• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 1,079 Views, 178 Comments

What if Mavis was a: - darkmage1997



A few short stories about Mavis being something other than a Mermaid/Gorgon.

  • ...
 178
 1,079

Yuuki Onna / Snow Woman (Part 4)

Time went on as Mavis continued to adjust to life in Equestria. Because of her power, she causes alot of frost and snow to form when she sleeps, which is why Cadence and Shining Armor opted to have Raiden and Francisco to alter her bedroom so that it keeps the cold inside, to keep her and her Ice Type Pokemon cold, as well as a smaller area in the room, just for Togepi to keep warm. She somehow tapped into the power to encase others in ice, albeit by accident, when she got startled, and accidently encased Nathan in a block of ice. Thankfully, there was plenty of hot water and salt to get him out of it. Mavis felt really bad about doing that, but became grateful to gaining that ability, when the former king of the Crystal Empire, King Sombra, came and kidnapped her as a bargaining chip in exchange for the throne. However, Mavis tapped into her icy powers, and froze everything in the room Sombra was holding her in, including Sombra himself. This allowed Mavis to escape, but fell into a river, which floated her all the way to the Nymph Grotto, where she was recieving training from the Nymphs.

"Ok Mavis, that should just about do it with your Earthen Training," Wanda said, as she stood by her student, who was just finishing up moving several large boulders with magic.

"That was tough," Mavis panted.

"Well, for now, you can continue your training with Yuki," Wanda said, as a vortex opened up, "She's waiting for you on the other side."

"Merci," Mavis said, as she walked through the portal, and found herself in the middle of a snowy tundra, "Ah, this feels so nice!" she exclaimed, rolling around in the snow.

"Seems like you enjoy colder climates, right?" Yuki asked, as she suddenly appeared.

"Oui, though where I used to live, finding places to stay cold was rather difficult," Mavis replied.

"What do you mean?" Yuki asked, placing Mavis on her lap, which let her large breasts to rest on top of the younger girl's head. Mavis blushed, but liked the feeling of it.

"W-well, in the Yokai Village where I lived with mon parents, we lived cooler district, but more often than not, some Oni would stumble into our section of the Village after doing what Papa would call 'binge drinking', I think is what it's called, spewing flames everywhere, and making things unbearably warm," Mavis replied.

"Sounds rough. Then again, we have a sister in the Western Nymph Grotto who just loves drinking her own wine by the barrel full. Her alcohol tolerance is fairly consistent, as she often gets drunk after a few glasses of wine, before switching to barrels," Yuki explained.

"I suppose everywhere has some kind of drunken people," Mavis commented.

"I guess so. But for now, let's continue your training. Now, I get that you're a Snow Spirit, but tell me how much you know about ice and snow," Yuki requested.

"Well, for those with poor tolerance, it causes them to shiver a lot," Mavis replied.

"That's true, but there can be a lot done to actually help preserve someone's heat," Yuki replied. Mavis was confused.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"For the first part of our training session, we're going to build something called an 'igloo'. Some humans from ancient times would build this dome shaped huts in snowy climates, such as the land surrounding the Crystal Empire for shelt. The compaction of the snow bricks help to trap heat inside, and keep blustering blizzards out," Yuki explained, as she used her majic to conjur up an igloo, "Care to go in, and see?" Yuki asked, as she crawled in. Mavis crawled in after her teacher. She then entered the space in the middle of the igloo, which was a little cramped, but it was comfortable enough, "You see what i mean, right? In here, those who require warmer temperatures to survive are able to use these little huts to trap heat inside," Yuki explained.

"Sounds good, but...." Mavis' face began to flush, "It's a little too stuffy for me."

"Oh dear," Yuki said, using her magic to deconstruct the igloo, allowing Mavis to feel the cold, "Just remember Mavis, in order to properly trap the heat for warmer bodied individuals, you need to make the space as small, yet movable as possible. Let's give it a try. Use your powers to construct an ingloo like how i did," Yuki said. Mavis then used her control of ice and snow to build an igloo, but her first attempt was a little bigger. Yuki went in to inspect it, "Hmm, a bit bigger than mine, which means not a lot of heat will get trapped, but otherwise, not bad for your first try," Yuki said.

