• Published 17th Mar 2020
  • 1,650 Views, 215 Comments

Trot Buddies! - shortskirtsandexplosions



After Spring Break ended with their cruise ship crashing, Flash Sentry and Trixie Lulamoon become unwitting "trot buddies" for the journey back home through the Equestrian portals.

  • ...
10
 215
 1,650

Her Majesty

“A little more to the left,” Princess Twilight Sparkle said. Her voice echoed across the central meeting room of the Castle of Friendship. Her horn glowed, extending a violet aura of magic to a large surrealist painting that was floating high against a wall. “A little more...”

Standing at the top of a ladder before the wall was a pint-sized... reptilian thing with purple scales and green spines. With his meager reach, the princess' helper straightened and adjusted the grossly-large painting until it aligned with fasteners placed within the crystalline surface of the castle's interior. At last, after much sweat and fuss, the landscape illustration was neatly hung.

“Perfect...” Princess Twilight Sparkle exhaled.

Spike spun around, wiping his brow. “Whew!” He placed his hands on his scaled hips and smiled with contentment.

THUD!!!

The whole room shook from a pair of doors opening thunderously. Behind Twilight's assistant, the painting fell loosely from its fasteners and fell back to the floor. Spike moaned in pitiful discontent.

Twilight—in the meanwhile—spun towards the foyer entrance with a gaping muzzle.

What she greeted was an inordinate amount of exhausted, frazzled ponies collapsing in the center of the doorframe with a cluster of bushes and shrubbery occupying the glossy floor behind them. There was an exact copy of Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves, Rainbow Dash—and herself—among others. The only equine standing tall and remotely “at ease” was none other than Sunset Shimmer... who was presently beholding her majesty with a sheepish grin.

“We're baa-aa-aack.”

Princess Twilight blinked. “Oh my gosh...” She held a hoof to her muzzle. “You've returned! Did...” She gulped. “Did it work?!? Did the Staff of Sacanas drive away the Storm King's Magic?! Did you get to save the cruise ship in time?”

While the rest of the group wheezed for breath, Sunset trotted forward. “Everybody from the cruise ship has been saved. The ship itself... … … mmmmm... not so much...”

“Holy guacamole!” Spike gasped. “You mean it totally sunk?!?”

“Yessir!” Rainbow Dash hovered beside Sunset. She replaced her exhaustion with pride for a brief moment. “But we saved all hands on deck with our awesome superpowers!” A forelimb flex. “Wish you were there to see it! It was totally a comic book hero moment! Only... out at sea. And... there was a dumb parrot telling us what to do—”

“Point is...” Sunset spoke over her prismatic friend. “We got everyone off the ship safely. But they still need our help. They... we need your help.”

“You do?” Princess Twilight Sparkle blinked. She stood in place, her face awash with thought. Then she spoke with an epiphany: “You brought everyone through the portal, didn't you?”

“The whole crew?!?” Spike grimaced. “That has to be—like—thousands!”

“Two hundred and twenty-two, to be exact,” the human-turned-Twilight said, adjusting her glasses. “It wasn't the largest cruise ship.”

“I told the majority of them to stay back at the edge of the Everfree Forest,” Sunset remarked. “While this small scouting party came here to spread word. I didn't think it was wise to have the entire group march straight into Ponyville. I... uh...” She raised a delicate hoof. “...I think you can understand why.”

“Oh, I do.” The Princess nodded. “And I understand why you chose to do what you did. Considering the nature of the new portal you discovered—and its proximity to Ponyville—this was the quickest and safest solution.”

“The Everfree Forest wasn't exactly safe,” Rainbow Dash said. She folded her forelimbs with a smirk. “But nothing we couldn't handle!”

“Yer Majesty...” Applejack stepped forward. She took her hat off and bowed her head. “Pleasure meetin' ya again, sugarcube.”

Princess Twilight giggled. “Please, Applejack. We're friends.” She shook her head. “You don't have to do that!”

“Back home, it might make perfect sense!” Rarity exclaimed. “But here we are—in reality! In your Castle!” She spun about, pinching her own pony cheeks as her eyes filled with stars. “Your magical... magical castle...!”

“Hoo boyyyyyy...” Applejack placed her hat back on and rolled her eyes.

“Why... it's just so beautiful and fantastical and charming I could just—!” And Rarity let loose a girlish whimper as she fell into the prepared Applejack's forelimbs.

