• Published 11th Aug 2019
  • 1,226 Views, 58 Comments

Unconventional Conclusions - FanOfMostEverything

  • ...
2
 58
 1,226

Dressed to Progress

Twilight fidgeted with her glasses and smiled. "It's funny. For the longest time, I told myself and others, 'I'll never get into cosplay. I don't have the confidence.' And yet here I am, in wig and lab coat." She did a little twirl to show off the glowing syringes that tied together her tribute to the protagonist of H. P. Terror's "Re-Vivifier." "I suppose part of it is that this isn't exactly the most elaborate costume in the world. Being able to slip into a bathroom and Canter Clerk my way into or out of plainclothes does wonders for me. The little voice in my head that says 'They're all looking at you!' loses its impact when the only time it's true is when they're supposed to be looking. It's actually the same reason I never joined the Girl Scouts. Even I thought the uniform was dorky, and wearing it to school? No thank you." She spread out her arms. "But here? Now? I'm surrounded by other, more elaborate outfits. Compared to them, this barely even qualifies as a Samhain costume.

"It's kind of ridiculous, isn't it? I've gone straight from dreading the embarrassment of being seen in cosplay to the shame of not trying hard enough. My brain just can't let me win sometimes."

She took a deep breath and nodded. "But yeah, thus far, thoroughly positive experience. It's still early and we'll see how I feel once people actually, you know, show up, but I'm feeling optimistic."

"Wonderful to hear, darling," said Rarity, adorned in a great deal of elaborately curving latex that held on to her form through a mix of double-sided tape and hope. She patted Twilight on the cheek, producing a number of squeaks from her outfit and a few from other early arrivals to the convention. "We'll make a regular of you yet."

Author's Note:

This began as me sorting out my thoughts on paper the day I cosplayed as Sci-Twi, which was indeed my first foray into the experience. Adjust a few names and gender specifics, and we have art imitating life.

And yeah, it did go well, aside from my anxiety's honestly hilarious track switch from "You can't do this" to "You're not doing this well enough."