• Published 14th Oct 2022
  • 2,895 Views, 83 Comments

Let's Give Us A Try - ProjectZerro



Spike is left alone at home, again. His sister is out of town and she's appointed him, a nineteen year old boy, a babysitter. At least she's cool.

  • ...
8
 83
 2,895

You Know What's Not Cool?

When the sun shined on days like this, it seemed like it was purposely taunting him. Everything outside was bright and happy, full of energy and possibilities. People walked the streets, dogs were barking and playing with their owners and their children, college students laughed about one thing or another, all of it seemed to be taunting him. “I hate the sun.”

“And last night you claimed to hate the moon.”

Spike, the adopted son of Night Light and Twilight Velvet, turned, staring unamused at his older sister. She was cute if he had to use the standards of other people to describe her, long purple hair with a streak of raspberry, cut evenly and neatly, he could admire his own work when he wanted to, they both agreed Twilight should never hold scissors ever again. Peach toned skin and violet eyes made her quite the looker, and people everywhere went for the whole ‘girl in glasses carrying a book at all times’ thing. She stood at a reasonable 5’6” and though she was known to spend more time in books than out in the sun, she was well groomed and presentable at all times. Plaid shirt and a skirt that dropped down to her knees, that was Twilight Sparkle, powerful Soulsage, honor roll student, presumed valedictorian and all around amazing genius, and the bane of his existence right now.

“Then let’s just say I hate them both? Maybe I just hate time as a concept.”

Twilight for her part sighed, walking into her brother’s room and sitting next to him on his oversized bed. “Are you going to keep being this way until I come back?”

“Nah, just the rest of my natural life.”

“Spike, look at me.”

Her brother turned from the window to face her as his tail laid limp behind him.

“It’s just a week.”

“A BABYSITTER TWILIGHT!?” Spike yelled and flopped hard onto his bed. “I do NOT need a babysitter dammit!”

Twilight groaned and rubbed the bridge of her nose. “Language, Spike.”

“I am a grown ass man!” Spike yelled in return.

“Do you pay the bills in this house?” Twilight squinted her eyes at him again, she hated cursing in general but something about listening to Spike do it made it so much worse.

“As a matter of fact, yes I do. I pay the phone and internet bill.”

Twilight blinked and summoned this month's bills, recognizing a lot of Spike’s handwriting on everything even if she and Spike split a lot of the bills. “...well I still can’t have you cursing up a storm when you don’t get your way. Mom and dad said that I was in charge while we lived alone and my number 1 rule is-”

“No cursing, no pornography and no internet after 12 am, not that you follow even half of those.”

“I do follow all of my rules!”

“You issues of ‘Big Iron’ says otherwise,” Twilight suddenly didn’t feel like looking at Spike anymore. “Also I always check the log in times just to throw them in your face.”

Twilight glared at the dravyern boy. “I’m telling you Spike it's just because I want you to be safe while I’m gone.”

“Here we go.” Spike rolled onto his side.

“I’m serious! I read up on some incidents happening in the city nearby, there’s been robberies and even a kidnapping!”

“Two years ago!”

“It could still happen and don’t interrupt me!”

The bickering didn’t stop for at least another hour, Spike loved his sister dearly, he really did. He’d jump in front of a car to keep her safe, he’d already done it once, there wasn’t much that would stop him from trying to keep her safe. But by the gods above did she get on his nerves. If it wasn’t enough that she restricted his access to everything but she was incapable of trusting him on his own. She was going to leave town for some kind of week-long event, he wasn’t really paying attention when she was talking about it, but was leaving one of their friends to watch him while she was gone. It was something he was slowly getting tired of, being treated like a kid just for looking younger than he actually was. It wasn’t like his dravyern blood was a secret, his long tail, the scales on his back, the predator-like eyes, a pair of, while useless at the moment, wings that he’d sprouted some time ago and the ability to breathe flames, it was all a bit hard to keep secret. But it also meant that he was long lived, which in turn meant a longer time spent in what would be referred to as ‘adolescence’ for his kind. He didn’t look like he was a 19 year old college student, but he was one and had to prove it over and over again throughout his life.

And dammit all his sister did not help.

He gave up long into the bickering and accepted his lot in life, simply using this chance to pester her for doing this to him. Just because he was an adult didn’t mean he couldn’t be a little childish.

Twilight’s ringing phone put an end to his petty attempt at revenge as she got up and left to answer. “So who’s my warden for the week anyway?”

