• Published 2nd Jan 2021
  • 1,510 Views, 524 Comments

Pokémon: Equestrian Champions - Banshee531



Flash Sentry's journey through the Equestria Region continues as his greatest battles await him. And as his team train to overcome any challenge, can he claim victory, or will the opposition be to much to handle?

  • ...
4
 524
 1,510

PreviousChapters Next
Stand and Fight

"WAZ-UUUUUP!" Present Mic yelled to the entire audience. "Well, this is it folks! We've had an amazing Equestria League this year, but now it's time for the closing event. The battle to determine whether or not we'll be getting a new champion!"

Up in the stands, Twilight and the rest of Flash's friends were all cheering, ready to see the start of the match.

"Let's welcome this year's hopeful challenger. He's faced many powerful opponents leading up to this point, and now he hopes to claim victory one last time and earn the title of Equestria League Champion. Please welcome to the stage, Flash...SENTRY!"

The crowd cheered as Flash and Springer stepped onto the red podium, smiling as they waved at the crowd. He turned to his friends, all nodding at him before he looked back at the cameras, realizing the whole of Equestria was watching him.


In a town several miles away from Canterlot in the town's Pokémon Center, a bunch of trainers were watching the battle unfold on the center's tv. As this happened, Derpy gave Nurse Redheart a package before her Swirlutz tugged at her pant leg, the girl soon watching the match with her Pokémon.


In Fillydelphia, Pharynx and Ocellus were in the gym watching. Ocellus was patting a Grubirth calmly while Pharynx had his Kingsect bring in an extra tv to show the other Pokémon there the match.


On the edge of the Ghastly Gorge, Solid Stone was watching a small tv, amazed the kid he let pass through the gorge had survived and had also won the Equestria League.


In the Baltimare's Pokémon Center, Cheese Sandwich and his Bloxx all watched the battle.

Pinkie and Maud's family were also watching. Despite their rather dull expressions, they were excited to see if the trainer that beat their daughter could win against the champion.


In a large mansion somewhere in the countryside, Fancy Pants and Fleur were watching a large TV while their Persian and Furfrou sat beside them.


Over at Camp Everfree, Gloriosa and Timber had returned to the camp after Timber lost. Glorisa had to drag Timber to the tv, the teen still angry about what had happened. This was followed by his Breloom helping Glorisa get Timber on the couch to watch the match.


Speed Demon, Track Starr, Manectric and Arcanine were also watching. They were hoping that Hopper would be in this battle, but would be fine if Flash just won the whole thing.


At Cherry Hill Ranch, Cherry Jubilee and her Scrapound worker watched eagerly. They had been shocked when they learned about Sombra's true self and how Flash had led the charge to defeat him. Now here he was, trying to stand as Equestria's strongest.


In a town just outside the Grand Desert, a teen and his Shadusk stepped out of the police station. They had just been released from their imprisonment for good behavior and were eager to start their new life off on the right foot, all the while wondering what the ones who had put them on this path were doing.


In Appaloosa, Thunderhooves and Strongheart were watching along with the rest of their tribe as the teen who helped Thunderhooves see the good in modern technology took the stage.


In Cloudsdale, Rainbow and Fluttershy's parents were watching. Bow and Windy had been upset when Rainbow was beaten, but were glad her friend was able to avenge her and was now preparing to take on the Champion.


In the Dragon Kingdom, Hopper watched the TV closely along with Princess, Ryu and Kaida. They were all rooting for Flash, the other dragon Pokémon around them all cheering and roaring.


At the Pokérus Training Grounds, Swift Knuckles sat on the floor, watching as Flash took the stage. Clearly, he had taken what he had learned there to heart.


Over in Vocanctus, Terramar and Silverstream watched as the winner of the Ocean Champions tournament prepared for battle. In another city, Wingill and his Reptidal Fin were also watching, both growling at the screen.


Over in Manehatten, Coco and Fee-Fee watched from their store. Though Springer wasn't wearing the clothes she had given him, she knew he was still feeling the confidence they gave him.


Poindexter and his Smooze were watching from his lab, Poindexter trying to figure out if Flash had a mathematical chance at defeating Shining. But his research only threw up a fifty-fifty percent chance.


On his estate, Baron Von Babbelon was watching the match with his daughter and son-in-law.


In another town, Sonata and her sisters watched the battle. "Come on," she whispered, "I know you can do it." She was practically vibrating on her seat, "You can win." Her sisters giggled at her, their Popplios all cheering with Sonata.


Finally, Lightning, Grand and their Pokemon were all watching from a Center in the woods. Grand smiled while Lightning was simply watching stoically.


Back in the stadium, trainers who had lost in the tournament were also waiting. Heath, Micro, Sandalwood, Sugarcoat and so many more couldn't wait to see if Flash could actually pull this victory off. Many had high hopes while others were sceptical, and a few believed that Shining Armor was gonna crush the would-be upstart. But only time would tell as the lights suddenly switch off and bathed everyone in darkness before a single spotlight illuminated the blue podium.

"And now!" Present Mic continued as a figure began to walk out of the darkness, "Let's welcome to the stage a man who needs no introduction. Planning to protect his title for a seventh year in a row, the all mighty knight that stands for truth, justice and the Equestrian way. Our champion. Shining...ARMOR!"

The crowd loudly cheered as Shining stepped into the light and headed up the podium. As he did, his coat fluttered in the wind while he stared at his opponent. A smile could be seen on his face as he and Flash locked eyes.

