• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 1,076 Views, 178 Comments

What if Mavis was a: - darkmage1997



A few short stories about Mavis being something other than a Mermaid/Gorgon.

  • ...
 178
 1,076

Chapter 1: Werewolf (Part 1)

It was a brisk, Fall evening in the Crystal Empire. Families were putting their foals to bed, shops were closing, and couples were out on dates. As the Full Moon began to rise over the empire, one particular couple, however was heading home after a date at one of the most poshest restraunts in the empire. They were Princess Cadence, and her husband, Prince Shining Armor, co-rulers of the Crystal Empire, "Did you enjoy it, my love?" Shining Armor asked.

"It was one of the most excellent dinners we've had all year Shiny," Cadence replied. However, before the went any further, they saw something, or rather, someone, a very young someone, was walking along the sidewalks, all alone. Judging by the wardrobe, they knew in an instant that the child was a human girl. She was wearing a very well made, but short Gothic Lolita dress, and looked to have a very frightened face, and she looked as though she had not eaten properly in days. She had raven black hair, beautiful green eyes that were red and puffy. They had assumed she was crying, as she walked along the sidewalk, holding onto the sides of the buildings as she walked.

"I need to find my way out of here.... got to get out of this place," they heard the girl say. Judging by her accent, they assumed she was from the human version of Cadence's home country of Prance. The little girl then looked up to see the royal couple. With a frightened squeak, she ducked into the alley way, hoping to have gotten out of sight, 'Please don't find me, please don't find me, please don't find me," she chanted in her mind, as she heard the hoof steps getting closer and closer to here. More tears began running down her cheek, as she feared the worst of the worst.

"Um, excuse me?" she heard Cadence asked worriedly. The little girls heart sank, as she looked up to see that she was discovered. She squeaked and tried to run away, only to trip over a small, but heavy rock.

"S'il vous plaît, ne me faites pas mal!" the girl pleaded in her native tongue.

"Chut, ne t'inquiète pas, je ne te ferai pas de mal. je veux vous aider," Cadence replied, speaking the same exact language. The girl look genuinely surprised to see the humanoid pony before her speaking her language.

"You speak F-French too?" the girl inquired.

"I assume that is what you humans refer to as Prench, but yes, I do speak that language," Cadence replied. The girl seemed at ease by the alicorn's tone, but was still nevertheless frightened, "Might I ask what your name is, s'il vous plait?" Cadence asked, trying to keep from scaring the poor girl.

"je m'appelle Mavis Gustou," the young girl replied.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mavis. I am Cadence, the..... head authority of the Crystal Empire, and this is mon mari, Shining Armor," Cadence said, trying to keep the girl from feeling more intimidated by telling Mavis of her role as princess.

"By the way, why are out so late?" Shining Armor questioned. At the question, Mavis began feeling utterly helpless, and broke down crying. She didn't even try to hold back.

"I c-c-can never go b-b-back to my home. There's n-n-nothing left for me there," Mavis sobbed, covering her head. The royal couple felt terrible for the little girl.

"You know, if you want, we could always take you to our home. We'd be more than happy to help you," Cadence offered. This seemed to only frighten Mavis even further.

"non non Non! Je ne peux pas vous accepter cette offre!" Mavis squeaked.

"It's alright sweetheart, we'd love to have you as a guest," Cadence replied. Mavis seemed very unsure of this, and gripped her right arm.

"W-well, I guess I would like to have somewhere w-w-warm to sleep," she murmured quietly.

"Then alright. Let's go and get you some nice hot food, and maybe a relaxing bath," Cadence said, gingerly taking Mavis' left arm, as they led Mavis to their home.

'They seem like nice.... people. But what if they're like THEM?' Mavis thought, as images of a gang of teenagers, dressed like hunters, were all surrounding her. Mavis felt her heart race faster, and her blood running cold. Her thoughts of possible impending doom were cut short, when they arrived at the Crystal Palace. She looked up in awe.