“Two weeks! I told you that.” He really didn’t care. “And as to who I called over, they’re already here.” Twilight’s voice got further away but his enhanced hearing meant they both knew he could hear her.

Spike for his part just sat up, wondering how to present himself and decided being pantless and in his boxers wasn’t a good start. He tossed on one of his purple sets of pants and a green short sleeve jacket, walking out and pulling on a pair of socks as he stepped against the carpeted hallway. Staying in his room would just depress him further, so he went to face the music.

He stepped out soon enough to catch his sister on the phone, happily chatting away with his would-be tormentor. He figured it had to be one of her book-type friends, he wouldn’t mind spending a week with Moondancer or Twinkleshine, he had a decent rapport with them even if it meant he’d be locked to whatever rules Twilight gave them.

When Twilight went to the front door his eyes followed her, he wondered if he could sneak out but didn’t want to bother with the aftermath. Time to pay the piper.

He wasn’t usually this pessimistic, he swears.

He walked to stand behind his sister as she opened the door, he almost had to double take.

“Sup Twi?” Her scratchy voice was a dead giveaway, but then again, everything about Rainbow Dash gave her away. Long, wild multicolored hair, amaranth, vermilion, grayish olive, harlequin, cerulean and purple. He was being eloquent today. Tanned skin and bright cerise eyes jumped from Twilight to Spike, that signature smirk always made him feel better, it was especially comforting considering this whole thing somehow. She was taller than he and Twilight both at 5'10”, not that either was hard to do. Her toned, lithe body showed somewhat against the dark sleeveless shirt, her arms and tattoo open out to the world since her favorite Wonderbolts jacket was tied around her waist. Faded dark-blue pants hugged her hips and ended in a worn pair of blue and yellow shoes. Rainbow was an athletic type of beauty, Spike could appreciate that, she was genuinely attractive when she wasn’t being a prankster.

“Hello Rainbow Dash, sorry again for taking your time like this.” Twilight smiled and the two friends shared a small hug.

“No prob! I get to take it easy for a week, all good with me.”

"Two weeks actually..." Twilight breathed out as she watched Rainbow Dash step in and looked down at Spike, smiling at the dravyernian boy.

He could feel it coming.

“Sup squirt?”

There it was.

“Sup Crash.”

Rainbow Dash’s smirk faltered as a rosey color tinted her cheeks, Spike smirked in response.

“Spike! Be nice.” Twilight chided him but Spike just waved it off and moved from the hall to the doorway and into the living room. “Sorry about him Rainbow, he’s being difficult today.”

“Eh, it's chill. I get worse from AJ and Pinkie any day of the week.” She turned as a suitcase magically flew to Twilight’s hand.

“Well I’ll get out of your hair now, I sent you the rules Spike has to follow, there’s enough food to feed the both of you for a week, if you need anything else go with Spike to do some shopping. If anything happens let me know.” Twilight rummaged through her handbag and handed Rainbow Dash a marginally thicker wad of cash then the athletic girl expected.

“Oh uh, sure thing.” Rainbow began counting and flicked through the money being handed to her. She expected maybe $200, $400 at best, but $2000?

Maybe she should babysit Spike more often.

Though she hadn’t realized Twilight was still talking before she was done counting. “Twi just go already, I’ve got this.” She reached out and patted her friend’s shoulder. “Leave the twerp to me and go have fun at whatever you’re doing.”

She shoved the girl out of her own house and grabbed the door handle. “See ya in a week or something.”

“I said two-”

The door shut on her and Rainbow stretched before kicking off her shoes immediately, flicking through the money in her hands. When Twilight came to her for this she was initially pretty iffy about the whole thing. Spike needing a babysitter? He was an adult. Twilight said something about just watching him, keeping tabs so he doesn’t do anything stupid or something like that. The track star hummed to herself as she recalled it, Spike was always pretty responsible, outside of the few times he acted a little ridiculous because of his crush on Rarity. She just couldn’t imagine Spike doing something that would get him in trouble.

