• Published 2nd Jan 2021
  • 1,510 Views, 524 Comments

Pokémon: Equestrian Champions - Banshee531



Flash Sentry's journey through the Equestria Region continues as his greatest battles await him. And as his team train to overcome any challenge, can he claim victory, or will the opposition be to much to handle?

  • ...
4
 524
 1,510

PreviousChapters Next
A Shocking Final Showdown

The Equestria League Finals battle between Flash and Lightning was still raging, Flash ahead three Pokémon to two. But as smoke filled the battlefield, Flash's Skeidran and Lightning's Venomega had clashed inside. The audience waited with baited breath, only for the fog to clear...and one Pokémon was still on his feet.

"Sky!" Hopper roared as he stood tall, Flash cheering as the rest of the smoke cleared and revealed Venomega...on the ground.

"Ven..." he moaned as swirls replaced his eyes.

The Rotom Drone flew down and scanned the Poison Dark-type, confirming what everyone already knew. "Venomega is unable to battle. The winner is Skeidran."

Mic: "Venomega is down! That leaves Lightning with only one Pokémon remaining!"

The crowd cheered as Lightning returned Venomega, Flash's friends up in the stands overjoyed, "Yeah!" Spike clapped, "Go Flash!"

"And then there was one," Rarity added, the rest cheering except Twilight, Doc and Cloud.

Doc turned to them, "Flash might have more Pokémon, but they're all exhausted. Don't forget, Lightning's last Pokémon is starting off fresh. He might have to beat three Pokémon to win, but that won't matter if they're all running on empty."

"Plus Hopper's been poisoned," Twilight continued, "If Flash isn't careful, he could still lose."

Cloud nodded in agreement, now seeing Hopper begin to slowly walk over to him. "Alright kiddo, what's your plan for this final leg of the battle?"

Flash patted Hopper on the head, "You did great out there...but you sure you can keep going? You can take a break if you want." Hopper shook his head and turned back to the battlefield, roaring as he stared Lightning down. "Alright bud! Go get 'em!"

"Sky!" He roared before taking to the air, Lightning shaking his head.

"What an idiot," he spat before taking out his Pokeball. "Let me show you what happens when you fight a real Pokémon. Gorillamp, Battle Ready!"

In a flash, Lightning's final Pokémon appeared. "GORILLAMP!" He roared, beating his chest as electricity surged out of him, zapping everything around him.

Mic: "And Lightning's final Pokémon is Gorillamp! This is definitely one of his most powerful Pokémon."

Celestia: "This could be trouble for Flash given that two of his remaining Pokémon are weak to Electric attacks."

Cadance: "Hopper's also been poisoned, so that's also something he'll need to worry about."

Luna: "This battle could really go either way."

"No, this battle is already done. Thunder!" Lightning yelled, Gorillamp roaring again as he fired a bolt of electrical power. The lightning shot straight for Hopper, who spun in mid-air to dodge it before diving down.

"Iron Tail!" Hopper swooped down and slashed at the ape, knocking him slightly back.

"Thunder Punch!" Gorillamp swung a quick fist, only for Hopper to hop away. But as he did this, he was suddenly struck by Poison.

"Sky!" He cried, causing him to flinch.

"Heavy Slam!" Gorillamp leapt and thrust his full weight into Hopper, knocking him back until he slammed into the rock wall behind him. "Now, Thunder!"

Gorillamp charged up the attack as Hopper peeled himself off the wall. "Get out of there!" Flash cried, Hopper leaping away before the Thunder struck the rock pile, making the rubble explode as Hopper landed on another pile. "Quick, Wyvern Wing!"

"Sky!" Hopper was surrounded by the dragonic energy and with a beat of his wings, the attack was sent flying into Gorillamp. But as this happened, Hopper was struck again with poison just as Gorillamp pushed through the Wyvern Wing with ease.

"Hammer Arm!" He charged and slammed both arms into the side of the rock pile, the blow causing the entire thing to shake, knocking the pained Hopper off balance.

"Hopper!" Flash gasped as his Skeidran fell, but quickly spread his wings as he got close to Gorillamp. "Aerial Ace!" As Gorillamp prepared to smash him to pieces with Hammer Arm, Hopper accelerated and landed before slashing at him with his claws.

"Gore!" He cried as he was hit, only for Hopper to fly back up.

"Extreme Speed!" Hopper zipped down at Gorillamp, zigzagging to pick up as much speed as possible. Gorillamp saw this and braced himself as Hopper dived down.

"Gore!" He roared, holding his arms out wide as if to say 'come at me bro.' And as Hopper put as much power into the attack, he crashed into Gorillamp at full speed. Gorillamp winced as Hopper pushed him back, but he dug his feet into the ground before closing his arms around Hopper's body.

"Dran?" He mumbled as he tried to escape the ape's grip.

"Thunder!" Lighting ordered as Gorillamp built up a ton of electrical energy.

"Get out of there! Iron Tail!" Hopper's tail glowed as he started slamming it into Gorillamp, but the ape refused to let go. "Hopper!"

"GORILLAMP!" The Electric Steel-type roared, the lightning exploding off of him and into Hopper.

"SKEIDRAN!" He screamed as every nerve in his body was assaulted by the electrical power. He tried to move, but he couldn't get out of Gorillamp's iron grip. And when the ape let Hopper go, the electricity still zapping him. "Sky..." Hopper moaned as the lightning stopped, standing still for several moments, everyone wincing at the sight. Despite this, Hopper tried to stand up, only for the poison to strike again. "Skeidran..."

