• Published 14th Mar 2020
  • 2,487 Views, 196 Comments

Apple Bloom's Mansion 3: The Hotel of Eternal Rest - Lucar



Apple Bloom and the others are invited in Eternal Rest's hotel. It's a trap. Thankfully, Apple Bloom won't be alone this time.

  • ...
1
 196
 2,487

Mezzanine Part 2

After a quick passage to the basement to give Twilight the portable energy cannon for her to study, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Little Ghost climbed the stairs to return to the Grand Lobby and go to the second floor. However, here, they encountered two blue ghosts and a red one.

"Alright Sweetie Belle, ya deal with the blue ghosts while me and Little Ghost capture the red one," instructed Apple Bloom.

"Okay," replied Sweetie Belle as she went to capture the two blue ghosts who were side by side, giving her the opportunity to trap both of them at the same time.

Meanwhile, the red ghost tried to crush Apple Bloom and Little Ghost by slamming his rectangular body on them, but they quickly went out of the way and used the occasion to catch his two tails. After a few slammings, he disappeared inside Apple Bloom's Poltergust just after Sweetie Belle finished capturing the blue ghosts.

"You know," then said Little Ghost. "We should name them."

"Ya're right, but Ah don't know what to name them. Ah already used the colors for the ghosts of Evershade Valley," said Apple Bloom.

"Speaking of, you should rename them. Naming them after their colors is very... so-so," said Sweetie Belle.

"Ah couldn't think of anything better," replied Apple Bloom with a pout. "And they didn't mind."

"Well, I think I know how to name the blue ghosts. If they're as mischievous as the green ghosts of Evershade Valley, and so far, they are, then Trickster would work for them. What do you think?" proposed Sweetie Belle.

"That's great! And the Greens would be named Prankster!" said Little Ghost.

"Ah like those names. About the red ones... Mmh... Bulky and Buffy?" proposed Apple Bloom.

"Perfect! Uh... Which one is Bulky and which one is Buffy?"

"Erh... Let's go with Buffy for the rectangular ones. Now... The Blues..."

"Easy. They love to hide, so let's call them Hider," said Little Ghost.

"The Oranges..."

"Big Brain, obviously."

"Now, the Browns..."

"Uuuh... Glutton, maybe?"

"Goost!" suddenly shouted Sweetie Belle. "As in, 'ghost' and 'goo', because they're ghosts made of goo!"

"That works! And now, the Purples."

"Hugger."

"And the Pinks."

"Sneaker."

"Well, Ah think that's all of them," said Apple Bloom.

"I wonder if we will appear in history books for having named the ghosts," wondered Sweetie Belle.

«Not just for that. Trust me,» said Twilight.

The fillies climbed the stairs and tried the key they received from Cruller on the door at the right of the entrance to the ballroom, but it didn't open it, so they entered the ballroom. Here, the key opened the door to the left, entering the west wing of the hallway of the floor. Apple Bloom and the others never explored the west wing because it was reserved for the staff, so she wasn't sure what to expect.

It turned out not much; the hallway turned to the right, and was only leading to two doors north of the ballroom before ending at the door connecting to the east wing. Both doors were open, the first one leading to what seemed to be a storage room, while the other led to a dressing room. The fillies decided to explore the storage room first.

The room was full of draped objects, and among them, the fillies found a chest full of bits. There was also a shelf with some bits and a piggy bank full as well as a safe which they just had to turn a crank to open it and get even more bits and a few gems. Finally, there was a small area behind the wall behind the shelf that looked empty at first (only a few spiders being present), but Polterpup was here and sniffed something invisible at the end. So Apple Bloom used the DLD, making another chest appear, this one not only full of bit and gems but also containing a key.

However, when they were about to leave the room, they were ambushed by five Tricksters and a dozen of Little Tricksters, all armed with iron bars except one who was armed with a portable energy cannon like the one Cruller used. When she saw it, Little Ghost immediately became worried.

"Hum... Girls?"

"On it!" shouted Sweetie Belle as she took her head and threw it at the Trickster before he could fire at the filly ghost.