She stepped into the living room to address her ‘charge’ and took a long look at him, something she didn’t recall doing in some time. Spike was…short. At 5’2” he was one of the shortest guys around the campus, even shorter than most girls she knew, it didn’t help that he also didn’t look like an adult, lacking that facial structure you’d expect from someone who was 19 years old. Something about his dravyern blood made him like this, she didn’t remember the details. What he lacked in height, he made up for in being stronger than most people, even if it didn't show on his body. Short, spiky green hair over dark brown skin made him stick out, in a good way, he was like an exotic plant or something. He had piercing green eyes that took on a predatory sharpness even when he wasn’t focusing on anything. The long spade-tipped dragon-like tail that lazily flopped on the couch he was sat upon was purple with light green under scales and had green malleable spikes that led up to parts unseen, she knew that he had purple scales up along his back, having made fun of him for his molt seasons in the past. He had these pointed ears and she recalled his teeth were sharp like the other dravyernians, she honestly didn’t recall much about them. She did know however, that under his green hoodie was a pair of small purple and green wings, mostly because he couldn’t fly. All things together he was…cute? That was the word a few girls had referred to him. Rainbow didn’t disagree per say, she would just never say it out loud.

After the inspection of the young man was done she flopped on the couch, joining him but keeping a decent distance between them, an entire cushion as a matter of fact. She liked to stretch out and was about to when Spike spoke up.

“So? How much did she bribe you with?”

Rainbow caught an edge to his voice but played it off as being upset of having someone watching him. She’d be upset too. “Two thousand flat. I didn’t know the egghead had this kinda cheese.”

Spike glanced at her and crossed his legs. “It helps that she’s a penny pincher, she’s really good at holding onto money, mom and dad didn’t even have to worry about the funds they put away for us. However, I wouldn’t be super excited about that.”

Rainbow’s brow raised in response.

“That’s food money.”

Rainbow blinked. “But Twi said-”

“That we had enough food to feed us over the week and that I’d take care of shopping after that? Yeah, no. Twilight doesn’t put groceries in the house, I do, so I know that the food in there is enough for about a week at best if we eat like a Soulsage, which is breakfast and dinner and maybe lunch. I have a stomach for three people and you’re a Skyborn which means your metabolism is higher and thus you need to eat at least twice as much as any normal Soulsage. Twilight, my dear loving sister, didn’t factor in that I portion my food and hers very differently.”

Rainbow’s open mouth closed while Spike went on his spiel, he really was Twilight’s brother. “So…this $2000?”

“Will be gone before she even gets back.”

“...well shit.”

“It’s either use that or our own money, it's up to you really.” Spike leaned back onto the couch and huffed.

Rainbow turned and put her legs up on the remainder of the couch, just far enough from Spike that she couldn’t kick him. “We’ll just use it then, no point in it sitting around and gathering dust.” She leaned her head back and thought of things to better her mood. “Two weeks in a comfy pad like this is gonna rock, wonder if we should call the girls over for a party? Get something big going on, pizza, loud ass music and a good stiff drink.”

Spike chuckled. “Oh poor delusional Rainbow Dash, read Twi’s list of rules.”

Rainbow Dash blinked, she hadn’t done that yet. She pulled out her phone and checked the several messages that Twilight had been sending her these past few days and scrolled through the unread messages until she found a list. “What the fuck!?”

“Yep.”

“No alcohol, no junk food, no gatherings of more than 3 people at once while in the house.” Rainbow blinked and read on and on, getting more and more confused. “Curfew!? What are you? 12?”

“Mhm…”

“Parties are prohibited and Spike must remain at home at such a time that Pinkie Pie organizes one, if he is invited he is to return home at 8pm!? Is she a prison warden?”

“You see now what I deal with.”

Rainbow looked at Spike and he seemed to be in an even worse mood after she read that all out. Of course he would be! This was stupid! “Fuck these.”

Spike just turned to her when she said that.

“We’re not following these, do whatever you want to man.” Rainbow sat up straight and crossed her arms. “You know what’s cool? I’m here and in charge, so I say fuck these rules, if Twi has a problem with that she should have gotten someone else to watch you.”

Spike’s mood brightened a little at that but not by much, she understood, years of harsh rules do that.

“You know what else is cool? We’re gonna party before she gets back.” Rainbow smirked but Spike just rolled his eyes. “Come on man, chin up! Think about it! Beer, good grub, loud music and staying up till the ass crack of dawn.”

He huffed and Rainbow just groaned a little before tapping her chin. She didn’t want Spike feeling like this the entire time she was here, but she was awesome at cheering people up.

“You know what else is cool? Going out on the town and doing what we want. We’ve got my car so we can go wherever and do whatever.” Spike’s tail stopped flopping, she wasn’t sure if that was good or not.