The Pokémon slumped over at this, spirals now in his eyes. The Rotom Drone then flew down and scanned him. "Skeidran is unable to battle. Gorillamp is the winner." The crowd cheered as Flash held up his Pokeball.

Mic: "Skeidran is down and now, Flash will need to relay on his other two Pokémon if he wants to claim victory in this battle."

Cadance: "I have a fair idea which Pokémon he'll pick next. The question is, can he win?"

"I can't believe Hopper lost," Kaida sighed as Ryu placed a hand on her shoulder. She turned to him and saw a smile on his face.

"He might have lost, but he was able to do some serious damage to Lightning's team. I think that's something worth being proud of." Kaida nodded back, Ryu then glancing back at Lightning, "I must say, Hopper showed me how much he doesn't like this Lightning trainer...and I can see why. Either way, I know the Dragon Kingdom would be proud of him. He did well."

"You did great Hopper," Flash told the Skeidran inside his Pokeball. "Don't worry, I'm not giving up yet." He turned back to the battlefield as Springer hopped in front of him, "It's time bud. You ready to go?"

"Ri!" Springer nodded before charging into the field.

Mic: "And Flash chooses Riolu, likely hoping to overwhelm Gorillamp with speed over power."

As if proving Mic correct, Flash called out to Springer. "Extreme Speed!" The Riolu was wrapped in lightning as he shot across the battlefield. In the blink of an eye, he was right next to Gorillamp and quickly slammed a foot into his chest.

"Gore!" Gorillamp moaned as he staggered back, Springer zipping over to a rock pile and using his Extreme Speed to leap off it.

"Aura Sphere!" As Gorillamp regained his footing, Springer formed the orb and fired it at the ape. But Gorillamp quickly leapt to the side, only for Springer to land behind him. "Drain Punch!"

"Hammer Arm!" Gorillamp swung his arm at the Riolu, both fists hitting each other. But as they clashed, Gorillamp pushed Springer back as Lightning yelled, "Thunder!"

"Gorillamp!" He roared as he let loose a blast of lightning, Springer managing to regain his footing just in time to brace himself as the bolt struck him.

"RI!" He cried, the blast hitting him so hard that it caused the rock around him to burn.

Luna: "That had to hurt. It was a direct hit from a very powerful attack."

Celestia: "Is this it?"

"RIOLU!" Springer screamed, swinging his arms apart as the lightning flew off him. His body was smoking at this, but he remained standing as Flash smirked.

"Bone Rush!" Springer charged and formed the bone-shaped staff, which he split in two before slamming one into Gorillamp's leg. Gorillamp flinched at this, only for Springer to swing the other into Gorillamp's chest and then leapt up to strike at his shoulder.

Cadance: "Nice one. Against an Electric Steel-type like Gorillamp, a Ground-type attack will do a lot of damage."

"That's the way!" Twilight cheered, "Hit him hard and hit him fast." The others nodded as Gorillamp raised his arms.

"Heavy Slam!" He swung his arms down, Springer crossing his bones to block, the impact sending a shockwave through his body. "Now, Thunder Punch!" Gorillamp suddenly swung his leg into Springer seconds after his Heavy Slam, knocking the Riolu flying.

"Gore!" He pulled his fist back and thrust it up, hitting Springer in the chest again with a jolt of electricity.

"Springer!" Flash gasped as he saw Springer go flying, only to see his Riolu spin in midair before landing, "Aura Sphere!" As Springer landed, he formed the sphere and fired it, the attack instantly hitting Gorillamp. "Now, use Extreme Speed!"

Springer charged again, the blue energy surging around him as he got in close. "Gore!" Gorillamp yelped as Springer slammed a fist into the ape's chest, only to then be struck in the shoulder. This was followed by his leg, back, arm and waist. Every bit of his body was getting struck by random blows.

"Thunder in every direction!" Gorillamp roared as he unleashed a blast of lightning outward, making Springer leap back to dodge the attack.

"Bone Rush!" Flash called out, Springer forming the staff in his paws and spinning it. The lightning bolt struck the staff, only to bounce off it. "GO!" He charged again, the lightning continuing to be deflected by the bone.

"Ri!" He exclaimed as he slammed the bone staff into Gorillamp's chest, making him cry out as stopped his Thunder. He then smacked the ape twice, only for Gorillamp to let out another roar.

"Hammer Arm!" Gorillamp swung one of his arms and backhanded the staff, knocking it flying out of Springers paws. He then swung his other arm, striking Springer in a lariat, the force knocking the wind out of Springer.

"RI!" Springer cried as he was sent flying and landed in the stream, getting washed down it and almost being thrown into the lake until he managed to grab onto a ledge and pull himself up. "Riolu..." he moaned before getting up and shaking the water out of his fur.

He stood tall and saw Gorillamp just glare at him, both locking eyes as their trainers yelled, "Thunder Punch/Aura Sphere!" The two braced themselves and brought their paws/hands up, Gorillamp's becoming electrified while Springer formed his best attack above his. Both powered up until they were at maximum, the pair continuing to lock eyes as they did.

Mic: "Both Pokémon seem to be going for what could be their final attack. It all comes down to this!"

Celestia: "Even a draw could be life changing, since Flash will still have one Pokémon left."

As she said that, the two charged at each other. Everyone watched with baited breath as the two drew closer, their attacks pulsing with energy. They were suddenly all reminded of the last time they had seen this, which had ended with Springer's loss.