"Alright kid...you did it. You pushed yourself beyond your limits and faced your own shortcomings to get to this point. In face of the losses you've suffered on the road getting to this point, you took those defeats and used them as motivation to get stronger. Gone is the naive, fool-hearty kid I once saw stand up to a murderous Lucario. Now stands before me a confident, strong, kind man who has defeated gym after gym with the friends he has made." He reached the end of his podium and looked Flash over. "I'll confess, part of me wants to lose to you right now." He shook his head, "But no...that would be pity. And you don't deserve that type of disrespect. So...I will go all out." He slowly raised his hand up as he talked. "I will do my very best to crush you and your Pokemon. Why?" He then dropped his arm and pointed at Flash so fast Flash felt the wind come off it, "Because you...have earned...my...RESPECT!" With that, fireworks exploded out of the podium beside him and filled the stadium with light.

The crowd cheered as the last of the fireworks went off, the lights coming back on as Flash said, "Thanks Shining. And you're right, I don't want your pity. If I'm gonna win this battle, is gonna be after I beat you at your best with my own strength." Shining laughed back and nodded, Rotom Drone flying down and hovered above the pit.

"The battle between Flash Sentry and Shining Armor is about to begin," it chimed in, "The battle will be a full six on six battle, and when three of one trainer's Pokémon are unable to battle, there will be a temporary break and the battlefield will change. Only when all of one trainer's Pokémon are unable to battle will the battle be over." As it said that, the sound of gears and mechanisms filled the air, everybody looking down as the battlefield raised up.

"It's time to see which of two battlefields our future champion will be battling on." With that, the battlefield was revealed to be one covered by a grassy terrain. But that wasn't all, as multiple pools of water could be seen in several different locations. "It's the grass and water field. It'll be interesting to see which what this choice of terrain will do to the battler's strategy."

"That's a good battlefield for Riptide and Prongs," Rarity commented.

"But Viper will have trouble with the water," Twilight pointed out, "Flash'll probably choose to keep him back until after the field change if he can help it."

"Skyler and Astro probably won't have much issue here," Cloud added, "It all depends on what Pokémon Shining Armor has brought to the party."

They all nodded and looked back at the field, as Shining took out a Pokeball. "Alright Flash," he enlarged it. "Time to show you what being a champion is all about. You might think you stand a chance with all the training you've done, but if you think that means you'll get an easy win, then you don't stand a ghost of a chance." With that, he threw the Pokeball. In a burst of red light, the Ghost-type Banshriek appeared and floated above the battlefield.

"Ban," it wailed while hovering above a pool of water.

"Banshriek," Flash whispered as Springer growled. He remembered their last match against Banshriek and how bad it had gone. Springer might have learned Bone Rush then, but they had still lost.

Flash turned to him and shook his head, "Sorry bud. I know you wanna even the score after last time, but with everything going on, I think we should go with our team's ghost buster." Springer turned to nod at him, knowing the battle was more important than his pride. "Alright then!" He took out a Pokeball, "Let's do this! Skyler, I choose you!" He threw the ball into the air and his Tornavian appeared, taking to the sky.

"TORE!" He swirled in the air, stopping and glaring over at Banshriek.

Mic: "It's Tornavian verses Banshriek."

Celestia: "An excellent choice by Flash, given his Tornavian's immunity to Banshriek's best moves."

Cadance: "But Shining will be used to facing off against opponents with a type advantage. Flash shouldn't take this battle lightly."

Luna: "This match will either prove why Shining gained the championship title, or show how far Flash has grown as a trainer. Either way, it'll be a sight to behold."

"Indeed!" Present Mic stood up. "This is it, the championship match! The winner will be crowned the strongest trainer in Equestria, and the loser will be part of history and have their head held high. Rotom!" The drone projected the holographic screen, showing the numbers that began to count down. "Let's get this battle started. In three...two...OOOOOOONE! BATTLE BEGIN!"

"Steel Wing!" Flash ordered as Skyler charged, his wings glowing bright as he zeroed in on Banshriek.

"Sucker Punch!" Suddenly, Banshriek teleported across the field and threw its ghostly fist right into Skyler's chest. The bird squawked as he was knocked back, falling back before flaring his wings and flying back up.

Luna: "Flash calls out the first move, but it's Shining who lands the first hit. Showing that even with a type disadvantage, the right move can make all the difference."

"Aerial Ace!" Flash added, Skyler flying up before dive-bombing.

"Dark Pulse!" Banshriek pulled one of its hands into its oversized sleeve before pointing it at Skyler, a stream of dark energy rings exploding out at the Flying-type.

"Tore!" Skyler spun mid-air and dodged the attack, shooting past Banshriek before curving upward and slamming into the Ghost-type. Banshriek cried out as it was knocked back, Skyler flapping away next as Banshriek stopped itself above one of the pools.

"Steel Wing!" Skyler dived again, his wings glowing. But as he reached the pool and skimmed along the surface, Shining called out another attack.

"Ghostly Wail!" This surprised everyone, as they knew that attack wouldn't hurt Skyler.

"Ban...SHRIEK!" The Ghost-type wailed, unleashed another powerful soundwave that echoed throughout the battlefield. Almost everyone covered their ears, though Skyler didn't seem to even hear the cry. However, the soundwaves struck the water on the pool and caused it to be send it flying towards Skyler in the form of a massive wave.

"Tore?" Skyler asked as he saw the wave, "Nay!" He was struck by the wave, pushing him down as his Steel Wing faded.

"Skyler!" Flash gasped as Banshriek stopped screaming. A moment later, the water broke and Skyler could be seen flopping around in the water. Clearly, the Flying-type wasn't built for swimming. "You gotta get out of there!"

"Too late," Shining yelled, "Dark Pulse!" Banshriek fired the energy rings again, the stream hitting the water and making it explode. Skyler cried out as he was blasted out of the water, only to crash into the dirt.

"No!" Flash cried, Springer yipping at his teammate to get up. And as Skyler began to struggle to his feet, Banshriek flew in close to him. "Steel Wing!" As Banshriek got within striking range, Skyler spun around and slashed at it with his wings.

"Shriek!"