“Isn’t it cool being here with me? Bet you’d wish you got Rarity though-” He flinched at that and she swore he said something but it was too low to hear. “She’s on her fashion thing again, but you wouldn’t get the freedom you’d have if I wasn’t here.”

She wasn’t looking at Spike anymore, but kept listing things off. “You wanna stay up? Cool. You want to get drunk? Also cool. Play loud music and eat the biggest burger we can find? Super cool. Parties and girls? Absolutely cool, just don’t do something I wouldn’t do.” Rainbow Dash laughed and though she expected Spike to laugh with her, he didn’t. She remembered they’d been pretty cool in the past, laughing at each other and stuff, maybe he was just imagining everything he could do.

“Something else that’s cool is-”

“You know what’s not cool?”

Rainbow jumped a bit, slowly turning to look at Spike. He was looking at her now, she’d never seen him look this mad before, his eyes were sharpened more then usual, like weapons being pointed at her throat.

“W-wha-”

“Not being able to take a step out of this house without supervision.” His hand gripped the couch, sharp claws scraping at the fabric. “Being told to go to sleep when everyone else is up and active into 3 in the fucking morning.”

He stood up and Rainbow shrunk a bit. “You want to know what’s cool? Rainbow? Watching you girls have fun and go out whenever the hell you want. But what’s not cool is being left behind, told to watch the house or not even being asked if there’s something I want to do. Having my phone taken if I’m on it during dinner, my computer having a fucking shutdown timer on it, restriction on driving MY car, not even being allowed to get a motorcycle, having my shit taken from me, being called short, everyone treating me like some dumbass kid all the time. THAT’S WHAT’S NOT FUCKING COOL!

Spike’s raised voice made Rainbow more scared then she expected of her shorter friend. She blinked in fear at him before he just…seemed to give up and sat back down where he was on the couch.

“Spike…isn’t cool.” He looked away, going quiet and seeming to be done speaking at all.

There was a long pregnant pause between them, the athletic girl staring at Spike in a confused shock. Has he always felt that way? She couldn’t say anything at first, cycling through the things he said. “...but…”

Spike huffed, his tail curling around himself in some kind of defensive stance.

“...okay hold on, she lets you go out. We’ve seen you leave while we’re hanging out.”

“When she knew I was headed to Rarity’s or AJ’s, I didn't go much else. Wherever I do hang out, you girls are all usually there, that and on campus. And if I’m not in her sight she always calls or texts me to ask where I am.”

At that Rainbow thought hard. He hung out with his friends, but she did seem to recall when he was out Twilight would pick up her phone every now and then or take a moment to call. She always just figured she was doing booknerd stuff…

“Okay…I see the curfew thing, I didn’t even know she was doing that. But you said that you didn’t want in on the ‘girly’ stuff.”

“Once.”

“Huh?” Rainbow blinked.

“When I was younger, I told Twilight one time that I didn’t want to hang out and do girly things. She hasn’t asked me again since. And how often are the things you guys do really ‘girly’?”

Rainbow thought back to the last time they hung out, she and the girls went to a concert, they partied and watched sports. They went to some kind of show and a few movies. And she didn’t remember seeing Spike or any of that being very ‘girl’ centric. “...like…a bit of it? I mean I usually don’t want in when they do stuff like talk about guys or gush over fashion…but I’m still there…”

Spike didn’t have to respond to that for her to get what he wanted to say.

They did leave him behind, there was no doubt in her mind about that, they just gathered and took off without thinking, and then that led to all the times Spike brought them food when they were over or the times when he’d come out and Twilight would tell him to get to sleep or something.

“...the phone, car and stuff…that all happens?”

“I only get to drive my car when I’m taking her somewhere, going to college or picking something up. ‘No joyriding Spike, you could get a ticket’.” He mocked his sister and sighed, still not facing her.

Rainbow’s eyes never left him though, she traced his face and eyes, the slight sadness in them growing as he seemed to realize he had outed his feelings. “That's…shit man…I mean…we can’t have always left you out. You’re along for lots of stuff, the car show, that trip we took to Crystal University, that vacation out to uh…fuck! Vanhoover! You were there! I remember that.”

“Oh boy, being dragged along and left in a hotel room while you’re all out doing stuff, being made the luggage boy and being handed money to go and buy snacks…”

Rainbow’s shoulders sagged. Had they really done Spike like that?

They did.