"Gore/Ri!" They screamed as they got within striking distance and thrust their attacks, "RILLAMP/RIO!" The attacks struck, appearing to be in a deadlock as the Pokémon continued to push forward. But as they did this, one of the attacks began to overcome the other. Springer's Aura Sphere suddenly exploded, sending out a shockwave that struck Gorillamp and knocked him flying back. He crashed into the ground and skidded along it, Springer jumping back before getting into a runner's start pose.

"Drain Punch!" Springer charged again, but Lightning was ready.

"Hammer Arm, on the ground!" Gorillamp hopped back up and thrust his arms down, making the ground in front of him explode. Rocks shot up at this, Springer coming to a stop as he tried to hop back to dodge the rubble, only for Gorillamp to suddenly grab him with his giant hands.

"Ri!" He yelped as he was lifted up, Flash's eyes going wide at this.

"Springer!"

"Flash..." Grand winced, "No..."

"Thunder!" Gorillamp roared as he unleashed a powerful charge of lightning, the bolt zapping Springer. The Riolu began to thrash around, Lightning laughing before yelling the command again as the thunder kept zapping the Riolu...only for Gorillamp to throw the Pokémon away a second later.

"Ri..." he moaned as he hit the dirt, the Riolu then trying to get back up...only to slump over. "Riolu..." spirals appeared in his eyes as he faceplanted the ground, the Rotom Drone flying down.

"Riolu is unable to battle. The winner is Gorillamp."

Mic: "Number five's out. Meaning Flash's only remaining Pokémon is Reptidal."

Everyone in the stands frowned, barely any cheers happening after seeing the brutal display. "Springer tried as hard as he could," Rainbow mumbled out as everyone else nodded.

"If Springer hadn't taken so much damage already, the battle would have been more even." Doc commented, "Now Flash's only hope is Riptide."

Everyone else grimaced at this, only for Twilight to speak up, "Don't worry. Riptide might be at a disadvantage, but Flash believes in him, and that means he has a chance." They all turned to her, now seeing the giant confident smile on her face. It made them all smile and nod, soon looking back to see Flash pick Springer up off the battlefield.

"You were awesome bud," Flash said as he returned to his podium and placed Springer down.

"Ri," he moaned as he pushed himself to a sitting position. He looked up at Flash and saw he didn't look worried, the trainer shining a big grin.

"Don't worry. I promise this battle isn't over yet." Springer slowly nodded back as Flash turned to look at the megascreen, at all the Pokémon he had struggled to beat up until this point. "Lightning's team's definitely tough." He then took out his Pokeball, "But we're just as strong. Riptide, it's all up to you." He felt the ball wiggle in his grasp, making him smirk. "Alright." He turned to his opponent, "Hey Lightning! Truth is, your strategy made all the difference...even though my numbers looked better."

"Of course it did." Lightning spat, "This battle is over, so just give up and admit that you're nothing but a worthless loser."

"I don't think so." Flash held up his Pokeball, "I'm just getting started! It's time to show you the true power of me and my Pokémon! Riptide," he threw the ball, "I CHOOSE YOU!" The ball flew into the air and in a flash, the Tidalwave Pokémon appeared.

"REPTIDAL!" He roared as he appeared.

Mic: "And now it's a critical moment in the battle, as Reptidal faces off against Gorillamp."

Luna: "If we were focusing squarely on type, I'd say Gorillamp has the advantage. But if this battle has told us anything, it's that anything is possible."

"Oh please, like that piece of garbage could do anything worth while." Lightning hissed, "I can't believe I have to waste my time with this." He pointed ahead, "Thunder!"

"GORE!" Gorillamp began charging up powerful before letting the thunder fly.

"Dodge it!" Riptide leapt up, the lightning bolt striking the ground and exploding. "Quick, use Rock Smash!" Riptide fell down and kicked off a rock wall before spinning around and smacking the ape with a glowing foot.

"Gore!" He yelped, only for Lightning to give a command.

"Thunder Punch!" Gorillamp swung a clenched fist into Riptide's stomach, making him cry out as he was blasted back. But as the water lizard managed to land on his feet, Gorillamp charged up to him. "Hammer Arm!"

"Aqua Break!" Riptide formed his sword and used it to defend against Gorillamp, his arms slamming into the sword. "Now, Rock Smash!" Gorillamp found his attack suddenly lunge forward as Riptide cancelled the blade, knocking the ape off balance before Riptide spun around and swung a pair of glowing feet into his stomach.

"Gore!" He cried as he went staggering back, only to see Riptide back to the stream behind him. Seeing this, the ape began to build up electrical energy.

Lightning saw this and knew Gorillamp had an idea, "Thunder!" Gorillamp roared as he unleashed a thunderbolt, only for it fly over Riptide.

"Tidal?" He asked as he followed the bolt, only to hit the nearby pool. His eyes widened as he remembered he was standing in a stream connected to that pool, trying to leap away before his tail that was still in the water got shocked. "TIDAL!" He cried as he was electrified, his whole body screaming as he fell into the water.

"Riptide!"

"Thunder Punch!" Gorillamp stomped over to him, his charged fist ready to taze Riptide. But just as he was about to get in close-

"Aqua Tail!" Riptide swung his tail and whipped Gorillamp's legs with a spiral of water, knocking the ape off his feet. The lizard then spun and got back onto his feet. "Rock Smash, back to back!"

