• Published 15th Dec 2019
  • 492 Views, 3 Comments

Through the Mirror - Frysa



Twilight chases a mysterious unicorn through a magic mirror and finds herself in an entirely different world.

  • ...
 3
 492

Harmonics

"Yeah, that's my name. Do I know you?" The pegasus was wearing a pale blue-gray cloak, the hood down. Pinning the cloak together was a small clasp with her cutie mark on it. Cinched around her waist were multiple satchels. She had more feathers than Twilight remembered, with long birdlike tail feathers sitting utop her normal pony tail. She was way smaller than her Rainbow, but seemed to be built for speed. "I feel like I've seen you before..." She peered harder at Twilight. "Oh, right! You were at the Crystal Empire! But..." she turned to Celestia. "You said we were never to try and meet her..." Her magenta gaze once again upon Twilight, then she suddenly jumped back. "Whoa! You didn't have wings before!"

"This is an exception, Commander Dash. A very strange exception," Celestia explained. "Now, Twilight, please inform Commander Dash of our search for Sunset Shimmer."

"Whoa, whoa whoa. With all due respect, Your Majesty, I require more information than what you're giving me! You've barely said anything to me the whole flight here!" The little pegasus hovered near the queen's head to look her in the eye.

"This information is given out on a need-to-know basis, Dash," Celestia somehow raised herself even taller, staring down the rainbow-maned pony. "Do not push my tolerance."

"At least let the other harmonics know! They can help!" Rainbow Dash backed off a little. "If this is as high-stakes as you say it is, we need-" she was cut off by the tall white alicorn.

"Do not contact the other harmonics under any circumstances! I went to you because you've been loyal to my causes thus far, and I trust you to make the right decisions. If I find you have breached this trust, there will be consequences," Celestia turned to Twilight. "Twilight Sparkle, Commander Dash is the head of our spy network, and an exceptional fighter. Employ her help as you see fit to find Sunset Shimmer and retrieve your element. Now, if you'll excuse me." Celestia turned and left the library, the scent of summer lingering behind.

"Geez. Hard to believe she was ever any different," Rainbow Dash huffed.

"Different? How?" Twilight asked.

"Now, this was before my time, but according to some of the senior members of the guard, Celestia used to be a lot more peaceful and kind before the Nightmare Moon incident," Rainbow explained. "Most think that Daybreaker left an impression on her, and that she's just waiting to spring out and take Celestia over. Pretty scary thought, huh?" the pegasus turned to Twilight. "Let's get you a innoticability cloak."

"A what? In-notice-ability?" Twilight said, cocking her head.

"It's pretty cool. Check this out!" Rainbow pulled up her cloak's hood and slipped the mask over her muzzle. As soon as she did so, Twilight's eyes lost focus on her and began wandering the room. "Neat, huh?" the pegasus' voice called Twilight back to attention. She tried to pay attention to her, but it sent a funny feeling up her spine. Rainbow lowered her hood, and suddenly Twilight could focus on her again.

"What was that? How does it work?" Twilight's curiosity was instantly piqued.

"An innoticability field. It makes it so you blend into the background, sorta. Unless you bring too much attention to yourself, or if you know what to look for. Very illegal, outside the government at least. I dunno how it works, probably some magic mumbo-jumbo," Rainbow grinned with pride.

"Wouldn't an invisibility spell be easier?" Twilight mused. "Less chance of getting caught."

"Look, mare. If you can find someone to cast an invisibility spell, and then bind it to a piece of clothing with ease, you better let me know, because that would be AWESOME!" The pegasus began to hover in the air. "Now c'mon, let's get you one of these bad boys."

"Do I get one too?" came a voice from behind them. Rainbow jumped and spun around, a dagger already hanging off her hoof. "Ah!" called out Spike, spooked by the blade. "Put that away before you hurt someone!"

Rainbow didn't back down. "What is a dragon doing in the Canterlot archives?"

"Sorry! Sorry, he's with me," Twilight laughed nervously. "He's my assistant."

Some of Rainbow Dash's hostility

"Alright, so, I know I'm not supposed to ask questions, but what's with the wings? I know it's been about a year since I last saw you, but I'm pretty sure I'd know if there was a new alicorn in Equestria."

Twilight pondered for a moment. I mean, she deserves to know. Even if she doesn't know it, she's still supposed to be one of my best friends! She felt a tugging at her wings. She looked down to see Spike, who shook his head. "I'm sorry, I can't tell you. At least, I need to meet some other ponies first. Do you know Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, or Pinkie Pie?"

A shock went through Rainbow Dash's body. "How do you know those names?"

"Are- are they not my friends?" A twang of hurt went through her chest.

"It's just- I mean, I guess it's relevant-" the pegasus appeared to be struggling with herself. "We can't see them, though. Sorry, queen's orders."

The lines began to connect in Twilight's mind. "Oh! They're the Harmonics you mentioned earlier!" from Dash's guilty expression, she inferred she was correct. "Harmonics... could they be related to the elements of harmony here too?"

Dash groaned. "Dang, how do you know all of these state secrets? It took me years to get to that level! I mean, I guess you're royalty, but you seem super clueless too. You're so weird,"

"I promise, I'll explain eventually. But I need those ponies by my side if we're going to defeat Sunset Shimmer." Twilight hoped her imposing tone of voice would sway Dash's opinion.

"...Let's just do this the queen's way for now. If we want someone who has eyes all over the city, the only pony you need is me."

Author's Note:

Sorry for not updating in over a year, my hyperfixation died down. But I'm back!

Comments ( 2 )

Do any of the Equestria Girls-only characters appear in this story?

10654670
they could, but I don't have any specific plans at the moment. thanks for the idea though!

Login or register to comment