Every time he was around them he was like a bellhop or just told to go to his room, the few times he was around he certainly wasn’t really a part of the conversation. He did talk to them but she couldn’t recall a single time…Spike voiced wanting to do something…

“...I…we…” She started to wipe her eyes, they were getting scratchy and when her eyes fell on Spike again she was sure the guy before her would turn to dust if he could. “...I’m sorry…”

He didn’t answer, the apology only seemed to hurt him.

“We…we shouldn’t be treating you like that! You’re our friend for fucks sake! How the hell have you never brought this up?”

“...Spike, stop being childish.”

The words went through her so fast she thought she’d been shot. There was one time, years ago when they were in high school, Spike wanted to tag along to a PG-13 movie since he had just turned 13, Twilight said he wasn’t mature enough to see it and when he begged to go the words just came out of her. Not Twilight, not Rarity or Applejack, but herself, she’d said the words being echoed back to her.

He’d been holding onto those words for 6 years.

Rainbow didn’t feel so ‘awesome’ or ‘cool’ anymore.

Spike sighed again, heavier than before. “Just…forget it. This is why I didn’t want to say anything…”

“Forget it? Forget it!? Just forget that we’ve been treating you like shit since we’ve known you!? Fourteen. Years. That’s how long we’ve known each other. But not one time did we ever treat you like a friend! How!? How am I supposed to forget!?”

Spike shrunk into himself and Rainbow reigned herself in, she wasn’t mad at Spike, she hated herself right now. “S-sorry I just…I’m sorry.”

“...it's fine.”

“It is fucking not.” Rainbow leaned closer and Spike somehow moved further away from her. “...you’re supposed to be our friend Spike, I always thought we were friends…”

Spike sighed yet again and finally looked at her. “...you are one of my friends. But I was always…Twilight’s little brother. A tagalong. The little kid with the stupid crush…”

Rainbow wanted to tell him he was wrong. But was he? She couldn’t remember the last time the two of them hung out if he wasn’t doing something for her. When was the last time she even thought about Spike when it wasn’t tied to Twilight? She didn’t know.

She sat back down and slumped against the couch. “...sorry…”

Spike just gave a painfully dry chuckle. “Let’s call it even…”

She couldn’t believe the words coming out of his mouth, but she couldn’t think of a single thing to say to the defeated dravyernian male.

…there was one thing she could say.

“You are cool.”

Spike blinked at her. “...no I’m not.”

Rainbow sat up and nodded to herself. “Yes, you are.”

Spike didn’t seem to believe her.

“You’re an awesome cook, you’re funny, you help me fix up my car, you’re cute-” Both of them blushed at that. “You’re super chill, you’re strong, you can code and shit, you’re smart and you’re loyal…after all the shit we’ve given you but you still say I’m your friend…way more than I’ve ever been.”

He just looked at her for a while but just sighed. “...I could pick those apart…”

Rainbow just gave him a flat look, a sad one as well as she realized how down he really was.

“I had to learn to cook because Twilight sucks at it, I joke to make up for feeling inferior, I took classes to build and fix up cars and stuff but no one goes to me for it, they all go to you.” Rainbow hissed, that one stung. “I’m only like this because I can’t act up or I’m seen as annoying otherwise, I had to learn to get past the child lock Twilight put on my computer and I’ll never be as smart or as loyal as any of you…”

“...have…people been comparing you to us?”

“No…I’ve been comparing myself to you all.”

Rainbow was crying again, but she wiped the tears away before they got the best of her. “You don’t have to…”

“...being Spike was never enough so…I felt that if I didn’t…I’d really be forgotten…”

Rainbow and Spike sat there after that, neither of them sure what to say or do after those words. What felt like minutes passed before Rainbow finally spoke.

“You deserved better than us…”

Spike turned to look at her, Rainbow was fighting tears.

“You’re awesome! You cook better than any of those stuffy fucking places Rarity takes us! You laugh at all of our dumb jokes, you put up with me and my bullshit all the fucking time! You made my car fucking awesome! I couldn’t have done that shit! You’re not annoying! You’ve never been annoying! You don’t deserve the way Twilight- no! You don’t deserve the way ANYONE is treating you!” Rainbow gave up and the tears rolled down her face.

“...it's not about what I deserved.” Spike slowly spoke up as Rainbow Dash tried to wipe away the tears more and more. “I…I wanted to belong with you guys. Because no matter how often I was forgotten or not included…you guys are my friends. My best friends.”