"Rep!" As Gorillamp picked himself up, Riptide thrust his foot into his stomach again. He then swung another one and smashed Gorillamp in the head before doing a cartwheel and uppercutting the ape in the jaw.

"RILL!" The electric type yelped as he was knocked back, skidding along the ground as Riptide started doing backflips to get some distance. The ape panted at this, growling as he got back on his feet.

Mic: "Gorillamp isn't looking to great. Could it be drawing close to defeat?"

Luna: "Well, think of the attacks its had to endure. Both Rock Smash and Aqua Break can possibly lower the defenze of the Pokémon hit by it. With all the times Gorillamp's been struck, its normally tank-like defense must be way down."

"Yeah Flash!" Spike cheered, "Take him down!" The others all cheered as well, but Cloud, Doc and Twilight all frowned, seeing no worry on Lightning's face.

"Let's end this bud!" Flash yelled as he pointed at Gorillamp, "Use Ice Punch!"

Riptide roared as he charged, now seeing the Electric Steel-type making no motion to try and dodge. The sight made Riptide smirk as he got close, only for Gorillamp to suddenly side-step the attack. "Rep!" He gasped before feeling Gorillamp reach out and grab his wrist in his large hand. "Tidal!" He yelped, only for Gorillamp to swing him around and grab his other wrist in his other hand.

Mic: "Gorillamp has Reptidal in his grasp and is holding on tight!"

Everyone gasped at this, Lightning laughing at the sight. "HA! You fell for it again!"

"No..." Grand sighed, having seen the move coming from the start.

"Riptide!" Flash exclaimed as Gorillamp held the Reptidal up. Riptide kicked and squirmed, but Gorillamp wouldn't let go.

"Its just too easy." Lightning chuckled and snapped his fingers, "End this! THUNDER!" Everyone went wide-eyed as Gorillamp started charging up his electrical energy to the point of overload as Riptide continued to squirm.

"Gore...Rill...AMP!" He screamed as the electricity exploded out of him and into Riptide, everyone now watching in horror as Riptide began to scream.

"REPTIDAL!"

Mic: "Ouch! Reptidal's seriously getting pummeled by that Thunder!"

Celestia: "This could be the end."

"Riptide!" Flash cried, Springer also doing the same. At the lab, Astro looked away at the sight while wincing.

"No..." Pinkie whimpered.

"Is...is this really the end?" Trixie added.

Twilight wanted to say it wasn't, but seeing how powerful that attack was, she couldn't for the life of her figure out how Riptide could survive it. "Flash..."

Then Gorillamp's electrical output ended, releasing Riptide with a giant grin on his face as Lightning laughed at the sight. There was pure joy on the teen's face, his expression being the only one of happiness as everyone grimaced at the now smoking water lizard. Riptide fell to like a rock, his legs trying to get back up as he staggered. And as he tried to stand and walk, he gave out and fell into the nearby stream.

Mic: "REPTIDAL IS DOWN!"

"No..." Spike whispered.

"It...it can't be," Applejack gasped as Fluttershy began to cry.

Twilight turned to Flash, seeing him stare at Riptide in shock while Lightning just spat and turned away from the battle. "I guess that's it. Pathetic. Then again, what was I expecting?! You're just a worthless loser after all." Gorillamp laughed at this before spinning around, the Rotom Drone flying down.

"No! Get up!" Flash screamed.

"Ri!" Springer added.

"Come on bud! We believe in you!" Flash continued, only for the Rotom Drone to hover over his Pokémon. "Riptide!"

"Reptidal is-" The machine began to announce...only to come to a stop. Lightning heard this and turned to raise an eyebrow. Riptide had rolled onto his front and pulled himself to his knees, only for his knees to give out, falling back into the water. "Reptidal is unable-"

"Rep!" Riptide suddenly yelled, making the Rotom shut up as he got to his knees, only to falter again as he tried to stand up.

The sight made Lightning growl, turning to the Rotom Drone, "HEY! What do you think you're doing?! This so called match is over! Declare me the winner already!"

The drone turned to him and replied, "I have not confirmed-"

"Shut up and declare me the winner already!" Lightning screeched before pointing at Riptide, "That thing is done! Declare me the winner or-"

"Oh, shut up!" Flash barked, making Lightning turn to glare at him.

"What did you just say?!"

"You heard me." Flash responded before pointing at Riptide, "We're not done here." He then pointed to himself, "I will beat you Lightning."

"You already lost. Again." Lightning spat, "You're a loser, and a false hero. Why bother trying when you'll always lose?!"

"You just don't get it, do you?" Flash countered, "It doesn't matter how many times you knock us down. We'll never stop pushing ourselves, even to the limit. That's the power of my Pokémon. I believe in them, and that let's us smash every barrier in our way!"

Lightning scowled at this, "Oh please, that's just a bunch of weakling talk." He pointed to Gorillamp, "See that? That's real power from a real Pokémon, and not something like feelings or believing." He then pointed to Riptide, "You're just like that failure, a nothing. So just stay down like you're supposed to!"

Flash shined the biggest grin at those words, "Newsflash, ask anyone and they'll tell you that I never do what I'm supposed to!" Riptide struggled to push himself up as Flash continued, "No matter how impossible it seems, when the odds are against us, my Pokémon and I keep pushing until the very end. We support each other and help whenever we can. That's why we'll win! You might be fighting Riptide alone, but you're facing all seven of us!" As he said that, Riptide pushed himself up and stood tall in the water.