"Princess Cadence, Captain Shining Armor, I see you've enjoyed your evening," one of the guards commented. Mavis' eyes widened, not just in surprise, but in pure horror.

'P-PRINCESS?! Did I do something bad?!' she thought fearfully. She thought about running, but thoughts of the guards chasing after her quickly snuffed out that idea.

"Princess, who is this little girl?" the guard asked.

"This is Mavis. She'll be staying with us for the time being," Cadence replied.

"Um... o-on second thought, m-maybe I shouldn't," Mavis said almost inaudibly, too quiet for the adults to hear her.

"As such, could you go prepare a guest room for her? We'll bring her up after we get her something to eat," Cadence said.

"At once your majesty," the guard said, as he went to take care of the task he was given.

"As for you, let's get you something to eat. You look like you haven't eaten in days," Cadence said, as she began walking Mavis into the castle. Or rather, she was dragging Mavis in with her, as Mavis seemed too reluctant to go in, "Is there something wrong, precious?" Cadence asked.

"I-I don't think this is a g-good idea after all, princess," Mavis stammered.

"Why ever not?" Shining Armor asked.

"I-I don't want to ask for f-food from royalty," Mavis replied, trying desperately to run away.

"It's no problem at all Mavis. We're happy to give you something to eat," Cadence soothed.

"mais je ne suis qu'une fille que vous avez trouvée. Pourquoi voudriez-vous aider quelqu'un comme moi?" Mavis asked.

"Do we really need a reason to help someone? You're someone whose scared and alone. Keeping you from feeling like that is more than enough reason for helping you," Cadence replied. Mavis tried thinking of something to counter that, but she quickly dismissed that idea, as she didn't want to argue with a princess, and just gave in.

"O-ok. I would just like some du pain grillé, s'il vous plait," Mavis sighed in defeat.

"Is that all you want?" Cadence asked. Mavis simply nodded, "Alright, how many slices would you like?"

"seulement deux," Mavis replied.

"Would you like butter, or jam on your toast?" Cadence asked. Mavis shook her head. "Well, what about something to drink?" she added.

"peut-être juste un verre de lait?" Mavis asked.

"Of course," Cadence said, as she led Mavis to the kitchen. There, they saw a familiar human boy, fixing himself a sandwich.

"Hey Mommy, welcome back," Nathan greeted. Mavis hid behind the counter.

'Oh no, a human!' she thought, trembling fearfully.

"Fixing yourself a little snack, I see?" Cadence asked.

"Yeah, I wanted something on my stomach before hittin' the hay," Nathan replied.

"Well, just nothing big. We don't want another of your sleepwalking incidents," Cadence warned. Nathan shuddered at the memory of the aforementioned incident. Images of him walking around in his underwear, while in a trance, filled his head. Nathan then took noticed of something around the corner, "Oh, that reminds me. We have a guest staying with us," Cadence said, pulling Mavis from her hiding place. Mavis was full on hyperventilating upon being seen by Nathan, "Nathan, this is Mavis Gustou. Mavis, this is Nathan, my and Shining Armor's eldest son," Cadence said, introducing the two.

"Nice to meet ya Mavis," Nathan said. Mavis didn't reply, only hiding behind Cadence.

"She's very shy and timid. You might want to give her some time to warm up to you," Cadence advised. Nathan nodded, as he took his sandwich, and went back to his room, "Now Mavis, you don't need to be scared of Nathan. He can be a bit of a.... tough guy, but he's a very nice boy," Cadence reassured. Mavis didn't seem too convinced, 'What in Equestria happened to you?' Cadence thought to herself, as she began making toast for Mavis. She put two slices of bread in the toaster, before going to make a small cup of milk. She got the milk carton from the fridge, and poured it into the cup. The toast finished, as they popped out from the toaster. Cadence place both slices on a plate. She then sat Mavis at the table, and placed her meager dinner in front of her. Mavis then proceeded to eat the toast, and drink the milk. After a few minutes, she was done.

"Merci beaucoup," Mavis said.