She looked at him and realized he was handing her napkins, she stared at them for a while before carefully taking them and blowing her nose. A trash basin slid over with a push of Spike’s tail as well. Rainbow Dash started crying a little more.

“...Rarity doesn’t deserve you.”

“That’s just the tears talking, you don’t mean that.” Spike gave her a dry smile and Rainbow sniffled.

“I don’t…do you still have a thing for her?”

“Haven’t since high school.”

“That’s like…6 years? How has no one noticed?”

Spike just shrugged as Rainbow blew her nose again and finished wiping the tears.

“...you’re awesome man…I would have fucking lost it by now…”

“I’m just built different.” Spike shrugged and Rainbow laughed, he smiled at that.

“How has no one like, snatched you up or whatever? You’re super patient and can cook, don’t most folks go for that shit?”

“You’d be surprised how many girls aren’t super chill dating a guy who looks like jailbait.” Spike rolled his eyes and Rainbow hissed again. “Besides the fact that because I cook so well I got the ‘I feel like I can’t match up’ comment before.”

“That’s- Wait, you’ve dated before?”

Spike nodded and Rainbow groaned before flopping against the back of the couch. “Well…guessing it didn’t work out?”

“Out of ten? Seven lasted four dates, two stopped during the first and one girl said it was a dare.”

“Ouch.”

“Right?”

They looked at each other and chuckled, things were still a little awkward, but something about having everything out in the open made everything feel more…natural.

Rainbow Dash sat up and rubbed her eye a bit. “You know Moondancer thinks you’re cute.”

“I heard, two years ago.”

“Fuck, I keep doing that.” Rainbow groaned at herself.

“Don’t beat yourself up over it. Honestly? I’d rather we leave it under the bridge to drown.” Spike waved his hand in the air.

“But that sounds so fucked, like…I can’t just forget this.” Rainbow ruffled her hair as Spike shrugged.

“If I'm being honest? I didn’t even want this to come out. Before you say anything, I told myself a long time ago that not all relationships are made equal. It’s not the best but…I was ready for you guys to never treat me the way you do to each other, you guys have been through a lot together. And I wasn’t there. I was just ‘Twilight’s brother’ and never more than that. You don’t think about Sweetie Belle all the time right?”

“I…I guess?”

“It’s like that, sometimes different people have different values and treat people who they aren’t super close to somewhat indifferently, but they still treat them like friends when faced with them. It's not exactly like courtesy but it's something people do all the time.”

Rainbow just blinked.

“You’re like, super smart.”

“I studied social interaction and the mentality of ‘friendship’, apart from my mechanics studies and thesis.” Spike relaxed more, laughing at himself a bit.

“That’s why you fixed up my car right? Something about some paper or something?”

“Yeah, I was doing a study on engines, oils and natural substitutes. Didn’t get very far though, Twilight needed my help with a project and it just dropped off my radar. Still gonna turn it in during finals though, waste not want not and all that.”

Rainbow Dash nodded at that and gave Spike another look over, he looked better now. Smiling and laughing, she liked him like this.

“...should I talk to the others?” Rainbow’s face fell a bit when Spike flinched at the idea.

“...probably not. I don’t want to hurt Pinkie…”

“So…we just keep this between us?”

“...yeah?”

They stared at each other again.

She knew how he really felt and he knew she was sorry and legitimately, sincerely felt terrible about it.

The world was opened to them now, there wasn’t much between them now besides air and silence.

Rainbow shuffled a little and wiggled her toes underneath her socks, pursing her lips as she thought of what to say next, when she just suddenly thought ‘Fuck it’.

“Hey Spike?”

Spike blinked quickly, not sure who would speak first but thankful she did. “Yeah?”

“I barely know shit about you.”

He wasn’t sure where she was going.

“But I know you’re cool, you’re funny, cute, a hell of a cook, I can relax around you and shit like that you know?” She looked away from him for a moment but saw him nod in the corner of her eye. “We don’t really hang out much, but I wanna change that. But the more I think about it, I don’t know enough to know where to begin. I know you like cars and you’re into sports, I still remember the off season.” She chuckled at the memory of her, Applejack, Granny Smith, Big Mac and Spike all yelling at a television screen while the other girls all tried to cover their ears.