"REPTIDAL!" He roared, everyone cheering at both Flash's speech and the sight.

Mic: "Reptidal is back with a vengeance! But with all of the damage the Water-type's take, will he be able to hold on much longer?"

"GO FLASH!" His friends all cheered, Astro roaring happily at the lab.

"We're supporting you too!" Twilight screamed, "It's not just the seven of you!"

"Its all of us!" Spike added.

"Now fight!" Cloud continued, "Fight and win! Show everyone the right way to train Pokémon!"

Up in the box, Shining smiled down at him. "That's the way. Sometimes the best way to get stronger is to simply have the guts to never give up." He then gave Flash a serious look, "But will it be enough?"

Grand wasn't smiling though, he just sighed as he stared at his grandson, seeing the anger pour out of the teen. He shook his head, knowing why this was happening. And as it did, Lightning glared at Riptide as he hissed, "Why are they cheering?! There's no point! You've already lost!" His entire body began to shake, "This isn't right. Why can't they see...why can't they see that you're just a nothing?!" He pointed at Gorillamp, "Finish this already! Thunder!"

Gorillamp charged himself up and fired the blast of energy, but the water lizard quickly side-stepped the attack. "Rock Smash!" Riptide charged next, slamming both legs into Gorillamp's stomach. The ape cried out as he staggered back, Riptide leaping back before shooting forward to repeat the attack.

"Hammer Arm!" Before Riptide could react, Gorillamp spun his arm into him, the back hand sending Riptide flying back, only to spin in the air and land on his feet. But he quickly fell to his knees, Lightning smirking at the sight.

"How pathetic! Just face the facts and give up." He gestured to Riptide, "See?! He's-"

"Oh, stop it. You're boring me." Flash interrupted before faking a yawn, Riptide hopping to his feet at this. "Hey Riptide, show this geek what'cha got!"

"Tidal!" He roared before charging at Gorillamp again.

Flash clenched his fists and pointed at Lightning. "This is for all the Pokémon you ever called weak, pathetic and worthless! Riptide, Aqua Break!" Riptide formed the sword in his hand and leapt at Gorillamp, who attempted to slam his fist into Riptide, but the water lizard quickly spun around his fist, "Now you'll see how this game is supposed to be played!"

"TIDAL!" He screeched as he slashed into Gorillamp, knocking the ape back.

"What are you doing?!" Lightning screamed, Gorillamp quickly stopping his stagger as Lightning added, "Thunder!" Gorillamp roared as he let the electrical blast fly, hitting the ground and causing it to explode. Rocks began to fly everywhere, all coming for both Pokémon.

"Rock Smash/Hammer Arm!" Both trainers commanded as their Pokémon started smashing the rocks apart that got to close to them, "Now use Thunder!" Lightning ordered, a blast of electricity coming next that flew into the rocks and caused them to explode. The force of the explosion knocked both Pokémon back, the two skidding into their trainers while the remaining rocks fell to the ground around them.

"Are you okay?" Flash asked Riptide, who nodded as he stood tall. "Good! Let's kick his butt!"

Gorillamp did the same as Lightning got up, his face twisting in anger, "You're really starting to get on my nerves, Sentry." Flash smirked back, though he was panting from the excitement of it. "You may think you have a chance to beat me, but you've never had a chance." He began to growl, "You're constantly getting in my way, and my patience is at an end!" But as he yelled this, Flash just continued to show that smile, making Lightning go red in the face, "You are a thorn in my side and I have had enough of you!" He pointed at him as Gorillamp beat his chest, "I'M GOING TO DESTROY YOU! DO YOU HEAR ME, SENTRY?!?!?!"

The crowd all flinched at this, Grand facepalming and groaning as Trixie turned to the others. "If you ask me, I think Lightning has a few control issues."

Doc just shrugged, "It's obvious Flash is getting under his skin and throwing him off his game."

"Uh-huh," Flash nodded with a constant smirk. "Now that you've vented, what's say we finish this?"

"SHUT UP!" Lightning screamed, "GORILLAMP, TEAR HIM APART WITH THUNDER PUNCH!"

"Go Riptide! Use Ice Punch!" Flash countered, both charging at each other.

"Thunder Punch!" Gorillamp charged as well, both about to sock one another. But as they got within striking range and started throwing punches, both dodged the other, only to do it again and again.

"Change to Rock Smash!" Flash yelled as Riptide leaned back to avoid the electric punch, then turned that into a back-flip as he swung his foot up and smacked Gorillamp's head.

"Gore!" the ape staggered back as Lightning ordered him to use Hammer Arm. He brought his arms up and slammed them into the ground, creating an earthquake that sent a fissure flying for Riptide.

"Dodge it!" Flash countered, Riptide leaping over the exploding ground. "Aqua Tail!" He swung his tail down and water whipped Gorillamp, pushing him back again.

Up in the stands, everyone watched the two duking it out. And as they did, they couldn't help but feel something. "I've seen a lot of battles between these two," Twilight told the rest. "But something about this moment feels...different." They all nodded, feeling the same thing.

"I think it's because they're finally battling as equals," Doc added, "Before, Lightning always saw Flash as just a nuisance or something to test his strength against or to prove a point. But now, Lightning is being forced to take Flash seriously because to do anything else would mean possibly losing." Riptide leapt back to avoid a Heavy Slam, the Reptidal crouching down and swinging his sword to try and slice at Gorillamp.