"Shadow Claw, on the ground!" Banshriek's razor-like claws glowed as it spun around and hit the ground, which had turned muddy thanks to the water blasted out of the nearby pool. The mud flew into the air and hit Skyler in the eyes, making the bird squawk as he staggered back. "Now use Dark Pulse!"

"Ban!" Banshriek flew around Skyler and launched the dark rings from its sleeve, about to hit the bird as it tried to get the mud out of his eyes.

"Get out of there!" Flash told Skyler, only for the Dark Pulse to slam into his back.

"TORE!" He was blasted into one of the pools, stopping just before he fell into the water. Flash grimaced at this, only for a bulb to go off in his head...and then Shining gave the command he had been hoping for.

"Another Dark Pulse!" Banshriek flew up and fired the attack, which shot straight for Skyler.

"Fly straight up!" Skyler heard this and with all his strength, he kicked off the ground and took to the air. The Dark Pulse hit the water, causing it to explode and sending a burst of the liquid into the air. "Now look down!" Skyler did and ended up getting a face full of water.

Everyone watched as the water washed away the mud, allowing Skyler to open his eyes, "Tore!" he cheered.

Mic: "Wow. Talk about impressive. Flash managed to turn his opponent's attack to his advantage and clean his Pokémon's eyes."

Celestia: "Sometimes, the best way to win a fight is to let your opponent defeat themselves."

Flash pointed at Banshriek, "Use Aerial Ace!" Skyler dived down for Banshriek, instantly slamming into the ghost.

"Tore/Ban!" They both screamed, the blow sending the Scream Pokémon flying back.

"Now, Tornado Burst!" Skyler began to spin into the tornado as Banshriek recovered while floating over to one of the pools.

"Shadow Claw!" Shining ordered, Banshriek summoning the energy around its razor blade fingers. It then slammed both hands into the pool as Skyler exploded out of the tornado. The energy of the Shadow Claw caused the water to evaporate, creating a cloud of steam around Banshriek that Skyler flew into. This allowed Banshriek to dodge the attack, Skyler unable to see. He flew out of the steam and found himself skimming along the ground, only to hear Shining call out again.

"Dark Pulse!" Banshriek appeared above Skyler and fired the energy rings from its sleeves, hitting Skyler in the back.

"TORNAVIAN!" He yelped as he was flung into the ground, the rings pounding him.

Mic: "Ouch! That bombardment's gotta hurt!"

Luna: "Skyler needs to find a way to escape the attack. The way he's pinned down has him trapped."

Cadance: "If Flash doesn't find a way to get him out of there soon, he's gonna be in trouble."

The dark rings stopped at this, Banshriek floating away from Skyler. The bird tried to push himself up at this, but he appeared to be having trouble lifting his own weight. "Come on Skyler!" Flash called out, "You can do it!" Skyler tried, but he just couldn't lift himself up.

"This could be the end of Skyler," Twilight gulped.

Flash watched as Skyler appeared helpless, only to take a deep breath, "Skyler, get up! You're stronger than this! You've always pushed yourself, ever since the first day we met. You've aimed for the sky again and again, and you've pushed passed your limits and reached your goals!" Skyler heard this and looked up at his trainer, seeing the grin on his face, "I believe in you Skyler. Do you believe in yourself?"

Skyler replied by pushing himself back to his feet and spreading his wings. "TORNAVIAN!"

Mic: "Tornavian is back up and looking ready to do some serious damage!"

Cadance: "Flash's belief in his Pokémon sure is inspiring."

"Steel Wing!" Flash ordered, Skyler leaping into the air.

"Dark Pulse!" Shining countered as Banshriek unleashed the dark energy rings, but Skyler spun in the air, dodging the attack as his wings glowed. And with a mighty cry, he swooped down and started slashing at the Scream Pokémon again and again. Banshriek cried out with every hit, only to yank away after a fifth blow.

"Tornado Burst!" Shining watched as Skyler flew up and began to spin.

"Sucker Punch!" Banshriek shot up as the tornado exploded, Skyler dashing out as Banshriek suddenly faded out of existence for a single moment as Skyler flew past him. A moment later, Banshriek appeared and tried to punch him in the back, but Skyler barrel-rolled out of the way, not losing any momentum from the Tornado Burst and circling around to tackle the ghost head on.

"Ban!" The ghost yelped as he was knocked into one of the pools, Skyler following after him.

"Shadow Claw!" As it skimmed along the water, Banshriek slashed at it with the energy claws and created another steam cloud.

"Aerial Ace!" Skyler accelerated and flew into the cloud as Banshriek flew up out of it. But before Shining could order another attack, Skyler shot out of the top of the cloud.

"TORE!" He roared as he slammed into Banshriek.

"Finish this!" Flash called out, his next two words shocking almost everyone in the audience. "Giga Impact!"

"Is he nuts?!" Rainbow yelped as Skyler flew straight up, circling around before dive-bombing, "That attack's not gonna hurt it!"

"It'll just phase right through it," Sunset added as the energy slipstream appeared around Skyler. However, Banshriek just stood there, staring at the bird as he charged at him.

"Flash!" Pinkie continued, "Don't do it!"

"You'll leave yourself open to an attack!" Fluttershy finished, Twilight, Spike and Doc all smiling and sharing a look that told one another they weren't gonna ruin the surprise for everyone.

Mic: "Flash seems to have forgotten that Normal-type attacks are useless against Ghost-types. Not the type of mistake you'd expect to see from someone attempting to steal the title of champion."

Celestia: "Maybe..."

Luna: "Or maybe Flash knows something we don't."

Shining frowned as he watched Skyler rocket closer towards Banshriek. "Flash, I expected more from you. You normally wouldn't make such a rookie mistake." He glanced down at Flash and saw him smiling, making him grimace, "Which means this isn't a mistake! Banshriek, get out of there!"

"Ban?" The Ghost-type asked, looking back up at the oncoming Giga Impact. But before it could try and escape, the meteor slammed into it. And instead of phasing through it like Banshriek expected, the Scream Pokémon was blasted back by force. "BANSHRIEK!" It cried out before hitting the ground and skidding along it until it fell into one of the pools.