“When I think about it, I really like the idea, hanging out with you. Getting to know you and stuff. Just chilling and talking about things. But not because I feel terrible- Because I fuckin do.” She saw Spike rub the back of his neck and smiled to turn her head to him. “I want to do it because I realized something, Spike is cool.”

Spike blinked and blushed a little at the praise. “Jeez um…thanks RD.”

“So we should go out.”

And she lost him. “Huh?”

“Okay check it." She turned her body to him, her legs rest on the couch. "I wanna get to know you, right?”

Spike followed along and turned his body so he was facing her. “Right.”

“I wanna hang out with you way more now and do stuff with you, right?”

“I guess?”

“I think you’re cute, funny and cool.”

“Thanks?”

“But I don’t know what the fuck to do, because I feel like dogshit but don’t want to come off like I’m doing this because of that.”

“...so your solution is to pity date me?”

“No! To date date you, It’s not out of pity, any girl that could snag you is fuckin’ lucky man. Not every dude can look at someone who’s dismissed them for like ten years and still care about them enough to do all the stuff you’ve done for us. That's awesome and…well…you deserve to be appreciated.”

Spike blushed as Rainbow scooted a little closer.

“It’s not out of pity. You’re a cool guy. One of the best I know the more I think about it. It's like…all the things I’d taken for granted about you are all coming back to me and telling me ‘Hey, Spike is a total 10, date him before you regret it’ and you know I follow my gut feelings.”

Spike nodded at that before sitting up straight and uncurling his tail from around himself. “So…you really want to date me?”

“I at least want to give it a shot? I mean I went out with AJ, we broke up but we’re still cool.” Rainbow smiled hopefully and scooted closer. “So?”

Spike stared at her, a long hard inquisitive look, studying her in every way he could, it's not like the thought hadn’t crossed his mind. Dating Rainbow wasn’t a terrible idea, it was just the timing that made him skeptical.

“...can you promise me something Rainbow?”

“Okay.” Rainbow agreed without missing a beat.

“But you don’t even-”

“You’re worth it Spike.” Rainbow smiled, softer and kinder than he’d ever seen before. “No matter what you ask of me I can do it. I really do think you’re cool and…I want to give this a proper try.”

Spike blinked and smiled. “I was going to ask you to promise me that you really mean this but…sure…let’s give us a try.”

Rainbow brightened up and blushed as she rubbed the back of her neck, Spike suddenly thought she was cute.

“So…wanna kiss?”

Spike’s face flushed and he backed into the couch’s arm. “W-wh-what!?”

“Come on, don’t be a prude dude.” Rainbow’s flushed face pouted slightly. “It’s just a kiss man, you’ve kissed before, you’ve had to.”

Spike blinked and slowly nodded.

“See? It’s not a big deal man.”

Spike slowly sat back down and gave the idea some thought. “Don’t you think that’s a bit fast?”

Rainbow Dash crossed her arms and her brow raised in a look that made Spike feel dumb for asking that question.

“Right, fourteen years and I still forget this is Rainbow Crash I’m talking to.”

“Hey! Watch it buster! Just because you’re my boyfriend now doesn’t mean I won’t pound you.”

“Not even a single date and you’re jumping to pounding me? For shame Rainbow.”

The track star blushed hard and Spike laughed out loud at that, but instead of getting mad Rainbow Dash just got closer to him. Spike’s laughter died as her weight shifted the couch and he turned to see her coming closer. The two locked eyes, Rainbow’s brilliant cersire orbs bore into him, she was really going to do it. He opened and closed his mouth as she got closer, but he gave it some hard thought for a moment. Kissing Rainbow wouldn’t be too bad…

Spike’s anxiety fell away as he leaned in, Rainbow blushing more as he did so, she was way more nervous about this for some reason. Their eyes began to close as they got closer, each other’s breath on the other’s lips, Spike’s was hot, but not uncomfortable, something about the thought of his warm lips made Rainbow close the distance without thinking.

It was happening.

And as soon as it started Rainbow pulled back for a moment.

“...spicy…”

Spike flushed deeply, his dark skin becoming at least five shades darker.

Rainbow Dash kissed him again and Spike’s eyes went wide for a moment, before he fell into the strangely electrifying embrace, her lips were interestingly sweet he noted. It was a rather chaste kiss, no sucking face or deliberate making out, just their lips held together in something meaningful and slow. Spike's heart attempted to beat out of his chest, the loud thumping making Rainbow's heart beat in a strange rhythmic dance. A spark flew between them, something that hadn't existed before flashing into life. This calm union, this strange but oddly enticing thing that held their hearts together during this time. It could build into something greater or flicker out in a puff of smoke, but for the time being, they just wanted to be together.

