ask, "Ready for whaaaaaaaaaaa....?"

Then I trailed off, completely dumbstruck as Lily eked around the corner.

Or rather, a dragon in Lily's clothing.

Her green eyes housed thin pupils like a lizard's; her reddish-orange hair had carried over to her main scale color, with a very desaturated chartreuse for the underbelly; a row of dark maroon scales ran lengthwise down her spine, ending in a sharp arrowhead on the tip of her tail; two horns matching the underbelly's tone curved down from her ears; and, in the most eye-catching part of it all, two folded, reptilian wings poked out through special holes in the modified shirt she wore.

Neither Osmond or I could say anything for the longest of moments, as we stared at the being our friend had become. She shifted uncomfortably under our gazes, clearly abashed.

Finally, Osmond broke the silence: "Okay, now I'm jealous."

Both Lily and I stared at him as though he were crazy.

He just shrugged, "What? You have to admit, she looks cool!"

She took a step back, blushing profusely. "Y-you really think so?" When he nodded, she smiled benignly. "Thank you, Os; you have no idea how disconcerting this has all been..."

I piped up, "I may have an idea, though."

She looked at me, her smile dropping. "I can hardly believe it happened to you, too..."

I pshawed, "Hey, look on the bright side; at least you still have hands." To emphasize my point, I held up a hoof.

She grimaced. "Right..."

Osmond, being the great guy that he is, decided to deflect the conversation and break up the tension. "So, is this why you've been holed up in here all weekend?"

Lily blushed. "I changed on Saturday, and we've been trying to figure it out ever since."

I frowned. "No such luck, I presume?"

She shook her head sadly.

I... I didn't know how to feel about that. My reasons have already been stated, so I'll refrain from repeating myself.

Although now, I should probably add 'Lily is clearly uncomfortable' to the 'Cons' list.

Author's Note:

EDIT (3/6/2022): Edited Lily's description to match her design tweaks.