While Sweetie recovered her head, Apple Bloom crushed the dropped cannon under her hoof, ensuring that none of the ghosts could grab it and use it while she captured the Little Tricksters who approached too much. At the same time, Little Ghost trapped two Tricksters and slammed them on the one about to attack Apple Bloom from behind, leaving the Apple filly to deal with him. When Sweetie Belle finally recovered her head, she immediately trapped the last two Tricksters, getting dragged around but quickly pressing her back hooves against one of the draped objects to stop this.

The ghosts captured, they left the room and entered the dressing room, which possessed a large mirror on the opposite wall above three tables as well as a coat rack on the left, and some drawers. The coat rack had many uniforms, while the disguises that the ghosts used were piled on the tables. Behind a purple coat at the left of the mirror, they found another safe, and with the help of the mirror, they discovered an invisible chest containing gold, gems, and a key. As soon as they took the key, three dozen Little Tricksters ambushed them with two Tricksters armed with the energy cannons appearing among them, aiming at Little Ghost.

The Little Tricksters went after Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, stopping them from attacking the two Tricksters who fired at Little Ghost. So Little Ghost was forced to fly around to avoid the shoots until she managed to get the two Tricksters at once, the two ghosts stupidly getting too close from each other. When she was finished with them, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were also finished with the little ones.

"They aren't as diversified as the painted ghosts from the Gem Manor, but they sure know how to diversify their strategies to attack us," said Apple Bloom.

"Too bad for them, we are a good team," said Sweetie Belle.

"Yeah. And in the end, their energy cannons aren't too bad. They're easy to dodge if I remain careful."

"Ya won't think the same thing when ya'll face five ghosts armed with those cannons," said Apple Bloom.

"Mmh... you're right. Maybe I should take something to protect myself, like a shield."

"Where will you find a shield in this hotel?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"Not necessarily a real shield. Anything that can be used as such. Like... Hey! We're close to the restaurant and the kitchen! I could use a tray, or a lid!"

"This could work," agreed Apple Bloom with a nod.

They exited the dressing room, encountering a Trickster patrolling the hallway. After capturing him quickly and easily, they went to the door leading to the east wing. They then used one of the two keys they found, the one from the dressing room, to unlock the door.

"So this is what you went through two times, Apple Bloom?"

"Eeyup. Explore rooms, capture ghosts, find keys, open doors, and repeat. Well, there're fewer keys in Evershade Valley, and many other things like finding objects stolen by ghosts or solving some puzzles. There's even that time where Ah'd to use dynamite."

«And Ah hope this won't be needed in this hotel,» said Applejack.

"Come on, AJ, it's a hotel. Why'd there be dynamite here?"

«Dynamites aren't the only explosives. And in a hotel, ya never know. Especially in a hotel run by evil ghosts.»

"Good point. But it's still a hotel. Besides chambers, bathrooms, restrooms, and hallways, what'll we find?"

«It's a high-class hotel,» said Twilight. «There will probably be some special floors, like a gym, or others to have some leisure activities. A library, an arcade room, maybe even a movie theater. Remember, there's already a floor with a stage for music shows and plays. And don't forget the third floor with the shops.»

"Ah didn't know hotels could've so much stuff."

«Because you never went inside a hotel like this one.»

While they talked, the fillies entered the east wing, a T-shaped hallway with the first part going south to north from the still locked door leading back to the Grand Lobby to the restaurant, and the second part going to the east leading to the restrooms. They directly went to the restaurant, opening the large double door leading to it.

The fillies went silent when they entered the restaurant, seeing that the tables were full of Tricksters eating the food messily (only for the food to drop out of their body on the floor, making an even bigger mess).

"There's a lot of them..." whispered Sweetie Belle.

"Don't worry. That's nothing. Ah fought worse, and Ah's alone," whispered back Apple Bloom.

"Now, we are three," whispered Little Ghost with a giggle. She then approached the ghosts, took the handle of her Poltergust, and as the first ghosts spotted her, shouted, "Alright, guys! End of the meal! It's cleaning t-Eep!"

