• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 1,079 Views, 178 Comments

What if Mavis was a: - darkmage1997



A few short stories about Mavis being something other than a Mermaid/Gorgon.

  • ...
 178
 1,079

Genie (Part 1)

It was a hot day in the deserts of Equestria, as a class from Twilight's school of Friendship were all travelling to some ruins, said to be the remnants of an ancient civilization. Accompanied by Twilight herself, the pony who was leading them was rather ominous looking, "Alright everyone, we'll be arriving at the ruins momentarily. Please don't touch anything. This civilization were known for booby traps meant to keep trespassers from finding their treasures," the stallion said, as they arrived in a valley, which looked like it was abandoned for centuries.

"This is so cool," Nathan commented, looking at the architecture.

"There's more legends about these particular ruins than any other ruins in the world," the sleazy looking stallion replied.

"What pony mean?" Yona asked.

"Well, I heard of an artifact hidden in a desert ruins that can grant the wishes of ANYONE who get's a hold of it. But the artifact itself is extremely well guarded, and near impossible to get to," the stallion explained.

"Wouldn't it be awesome if these were those ruins?" Vibrant whispered to her friends.

"It would be, but I doubt something like that can possibly exist," Trinity replied.

"Just tread lightly. We don't know if any of these stone floors are stable. They could cave in and you could...."

*CRASH*

The stallion turned to see that a large chuck of the flooring had collapsed in on itself. The screams of the students echoed through the opening, as Twilight, Smolder, Gallius, and Ocellus flew down to rescue them, "Fall into an unknown cavern," the sleazy stallion sighed, before his face turned sinister, "But getting rid of those fools would probably make getting the Lamp that much easier," he cackled wickedly.


Meanwhile, at the bottom of the chasm,

Nathan groaned as he regained consciousness. He woke up to see a certain, yellow alicorn filly, staring directly into his eyes, "Ya ok, hon?" Applebloom asked.

"Ah've been better, but what happened?" he asked, as he sat up.

"We fell through a hole in the ceiling. Thankfully, there was a ton of sand to break our fall," Toby said, looking around, as Twilight and the others soon arrived.

"Is everyone alright?" Twilight asked. A round of confirmations was her answer.

"So, how do we get out of here? We can't go back the way we came in," Sweetie Belle commented.

"There must be another way out of here. We just have to look around for it," Kelly said, sitting on a rock, which almost immediately sank. Soon, a section in the walls opened up, to reveal a massive treasury.

"Whoa, looks like the entire fortune of every known kingdom is here!" Scootaloo said, looking at the mountains of gold and jewels.

"I'm sure no one will notice if we help ourselves," a certain chubby unicorn colt commented, eyeing the treasure with greed.

"Not so fast there Snips. Take a look at this," Josh said, inspecting a tablet on the floor, "'Those who enter this room may touch nothing by the sacred Lamp'. Wonder what that means?" he pondered.

"Well, maybe we can find a way out through here. Stay close everyone, and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!" Twilight instructed, enunciating the last three words, as she and her students all entered the treasure room, being careful not to touch anything by mistake.

"Hey, there's some kind of glow over there!" Silverstream exclaimed, pointing in one direction. And sure enough, on the other side of the room, they saw some kind of blue light, shining through.

"That looks promising," Mike commented, as they headed over to the other side of the room. However, their hopes were all dashed, when they only saw a deeper part of the cave, with now real exit. They only saw a large alter, bathed in some kind of luminescent light. At the top, they saw what appeared to be an oil lamp.

"Oh, great! We go all this way, just for a piece of junk?! Give me a break!" Diamond Tiara dramatically complained, falling into Bolt's arms, like she fainted.

"Ah think I remember this from a movie. A guy finds a lamp like that, and releases a genie, which grants him three wishes," Nathan commented, as he began to ascend the stairs. This sparked a bit of hope in each of the students, but Twilight remained pessimistic.

"Hold on Nathan. I find that to be completely farfetched. Besides, there's no guaranteeing that the lamp even has a genie inside," Twilight commented.

"What's a genie?" Applebloom asked.

"A wish granting spirit. They're mostly found trapped inside lamps like that," Toby explained.

"That message did say something about a lamp. Think that could be what it was talking about?" Bolt asked.

"Only one way ta find out," Nathan commented, as Twilight stayed close to him, ready to pull him out of any danger. Gingerly, Nathan took the lamp from the alter, and nothing happened.

"Ok, so it was that lamp. But what do we do now?" Silver Spoon wondered. Nathan was too transfixed by the lamp, seeing a blue glow.

"How does genie get released?" Yona asked.

"Well, it usually takes a rub of the lamp," Toby replied, as Nathan rubbed the lamp. Just then, fireworks began shooting out of lamp, causing many of the students to duck behind rocks, while Nathan dropped the lamp, and Twilight pulled him into a barrier, as smoke began emitting from the lamp. The smoke soon materialized into a human girl, who looked to be about four years old, dressed in pajamas, and holding a teddy bear.