“Wait a second...!” Fluttershy craned her neck, squinting at the Princess' purple assistant. “Spike?” Her muzzle hung agape as she shuffled forward. “Dragon Spike?”

“What? Huh?” A pair of green eyeslits blinked back at her. “Oh! Hey there, Fluttershy! Yup! This is the real non-doggo me!” He flexed his tiny biceps. “In the flesh! Er... scales...”

“Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...!” Fluttershy slid forward, squatting low before the dinky draconian. “You are just... so... adorable!” She leaned in and rubbed her cheek against his chest. “Just look at you! Why... you look exactly like my middle school drawings on Deviantart!”

“Awwwww... jeee... thanks...” Spike cleared his throat and leaned in towards the Princess. “What's a Deviantart?

The Princess shrugged. “I have no idea.

“Uhm... Your Highness?” Lyra stepped forward, shaking the cobwebs from her mane. “I hate to speak out of place and such... but...” She gestured vaguely out towards the front entrance. “Our friends are waiting back for us at the Everfree Forest and the sun's going down...”

“Yes...” Derpy nodded. “We've had some... uhm... delays in getting here too.”

Now it all makes sense!” Princess Twilight rubbed her chin in thought. “You need my help in getting them all here so they can walk through the portal.”

“If it's not too much trouble,” Applejack said.

“Applejack.” The Princess nodded at her, then looked down the line of ponies. “Lyra Heartstrings, I presume. Derpy Hooves. Bulk Biceps...”

Off to the side, Trixie Lulamoon and Flash Sentry stood side by side—the latter trembling slightly. Trixie glanced at her trot buddy, then glanced back at the Princess. Neither said a word.

Princess Twilight Sparkle smiled, trotting up towards the cluster of scouts. “Pinkie Pie. Trixie. What you all did here was very brave. And I promise you it won't go unrewarded. I will bring the rest of your group here—safe and sound. A simple teleportation spell should do.”

“You sure about that, your pretty prancing princess pony-ness?” Pinkie Pie asked. “Two hundred and twenty two peops is a lot of peops to dispeopsplace!”

“You're not wrong. It is a lot of ponies to move. But I've faced bigger challenges before. Not to worry.” Princess Twilight smiled. “To be perfectly safe, I'll utilize the help of Sunset Shimmer here. What's more, I've got a friend named Starlight Glimmer who is also very gifted at magic. Together, I'm more than certain the three of us will have your friends gathered here within the hour.”

“Can they all fit in a place like this?!?” Bulk Biceps wheezed.

“This place really is bigger on the inside!” Lyra added.

The Princess giggled lightly. “I think most things here in Equestria will surprise you. I felt the same way about the stuff I witnessed in your world. But just like I was helped during my visits, I'll be sure everyone visiting Equestria receives the same hospitality.” She smiled at Lyra, Fluttershy, Trixie, Flash, Pinkie... “Spike?”

“Yes ma'am?”

“Send a letter to Starlight! Then go and fetch the rest of my friends from around town!”

“Yes, ma'am!” Spike saluted.

“I have to gather a few spellbooks in preparation. Then I'll fly out to Everfree and greet Sunset's friends in person! Tell the rest of the mares to meet me there!”

“Will do!”

Spike waddled off, and the Princess made for the library wing. As she trotted, she spoke over her flank. “Sunset, I'll need your assistance. The rest of you—please make yourself at home. You've deserved some relaxation after your arduous trip.”

The room filled with sighs of relief as the humans-turned-horses settled around in various spots.

All except for Trixie and Flash.

Flash Sentry stood dead still, his limbs locked as he gazed wide-eyed at the last location the Princess had occupied.

Trixie patiently stared at him.

“She... … ...” Flash's muzzle hung open. “... … ...she didn't say a single thing to me.”

His trot buddy blinked.

“... … ...she barely even acknowledged my existence.”

“That's...” Trixie put on a brave smile. “...a good thing, right?”

“Buhhhh...” Flash exhaled. “Absolutely! But...”

“But...?”

“... … ….why do I somehow feel so awful about it?”

Trixie bit her lip.

Flash's ears drooped. He hung his head. “I think I need a drink.”

“You're seventeen years old,” Trixie reminded. Her eyes narrowed. “And a horse.”

“I still think I need a drink.”

“How about a cup of your own tears.”

“Heh...” He bore a bittersweet smirk, eyes lazy and handsome. A shrug. “Maybe.”

Trixie patted his withers. “Come on, sad-sack.” She motioned towards the corner. “Let's sit and sulk in luxury.”

“Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... okay...”