• Published 12th Jul 2019
  • 7,376 Views, 507 Comments

An Establishment Of Exclusivity - Snakeskin Ducttape



A new venue is opened up in Equestria, former humans only.

  • ...
9
 507
 7,376

The Doors Open For The Night

In the heart of Equestria lay the golden capital city of Canterlot– the seat of political, economical, and magical power in the land, and the cultural binding point for ponykind.

It had been said that ponies react to the unknown with fear and suspicion, and while that may certainly be true in some cases, it is not an entirely justified observation. For one thing, ponykind’s friends, like the gryphons, reacts much the same to the unknown, and for another, the unknown is often met with curiosity. In this sense, the cultured is much like the scientist: observing, exploring, prodding, and reverse-engineering.

Unlike the scientist, many of the “cultured” want to openly advertise that they have spent substantial resources on their endeavors, with expensive silken clothes, jewels, and extravagant manestyles being prominent in some strata of pony society, and the more one looks into certain cultures within the pony culture – “subcultures” if one wills – will find more and more outlandish and less and less sensible values and expressions.

Sometimes, pony society as a whole are influenced by these subcultures. For example, it is widely believed that eating the meat of fish that have been roasted over fires started as a sign of recognition among the wealthy and influential to the gryphons in the early days of relations between the two peoples, and remains a common practice among some strata of pony society to this day.

The almost inevitable fate of a lasting subculture is acceptance, and gentrification. This is because a subculture offers something that the cultural elite is in desperate need of, and consumes like locusts, and that is exclusivity.

What makes the cultural elite is their exclusivity. If anypony could take part in their ways, they wouldn’t be the cultural elite. Like the consumption of fish, it was something practiced exclusively by one group, gryphons, then adopted by the cultural elite of pony society, and used to distinguish themselves by those they consider lesser.

From this, one thing is clear, it is not up to the subculture whether it will be accepted and gentrified. It is up to the acceptors and gentrifiers…

… Most of the time.

And when it’s not, when the subculture resist its absorption into the wider culture, a fascinating phenomena can take place, because the cultural elite are a lot like pouty children. When they want something they can’t have, the desire for this something grows, and when a subculture bars its gates thoroughly enough, a cultural obsession can grow.

There were newcomers on the Canterlot cultural scene. Newcomers which for quite some time had gone largely unnoticed, so perhaps not so much on the scene as in the wings, and not waiting in the wings to emerge on the stage, but being happy with their place.

Many ponies would describe them as insular, recondite, even abstruse.

As a whole they weren’t particularly interested in mainstream pony culture. They were not opposed to it, but they often saw the arts of ponies as quaint, and little else.

They were often recognised by their clothes and subtle mannerisms. They were walking, talking paradoxes, comfortable in the uncomfortable, sensible in their quirkiness, and relentlessly, almost obsessively, pursued that which afforded them more leisure.

One couldn’t identify them from their disposition in other areas though, except possibly for their affinity for the sciences, (except the magical ones, curiously enough) engineering, mechanics, and mathematics, which, beside their love for efficiency, seemed largely unrelated to their way of life.

And if somepony were to ask them about them and their way of life, they’d perhaps in good humor describe it as “bohemian”, a word which meant nothing to anypony besides themselves.

Others would describe them as innovative, clever, witty, and “prepared, in a general sense”.

It was not uncommon for there to be a streak of grumpiness among their members about their lot in life, but little that spoke of deep unhappiness.

Others were very friendly and charming to the ponies around them, often displaying a sort of alluring aloofness and pondus.

Another thing that was often found intriguing about them, and their culture, was the utter lack of barriers between the species, even less between pony tribes. They were ponies, including crystal ponies, thestrals, and the occasional zebra, but also a few gryphons, and couple of diamond dogs and even dragons.

Despite this diversity however, they all seemed to have agreed that one place in Canterlot was their sanctuary, and theirs alone.

It was an establishment a little bit away from the main streets and avenues of nightlife and entertainment in Canterlot. It had originally been a smaller venue, as well as an empty apartment, a recently closed barber salon, and a corner store which was vacated for sanitary reasons.

The walls between these had been removed or had doors put into them, the now large space had been restored and reinforced, bars and stages had been set up, and permission to host a large crowd had been attained, rumored to be expedited by the crowns

And then it had opened. There had been no advertisements or posters around town, nopony actively spreading knowledge to the general populace, yet there was a crowd ready to go on the first day.