Time lost its meaning to them as Rainbow’s hand came up to cup Spike’s cheek, her tanned fingers brushing against his warm skin. Spike’s hands came up to her waist, lightly holding her hips as the tender kiss continued for what felt like hours. Rainbow gave a wiggle of her hips when she felt Spike's hands land there, her new partner giving her a little squeeze, sending a happy jolt through her.

They pulled back finally, and looked into each other's eyes.

“...wow.” Rainbow breathed out slowly.

“...yeah…” Spike blinked but didn’t move his hands.

They looked at each other for a moment and something about it all made them laugh. Rainbow leaned her head against Spike’s and his draconic tail wrapped around her leg.

The athlete giggled and traced Spike’s jaw with her thumb. “It’s like kissing a breath mint.”

“Well I’m making out with pop rocks.” Spike lightly squeezed her hips in a caring gesture.

They laughed again.

Minutes passed before they stopped and looked at each other again, they didn’t speak, they just closed the distance between them again.

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to deepen the kiss and Spike didn’t seem to mind as he returned the gesture. The kiss is deeper, just a bit heavier, but that’s as far as it seems to go as the two of them continue their embrace, a passionately slow time where the fresh couple found their peace in one another. She claimed Spike's lips was spicy, but the deeper the kiss went the more his natural warmth and strangely cool lips made her spine tingle. Spike found Rainbow to be, in a word, sweet, her lips and motions were loving and caring, her lips, although they sent tiny jolts of electricity through his body, were like dangerously addictive honey.

The more they kissed, the more the two of them fought to keep their hands busy. Rainbow’s other hand came up to his face as she kisses him more, her other hand continuing to hold and caress his cheek. Spike’s tail wrapped further around her leg and his nails slightly drag against the fabric of her clothes. Rainbow enjoyed the pressure and shivered slightly at his touch. The only sound that seemed to flow through the quaint house were the light noises the both of them made during their time together. Rainbow’s own soft hums into the kiss meeting the light purring coming from the young man beneath her.

Unfortunately, Spike’s phone went off.

Spike’s eyes fluttered as he took back his lips, leaving Rainbow just a little upset. “Just gimme a sec.” He grabbed his phone and flipped it on. “Ah…Twi’s calling, she’s probably at the airport.”

He quickly answered the call and put it to his ear. “Twi?”

“Hi Spike! I just got to the airport, and I’m about to board so I won’t be able to check up on you two or anything. Now I know that you don't like the arrangements but I hope you try and get along well while I’m gone.”

Spike looked at Rainbow Dash, who was currently laying her head on his chest, seemingly surprised by the toned nature of his body. “We should be good.”

Rainbow looked up and smirked. “More than good.”

Twilight on the other end piped up. “Is that Dash?”

Rainbow was about to swipe the phone but looked at Spike, a question in her eyes. He just smiled and handed it to her. “Sup Twi?”

“He hasn’t given you any trouble has he?”

“It's been like…a few hours?” She lowered the phone and looked at Spike, neither of them knew how long they’d been making out. “Uh…but no we’re good. Give him some credit, egghead, he’s quite the guy you know.” Rainbow gave him a look and Spike blushed.

“I know, but I can’t help but worry. Just take care of him okay?”

“I’ll do more than that.” Rainbow cooed at Spike and the dravyern boy let out a mix of a purr and scared hum.

“What was that?”

“Nothing Twi, go ahead and do your thing, see you.” Before Twilight could respond she hung up and put the phone down on the floor. “So, are we going to keep kissing?”

“I-I mean…I’d love to, but we kinda need to eat and stuff.” His phone went off again but they both ignored it.

“The food can wait…” Rainbow scooted closer.

“...it can, can’t it?” Spike stole her lips and Rainbow let out a delighted hum at the spicy embrace.

Maybe these next two weeks would be better than either dared hope?

Author's Note:

New story who dis?
For real though, it's a fun to write something focused on two people for once.

So I don't want to start the 'Oh no, all of the girls are horrible' train, that really wasn't the point. It happens, some people just kinda forget the people in their lives, that doesn't make them terrible and I hope no one thinks I'm trying to paint them like bad guys.

Hope y'all enjoy this bad boy though, should be too long all things hoping.