"I see," Mavis said.

"Well, let's try again, but this time, try making it a little smaller," Yuki said. Mavis once again used her powers to form a slightly smaller igloo, "Good, now let's see what it's like inside," Yuki said, as she went to crawl inside. But as she was crawling in, she got stuck in the entrance, as her hips were too wide to fit through, "Hmm, looks like a fairly spaceous igloo on the inside, but you may want to think about making the entrance a bit bigger.

"Ok," Mavis quietly said.

"Don't worry. We'll keep training until you've built a good igloo," Yuki said, as they continued training.


A few more months have passed, and Mavis was more accustomed to Equestrian culture, and it was time for the Hearths Warming Holiday Season. Since it was getting colder outside, Mavis was able to move around outside as much as she wanted without worrying about overheating. When it came time for the Hearth's Warming Ball, Mavis was gifted a beautiful kimono, curtousey of some of the Alicorn's Wish Guild Members. Things were going smoothly at the ball, with the arrival of her Masters, their sisters from the Southern Nymph Grotto, up until the group of self-righteous monks came, and attacked the party, taking Mavis as their main hostage, as well as the rest of the children. The Guild Members at the ROyal Guard did their best to stop them, but the Dark Magic they recieved from King Sombra was able to easily overpower them. Now, the kids were trapped inside cages in the middle of a bamboo forest, quite a ways away from the Monk's camp. Yuki and Dana were trying to weaken the iron on the bars with their magic, "Ok Daria, try it now," Dana said. Daria pulled out a rather large war hammer from.... somewhere, and with one mighty swing, she was able to break the latch on the cage.

"Great! Now we can get Mavis, and get out of here," Kelly said, as Daria began to swing her hammer on Mavis' cage, breaking the latch in only a few swings.

"Merci," Mavis said, as they all quickly made their escape.

"Where do we go from here?" Veronica asked. Mavis looked around, and recognized some of the flora, including a peculiarly shaped dead tree.

"Wait, I think I know of a secret entrance into the Yokai Village I grew up in," Mavis said.

"How do you know?" Wanda asked.

"That tree is a marker, from what Maman would call it, that hides the Village from the human world," Mavis replied, pointing to the tree.

"Is there like, some kind of barrier or something that can keep those Monks out?" Toby asked.

"Oui. In fact, a Yokai is needed to open the gateway," Mavis replied, as the approached the tree.

"HALT!" a voice called out. From up in the trees, what appeared to be a woman with the lower body of a spider dropped down in front of the group. She looked to have six, glowing red eyes, short, bowl cut white hair, "Who dares to approach one of the entrances to the Yokai Kingdom?" she demanded. She then noticed Mavis, "A Yuuki Onna? What are you doing outside of the village?"

"S'il te plaƮt, we just escaped from the Monks who attacked the village a few months ago. We would like to go into the village to keep away from them," Mavis explained.

"Well, alright. Let me just get someone over here, first," the spider woman said, as she held up a handful of threads, and began tugging on one of them, "Are these humans with the Monks, or against them?" she asked.

"We ain't with the Monks, we can assure you of that," Nathan said.

"If they're jsut trying exterminate the Yokai for no real reason at all, then we're on your side," Nyx said.

"As are we," Wanda said.

"Ok then," the spider woman said, as she felt some tugging on the threads, "Ok, proceed through that cave there. A Nopperabo will take you to see the Queen," she said, motioning to a cave on the other side of the tree, that was somewhat hidden by some overgrown moss.

"Thank you getting permission for us," Wanda said, as the made their way to the cave.

"Hold on, kid," the spider woman said, getting Mavis' attention, "Your mother... her name wouldn't happen to have been 'Alice', would it?" she asked.

"Oui," Mavis replied.

"I see. Alice was a very close friend of mine. You look an awful lot like her when she was a kid," the spider woman solemnly said, as she leapt back into the trees. Mavis quickly rejoined her friends, as they entered the cave.

"I can hardly see anything in here," Josh commented.