"Oh..." Rarity whispered, "This is so crazy. I don't think I can stand to watch it anymore!"

"This is more than just a battle over the Equestria League trophy," Cloud continued, "Now, it's personal."

"Yeah," Rainbow nodded as Riptide leapt and used Rock Smash into Gorillamp's chest. "I've never seen two battlers more even."

"It comes down ta a battle of stamina," Applejack commented as Gorillamp used Hammer Arm to blast Riptide away.

"I still have faith in Flash to win," Twilight finished as Ice and Thunder Punch collided. "I know he can do it."

"Attack!" Lightning roared, Gorillamp knocking Riptide away again. "Beat him now!"

Trixie nodded at this, "We can only hope you're right!"

Riptide and Gorillamp both panted as they found themselves standing again, both staring one another down. They glared at each other, their eyes purely locked, just like their trainers. The teens were glaring and heavily panting...only for Flash to start laughing. Hearing this, Lightning's eye twitched.

"What...is so funny?!"

Flash pulled in his laughter, "Relax dude. This is fun."

"Say what?!" He screeched, his eyes twitching.

"I'm just saying. Even though this battle is like...totally intense, it can be a real blast. I mean, after all, its just a game."

Lightning's eyes shrunk at this before he growled, "This is no game. It's my life."

Flash shined the biggest grin, "Well your life is about to change. Riptide!" His Reptidal stood strong, "Aqua Break!" He charged and formed his sword.

"Hammer Arm!" Gorillamp's arms glowed as he swung and struck a loose rock. The Reptidal slashed the rock in half, only for Gorillamp to leap up, "Heavy Slam!"

Riptide saw Gorillamp about to fall down on him, the Reptidal quickly leaping back. "Tidal!" he yelled as Gorillamp slammed his fists down into the ground and creating an earthquake as the rocky floor was broken apart.

"Thunder!" The ape roared as the lightning exploded off of him and shot into the air, forming a massive storm cloud that spiraled above Riptide before unleashing the thunderbolt down.

"Block it!" Riptide used his sword and struck the lightning, deflecting it and sending it crashing into the ground around him. The battlefield exploded, causing a circle of fire that terrified those watching. But when the fire died out, Riptide still stood with sword in hand.

"Gore?" Gorillamp asked with wide eyes, Lightning blinking at the sight.

"You can't keep us down," Flash told the shocked Lightning. "No matter how many times we fall, we get back up stronger than ever! That's the difference between you and me. You learn from a loss, and we grow from it!" Riptide nodded as Flash pointed at Gorillamp, "GO!"

"TIDAL!" He roared as he charged through the fire toward Gorillamp, the ape charging as well as Lightning called out a command.

"THUNDER PUNCH!" Gorillamp's fist electrified, putting as much energy as possible into the attack. The two Pokémon got within striking distance and as Gorillamp threw his punch, Riptide's legs bent and he fell into a knee slide.

"GORE/TIDAL!" They both screamed as a flash of light filled the air, blinding everyone.

Mic: "I can't see!"

"Who won?!" Spike asked as the light began to fade and they now saw the battlefield. They were now greeted to the sight of Riptide and Gorillamp standing back to back. Riptide was on his knees with his sword held in front of him while Gorillamp stood post punch.

Nobody breathed as they waited to see what would happen next, only to see Riptide's sword splash apart and let out a cry of pain. He began to sway, slumping to a knee as the lizard started using his arms to keep him up as sparks of lightning surged around him.

Lightning smirked at this, but then glanced up to Flash and saw a big grin on his face.

"Rill," Gorillamp moaned, Lightning looking back at his Pokémon. Sparks began to fly off his arm and his neck armor. "Gore...rill...GORE!" He groaned as a massive electrical explosion flew off him. He continued to stagger at this, Riptide now pushing himself to his feet. They both spun around and stared each one another down, locking eyes as if having a mental conversation. Then, Gorillamp smirked before saying something only Riptide could hear. "Not bad." With that, he fell face first into the ground. Everyone gasped as they saw his eyes turned to spirals, the Rotom Drone flying down to scan him.

"Gorillamp is unable to battle. The winner is Reptidal. All six of Lightning Blitz's Pokémon are unable to battle. So the winner of the battle is Flash Sentry!" The stadium went completely silent as the fact that had just been stated sank in. Flash just stood there, his jaw dropping until Present Mic broke the silence.

"IT'S OVER!" The crowd exploded into cheers at this, "Flash Sentry has claimed victory over Lightning Blitz! Through many tough obstacles and powerful opponents, he now stands at the top of the Equestria League as its new winner!"

Up in the stands, Flash's friends were all close to tears. "I can't believe it!" Spike called out, "He actually did it!"

"He won!" Rainbow exclaimed.

"And he beat Lightning," Doc chuckled, Twilight's face now pouring down tears.

"You did it," she giggled, wiping her eyes, "You actually did it." But as she stared at Flash, she saw he could hardly believe it himself.

Flash just stood there, his mind replaying the words he had just heard Present Mic say. "I did it...I did it..." he whispered. "I won. And I beat...Lightning." Joy like nothing he had ever felt filled his heart as his entire body shook. Eventually, he couldn't take it anymore and he leapt up into the air, "I WON THE EQUESTRIA LEAGUE!"

"RIOLU!" Springer cheered as he leapt into Flash's arms, Flash hugging him tightly.

"We did it bud! We finally did it!" he cheered before turning to see Riptide walking over to him. "You did it." Riptide smiled and nodded, "You actually beat Lightning and Gorillamp."