Everyone in the stadium gasped at this, more so when Banshriek floated to the surface of the pool with swirls in its eyes. The Rotom Drone flew down and scanned the Ghost-type as Skyler glided down and landed in front of Flash.

"Banshriek is unable to battle. Tornavian is the winner." The crowd was absolutely stunned, many unable to process what had just happened before cheers came out of their mouths. Shining returned his Pokémon, while Mic asked what everyone was wondering.

Mic: "What...just happened?"

Celestia: "Banshriek was beaten using Giga Impact."

Mic: "But how?"

Luna: "Hmm...I would assume it was likely Tornavian's ability: Scrappy, which allows Normal and Fighting-type attacks to hit Ghost-types."

Cadance: "Shining realized this, but not fast enough to save Banshriek. Flash certainly pulled the wool over everyone's eyes."

Mic: "Indeed. And now Flash has taken the first win of the match."

"Alright!" Spike cheered, "Way to go Flash!"

"He certainly had me worried there," Rarity sighed, "But I should have known Flash wouldn't make such a basic error." They all nodded as Flash took out a Pokeball.

"Take a break for now bud," he told Skyler before pulling him back inside the ball. As he did, Shining took out another Pokeball.

"Alright Flash," he threw it into the air and caught it. "I'll admit you caught me by surprise there. But I don't fall for the same trick twice. You were able to handle Banshriek's speed, but can you handle a more defensive battle style? Ankyload!" He threw the ball, "Stand strong!" In a flash, the giant Fossil Pokémon appeared.

"Key!" It roared, stomping his feet onto the ground.

Mic: "Shining's second Pokémon is Ankyload! Talk about a powerhouse!"

Luna: "Personal story: I was actually the one to revive that Ankyload back as an Armadiload. It soon evolved and went on a rampage that I barely managed to stop with the help of the very same trainer now battling Ankyload. Afterwards, I sent it to Shining because I knew the champion would be able to teach it to control itself in this new world. Glad to see I was right."

Celestia: "Flash is gonna need something tough if he wants to beat such a powerful Armadiload."

"Alright," Flash turned to his Riolu, "You're up Springer!" He nodded and ran out onto the field, ready to do battle.

Mic: "It's Ankyload verses Riolu. Big and strong against small and quick. Which will claim victory?"

"Aura Sphere!" Flash yelled, Springer firing the orb at the dinosaur...who just stood there.

"Tail Hammer!" It spun around with a glowing tail, the mace on the end hitting the orb and exploding.

"Bone Rush!" Springer formed the bone staff and leapt at Ankyload, landing on his shell and started swinging his weapon.

"Ri!" He roared, hitting the shell in several different places, causing scratches to appear. But before he could do anything else, Ankyload started bucking like a bronco, throwing him off, "Rio!" He hit the floor, his staff remaining intact as Ankyload raised a foot.

"Body Slam!" Ankyload slammed his foot down, but Springer managed to roll onto his back and use his staff to block it. The Riolu winced at the force as he felt the dinosaur push down on him.

"Get out of there!" Flash added, Springer putting some extra effort into pushing Ankyload back. And with one solid heave, the foot came off him and he managed to roll out from under it just in time. "Now, Aura Sphere!" He fired the orb and it struck Ankyload in the face, but the Rock Steel-type just walked through the attack.

"Ancient Power!" Ankyload glowed before a light flew off him and formed an orb, which it shot toward Springer.

"RI!" Springer yelped as he was blasted back, Ankyload charging as he hit the dirt.

"Heavy Slam!" Leaping onto its back feet, Ankyload prepared to smash both feet into Springer, only for the Riolu to roll away just in time.

"Extreme Speed!" Springer got to his feet before shooting off, lightning sparking around him as he circled the dinosaur and started repeatedly slamming a fist or foot into him. But the Fossil Pokémon didn't even seem phased, Springer charging and preparing to slam his foot into Ankyload's side.

"Block it!" Ankyload shifted his body so Springer hit its shell. "Tail Hammer!" As Springer bounced off the hard surface, Ankyload swung its tail and smacked the Riolu.

"RIOLU!" Springer screamed as he was sent flying over a pond.

"Springer!" Flash cried as he bounced along the battlefield, moaning when he came to a stop.

"This isn't good," Twilight gulped, "That was probably a critical hit."

"That Ankyload's got major power," Rainbow added.

"You gotta be careful Flash!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"Springer!" Flash called out, "Come on back bud." Springer pushed himself back to his feet and rushed back over to Flash, who patted him on the head. "It's alright. Take a break for now and be ready for later." Springer nodded as Flash took out a Pokeball, "Now then. Astro," he threw it, "I choose you!"

Everyone watched as the Dragon Dark-type appeared on the field, then took to the air. "Galvern!"

Mic: "Flash switches Riolu for Galvern. Will it be able to do what its teammate couldn't?"

"Dragon Pulse!" Astro open his mouth and launched the dragon-shaped laser at the Fossil Pokemon...who just stood there.

"Ancient Power!" Ankyload formed the light sphere and fired it, hitting the Dragon Pulse and causing an explosion. But Astro quickly flew into the smoke, Flash calling for a Dragon Claw attack as he flew out of the fog.

"Gal!" His claws glowed as he slashed into Ankyload, but the dinosaur spun around, the claw hitting the shell.

"Sorry Flash," Shining chuckled while shaking his head, "But Ankyload's shell is so hard that nothing'll get through it." He pointed at his Pokémon, "Tail Hammer!" Ankyload swung his tail and smacked Astro in the head.

"GAL!" He cried as he was knocked back, Ankyload smirking. Astro staggered but stayed on his feet, shaking his head before turning back to Ankyload. Preparing to slash at him, he growled before seeing that the Fossil Pokémon had vanished. "Gal?"