"*Yawn* Can't a girl get a good 2,000 year nap around?" the girl complained, before seeing where she was, "Oh, looks like someone set me free. Now, who is my new master?" the girl wondered, looking around, as two men, dressed like genies appeared. One looked comical, and the other one looked equally carefree.

"Well Mavis, it would appear you've been released. You know what happens next, right?" one of the men asked.

"Oui, I must grant the wishes of the one who freed moi," the girl said, as she snapped her fingers, changing her clothes into similar genie garbs.

"Uh, excuse me?" Twilight asked, getting the men and girl's attention, "Sorry that my nephew here woke you up, but, who are you, and what was all that smoking from the lamp?" she asked. The girl then turned to Nathan.

"Oh, so that must make you mon new master," the girl said, looking at the Texas boy.

"Uh, what do you mean 'master'?" Nathan asked, uncomfortable with how the girl was looking at him.

"Well, you were the one who rubbed mon lamp, no?" the girl asked. Nathan cautiously nodded, "Then by genie law, that makes you my new master, until someone else rubs mon lamp. My name is Mavis, by the way. So, Master, what would like from me, THE EVER IMPRESSIVE" She began, morphing into an Arnold Schwarzenegger physique, "LONG CONTAINED" she continued, breaking free from a small box, "Often imitated," she said, pulling out a ventriloquist dummy, "But never duplicated," she continued, as several copies of her appeared, "Genie, of the LAMP!?" Mavis asked, her legs turning into mist.

"And what about the two of you?" Twilight asked the two adult genies.

"Ah yes, we are young Mavis' Genie Proctors. We're here to help train her to grant wishes," the second genie replied, as name tags appeared on each of them, with the names "Bob" and "Marvin" on them.

"Wait, so that whole thing about wishes is true?" Smolder asked.

"3 wishes to be exact. And ixnay on the more wish-ay! That's all you get! Uno, dos, tres," Bob said, turning into a slot machine and a mariachi band.

"And there ain't no returns, exchanges or refunds! All wishes are final!" Marvin added, doing a Groucho Marx impression.

"Ah think, but maybe Aunt Twilight was right. Maybe this is just a buncha hooey," Nathan commented.

"Oh Master, I don't think you quite comprehend the great deal you have going for you! You and your friends can sit back, while I illuminate, the possibilities!" Mavis said, as the three genies all broke out into a jazzy show tune.

"Ok, but how does the wishing work, exactly?" Twilight asked. The three genies looked at her in disbelief.

"You're..... kidding right? The whole song was the instructions!" Marvin yelled.

"Ok, we'll make it simpler for you. All you have to do is say what you want, and if you're the last one to have rubbed the lamp, then you'll get it," Bob explained.

"So... we can wish for.... anything?" Toby asked. Most of the kids hoped that they could see their real parents again.

"Not quite. There are a few restriction.... limitations, if you would. First off, you can't ask Mavis to kill anyone. Secondly, you can't make wishes regarding love. Thirdly, she can't bring anyone back from the dead," Marvin explained, dashing the hopes of the kids.

"As long as your wishes follow those rules, you can wish away," Mavis said, as she held up a hand mirror, checking her hair. Nathan then got an idea on how to save on everyone's wishes.

"Wait, 'limitations'? 'Restrictions'? Ah thought genies were all powerful! Maybe Ah was right about that wishing biz bein' a load of hooey," Nathan commented. This caused Mavis to look at him from her mirror, with a vengeful look in her eyes, "C'mon guys. She probably couldn't get us out o' here anyhow," Nathan said, as he turned to leave, only to be stopped by an giant foot.

"EXCUSE MOI? Are you looking at me? Did you rub mon lamp? Did you bring me here? I have been waiting to be free for so long, and NOW you're walking out on me?! Not a chance, no way! You're getting your wishes, so TAKE A SEAT!" Mavis' voice boomed, as she unfurled a giant sized rug, which everyone promptly sat on, "In the event of an emergency, exits are located all around you. Please keep all hands arms, feet, legs, tails, horns, wings, and other appendages inside the bounds of the carpet until we come to a complete stop. Now, hold on tight, and ALONSY!" she said, as she bore through the cave walls, with the carpet in tow, leaving Bob and Marvin in the cave.

"She fell for the oldest trick in the book, didn't she?" Bob asked.

"Yep," Marvin replied, as they followed after them.


Meanwhile, with the sleazy stallion,

"The entrance has to be around here somewhere! But where?!" he roared, not finding anything. It was when he head some nearby stone being blown apart, that he saw a little girl, dressed as a genie, leading a large carpet with Twilight and her class on it away from the ruins, "They must've found the lamp!" the stallion exclaimed, as his face cracked apart, revealing him to be Sombra, "Well, this makes my plans so much easier," he cackled, as he turned to shadows, and went off somewhere.