• Published 17th Mar 2020
  • 1,655 Views, 215 Comments

Trot Buddies! - shortskirtsandexplosions



After Spring Break ended with their cruise ship crashing, Flash Sentry and Trixie Lulamoon become unwitting "trot buddies" for the journey back home through the Equestrian portals.

  • ...
10
 215
 1,655

Roll Call

“Trixie is naked!”

Flash Sentry's tired blue eyes narrowed in on a pair of fuzzy orange fetlocks. Horse nostrils flared in the center of his prolonged muzzle, causing tall blades of grass to bend and sway between the gnarled trunks of otherworldly oak trees all around him.

“Okay, every... pony! Sunset Shimmer's voice echoed beneath the branches and leaves, leaves, leaves of that strange forested domain where everyone had materialized. In the distance, the fiery-mane'd mare marched down a line of awkwardly-shifting equines—each of whom had been arranged in pairs. “Let's try to keep this as simple as possible! First off—I need to make sure that you're all assembled in pairs! So we're going to do an initial roll call before planning out how to make it out of the Everfree Forest!”

“Trixie is naked...!”

Flash felt an extra pair of limbs extending from his body. He looked over his shoulder and saw wings stretching and unstretching. His facial muscles tensed as he flexed each individual feather. The hidden muscle memory eventually unlocked his tail—a silky flew thing that flicked more than a few times at the end of his flank... a huge, huge horse flank. He grimaced slightly...

“But before we start...!” Sunset Shimmer marked closer, her brave turquoise eyes reflecting face after worried pony face. Her voice was solid, firm, exhibiting leadership and strength. “I want to point out who will be leading this 'expedition'! Chiefly—that'll be me.” She paused to rest a hoof over her fuzzy chest. “This place is my home. I know the ins and outs of Equestria, so I'm best equipped to keep us safe! Pay heed to my warnings and I'll get us all to the other portal and then back to the human world in no time!”

“Uhm, hello?!?! Does anybody care that Trixie is naked?!?!”

Flash sensed his horse ears pulling back before he even registered his own anger. Nevertheless, he scowled as he turned to hiss at the fuzzy blue lump fidgeting directly beside him. “Shhhhhh! Sunset Shimmer's giving an important speech!”

“I don't care what your girlfriend's giving!” Trixie pouted. Her new body of sapphire fur was hard to focus on—as she was currently attempting to cover her petite pony self with no less than three palm fronds yanked from a nearby tree. No amount of fumbling and repositioning of the leafy green stalks could succeed in fully obscuring her horse flesh—or the spreading blush thereupon. “Grnnnngh!!! Some kind of magic portal that turned out to be! It couldn't even let Trixie keep her precious robe!”

“She's not my girlfriend,” Flash Sentry muttered to the forest floor.

“Are you listening to a thing I'm saying?!?” the mare's voice cracked. “I thought you were supposed to be my 'Trot Buddy!' Why aren't you helping?!”

Flash faced her again, teeth clenched: “How can I not hear what you're saying?! You're noisier than—”

Trixie's pupils shrank as she covered her fuzzy tummy with three palm fronds at once. “Don't look at Trixie!

Flash jerked his head away, his horse face flushed with conflicting waves of anger and shame. “—a band of preteen Instagram girls trying to do a punk rock concert!”

“How could you be so insensitive???” Trixie whimpered.

Flash sighed and faced her again. “Look, I'm sorry, I just—”

She covered herself, shrieking: “Don't look at Trixie!!!

Flash jerked away yet again, seething. “Y'know, we're all naked! Did you ever think of that?!”

“Of course I've thought of it! I can't stop thinking about it! But don't think that reminding me is going to make me want to look at you any!”

Flash's brow furrowed as he looked back. “Wait, who's reminding who of—?”

DON'T LOOK AT TRIXIE!”

“Oh, for the love of—”

AHEM” With scuffling hooves, Sunset Shimmer stood before the two, staring them both down with a warrior's glare. “Is there a problem...?”

Flash Sentry stood up on his hind legs at attention... then immediately flopped forward on his belly. A cough, a wheeze... and he smiled crookedly. “No, Sunset. No problem here.”

“Trixie is naked.”