"No way!" He heard Flash cry, right as the sun appeared to be blocked out. Astro looked up and saw that the thing that blocked the sun...was Ankyload. "It can jump that high?!"

"Heavy Slam!" Shining ordered as Ankyload fell down and belly-flopped into Astro.

"Gal!" Astro yelped as he barely managed to hold his gauntlets up to block, catching the giant Pokémon...only to find himself struggling under its weight. "Vern..." one of his legs gave out, now falling onto one knee.

"Astro!" Flash gasped, Springer crying out to him.

"This is bad," Twilight gulped, "Ankyload's so heavy that there's no way Astro can lift it."

"Flash has to find a way to get it off of him and fast," Doc added, "But how?"

Flash blinked at the sight, only to gasp, "That's it!" He pointed at Astro, "Dragon Pulse!" Astro, struggling under the weight, opened his mouth and unleashed the dragonic energy and it fired into Ankyload's stomach.

"Ank!" Ankyload roared as it felt the force push it upward, giving Astro the extra leverage he needed to throw it off before taking to the air.

Mic: "Impressive! Despite Ankyload's weight, Galvern was able to escape from under it."

Cadance: "But I can't imagine Galvern got out of that unscathed."

"Shadow Ball, multiple blasts!" Flash commanded as Astro began firing the orbs of dark energy, all raining down on Ankyload. But the Iron Shell Pokémon used its armored back to defend against them as Shining gave his own order.

"Ancient Power!" As the last Shadow Ball struck it, Ankyload summoned the light and fired the sphere, hitting Astro in the wing.

"Gal!" He cried as he fell down, barely managing to glide away from a pond and landing on its edge.

"Tail Hammer!" Shining ordered, Ankyload charging as Astro tried to pick himself up.

"KYLO!" It roared before spinning around and smashing its mace into Astro's chest, the Dragon Dark-type crying out as he was sent flying back into the pool.

"Mic: "OUCH! That had to hurt! And I'm not sure Galvern can swim."

"Astro!" Flash cried as his Pokémon thrashed around in the water, giving him no other choice. "Return!" He sucked his Galvern back into the ball as Ankyload stomped its feet on the ground. "You did great, but I think I know how to take this thing down." He took out a Pokeball and quickly threw it. "Viper, I choose you!" The fire snake appeared and landed on the ground, staring warily at the water around him.

Celestia: "Interesting choice to switch out Galvern with his Vipeacon."

Luna: "Indeed. Ankyload's Steel-typing will make it immune to Poison, while the Rock-typing with protect it somewhat from Fire."

"What's Flash thinking?" Rainbow asked, "Viper's gonna have a really hard time against Ankyload."

"And the water coverin' the field ain't gonna help him much," Applejack added, everybody frowning in agreement, but Twilight turned to give them a reassuring look.

"Flash must have a plan. We just have to believe he can do it." They turned to her, then nodded in agreement as Flash called out his attack.

"Flamethrower!" Viper unleashed a blast of fire in Ankyload's direction, the ancient Pokémon quickly turning so the fire struck its tough shell. As this happened, Viper slithered up to it. "Now use Pyro Coil!" Viper leapt and wrapped around the giant's front right leg, biting onto the end of his tail, unleashing a burst of fire into it. This caused his body to ignite, burning away at Ankyload's leg.

"LOAD!" He roared before Viper leapt off, landing a good distance away while Ankyload's leg continued to burn. "Ank!" It stomped it on the ground several times until the flames went out, though everyone could still see the burn marks on it.

"You okay?" Shining asked, getting a nod from Ankyload. "Alright," he turned to see Viper slithering up again, "Tail Hammer!" Ankyload charged at this, only to stumble due to the leg's injury. It got in close to Viper and swung its glowing tail, but Viper yanked his body back, dodging the mace.

"Flamethrower, and aim for its other leg!" Viper flipped back like a spring and hissed as he unleashed a burst of fire, which struck Ankyload's back left leg, making it flinch.

"Of course!" Doc cheered, "Flash is trying to slow Ankyload down. If it hurts to walk, Ankyload's not gonna be able to throw its bulky weight around. That's why Flash picked Viper." The others smiled when they realized Doc was right, watching as Viper slithered all around Ankyload as the Rock Steel-type tried to hit him with its tail, but couldn't move fast enough.

"Smart move Flash," Twilight cheered as Viper leapt onto Ankyload's back.

"Flamethrower!" Viper quickly unleashing a burst of fire that struck the back of Ankyload's head, the Fossil Pokémon roaring in pain before glaring back at him.

"Heavy Slam!" Shining yelled, Ankyload pushing through its pain and thrusting itself back onto its back feet before falling toward the ground with its shell pointed downward.

"Vi!" Viper hissed as he tried to leap off, but it was too late as the shell came crashing down on top of him. "PEACON!" Luckily, none of the spikes on Ankyload's back pressed into him, but he was still forced to endure ten tons of pressure on him.

"Viper!" Flash gasped as Ankyload rolled back onto its feet and got off the snake. Viper hissed as he pushed himself up, the attack appearing to have done a lot of damage. "You alright?"

"Vi?" Viper nodded as Shining smirked.

"You shouldn't get too cocky," he told the teen, "Your strategy was good, but it's not flawless." He pointed at Viper, "Ancient Power!" Ankyload roared as the energy surrounded it, then flew off to form the sphere.

"Dodge it!" Viper leapt to the side, seconds before the orb struck the ground and exploded.

"Vi!" He yelped, getting hit by the shockwave and knocked back to the edge of one of the pools. Seeing this, Viper panicked and pushed himself away before Ankyload could try and knock him in it.

"Body Slam!" Ankyload stomped toward Viper, the ground and pool shaking with every step, arriving right above the Vipeacon before raising its foot to slam it down. Viper tried to escape, but wasn't able to slither away before the end of his tail was stomped on.