She was interrupted by a plate full of food suddenly thrown at her. As the plate caught her, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle had to jump to the side to avoid it, wincing as they heard the plate hit the wall behind them. The Tricksters, meanwhile, took the food from the tables before placing them on their sides, using them as cover. Most of the Tricksters then prepared themselves to throw food while some armed themselves with forks, knives, spoons, and even baguettes. Among them, a few even took empty plates or trays to use as shields behind which they hid. A few bowls were even used as helmets.

As the ghosts began to throw food at them, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle quickly jumped behind the board separating the main part of the restaurant from the waiting area where they were.

"'That's nothing', uh?" said Sweetie Belle.

"That's not mah first food fight against ghosts, but that's the first one where ghosts're acting smart. But we can deal with them if we act smart, too." Spotting Little Ghost coming back, now holding the empty plate, clearly not happy after what happened, she pointed at her. "Little Ghost, ya fly around and take the food throwers from behind." She turned back to Sweetie Belle. "As for ya, ya'll go after the ones using knives and stuff. Since ya're a skeleton, ya'd be alright. As for me..." She grabbed the empty plate from Little Ghost and put it in front of her while grabbing the handle of her Poltergust, smirking. "FOR EQUESTRIAAAAAAA!!!"

Apple Bloom charged from behind the board toward the nearest ghost, a Trickster armed with a knife and using a tray as a shield. Thanks to the plate, Apple Bloom wasn't hit by the food thrown at her and reached the ghost without problems. She parried the knife with her plate-shield, then spun, side-kicking the tray-shield of the ghost. With another spin, she faced the ghost again before he could replace his shield, put the end of her Poltergust just in front of his face, and activated it, catching the ghost. She then raised her shield, parrying a fork, lowered her head to avoid a watermelon, and slammed the ghost on another one who was about to attack her with a baguette. While her ghost was still face against the other, she then spun, sweeping the floor with him until he hit the ghost with the fork she parried while she used her shield to deflect a piece of cake.

Her friends quickly acted, following the instructions they were given. Little Ghost went first, flying near the ceiling before dropping back behind the ghosts hiding behind the tables. They looked at her in horror, but most of them returned to throwing food while only four of them decided to attack her. Little Ghost didn't go after them however, deciding to target in priority the ones still throwing food. She trapped one, then used him to destroy the nearest tables, depriving the ghosts from their covers.

With fewer ghosts throwing food, Sweetie Belle came out next and went to help Apple Bloom by trapping a ghost with a spoon and a plate-shield from behind and slamming him on one of the ghosts now surrounding her friend. She quickly jumped to avoid a piece of cheese, then slammed the ghost on another ghost surrounding Apple Bloom. By now, she had gained the attention of some of the ghosts, and as she slammed her ghost a third time, she was stabbed from behind by a knife user.

She giggled, then made her head do a half-turn to look at her attacker, creeping him out, not helped by her skull's eternal grin. "Hey, buddy, where do you see a heart to stab?"

The ghost laughed sheepishly.

Apple Bloom finished capturing her fourth ghost, then decided to go help Little Ghost dealing with the food-throwers. However, by now, her plate had broken because of a pie thrown at her hitting it, so she replaced it by a tray, then charged toward the only table still in one piece, circling it, and trapping two of the ghosts still hiding behind it. A third one prepared himself to punch her, only to be hit in the head by a watermelon thrown by Little Ghost. Another watermelon was thrown at a shield-user trying to use said shield to bash Sweetie Belle's skull.

"You know, I could get used to this," said Sweetie Belle as she slammed a ghost on one possessing a shield.

"And ya're very good. If ya want to join our team of ghost hunters for good, ya're welcome," said Apple Bloom while she used her shield to block a punch before she trapped the ghost.

"You know what? I think I will join, yes."

"Great! And once we save her, we will ask Scootaloo to join us!" shouted happily Little Ghost as she was riding on the head of a ghost while capturing another.

"Aw yeah!" shouted Apple Bloom. "And then, we'll be the Cutie Mark Crusaders Ghost Hunters!" She grabbed a plate and threw it like a frisbee toward Little Ghost who caught it and slammed it on the ghost she was riding, stunning him.

"Can we even still call ourselves Cutie Mark Crusaders?" wondered Sweetie Belle as she lowered her head to avoid a spoon. "We all have our Cutie Marks. Well, excepted you, Little Ghost, but..."