Sunset simply rolled her eyes. “You'll get used to it. Now can you both pipe down and keep calm for just a few measly minutes so that I can finish coordinating the expedition?”

“Yes... erm...” Flash stood up, dusting himself off with his own wings. “Yes, of course, Sunset.”

“Good.” Sunset icily turned towards the rest of the group and resumed marching down the line. “Now... besides me, you'll be answering to Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle! They've both undergone the same trip to Ponyville that we're all about to undertake! So they have sufficient experience to act as supervisors for this trek! Also, Rainbow Dash has learned how to fly... well enough. Long story short, they'll both be coordinating the middle and rear of our procession...!”

Flash sighed and hung his head. His eyes closely scrutinized the fresh hoofprints that Sunset had made in the forested soil.

'Yes, Sunset. Of course, Sunset,'” Trixie sing-songed in a patronizing voice. “Yeesh. Why don't you lick your girlfriend's hooves clean while you're at it.”

And just like that, Flash Sentry's malaise once again transformed into an angry growl. “She... is not my girlfriend...”

“Of all the people I could have been paired up with in this silly 'Trot Buddies' system Sunset conjured up...” Trixie gazed with disgust at her alien blue horse parts. Her grimace echoed her breathy words more than her body. “It had to have been the most spineless beta boy in all of Canterlot High.”

Flash's eyes narrowed. “What the heck does that mean?” he whispered aside.

“You think you're soooooooooo special—just because you lost out on two romances in the space of a single semester!” Trixie frowned at a tuft of mane hair dangling over her eyes. “You walk through the halls with your head hanging low—always feeling sorry for yourself!” She gave her horse head a shake... then a second and a third—battling the stubborn pale stands. “Well, Trixie doesn't need your sad baggage bringing her down! This spring break was supposed to be an opportunity for me to share my fantastic act and rake in the big bucks! Aren't things bad enough as it is without being unfairly punished with such a miserable ball-and-chain?!”

“You...” Flash cleared his throat and glared over his wings, away from her. “...you don't know me.”

“You sure about that, sad-sack?” Trixie finally resorted to raising a hoof and pinning her mane hair behind her horn. “It's what all the girls talk about behind your back, y'know. 'Look! There goes Flash Sobbstry! He always looks soooooooooo saddddddd! As if he thinks it'll get him anywhere with the ladies now that Sunset and her precious gal-pals want nothing to do with him.'” She blew out the side of her muzzle. “Pffft... then you had to go and perform that silly song for them in the auditorium. I mean... just how desperate are you to be noticed?”

Flash stared off into the emerald density of the alien forest. He thought about all the things others had said about Trixie behind her back. He thought about things he had said about her... and the laughter he and his buddies had shared on campus. Visions of Trixie at school danced through his horse head—of her lone body meandering through a sea of lockers, her face obscured by her magic cap, enmeshed in shadows.

“I guess...” Flash muttered. “...I'm pretty desperate, huh?”

“And could you not stand in such a way so that your smelly horsebutt is facing me?” Trixie tilted her muzzle up in disdain. “Trixie's been to a ranch or two in her day. She knows a dirty stallion when she sees one.”

“Okay, look...” Flash clenched his teeth again. “How about—for the remainder of this 'magical pony journey' thingy... we just not talk to each other, okay?”

“Why—that's exactly what Trixie was going to say!” she gasped, holding a delicate hoof over her fuzzy chest. “How typically insensitive of you to act as if you thought of it first!”

“Fine! Great! I'm insensitive!” Flash hissed, trying to keep his voice low as he heard Sunset giving roll call. “Now will you please shut up?!

“Don't use that tone of voice with Trixie!”

Flash clenched his eyes shut and tilted his head back.

He breathed in.

He breathed out.

He breathed in once more...

And breathed out with meditative finality.

“... … ...you're right,” he murmured. “That was rude of me, Trixie. I'm sorry.”

“I thought you wanted to keep quiet!” Trixie barked.

“Rnnnnnnghhh—!” Flash repeatedly batted his head against the ground beneath him.

Sunset marched towards their part of the line. “Flash Sentry and Trixie Lulamoon!” she called out.

Flash stood up straight, his muzzle covered in dirt and leaves. “Present!”

“Trixie is here!” Trixie saluted. “And still naked!

Flash Sentry facehoofed.