"Vi!" He cried, his eyes filling with tears, but he fought through the pain and turned to Ankyload.

"Crunch!" Viper thrust his head and bit into the area of Ankyload's leg that wasn't covered in armor. Ankyload flinched, causing it to loosen its hold on Viper's tail, pulling the snake free. "Flamethrower!" Before Ankyload could pull back, Viper unleashed a blast of fire right into its face. The Fossil Pokémon roared at the flames, only for Shining to give a command.

"Tail Hammer!" Ankyload spun around and swung its mace-tipped tail, Viper not being able to cut the power to his Flamethrower in time to avoid it.

"VI!" He cried as he was slammed into the air and thrown back, unfortunately landing in one of the pools.

"Viper!" Flash gasped, Viper thrashing around as the water was like acid to him. He then pulled himself up and out of it, but he was soaking wet and heavily panting.

Mic: "That dip can't have done him any favors."

Celestia: "I'd be surprised if Viper can even ignite his flame right now."

Viper tried to ignite his back fire, but all he got was some puffs of smoke. "Viper!" Flash gasped as Ankyload began to stomp over to him, "Flamethrower!" Viper tried to shoot out the fire, but again all he got was smoke. "No!"

"Body Slam!" Viper leapt to the side to avoid Ankyload trying to crush him under its foot, barely managing to escape.

"Viper!" Flash yelled out, "Come on! You've always been stubborn. It's one of the reasons I decided to catch you when we first met! You never let anything get in your way. Even if there should have been no possible way to beat someone or do something, you kept going until you won! You have the strength to stand your ground against any opponent." As he said that, Shining called out for Ankyload to use Ancient Power. "I know you can beat this guy! You just have to dig deep and find that fiery determination that drew me to you!"

"KYLO!" The dinosaur fired the orb.

"Viper!" Flash screamed, "Flamethrower!" Viper went wide-eyed at Flash's words, only to close his eyes and felt a new heat suddenly surge through him. His eyes shot open as the flames appeared around his body.

"VIPEACON!" He hissed before unleashing a blast of fire, striking the Ancient Power and pushing it back.

"Ank?" Ankyload cried as its attack was thrown back at it, the sphere exploding in his face before the flames blasted his entire body. His entire form was now burning, Viper slithering up to him. And as the flames faded, Viper got between its front legs and shot under the dinosaur.

"Heavy Slam!" Ankyload jumped up, ready to crush Viper beneath its bulk, but the snake leapt away, the belly-flop just hitting the ground and making it shake. This allowed Viper to leap for Ankyload's tail.

"Crunch!" Viper bit down on the mace, Ankyload flinching, but getting ready to smash Viper with its tail. But before it could, Viper was ready. "FLING IT!" Viper, to everyone's utter amazement, was actually able to pull Ankyload around by its tail. And before the Fossil Pokémon could get up, Viper began to swing it around and around.

Mic: "WOW! How on earth is Vipeacon swinging something so heavy?!"

Luna: "Flash did say he was stubborn. I guess even the laws of physics aren't enough to slow him down."

Finally, Viper let go and Ankyload was sent flying into the air. The giant Pokémon tried to position itself, but all it could do was flail around until gravity took hold and pulled it back toward the ground. "FLAMETHROWER!"

Viper hissed as he unleashed one final burst of fire, striking Ankyload. The speed of Ankyload's fall had doubled the force of the Flamethrower's impact, causing a major explosion that rocked the battlefield. A few seconds later, Ankyload hit the dirt, which made it shake when it hit the grass. The smoke coming off its body made it hard to see its condition, but after a few moments, the cloud cleared to reveal it.

"Ank..." it moaned as its laid on the ground with spirals in its eyes. The Rotom Drone flew down and scanned it, then flew up above the battlefield.

"Ankyload is unable to battle. Vipeacon is the winner." The crowd cheered as Viper took a deep sigh of relief.

Mic: "Impressive. Despite all the odds, Flash was able to overcome his Pokémon's weakness and get a win against another of Shining's Pokémon. He is now two for two."

Cadance: "Maybe, but that's what happened against Lightning, and we all saw what happened back then."

"She's right," Twilight nodded as Shining returned Ankyload. "Flash might have won, but it took three of his Pokémon to do so. If he's not careful, he'll exhaust them before getting to the rest of Shining's team."

"Maybe Flash and Viper can beat the next one without switching out," Trixie pointed out.

"I don't think so," Fluttershy added, "Look at Viper." They stared at the Fire Poison-type, seeing him panting, "That fall it took into the water can't have been good for him."

"And I doubt Shining will make this next match easy for him," Sunset continued, "He'll probably pick a Pokémon with a type advantage against Viper."

"Maybe," Doc shrugged, "But a type advantage isn't always a deciding factor."

"Alright Flash," Shining held up his next Pokeball. "You wanna play hardball. Well, the kid gloves are off. Lokelpie," he threw the ball, "Stand strong!" The ball flew through the air, unleashing the energy that shot into the nearest pool of water.

After a moment, the water exploded and the River Dwelling Pokémon flew out, "Kelp!" It neighed before landing on the grass in front of the pool.

Flash gulped as he stared at the opposing Pokémon. "Lokelpie's a Water-type, but its also a Fairy-type." A smile began to form, "And Fairy-types are weak against Poison attacks." He turned to his Vipeacon, "You up to keep fighting?" Viper glanced back and nodded.

Mic: "Flash Sentry, choosing to keep his Vipeacon in the battle. Will that decision pay off, or will he be regretting it later?"

Luna: "Flash is right about the Poison-typing being an advantage. But whether or not he can execute his strategy is another story entirely."

Cadance: "Shining knows about Lokelpie's weakness to that type. He wouldn't have picked it if he didn't have faith it could win."

"Flamethrower!" Flash yelled, Viper quickly unleashing a blast of fire.