"Tidal," Riptide chuckled before suddenly falling over. He would have hit the dirt, but Flash and Springer quickly caught the lizard. "Wow." Riptide smiled up at them as they put his arm around Flash's shoulder, helping him stay upright. "Careful. You've been through a lot. Better take a break."

"Rep," he moaned before Flash held up a Pokeball and returned him.

"Again, thank you." Flash said before taking out all his Pokeballs and stared at them with pride. "You're all the best. I couldn't have asked for a better team." A tear ran down his eyes as the Pokeballs all shook in agreement, the Pokémon inside all thinking they couldn't have asked for a better trainer. Flash then put them all away, his smile never wavering as he turned back to his now defeated rival.

Lightning was just standing there, looking like his mind had been cut into two. "No..." he whispered before glancing over at the Rotom Drone. The image of Flash's face over the word winner stared back at him, "This...isn't right." He turned back to Flash, "I'm the strongest. I'm supposed to win. I...I'm supposed to win and beat Shining Armor. I...I was supposed to..."

He continued to mutter as Gorillamp slowly pushed himself up, the ape staggering over to Lightning with his head down, clearly expecting to see a wrathful look on his face. "Gore," he said once close enough, but Lightning didn't respond. The teen didn't know what to say or do. Instead, he took out Gorillamp's Pokeball and held it up, his confused mind making him say something he had never said before.

"Th-thank you...for battling so hard." Gorillamp went wide-eyed at this, only for the beam to hit him. He and Lightning locked eyes for a moment before the ape disappeared, both knowing that something had happened to the teenage trainer.

And once he was completely returned, Lightning turned to Flash and the two stared at one another for a moment...only for Lightning to spin around and began to leave. "Wait!" Flash yelled, about to run over the field, but it then retracted before he could, blocking the teen as the destroyed battlefield disappeared. All he could do was watch as Lightning disappeared down the hallway.

Up in the stands, Grand watched his grandson leave. He could tell, even from where he stood, that Lightning's entire worldview had just been shattered. "I'm sorry Lightning," he sighed as the boy disappeared, "But this is for the best. Now hopefully, you'll learn what it truly means to be a trainer." He turned back to Flash and smiled, the teen now waving his arms around to the many cheering fans. "Thank you. I'm sorry I ever doubted you."


A little while later, Flash was standing in the middle of the battlefield. It was now a flat area with a large podium in the center of it. In the middle of the podium was Flash, along with all seven of his Pokémon. Sunset had sent Astro over to share in the joy of Flash's victory, the eight of them all happily allowing Celestia, Luna, or Cadance to place medals around their necks. Once that was done, Shining stepped up while holding a large trophy.

"Well done Flash," he told the teen before holding out the trophy. Flash smiled as he took it and allowed his whole team to take a closer look at it, Flash then holding it up as the audience started cheering again. Photographs were soon being taken and reporters were trying to get closer to ask him questions.

But Flash wasn't concerned about that. All that mattered to him was that he had managed to win the Equestria League, and now, he had a chance to battle Shining Armor once again. But despite the joy he felt, he still wished he could have talk to Lightning one last time.


Later that evening...

As the sun began to set, Twilight was back at Professor Celestia's laboratory. She was in the backyard, where all of Flash's Pokémon, minus Springer, were resting. They were covered in bandages and carefully enjoying their favorite food, Astro being the only one not bandaged up but was happily telling them how awesome they were.

"That's it," she giggled as she watched them eat. "You all enjoy yourselves. You've all earned it."

They smiled as Ryu and Kaida arrived, both carrying tubes of something. "Here," Kaida opened the tube and dug her hands into it before pulling out a strange powder. "This should help with recovery." They started sprinkling the powder onto their food, "It's made from special herbs you can only find in the Dragon Kingdom."

"Interesting..." Twilight commented before the door opened, the rest of her friends walking in.

"Hey Twilight," Rainbow smirked, "You seen Flash anywhere?"

Twilight shook her head. "Sorry, I haven't seen him in a while."

"Rats," Rainbow crossed her arms, "I wanted to congratulate him, but I haven't been able to find him anywhere."

"Where do you think he went?" Fluttershy asked, only to hear a laugh coming from the side, making them turn to see Shining leaning against a wall around the corner with Cadance.

"If you're looking for Flash, he went off to find Lightning." The others went wide-eyed, Shining chuckling at their reactions, "You shouldn't be surprised. Those two have been connected since the start of their journey. I think Flash wants to settle things between them properly."

"Hard ta think Flash would want anythin' to do with that guy after finally beatin' him," Applejack grumbled.

"Yeah! That guy was super jerk!" Rainbow added.

"Maybe," Twilight nodded, "But that's just the kind of guy Flash is." She smiled before looking up at the sky, "hopefully Lightning will finally understand what he's been missing this whole time."


Flash and Springer were running through Canterlot, Springer's arms and legs wrapped in bandages while the people around them noticed and whispered amongst themselves that he was the guy that had won the league and was gonna battle the champion.

"You sure he's this way?" Flash asked Springer, who nodded as he continued to pick up Lightning's aura. The pair soon found themselves at the exit to the city, now spotting the person they were looking for. "Lightning!"

The teen stopped when he heard his name and slowly turned to see Flash standing there. The teen was heavily panting, his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath.

"You...you're leaving?" He asked once he caught his breath.

Lightning just turned away, his voice low and hollow, "Of course I am. I lost, so there's no point in me staying here."