One with access to the books would not be all that surprised about this, seeing as almost all of the ponies and other creatures either helped restore the place, or channeled funds into the project. However, knowing this alone would just inform one of a greater mystery: All of the creatures involved had very little in their background papers. Very few had any relatives, there were no birth certificates, no medical records, no papers of any kind, even ones telling of any education. To be fair, though, they were clearly educated.

There was nothing but a bulk of citizen papers, seemingly stamped with approval in the same afternoon. In fact, if one arranged the papers in order of approval, one could see where the official needed to change ink on the stamp, as well as the renewed vigor they had gained after coming back from lunch.

So a new crowd of ponies and other creatures had appeared in Equestria, with no papers or proof of education, but with a wide array of skills, and had funded the opening of a grand establishment just off the side of Canterlot’s main streets. Outside of the premises was a bouncer.

“So, is it, like, forbidden to go native if you’re gonna be a guest here?” the petite unicorn mare asked the large earth stallion beside her. Her coat was light purple, and her mane deep red.

“Not at all,” he answered. “We just want a place to call our own, and it can’t be our own if everyone else is going to come here and impose their values and take our culture out into theirs.”

The mare considered this as she observed the buzzing crowd waiting in line for the place to open for the evening, feeling a little exposed as she stood next to the bouncer.

“I’ve… always thought integration was a good thing.”

“That’s to prevent friction between cultures,” the stallion said. “Besides, consider culture like physical things. You can give things, and you can receive things, but forcing it either way is either theft or… whatever it’s called when you force someone to take something of yours. I’m pretty sure that’s illegal. If you encourage the exchange of gifts, great, but you can’t force anyone.”

“And you don’t think we should get to the gift-giving stage?” the mare challenged, academically.

“Perhaps some day, but look at them,” the stallion said, pointing at the crowd. “You can see which ones aren’t going to get in, right?”

“The ones showing their butts,” the mare said, nodding, and referring to the number of ponies in the line with no articles of clothing on their lower halves.

“A lot of them have wised up, but they’re not great at pulling it off. Anyway, the ones without pants, notice how they’re rich?”

“... Yes,” she said, noting that they were indeed dressed up in expensive clothes, sans bottoms, and jewelry, as well as having pompadour mane styles and haughty expressions.

“Look at them,” the stallion said. “Do they look like they’re here to enjoy culture, or like they want to see trained chimps caper for their amusement?”

“Well… maybe the upper strata of pony society requires you to put on that attitude,” the mare suggested, unconvinced.

“I’ll bet,” the stallion said, nodding in agreement. “But then it’s only fair if we say that our strata requires you to drop that shit.”

The doors behind the two ponies opened, and another stallion poked his head out. “Hey, Spence, we’re ready in here, you can open the door whenever. Oh, hey Sandra, you here tonight?”

“Yup, keeping Spencer company,” Sandra said.

“Cool,” the other stallion said, smiling slightly at the two of them. “Give em hell, Spence.”

“In the most gentle of manners,” Spencer said, and gave a lazy salute.

“Alright listen up, toys and hurls!” Spencer said loudly, gaining the attention of the waiting crowd. “You know the rules! Approach the entrance in an orderly line, and wait for me to confirm whether you are of the right material to gain entrance to this here establishment. Don’t worry, if you are, you will gain access. If you’re not, remember that this is private property, and trying to gain entrance anyway is very much a crime.” Spencer pulled away the velvet rope in front of him, though the mare at the front politely remained where she was.

Spencer considered her for a moment, and the way she had been gently tapping her hoof and bobbing her head as she tried discerning the final soundchecks from inside the club.

“... Do you wanna get rocked?” Spencer asked, with a certain cadence and attitude.

“Let’s get… let’s get…” the mare answered, head starting to bang slightly. Spencer grinned and invitingly held out his foreleg towards the door, and the mare entered, still starting up the song. “Let’s get… let’s get…”

Next up was a stallion Spencer recognised, and knew the tastes of. “Same category as last time?” he asked, and the stallion nodded, a lot more comfortable than the first few times he had come here. “Alright, I need a power converter. Where do I go?”

“Uhm… Toshi Station?”

“Ding,” Spencer said, and let him in, revealing the next stallion, a very tired-looking one.

“Uhm… same category,” he said.

“Alright,” Spencer said, thinking for a fraction of a second. “... You look asleep.”

