• Published 17th Mar 2020
  • 1,658 Views, 215 Comments

Trot Buddies! - shortskirtsandexplosions



After Spring Break ended with their cruise ship crashing, Flash Sentry and Trixie Lulamoon become unwitting "trot buddies" for the journey back home through the Equestrian portals.

  • ...
10
 215
 1,658

Biding Time

“Hear ye! Hear ye!” A familiar entity of pink fluff called out felicitously from the hallway adjoining the throneroom and the library of the castle. Everyone in attendance looked to see a long table fully-arranged with treats and drinks and tasty edibles a-plenty. “The banquet is now in session! Every human and horse and horse-human come saddle up for some gracious grub!” A pink hoof extended towards the congregation, accompanied by a bright-toothed smile. “It's on the house! And this is a pretty big house!” The hoppity-hostess giggle-snorted.

“Are... uh...” Lyra Heartstrings cautiously approached the table, leaning forward and sniffing the plates like a pensive feline. “...are these people edible or pony edible?”

“Only one way to find out!” Pretty blue eyes fluttered at the guests. “Right now, you've got horse stomachs! So as long as your mouths and your guts are on this side of the mirror, it should be smooooooooth sailing!”

“Hi there! I'm Pinkie Pie!”

“Hi there! I'm also Pinkie Pie!”

“I really like your mane!”

“Hee-hee-hee! I really like your mane!”

“There's always something I wanted to try... with myself.”

“Am I thinking what you're thinking?!?”

“Let's do—”

“—the mirror dance!”

“Woohooo! Mirror dance!”

“Mirror dance!”

“Mirror dance!”

Flash Sentry cleared his throat, observing as two rambunctious pink balls of energy did an identical shuffle towards the edge of the room. “Alrighty...” He looked at the table where several of the scouting party were gathering up to enjoy some well-deserved refreshment. “I think I'll hang back a bit and casually enjoy what's left. I'm not exactly famished, to tell the truth. What about you, Trixie?”

“Peanut. Butter.”

Flash blinked at his trot buddy. “Does that mean you're taking a plate right now, or...?”

“Peanut. Butter.” She drifted forward like a zombie on ice skates.

“Heheh...” Flash waved at her. “Alright.”

“You're not in a rush to eat?” spoke a familiar, eloquent voice from behind. “Surely you must be quite famished from your ordeal.”

Flash turned around.

He saw Rarity sitting daintily on a cushion before the wall, levitating a blouse that she was sewing a sleeve onto with glowing, glittering telekinesis.

It took the teenage stallion a few moments to realize he was leaving her in rude silence. “Oh! Uhm... yeah, I'm... not really that hungry. Besides, I think I'm going to be stepping home through the mirror soon—”

“It may be an hour or two yet,” the fashionista calmly said, her calm smile unwavering. “From what I hear, Twilight wishes to transport everypony over at once. She has a spell for it—but she's waiting for Starlight to rendezvous with her at the Everfree Forest and help channel it.”

“... … ...” Flash shook his head. “I-I'm sorry. At the risk of sounding stupid...” His eyes narrowed. “Are you human Rarity or pony Rarity...?”

“Oh? Are we both so similar?” A sweet smile crossed her feminine muzzle. “Why, I must say that restores my faith for the other side of the mirror.”

“Heh...” Flash Sentry sat down a few feet across from her. “I must admit. You're both very similar. It's just that...”

“Yes?”

“... … ...well, she can't quite do...” He pointed a wavering hoof at the mare's telekinetic prowess. “... … ...that. Not like you can.”

“I'm sure with a little practice, she'd be more than capable of practicing it.” Rarity cocked her head to the side. “Regardless—have I heard it truthfully told that my familiar in your world can concoct... force fields of sorts?”

“Oh. Right. Those... diamond plate thingies.”

“Ah! And they're in the shape of diamonds too?” The mare sighed dreamily. “Oh, how I would absolutely love to see that in person.” A dainty laugh. “Literally!”

“Heh...” Flash rubbed the back of his neck. “I mean... I guess that's up to the Princess, right?” He gulped. “I... uh... I dunno if she's ever planning on taking her friends on a field trip to our neck of the woods.”

“Doubtful.” Rarity slowly shook her head. “Aside from a righteous need in a moment of dire emergency, the Princess' time is simply too busy as of late.”

“Yeah...” Flash nodded, staring off with a bittersweet expression. “That... sorta figures.”