"Dive!" Shining countered, Lokelpie back-flipping into the water. The fire shot overhead and completely missed, Viper staring at the pool, only for a pool behind Viper to explode.

"They're connected?!" Flash yelped, not realizing that every pool was linked to an underground tunnel system.

"Ice Beam!" Shining ordered, Lokelpie quickly firing a blast of blue lightning from its mouth. It slammed into Viper's back, the Fire-type hissing at the cold running through him.

"Kelp!" Lokelpie then dived back down as Viper turned to the pools around him.

"Starlight Flurry!" The pool to Viper's left exploded, Lokelpie flying out of it as its body began to glow. The light flew off and formed star shapes, all flying for Viper with a of Lokelpie's fins.

"Flamethrower!" Flash yelled, Viper unleashing a blast of fire. It struck the stars and pushed them back before hitting Lokelpie, making the River Dwelling Pokémon flinch as it was pushed away from the pool. Viper then slithered around the pool, heading straight for Lokelpie.

"Tsunami Surge!" Shining ordered, Lokelpie picking itself up before its eyes glowed. Putting its fins to the ground, Lokelpie caused a wall of water to appear between it and their opponent.

"Lock!" It roared before waving its wing-like fins, causing the wall to turn into a wave.

"Flamethrower towards the ground!" Not sparing a moment, Viper fired the flames into the grassy battlefield. Frying the grass, he was pushed upward and flew over the wave. As he did this, he saw Lokelpie dragging itself toward the nearest pool.

"VI!" He roared, using his Flamethrower to push himself down into Lokelpie, tackling it.

"Yes!" Flash cheered, "Now use Poison Fang!" The snake quickly bit into Lokelpie's tail, injecting poison as the water horse neighed in pain.

"Aqua Jet!" Before Viper could escape, Lokelpie's body was suddenly surrounded by water and they both shot into the air.

Viper hissed in pain and released Lokelpie, falling to the ground and hitting the grass bouncing as Lokelpie broke out of the water. It fell down, its tail flinching from the Poison Fang. And as it landed, it suddenly cried out as purple lightning sparked around it. "Yes!" Flash cheered, happy to see he got lucky with a poisoning.

Mic: "Interesting. How will Flash use this development?"

Luna: "If he's smart, he'll play defensive and let it wear Lokelpie out."

Celestia: "But not trying to fight back leaves him open to being taken down before the poison can take it down."

"Tsunami Surge!" Another water wall, larger than the last one, appeared and was sent flying for Viper with a wave of a tail. The fire snake saw this, seeing he couldn't fly over it like before. Flash knew this as well and realized there was only one hope.

"Flamethrower, straight ahead!" Viper let out a roar and unleashed the fire stream, striking the wave, causing it to steam up. The water slammed down onto him, making him cry out as he was sent flying back, crashing into the dirt as the water soaked the grass.

"Vi," he hissed in pain before getting up.

"I'm amazed he was able to survive that," Rarity whispered.

"Talk about guts," Rainbow chuckled.

"It wasn't just guts," Sunset added, "That Flamethrower weakened the attack just enough. But I doubt Viper's gonna last much longer." As she said this, Lokelpie was struck by the poison.

"Quick!" Flash yelled, Viper slithering towards his opponent, "Poison Fang!" He leapt as his fangs started glowing, only for Lokelpie to leap back.

"Vi!" Viper snapped his fangs closed, trying to bite Lokelpie's tail, but missing by inches.

"Aqua Jet!" Shining countered, Lokelpie now surrounded by water as it shot away. And before Viper could react, he was slammed by the water rocket, knocking it back. He cried out as he hit the ground, rolling around several times before coming to a stop.

"Vi," he moaned as he slumped over, his eyes turning to spirals as the Rotom Drone flew down.

"Vipeacon is unable to battle. Lokelpie is the winner." The crowd cheered at Shining's first win of the match, Lokelpie diving into the nearest pool and swimming under the field until it reached the one in front of Shining. As it did, it flinched at the poison.

Mic: "With that, Shining Armor brings the score to five against four."

Luna: "Vipeacon was able to poison it, so that's something."

"Return Viper," he held up his Pokeball and sucked his Pokémon inside. "Thanks for the hard work," he put his Pokeball away. "I promise your efforts won't be in vain." He then took out another Pokeball, "Time to get the advantage back onto my side! Prongs!" He threw the ball into the air, "I choose you!" Everyone watched as the ball opened up, the Stagrowth appearing.

"Stag!" He roared, landing on the grass and staring down Lokelpie.

"Huh," Tidal chuckled from the Gym Leader's box, "Deja vu." The others gave him a puzzled look. "That Stagrowth battled my Lokelpie during Flash's gym battle against me. It managed to win that time, but this battle might not be so easy."

"Indeed," Granny nodded. "A different battlefield against a trainer with a very different way of fightin'. Who knows how this match'll turn out?"

"What do ya'h guys think?" Applejack asked as the Pokémon and trainers prepared themselves.

"I don't know," Pinkie tilted her head, "But I think Flash can win this."

"Prongs beat a Lokelpie before," Spike pointed out.

"Doesn't mean he'll beat this one?" Doc added, "Not every Pokémon is the same. And if that Lokelpie's on the Champion's title defense team, you can bet it's probably a much higher level than Tidal's Lokelpie."

"Energy Ball!" Flash yelled, Prongs quickly opening his mouth and forming the sphere of power before firing it. Lokelpie leapt up and dodged the attack before diving into a pool, Prongs frowning as he looked around. "Don't stay in the same place! Run!"

"Stag!" He nodded before prancing cross the meadow, keeping away from the pools and not stopping for a second.

"Oh?" Shining smirked, "Think you're safe as long as you keep moving?"

"Your Lokelpie might be the best in the water, but when it's on dry land, it's as helpless as a fish."