"Now, how about a nice bath before bed?" Cadence suggested, as she took the 'human' girl to her room. Mavis thought worriedly for a second.

'I can't let them know about that. They may turn me in as some attraction,' Mavis thought fearfully, "Uh, p-princess, if it's not too much t-trouble, could I maybe b-bathe alone?" Mavis asked.

"Whatever makes you more comfortable. I'll be right outside the door if you need me," Cadence said, as she prepared the bathtub, making sure it wasn't too hot or cold, and was just the right height. With that, she gave Mavis a towel and a washcloth, and exited the bathroom. Mavis began undressing.

'Ok, I didn't see the Full Moon, but I should still be careful,' Mavis thought, as she crawled into the bathtub. She then proceeded to wash every inch of herself. After a few minutes, she rinsed herself off, and drained the bathtub. She then climbed out of the tub, and carefully let herself down to the floor. Grabbing a towel off from the sink, she proceeded to dry herself off. Once she was dried off, she redressed herself, and exited the bathroom.

"Do you feel any better, precious?" Cadence asked.

"Oui," Mavis solemnly replied.

"Well, let's get you to bed now," Cadence said, as she helped Mavis into the bed that was in the room, "I'm sure my sister in law, my aunts, and all their friends are going to love you," Cadence said, tucking the young girl into bed, "Goodnight Mavis," Cadence said, planting a small kiss on Mavis' head, before heading to the door, "And if you need me or Shining Armor for anything, our bedroom is right down the hall," Cadence said, as she left Mavis in the room. Mavis was trying to go to sleep, but kept tossing and turning in bed. Getting frustrated, she decided to go out onto the balcony, where she then proceeded to look out over the Crystal Empire.

"Is this to be mon new home?" Mavis wondered. It was then she noticed something. There was still light out, even though it was nighttime. Looking around, she tried to find the source. It was then she wish she hadn't, because right there, above the castle, was the Full Moon. She tried desperately to look away, but the majesty of the moon was too much for her to break sight of it. She then felt her teeth sharpening, "Oh no, the change is starting!" Mavis screamed, as she gripped her head in agony, as a monstrous transformation took hold of her. Looking at her hands, she saw her nails began to sharpen and elongate, as her hands turned into large paws, with pitch black fur covering her arms. She felt her feet getting bigger. Looking down, she saw her feet went under a similar transformation as her hands. She grunted, as she felt a long, bushy tail sprouted from her backside, and her ears relocated themselves to the top of her head. Once her transformation was complete, she let out a howl that echoed throughout the Crystal Empire.


Outside Mavis' room,

Nathan was on his way back to his room from taking his dirty dishes back to the kitchen, "Now Ah'm ready ta hit the hay," Nathan commented, as he passed by Mavis' room. He was about to continue on, when he heard grunting coming from behind the door. Feeling concerned, he felt obligated to investigate, "Mavis? Are ya alright?" Nathan asked. All he heard was growling coming from behind the door, "Ah was just askin'," Nathan asked defensively. But upon listening closer, he could tell that grunting and growling was out of pain. One of the guards came walking by.

"Prince Nathan, is everything alright?" the guard asked.

"Ah honestly don't know. Could ya go git mommy and Daddy? Ah think something's wrong with Mavis," Nathan asked. The guard nodded, and dashed off to get the Crystal Couple. Within minutes, the guard returned with Cadence and Shining Armor.

"Nathan, what's this about something being wrong with...." Cadence didn't get a chance to finish her question, as a bone chilling howl echoed through the halls, emanating from Mavis' room.

"Does that answer your question?" Nathan asked. Reluctantly, Cadence nodded, as she used her magic to open the door. She was about to open it all the way, but stopped when she saw a sight that made the three of them all gasp in a mix of shock and horror. There, on the balcony, was Mavis, but she had beastly arms and legs, wolf like ears and a tail. Mavis turned to look at them with golden, yellow eyes. At first, she looked at them with a curious look, only for it to turn to an angry one, as she pounced at them with a roar.