“And that extends to her closest friends and acquaintances as well.” Rarity continued her glittery sewing motions in midair. “Why... myself? I'm about to open the fifth branch of my boutique chain! In Baltimare, no less! Why, it's simply divine! If not... taxing, to some extent. But a lady never complains.”

“That sounds pretty cool...”

“But—for this afternoon—I've been able to squeeze some time in. Which is most opportune—because Twilight needs her friends around for an event such as this one.” She stifled a yawn and smiled at the crowd as they hovered around the banquet table. “I've even got a few minutes to observe this most auspicious occasion. So many curious individuals from a curious world—and yet they all look like good friends and neighbors!”

“Say...” Flash stood up, flicking his tail with curiosity. “There's something I've always been meaning to ask.”

“And what's that, darling?”

“Just...” Flash hesitated, remembering who he was speaking to. He decided to rearrange the words carefully: “How old is... everyone... around me?” He gestured. “Ponies like me. The other me's... er... other us.”

“You're curious how old your doubles are in Equestria?”

“Yeah, cuz... like...” Flash shrugged. “We're teenagers. High schoolers.” He arched an eyebrow. “I dunno if you or any of the Princess' other friends got the memo.”

“Oh, we were all pretty well-informed,” Rarity said. “And for a while there we assumed there was simply a disparity between the passage of time in Equestria and in... Terra?” Rarity tapped her head, squinting in thought. “Terra Firma—is it?”

“Uhhhhhh—”

“In any case—and don't fret, I don't find the question rude—most of us are around twenty-two to twenty-five winters. Roundabouts.”

“Twenty... five...?”

“I think that puts us in the category of 'young adults,' as t'were. Why there's nearly a decade of difference between both sides of the mirror—I can't pretend to tell. Chalk it up to the mysterious ways of magic!”

“I... uhm...” Flash was fighting a cold sweat. He looked over his shoulder as if being watched. “... … ...don't suppose... uh... Sunset Shimmer may have come up with a mathematical equation toooooo... explain—?”

“I mean, it's quite possible that ponies and people age differently.” Rarity shrugged. “And I doubt our winters are the same as your winters—etcetera... etcetera...”

“Uh huh...” Flash exhaled heavily. “...so I might be a 'young adult' on this side of the mirror?”

“Actually, you're a member of the royal guard stationed in the Crystal Kingdom,” Rarity said with a smile. “Under the command of Prince Shining Armor.”

“No kidding?”

“Has Sunset never told you that?”

“I think I heard about the guard-pony thingy but never about working for Twilight's older brother.” Flash squinted. “Shining is her older brother here too, right?”

“That is correct.”

“And he's a Prince?” Flash bore a goofy grin.

“By proxy of being wed to his charming wife, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, the Alicorn of Love.”

Flash did a double-take. “You mean Shining Armor is going to marry Dean Cadance of Crystal Prep?”

“... … ...” Rarity blinked. “I beg your pardon?”

“Nothing. I think I'm just... experiencing trans-dimensional jetlag.” He rubbed his head. “Yeesh... I wonder if this means I become a security guard...” His pupils shrank. “...at Cadance's gated community or something...”

Rarity laughed daintily. “Perhaps I said too much.”

“No. No, it's... nice listening to someone who's used to this crazy magical place. It helps me relax.”

“Mmmmmm...” Rarity nodded. “For a 'teenager,' I think you are mature for your age, Mister Flash.” A friendly wink. “Quite fitting, considering the feats of your familiar in this world.”

“This world's Flash Sentry has done some nifty things, huh?”

“Oh. Quite a bit. Shining Armor fills our ears with his accomplishments whenever he visits. He's quite proud of his protege.” Rarity smiled. “Would you like to hear more about him? Your double, that is?”

“Heck, why not?” Flash stood closer to her. “Could help me plan things out on my side.”

“Very well then. Would you do me a favor, first?”

“Sure thing, ma'am.”

Rarity levitated the frilly pink blouse closer to him. “Would you mind trying this on? I can't tell if the sleeve is on right and I'm dying for a model.”

“Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...” Flash sweated visibly.

Rarity laughed, floating the blouse back to her. “I'm joking, of course, darling.” She resumed sewing. “I would never ever put a dashing gent through something like that. Unrequested, of course.”

“Well, good.” Flash breathed with relief. “Because I think I'd rather jump back into the Diamond Dogs' den.”

“Perish the thought.”