"You wanna bet?" Shining chuckled before pointing at one of the pools. "Time to enter a winter wonderland. Lokelpie, Ice Beam!" Lokelpie suddenly shot out of the pool he pointed to, neighing as the blue sphere appeared.

Lightning shot out of it and struck the ground, completely freezing it. "What?!" Flash yelped as more and more of the grass was covered in ice. Lokelpie landed on an ice patch and started sliding along it, continuing to freeze the field as Prongs slowly found himself with less and less stable ground. Within a minute, the entire battlefield was a skating rink.

Mic: "Incredible! Shining Armor has completely transformed the field, and it's causing havoc for Stagrowth!"

Prongs was now sliding around, slipping as he tried to move his four legs around. As this happened, Lokelpie had no issue maneuvering. "Aqua Jet!" Lokelpie picked up speed and leapt into the air, now surrounded by water.

"Bounce!" Prongs tried to pick up momentum and leap up, only to slip on the ice.

"Stag!" He growled seconds before Lokelpie slammed into it. "STAGROWTH!" He was sent flying back, hitting and sliding along the ice. He drifted to the edge of a pool as Lokelpie broke out of the water, only for the poison to flare up and make it flinch.

"Energy Ball!" Flash yelled, Prongs stumbling to his feet and firing the sphere. The attack struck the Water Fairy-type and exploded, knocking it back.

"Stag," he moaned before charged, slamming the ice so hard his hooves that it broke through, stopping him from slipping.

And as Lokelpie picked itself up, Prongs got in close. "Horn Leech!" He swung his horns down, slamming them into Lokelpie and making the River Dwelling Pokémon cry out as its energy was drained before getting flung away.

"Aqua Jet!" As Lokelpie fell, it straightened up and started spinning as the water that surrounded it. It then curved around and missed the ground, instead pointing itself towards Prongs.

"Energy Ball!" Prongs fired the sphere, but Lokelpie dodged it while not losing any speed. "Again, rapid blast!" Prongs fired again and again, but every Energy Ball was avoided as Lokelpie got in close. "Dodge it!" Prongs barely managed to leap to the side, causing the Aqua Jet to miss entirely.

"Ice Beam!" Lokelpie exploded out of the water and while still in midair, spun around and unleashed the blue lightning, striking Prongs head on.

"STAG!" He yelped, feeling the freezing energy flow through him.

"Prongs!" Flash gasped, only for Lokelpie to stop using Ice Beam due to poison flaring up. "You okay?" He asked his Pokémon, Prongs nodding. But when he tried to move, he suddenly found he couldn't.

"Stag?" He looked down, only for his eyes to go wide to see his legs were frozen to the field. Everything below the knees was trapped.

"That's not good," Twilight gulped as Prongs tried to break free.

Cadance: "Stagrowth is locked in place and can't escape. That means Lokelpie will be free to attack."

Lokelpie leapt into a pool and jumped out one behind Prongs a moment later. "Starlight Flurry!" The stars formed around the Water-type and fired, Prongs continuing to pull at his bonds, but having no luck. And as the stars started slamming into him, he cried out in pain as the stars made sure to not hit the ice.

"Stag!"

"Use Energy Ball!" Flash yelled, Prongs forming the sphere. He pointed it at the ground and let it fly, the ball hitting the ground and exploding...but nothing happened. "Prongs!"

"Ice Beam!" Shining added, Lokelpie firing the icy lightning and hitting Prongs again.

"STAG!" He cried, only for Lokelpie to suddenly be struck by the poison. The two panted at this, Prongs almost about to fall had he not been frozen in place.

"Prongs..." Flash whispered before taking a deep breath and yelling, "No matter how strong a Pokémon you went up against, you always did it if it was to help a friend! The loyalty you show to those you care about is like nothing I've ever seen! And when you find someone you wanna help, nothing stops you! And now...I need your help. I need you to dig deep and keep fighting!"

"Another Ice Beam!" Shining exclaimed, Lokelpie leaping and firing the blue lightning.

"PRONGS!" Flash screamed at the top of his lungs, Prongs' eyes shooting open.

New strength flowed through him as he pushed himself upward with all his might. And to everyone's surprise, the ice shattered as he leapt, "STAG!" He cried, the Ice Beam hitting the ground and doing nothing.

"YES!" Flash cheered along with the crowd, Shining smirking at the Pokémon's will.

"Not bad," he nodded. "Aqua Jet!" Lokelpie took to the air at this, charging at the deer. But before it could get close, Prongs spun around.

"Horn Leech!" Prongs swung his glowing antlers, smashing them into Lokelpie as the Water-type slammed into him. Prongs felt himself slide back on the ice, but managed to drain away some energy before both knocked each other back.

Lokelpie then dived into a nearby pool as Prongs slid along the ground, his eyes shifting around trying to locate him. "Starlight Flurry!" Lokelpie shot out of a pool and fired several stars, striking Prongs in the side, only for Lokelpie to be struck by the poison before falling back into the water.

Prongs glanced around, only for the water in a nearby pool splashed from displacement. "Stag!" He yelled, turning to it and charging as the water exploded and Lokelpie flew out.

"Energy Ball/Ice Beam!" Flash and Shining commanded, Prongs now close to the pool. Lokelpie fired the lightning as the Stagrowth formed the sphere and fired it. The Ice Beam struck the Energy Ball, the two attacks merging together and causing a large sphere of green and blue energy..

"This isn't gonna end well," Doc gulped as the sphere began to now grow to the size of a Snorlax before-

KABOOM!

The orb exploded and created a burst of smoke and light, consuming both Prongs and Lokelpie before filling the entire battlefield. Flash and Shining were both buffeted by the shockwave, feeling themselves be pushed back. "PRONGS!" Flash screamed as he stared at the smoke, only to see nothing.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

And thus, Flash and Shining's battle is on. So far Flash has the lead, but will that remain? Only time will tell.

PreviousChapters Next