“Hmm,” the stallion said, putting his hoof to his chin. “Well don’t worry, the sleeper will awaken.”

“Welcome,” Spencer said, smiling.

“You’re really good at this,” Sandra noted.

“Thanks. Maybe it’s that whole special talent business, but I don’t know what it means,” Spencer said, looking back at his flank, adorned with the cutie mark of a boot and a pair of sunglasses. When he saw the next pony in line, he whispered out of the corner of his mouth to Sandra. “Heads up.”

It was a pony, as in a pony born and raised in Equestria. Now, the creatures allowed into the establishment didn’t mind ponies in general; they had been very welcoming and supportive of the newcomers down on their luck, even though they didn’t know that they were assisting a group. They were also simply kind and pleasant on the whole.

Of course there were always exceptions, and the expression and demeanor of this one told Spencer that she wouldn’t be welcome here. She did wear a skirt, in accordance with the unspoken dress code, but it was absolutely garish for the establishment’s intended clients, adorned with gems and frills for days.

Still, there was no reason not to follow routine.

Spencer held up a hoof. “Sorry, ma’am, but we’re going to have to undergo a screening in order to establish you as the intended clientele.”

The mare seemed to inflate for a second, a look on her muzzle as if she had smelled something offensive, before her expression became confident and dismissive. “Very well,” she said, pointing her nose up in the air and closing her eyes as she waved a hoof. “Ask me your questions, though rest assured that I am of a pedigree so prestigious that the princesses themselves invite me for tea regularly. What does this entail?”

“I simply ask you a question or two about culture, the knowledge of which determines if you’re allowed on the premises.”

“Oh, ahahahaaa, culture!” the mare said, laughing in a very controlled manner. “Yes indeed, ask your questions.”


“I’ll ask some some of the classiest stuff I know about then,” Spencer said. “Much Ado About Nothing is widely considered to be the first what?”

“What?”

Spencer shook his head, not showing any emotions. “Sorry, ma’am, but I’m afraid I can’t let you in here.”

“What!? This is an outrage!” the mare shouted.

“Noted,” Spencer said, as he noticed a stallion and a mare he recognized behind the noblemare, and smiled at them. “Word, Riggs.”

“Word, Rog,” the stallion said, smiling back as he went past the velvet ropes and into the building.

“And you,” Spencer said to the mare, still smiling.

“Aah, go spit, Riggs,” she said, also smiling as she followed the stallion indoors.

The noblemare looked after the two… ponies, with a stunned expression as they vanished into the establishment.

The absolute humiliation was beyond words. They were common ponies… at least in a sense. They didn’t dress very “common” though, what with their plain, rough looking pants with strangely placed pockets and the stallion’s plaid shirt and the mare’s… tank top, she believed it was called.

Still, they were common as they were clearly of a lower class, perhaps the lowest class, it was hard to tell sometimes, and they were allowed into this new and very exclusive establishment, while she, somehow, was not.

There was something strange and wrong here, and there was only one valid approach.

“I demand to speak with the manager!” she shouted. “She will have you fired for this.”

“He’s rather busy right now, though he does read letter addressed to him,” Spencer said, keeping his expression neutral.

“That is unacceptable! I demand to be let into this establishment, where I will talk with the owner.”

“I’m a partner, which means that that’s me,” Spencer said, indeed being a partner along with Francis and Lloyd. “If you have complaints, you can take them up with me, but right now, I’m busy doing my job. Excuse me.”

The mare stood absolutely still for a few moments, before turning her nose up in the air and walking off as fast and angry as she could while looking dignified.

Spencer looked after her for a few moments with an uncomfortable expression.

“What’s wrong?” Sandra asked. “Think she’ll be trouble?”

“She might be,” Spencer said. “And... well, she’s not the type we want in here, but still, I’ll give her fifteen more seconds before she starts crying.”

“It wasn’t that bad,” Sandra gently protested.

“Ponies are kinda delicate,” Spencer said. “Anyway, next up.”

“Uh, hey,” a stallion said, stepping up. “I’ll pick… science fiction.”

“Right-o,” Spencer said, getting his professional stoicism back and speaking in a deep, confident, and a little smoky voice. “Make it so, Number One, and…”

“Uh,” the stallion said, before catching on and matching the tone. “Engage.”

“Welcome,” Spencer said, and turned to the mare who had been following the exchange with an eager expression.

“Khaaaan!” she mock-yelled.