"I know, I will never have it, no big deal. I already know my special talent, it's being a super filly ghost!" replied Little Ghost as she grabbed a spoon and began bashing the head of a ghost repeatedly with it. "Bad bad bad bad bad bad! BAD GHOSTY!" She finished with a big hit that made the ghost spin before he dropped on the ground with stars in his eyes and his tongue sticking out.

"Ah suppose ya're right. We'd discuss this with Scoot," said Apple Bloom. "And if, no, when she joins us, we'll find a new, cool ghost hunter name for our group!" At this instant, she returned toward Sweetie Belle and trapped one of the two last ghosts while Sweetie Belle dealt with the other.

Finally, all the ghosts in the restaurant were captured.

"I may have one! What do you think of Ghost Busters?" proposed Sweetie Belle.

"It's a good start," said Little Ghost. "Maybe the Filly Ghost Busters? Since we're all fillies."

"But Ah won't be a filly forever," countered Apple Bloom. "Ah think..." she quickly added, remembering how she could die at any moment because of Thanatos. "We'll find something once we're done with this cursed hotel. But Ah like yer proposition, Sweetie Belle." She then licked some food that had gotten on her hoof in the battle's chaos. "Mmh! Too bad we'll probably have to capture the chef who made this food! He's really good!"

Sweetie Belle eyed a bowl of ice cream, then sighed in sadness.

The fillies then entered the kitchen, Little Ghost taking Apple Bloom's tray to use it as a shield, and here, they finally encountered the chef of the hotel. He was a light brown stallion in a chef uniform, with a dark brown unruly mane as well as a large messy mustache. When they entered, he was happily cooking while singing a song in what Sweetie Belle recognized was Prench.

However, the stallion quickly spotted them, and he was so surprised that he dropped the bowl full of dough he was blending.

"Qu'est-ce que...?! What are you doing in ma cuisine?! Don't you see I'm occupé, nom d'un chien?!" he shouted in his part-Prench speech with a Prench accent.

"We just want the button you probably possess," answered Apple Bloom. "Then we'll leave."

"That thing?" asked the chef as he showed a button with a 4 on it. "Désolé, but I can't give it. Ordres du boss. I have nothing against you, mes petites pouliches, but I don't want to end dans une poupée."

Apple Bloom didn't know Prench, but she easily understood what he talked about. "That's why we're there. Me and mah friends want to capture Eternal Rest and save everypony. But we need this button to continue."

The chef looked at them in pity. "You have no chance against her, mes petites pouliches. If you want to keep your liberté, then turn around and leave cet hôtel."

"We aren't scared of that witch!" shouted Apple Bloom.

"If you think so, but you will have to take this button from me! I can't cuisiner as une poupée!"

Without warning, the chef took a frying pan and threw it at Apple Bloom. The chef was so close, his action so sudden, and his throw so fast that Apple Bloom hadn't time to dodge, and she took the frying pan on the head and fell on her back, stunned.

"Désolé, mes petites pouliches, I don't like to hurt you, but I have no choice!"

At this, he threw another frying pan at Sweetie Belle, but the filly skeleton jumped to the side with an "Eep!" to dodge it. Meanwhile, Little Ghost approached the chef and prepared to activate her Poltergust, but to her surprise, the chef charged at her with a bowl and a blender. He put her in the bowl, then used the blender to stir her rapidly.

"Woaaaahhh!! Heeeeeeelp!!"

Suddenly, the chef found himself trapped in two vortex coming from his left and his right, and he dropped the bowl and the blender, freeing a now dizzy Little Ghost. The chef couldn't do much against the power of two Poltergusts. He still tried to throw stuff at Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, to no avail. Before long, he was sucked up in Sweetie Belle's Poltergust screaming "Nom d'un chieeeeennnn!!" leaving the filly skeleton to take the dropped button.

Only for a mouse to jump out of nowhere and to take the button in its maw before passing through a hole in the wall leading back to the restaurant.

"What? Where did this mouse come from?! And why did it take the button?!" shouted Sweetie Belle.

