• Published 17th Mar 2020
  • 1,654 Views, 215 Comments

Trot Buddies! - shortskirtsandexplosions



After Spring Break ended with their cruise ship crashing, Flash Sentry and Trixie Lulamoon become unwitting "trot buddies" for the journey back home through the Equestrian portals.

  • ...
10
 215
 1,654

Glam Glim

“Aaaaaaaaaaand...” Starlight Glimmer's horn pulsed. Within seconds, the portal to the Everfree Forest swallowed itself shut like a dissolving puddle. “...that's a wrap!” She blew up at her smoking forehead, smiling to finish a job well done. “Nothing like a good leyline flex to make up for a full day of filling out student progress reports.”

She turned around...

...and nearly bumped into a blue-mane'd pegasus stallion trotting towards her.

“Oh! Hello!” Starlight smiled. “I hope you enjoyed the trip to the Castle without too many teleportation bumps.”

“Actually, uhhhhhh...” Flash Sentry rubbed the back of his neck. “I was already here.”

“Scouting party member, huh...?” Starlight leaned in, eyes squinting. “Wait a sec...”

Flash leaned back, blinking nervously.

“Heh... heheheh...” The sorceress stood straight and tossed her mane. “Talk about uncanny! I was just half-a-second away from asking you what Sunburst has been up to.”

“Sunburst...?”

“Court wizard of the Crystal Empire,” Starlight explained. “And a longggggggggggg-time friend of mine.”

Flash cleared his throat. “I'm afraid I don't know him.”

“Yeah, well your pony version does. Flash? Flash Sentry?” Starlight Glimmer held out a hoof. “That's your name, right?”

He bumped his fetlock casually with hers. “Yes. So I guess you've heard of me. Well... the other me.”

“Can't help it.” Starlight shrugged. “He's kind of a living legend around northern Equestria.” A side chuckle. “When he's not failing to steal Prince Shining Armor's thunder, of course.”

“Of c-course.”

“Oh... n-not that you aren't awesome yourself!” Starlight blushed slightly. “I'm sure you're really famous back in the human world... doing... … …?”

“Let's say I shred more guitars than windigoes,” Flash said.

“Hah! You're barely here for a fortnight and you're already learning Equestrian terminology! Way to go.”

“Yeah, well, Rarity gave me an earful.”

“Awwwwwww... she shouldn't have done that.”

“Why not? I'm happy for my other self.”

“You should be happier for your main self.” Starlight winked. “Sunset Shimmer said that the scouting party went through a bumpy ride. You came out right-side up. You should be proud.”

Flash shrugged. “Just had the right ponies around at the right time to catch me.”

“That's what ponies do.” Starlight cleared her throat. “I'm Starlight Glimmer, by the way.”

“Yeah, I gathered.” Flash took a deep breath and made to gesture at a fuzzy blue figure hiding behind a crystalline pillar. “I was wondering if you'd—”

“Something about your mane, though...” Starlight tapped her own nose in concentrated thought. Her brow remained furrowed. “There's a familiar shine to it.”

“Maaaaaaaybe... you saw me on the other side?”

“... … ...” Starlight blinked like a deer in headlights. “H-how did you know that I was on the other side?” A wince. “I-I mean... it's totally unbecoming of the Friendship School's headmistress to ever even think about venturing to the other side, heheheheh...”

“No. For realsies.” Flash smirked. “You helped out Sunset and the rest of the girls take on some oversized freak named Jetforce Gemini.”

Juniper Montage,” Starlight corrected. She waved a hoof: “And she wasn't a freak—just a misguided human momentarily corrupted by evil magic.”

He nodded. “Fair. Uhm...” He gestured. “Still, they're all alive and well now thanks to you.”

“Hey...” Starlight shrugged. “I did what I could. It's touching how much you care about them.” Her eyes narrowed slightly. “Is that what you came here to do? To thank me for some crazy cross-dimensional adventure that happened months ago?”

“Actually... uhhhhhh...” Flash shifted where he stood. He cleared his throat and struggled to speak above the commotion all around them. “I was wondering if I could... erm... introduce you to—”

"Your Trixie, right?”

Flash blinked. “Hmmm?” He smacked his own scalp. "Oh right. You just bumped into each other. Heheh..." His ears sagged. "Man, if my life was written by someone it'd be a drunk, lazy author—"

"Why is she hiding behind a pillar like it's Hide'n'Seek at Magic Kindergarten?"

"Magic Kindergarten?" Flash snapped out of it. "Er. I dunno. I guess she's just being..." He rubbed the back of his neck. "...extra fuzzy."

"Trixie is never all that good at her disappearing act." Starlight winked. "But don't tell her I said that."

"Wait..." Flash pointed. "You know Trixie?" He twitched. "THIS world's Trixie?"

“Pffftchyeahhhhh...” Starlight nodded. “We're best friends for life!”

“Really?” Flash smirked. “Best friends.” He continued smirking. “You don't say.”

“We've been through an awful lot together. Tell me—is your Trixie a glamorous, charismatic stage magician?”

“Funny you should ask that. But...” Flash pivoted and gestured towards where the blue shape was quivering. “...perhaps you could ask her yourself.”

“Hey! Trix!” Starlight's horn glowed.

With a frightened squeak, Trixie found herself sliiiiiiiiding towards Starlight on invisible ice. She soon levitated besides a snickering Flash.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie!” Starlight winked, smiling as her telekinesis dissipated. “Am I right?”

“Mmmm...” Trixie's tail, ears, everything curled inward. “...m-m-maybe.”

“Awwwwww! You're shyer than my Trixie!” Starlight gave a friendly wave. “I suppose that would only make sense. You haven't gone through a traumatic and heroically character-building ordeal with a murderous changeling queen and her hive of drones.” A blink. “At least... they don't have that in the human world, do they?”

“Uhm...” Trixie blushed. “Uhhhhhhhhhhm...” Trixie blushed some more. “... … ...Trixie once h-had her tonsils removed.”

“Really? Tonsils?” Starlight squinted. “Sounds like a human anatomy thing. You should tell me all about it.”

“Trixie sh-should?”

“Yes! Hah!” Starlight Glimmer smirked, leaning in to wrap a forelimb around the shivering mare. “You see, my Trixie and I have had this longstanding bet that one would meet her mirror-version before the other. I think the pool's risen just past one hundred bits. Ohhhhhhh... I can't wait to shove this right in her muzzle!” Starlight tapped the mare's fuzzy chest. “You'd better tell me all about yourself!”

“Hahahah... yes... Trixie should...!” As the two passed by Flash, Trixie hissed quietly his way: “Trixie will kill you later for this...”

“You're welcome,” Flash said, tongue sticking out, and allowed the two some space.

"In exchange, I'll tell you how this world's Spike got his wings!" Starlight could be heard saying. "Then lost them! Then got them back again!"