• Published 6th Jan 2021
  • 117 Views, 4 Comments

Discovered - WALN-Zell



Baroque learns of Gryphonstone's terrible fate and that he's been found by those he left behind.

  • ...
 4
 117

Chapter 2 - Why

“Brother? No. No no no no no. Don’t call me that. I know how this works. You returned my daughter to my grateful arms, but now you have to then rip me away. You may call me a deserter. No. You have it backwards. I didn’t abandon the Brotherhood. If anything, the Brotherhood abandoned me. Left me for dead. The mission went awry. I was stuck under a carriage. My partners said they’d be back for me. They never came back.”

“What exactly happened? Why did you never come back?” questioned Thunderous.

“I managed to free myself. I was completely uninjured, but I didn’t make my way back. I laid low. I expected the Brotherhood to send a team to find me. Months went by and no one showed up. I eventually learned about the killings and the bureau attacks. The Gold Talon Assassin hunters had been killing our most skilled members. I had already made a cover story for myself and settled down in Gryphonstone. So I stayed. I got a little too comfortable, because I met the most beautiful, kind, and gentle soul I’d ever seen. And I fell in love. I married her.”

“You mean Grelka?”

“Yes. And little Gabby too. Only a few months old. It didn’t matter that I looked nothing like her and her mother. I loved her like she was my own and so did she. She still does. I still do. I would’ve stayed in Gryphonstone with them for the rest of my life, but then, one day, I made a terrible mistake. I saw a group of young thugs attacking a girl. They were going to kill her, so I killed them first. All of them. The girl… I didn’t make it in time. Some time later, guards came to our home and arrested me for murder. They made it clear to me that they weren’t actually guards. The thugs I killed were friends of theirs. Part of the same gang. And they wanted my head for what I did. I had one last goodbye to Grelka and Gabby before they threw me in a carriage and rode off. They didn’t bother taking me to jail. They stopped by an alleyway, dragged me out of the carriage, and began beating me. But they forgot to take my hidden blade. I killed one, but his friend broke my knee and femur. I stabbed him so many times, blinded by pain and adrenaline fueled rage. I took their carriage and rode off. I knew if I went back, I’d put Grelka and Gabby at risk. The last thing I did in Gryphonstone was go to the hospital for my injuries. After that I bought a ticket for a ship back to Equestria and then for a train back to Ponyville. My leg never fully recovered. What good was I to the Assassins at that point. I haven’t heard anything from them until today. So there’s my story. The last one I’ll ever tell, I guess. I beg you, leave Gabby out of this. She doesn’t know anything about this. So go ahead. Leave her with no one. I can’t even stand and fight, so just get it over with.”

“You mistake your actions for treason. Baroque, you’re not a deserter. You’re a casualty. If you had switched your loyalties to Gold Talon or used your skills for personal benefit, that’d be reason to kill you. But you did nothing of the sort. You have had the right to leave the Brotherhood at any time so long as you kept to the tenets and spoke not a word of the Brotherhood.”

“So… that’s it? You’re just letting me go?”

“It’s not my place to force you to do something you don’t want to do. If you don’t want to return to the Brotherhood, then I respect that decision.”

“I don’t know what to say. Everything is… this has all been too much for me.” Before either could say anything more, Gabby came back down the stairs holding an old ragdoll in her talons. “Gabby? What’s this?” Baroque asked.

“Do you remember when Mom first sent me over to see you? She gave me a package that she said was for you and told me not to open it. When I got here, you opened the package. There was a letter in it from Mom and this doll. Mom said this doll was special. The letter said it was the first gift I would ever get from you.”

“Gabby.” Baroque tried to get up, but his leg was still acting up. Thunderous helped him up. Baroque put one arm around Gabby and looked down at the doll. “You’ll always be in my heart, love.” he whispered. “Thank you again, Thunderous, for saving Gabby. I can never fully repay you for this. Here.” he kissed Gabby on the head and then walked carefully over to Thunderous and the door. “I’ll see you out.”

Baroque walked out onto the front porch with Thunderous and then closed the door behind him. “No offense, but I hope this is the last time we meet. My time with the Assassins is over. I might not kill to protect the innocent of the world anymore, but…” he gestured back to the door. “I will still do anything to make sure she’s safe. She’s my creed now.”

“I would have it no other way. Farewell, Adept Baroque Brush.”

Comments ( 3 )

So this is a crossover of assassin’s creed?

10618844
A little more than that. Actually quite a lot more than that. This is just one small story in a larger universe. A larger and deeper lore.
Yes. I put the Assassins in there. I started this whole project when I was in middle school. I was... 15 maybe? 20 now. It all started with one character. One OC.
Now there's a whole world. Separate storylines intertwining with one another.

Login or register to comment