"Ah don't know, but we must follow it," said Apple Bloom before she turned to Little Ghost. "Are ya alright?"

"Yes. Yes. Don't worry. I have recovered."

They returned to the restaurant and saw the mouse enter a hole under the counter, under the windows that let the customers have a view of the valley. Little Ghost followed the mouse in the hole, only for the mouse to come out the next second, followed by the now growling filly ghost. They followed it back into the hallway all the way to the entertainment room beside the door leading back to the Grand Lobby. Like its name implied, it was a room made to pass a nice time playing some games, like billiards or dart. As they entered it, they saw the mouse pass under a locker to the north.

However, as they approached it, something strongly threw a billiards ball at the back of Sweetie Belle's head, causing it to fall and roll on the ground. Apple Bloom and Little Ghost quickly turned around to see who did this, and saw on the billiards table a ghost looking very much like the Hiders from Evershade Valley, but yellow. Two more yellow ghosts appeared, and the three of them went to hide in the pockets of the table.

"Oh. Those guys. Watch out, girls, their throws're no joke," warned Apple Bloom.

"No kidding!" said Sweetie Belle as she put her head back in place.

As they began to approach the table, the ghosts came out of the pockets and began to throw billiards balls. The fillies went in different directions to dodge them while continuing to approach. Apple Bloom reached the first ghost and trapped him, and the others returned in the pockets to hide only for Little Ghost to join one of the ghosts in his pocket. The table began to shake, and the yellow ghost came out to escape from Little Ghost only for her to follow and to trap him. The third came out to save his friends, but Sweetie Belle was prepared for him and got him.

"That was easy," said Sweetie Belle.

Apple Bloom nodded. "By themselves, they're okay, but when they team up with other ghosts, they become the worst. They throw objects at ya from their hiding place while ya're busy with the other ghosts."

"If this happens, then one of us will go to flush them out while the others capture the other ghosts."

"This'll certainly make it easier. It's a nightmare when Ah's alone in Evershade Valley."

"So, where were we?"

"The mouse under the lockers," answered Sweetie Belle.

"Thanks. Right."

Little Ghost followed the mouse under the lockers while the other two went in front of them, readying themselves to catch the mouse if it escaped again. But then, the door of the middle locker suddenly opened, slamming on Apple Bloom's head, and the mouse jumped out of the locker and escaped.

"What?!" yelled Sweetie Belle. "How did it get inside the locker?!"

Little Ghost came out and answered, "There's a hole..."

"Just our luck..." groaned Apple Bloom.

Again, they followed the mouse in the hallway until they saw it pass by a hole to the mare's restroom. However, when they entered it, they saw the mouse nowhere.

"Let's look around," said Apple Bloom.

Her friends nodded, and they separated to look in the sinks and the stalls. Eventually, they discovered that one of the stalls was closed, so Apple Bloom bucked it and it opened.

The mouse was on the toilet... with a dozen others. In panic, they fled out of the stall, and Sweetie Belle jumped on Apple Bloom's back. Apple Bloom didn't let herself be distracted by this (Sweetie Belle was very light) and managed to catch the mouse with the button by the tail. Little Ghost then grabbed the button and quickly flew up to make sure that no mice could catch it. Apple Bloom let the mouse go.

"Now let's return to the elevator before we lose it again. And get off mah back Sweetie Belle! What did Ah say earlier about mice?"

Sweetie Belle laughed sheepishly. "Sorry. I panicked."

Author's Note:

Name: Cordon Bleu
Age when dead: 44
Time of death: 19 years ago
Cause of death: Suicide by hanging.
Info: Chef Cordon Bleu was a famed chef who came from Prance to share his cooking with Equestria. He opened the famous restaurant Le Cordon Bleu and his cooking was so good that he received a proposition to join the castle staff, but he refused. "I don't want cuisiner just for the princess and the nobles, nom d'un chien!" was his answer. But one day, a food critic too critical caused his restaurant to lose a star. He was so ashamed by this that he hanged himself. His restaurant sadly didn't survive his death, and the food critic who caused this became the most hated pony of Equestria to the point that he decided to leave to Prance, which wasn't better once the ponies here heard of what he caused, and he ended poisoned.