“Welcome to you too,” Spencer said, as the mare stepped inside.

By now, the sound of the soundchecks and warming up of instruments had been vaguely perceptible for a while, as the musicians inside prepared to play their music, classic songs, beloved by all, but which had never been heard on Equestria before recently.

The next pony in line was a golden eyed unicorn who had pressed her ear against the blacked out window, trying to catch what was being played inside, her tongue sticking out of her mouth in concentration.

“Oh!” she exclaimed, and stepped away from the window, trying to remember what she had heard from the previous patrons gaining entrance. “Oh, uhm, let’s see… uh, nooooo!” she said, in a dramatic tone.

Spencer shook his head. “Sorry, Lyra.”

Lyra’s ears fell, and she looked at Spencer with sad eyes. “But it’s from that… that movie, with the… the sword fight… and they’re flying, and one of them is… is…”

“Please don’t make this any more difficult, Lyra,” Spencer said.

“Oh please! Why can’t I go in!? I neeeeed it!”

“Perhaps one day, but not now.”

Lyra looked on in silence for a few seconds, before she walked off, head hanging.

“I kinda wanted her to get in,” Sandra noted.

“Same here, but her special talent is music. Every song she hears she’ll play to other ponies and spread them to every corner of Equestria, and then they won’t be our culture anymore, something that reminds us of our home, they’ll just be more pop-songs, on their way out to make room for others.”

“It’s kind of amazing that we have so many that can play and sing them though.”

“Kinda,” Spencer nodded. “Although look at the number of flanks with instruments or other musical marks on them. I wouldn’t be surprised of a quarter of everyone who ended up here is a musician now.”

Next, a dragon walked up to the entrance. It was almost a given that she was a former human, considering how few dragons there were in Canterlot.

“Something dragon related?” Spencer asked.

“Uh… sure,” the dragoness said. “I can’t really do an impression of… what’s his face…? Humberto Cabbagepatch.”

“Benedict Cumberbatch,” Sandra helpfully supplied.

“Yeah, him.”

“Actually, that’ll do,” Spencer said. “Welcome.”

“Thanks,” the dragoness said, and walked in, accidentally puffing some smoke through her nostrils.

Next, a gryphon walked up, and pointed after the disappearing dragoness. “That magic dragon… puffed.”

Spencer held back an amused snort, and gestured for the tercel to enter.

“Things are going really smoothly,” Sandra said.

“Not to brag, but this is normal,” Spencer noted.

“Well anyway, I should get in.”

“Go ahead, your previous note is still valid.”

“Thanks. Will I see you in there later?”

“Sure, someone else will be covering for me. Where will you be?”

“The west bar,” Sandra said, and rolled her eyes. “The Boris Yeltsin.”

Spencer smiled. “That name was my idea. I actually wanted to call the whole club that.”

“I’m sure,” Sandra said, and walked in.

Further back in the quene, two mares, a unicorn and a pegasus, waited, unclothed.

They had reared up and supported each other to take a look at the proceedings with the bouncer in the distance, and looked at each other with uncertain looks.

“This… might be more tricky than I had anticipated,” the pegasus said.

“With how much you helped expedite the opening of this establishment, dear sister, I feel it would be only fair for you, us, to gain entrance when we wish it.”

Celestia smiled ruefully at her disguised sister, and leaned in so that everypony around wouldn’t overhear them.

“That wasn’t part of the deal. Besides, they would have done it soon either way. Helping them along cost nothing and gained us some good will.”

“Not enough to gain the least bit of preferential treatment, even for a single occasion.”

“Why Luna, I thought you appreciated a challenge.”

Luna grumbled, and left the line with her sister. “Let us go. One must pick their battles.”

Spencer watched the two ponies leave with a small smirk. “Or as we humans say,” he said to himself, “discretion is the better part of valor.”

“Was that them?” Lloyd asked, poking his head out through the door.

“Yep,” Spencer confirmed, and turned to Lloyd. “By the way, did you know that her student, Twilight Sparkle, can teleport?”

Lloyd’s eyes widened, and stared at Spencer. “Really?” he asked, further intrigued and unnerved by the things he learned of this world.

“Yep, and apparently she’s crazy about learning pretty much everything, so we gotta figure out a way to identify her before she goes all kwisatz haderach on yo flank.”

Author's Note:

Thanks to RP422 and ROBCakeran53 for their help with this chapter.