"Let me see about that," Dana replied, conjuring a fireball. Mavis instinctively ducked away from the Food Nymph, as not to be overheated by her fire. They saw that the cave goes deeper, "Is this the way, Mavis?" she asked.

"O-oui," Mavis replied, as they continued to walk. They kept walking for about 10 minutes, until they came across what appeared to be a man in traditional Japanese clothing, and had his back facing the group.

"Are you the group that Jiro told the Village Gate Guards about?" the man asked.

"If you're referring to that spider woman we met outside, then yes," Cory replied.

"I see. Then follow me. I'll take you the rest of the way to the village to meet the Queen," the man said, never once turning to face the group.

"This guy must be the Nopperabo that Spider Woman told us about," Nyx commented.

"Now hold on there, we don't know what a Nopperabo looks like. For all we know, he could be a human," Sky said, as they arrived at the end of the tunnel, which had a big red gate like structure just outside of it. At the base of the gate, the group saw a pair of unusual characters. One was a blue skinned woman, wielding a large, spiked club, dressed in a yellow, thunder print bikini, while the other looked to be an anthropomorphic fox with nine tails.

"Hajime, are these the people Jiro told us about?" the fox asked.

"I believe so. The youngest of them is a Yuuki Onna," the man they met in the tunnel replied.

"They don't appear to be with the Monks, so go ahead and take them on towards the castle," the blue woman said, holding a slip of paper up to the gate, causing something to spark. Hajime then continued to lead the group to the large castle situated in the middle of the city.

"Uh, Hajime, was it? What did that woman do?" Trinity asked.

"She used a special kind of talismen to open up the barrier to the city. See, there's a barrier surrounding the entire city, which prevents unwelcome outsiders, like those monks, from entering the city," Hajime replied, as they now began to ascend a flight of stairs, which led to the palace gates. Hajime then knocked on the door, which soon opened up to reveal a small, turtle like creature, "Takahashi, we have guests for the Queen," he said. The small turtle like yokai then looked at the group, his gaze then fixed on Mavis.

"Is that Yuuki Onna girl with them?" Takahashi asked.

"Yes. She seems to be friends with them all," Hajime replied.

"I see. I'll take them to meet with the Queen," Takahashi said.

"Alright then," Hajime said, turning to face the group. Only, much to the group's shock, save for Mavis, Hajime had no face, like, whatsoever, "This is as far as I take you. Takahashi will take you to meet with the Queen," he said, as he walked back down the stairs.

"Please, come this way," Takahashi said, inviting them into the castle grounds.

"Uh, Mavis, about Hajime..." Charity began.

"Oui, Hajime is a Nopperabo. Nopperabo aren't hostile Yokai like Oni, but their faceless visage is quite alarming," Mavis replied, as the ventured into the palace.

Author's Note:

Here's some bios of some of the Yokai in Yuuki Onna Mavis' Village:

Yuuki Onna: Also known as "Snow Women", Yuuki Onna are snow spirits that inhabits snowy mountain tops. They appear before travellers who are hiking through the cold enviornment, and take them back to their lair, where they freeze the travellers and decorate their lairs

Oni: Quite possibly the most well known of all Yokai, Oni are vicious brutes who wield tremendous strength and ferocity. They get more powerful with the more alchohol they drink. Since Oni don't have a set legal drinking age, Oni Children often drink Sake or other types of booze. Oni come in two different colors: red or blue

Nopperabo: A faceless Yokai who aren't hostile towards humans, but their faceless visage is quite alarming.

Yurei: Otherwise known as "Onryo", these Yokai are born from the spirits of humans who bear a powerful grudge against someone, and will stop at nothing to exact their revenge. The Ring Movie franchise is based on the stories of this malevenont spirit.

Nure Onna: A vampiric snake like Yokai that has the head of a beautiful woman, but the body of a snake. They often lire their victims over by pretending to be carrying a bundle while washing their hair. If a human offers to take the bundle, it becomes extremely heavy, which gives this serpentine Yokai the perfect chance to strike

Kappa: A turtle like Yokai, and another well known Yokai. They have a strong affinity for cucumbers, and like to live in ponds or streams.