"Oh...I mean, I guess you're right." Flash replied, opening his mouth to continue...only to pause. Now that he was here, he wasn't sure why. He had no idea what he wanted to say, or why he would want to say it. Did he want Lightning to admit he was wrong and that Flash was right this whole time? That would be nice, but Flash didn't want it. And so, a simple question appeared in his head. "What are you gonna do now?"

Lightning had begun to walk away, only to stop again. "I don't know. For the first time in...a long time, I have no idea what the future holds for me." He reached for his belt and took out a Pokeball, which he held up and looked over. "For as long as I can remember, all I've cared about was winning and gaining as much power as I need. But when I needed it most, it failed me." He turned back to Flash, "And I lost to you."

Flash nodded back, "Power has its limits. No matter how much you train, there's only so much strength you can get out of a Pokémon." Lightning looked back down at his Pokeball, "But there are other ways to make a Pokémon strong."

"Heart..." Lightning whispered, remembering what he had heard Flash and his friends talk about last night. That thought made him flinch, only to glance away, "Maybe...maybe there's more to what you've been saying then I gave you credit for. Even though it sounds stupid." Flash smiled at hearing this, though he was having a hard time believing he actually was. "I guess it would be stupid of me not to at least try it, once at the very least."

"Yeah," Flash nodded, knowing he shouldn't ask Lightning to completely change his way, but Flash had a feeling that the door to a new life for Lightning had just been unlocked.

Lightning turned back to Flash, "I'll be back. And when I am, I'm gonna settle the score and beat you."

Flash smiled and crossed his arms, "I'll be waiting." He held out a hand, Lightning staring at it with a low stare. Then, he reached out and grasped Flash's hand. The two shook for a moment, their eyes locking with new understanding.

"Just because you beat me, don't think that means you'll have it easy from now on." He turned away, "Shining's not gonna go down without a fight."

"I know," Flash replied as he spun around as well, "But I'm gonna give it my all and trust in my Pokémon. That's the only way I know how to battle." With that, the two began to march away from one another. One towards his final heated battle, another to a whole new future. Only time would tell whether or not they would both make it to those destinations and what was awaiting them both there.

A minute or so later, Lightning was trekking through the forest when he saw someone new. It was Grand Hoof leaning against a tree with his back turned to Lightning. Clearly, he was waiting for the teen to pass him and Lightning wasn't sure what he was planning to say or do. Then, Grand glanced back at him.

"Come to gloat?" Lightning growled, not looking Grand in the eye.

"I came to see how you were doing," Grand replied as he spun around from behind the tree. "And to tell you...I am proud of you." Lightning went wide-eyed at this, only for Grand to continue, "Not many trainers can make it as far as you have, especially in their first year of training. But you've done better than I ever managed to at your age." Lightning couldn't respond, only able to stand there until Grand walked up and tapped his chest, "But don't think for a second I agreed with your methods or your attitude." Lightning cringed at this, only to see Grand sigh, "However...I'm still proud of how far you've come all on your own."

"I wasn't...really alone." Lightning once again took out his Pokeball, "I had...them."

"Oh? You're not angry with them?" Grand instantly chimed in, Lightning glancing back up and shook his head.

"No...I'm not." Lightning let out a long sigh, "But...I still have a lot to learn it seems."

"Yes," Grand nodded, "A lot to learn. But that's okay. You have plenty of time to learn it."

Lightning nodded, Grand surprised to see how sheepish the boy was looking. "I don't...suppose you'd be willing to teach me something?" Lightning knew he had no right to ask this, remembering that Grand had said he had washed his hands of him. But to his utter surprise, Grand just smirked and tapped his chest again.

"I might be able to show you a thing or two," he spun around, "If you can keep up." He began to walk off and Lightning did something he never felt himself do naturally. Smile. He then ran off after his grandfather, the pair disappearing into the forest.


Back in the city, Flash and Springer had returned to Professor Celestia's lab. When he got there, he found his friends and his Pokémon. They all smiled at him as he patted his team on the head, only to notice Shining Armor was there.

"Well kid," he chuckled, "This is it. You against me, winner takes all."

Flash nodded back and stood up, "I'm ready."

"No, you're not," Shining instantly replied before pointing to his team, "Your Pokémon are in no fit state to beat me. Luckily, the battle's not gonna be for a while. They need to make sure the stadium didn't get damaged from all the battling that happened during the tournament...so you have a little while to rest up and prepare. Just...don't go expecting to take me down so easily. Got it?"

"Got it," Flash nodded before turning to his team. "This is it guys. Once you're all rested and recovered, we'll start training with everything we've got!" He held up a fist, "You all ready?"

"RIO/TORE/TIDAL/STAG/CON/SKY/GAL!" They cheered, everyone smiling and excited to see how the battle would turn out. There was a lot of time between now and then, time Flash would no doubt be using to train his team to their absolute zenith. Shining might appear to be an unstoppable obstacle, but if Flash's battle with Lightning had proven anything, it was that he and his team could defeat any obstacle as long as they stuck together. Would Flash and his Pokémon claim victory, or are their hopes to become Equestria's new champions nothing more than a pipe dream? Only time would tell, as the journey continues.

Author's Note:

How's that for a christmas present. Getting to see Flash finally beat Lightning and earn the chance to battle against Shining. I swear I didn't plan it like this. This is just a lucky accident. Hope you enjoyed it.

PreviousChapters Next